Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lost HDD or not

Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

This is a confusing problem.

Recently reinstalled win 7 and lost hdd in bios but shows up in device manager, but only one hdd showing up in my computer.

I have 3 HDD

Deskstar 120 gb scsi

Maxtor 320 gb ATA 

Samsung spinpoint 500gb ATA

Bios shows Maxtor (Boot disc)  and sometimes it shows the Samsung, at the moment it disappeared from bios.

My Computer shows the samsung with all programmes installed and showing all normality of a root drive, but it isnt the boot disc. no other HDD showing.

Device driver shows all drives and systems tells me all drivers are up to date and show working normally.

I Have checked all the connectors 3 times over and still at a loss on whats going on.  at a last resort i may consider formatting completely and see if that fixes things, as the windows installation cd shows all drives.

CD drive is working fine in all cases.

Any ideas what maybe going on here?

Comments

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Wrong config in your bios maybe you have it on raid0 or not selected the hardrives you've installed?

Side note also dont forget to update your bios with latest update sometimes also help fixing problems.

• ElgarLElgarL Member UncommonPosts: 191

Don't forget to install the Intel drivers (if it's an Intel board). Often some devices don't show up until they are installed.

Else right click 'My Computer' and select 'Manage computer'

In the menu on the left select 'Disk Management'

Make sure all partitions are correct.

Creator of ELTank and Nostalgia

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Thank you for info guys.  Disk management got me the hard drives showing up in my computer now.  got to check the bios and find out how to update it later, moving files about now and trying to reorganize my files.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye
    Thank you for info guys.  Disk management got me the hard drives showing up in my computer now.  got to check the bios and find out how to update it later, moving files about now and trying to reorganize my files.

The setting in the BIOS they are talking about is the SATA port configuration. There is also a Boot configuration.

For Boot configuration unless you know more about than your posts imply DO NOT choose UEFI. Keep it on Legacy.

For SATA port configuration each of the types has different pluses and minuses but what is most important is its setting when you installed the OS.  Those settings can be called something like RAID, RAID + AHCI, RAID + ATA, AHCI, ATA, and Legacy. If you installed the OS with the SATA port set up as one of those configurations and you then change the configuration then Windows will BSOD during start-up. It will continue to BSOD until you return the configuration to the setting you had when you installed the OS.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Originally posted by Grunty
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

The setting in the BIOS they are talking about is the SATA port configuration. There is also a Boot configuration.

For Boot configuration unless you know more about than your posts imply DO NOT choose UEFI. Keep it on Legacy.

For SATA port configuration each of the types has different pluses and minuses but what is most important is its setting when you installed the OS.  Those settings can be called something like RAID, RAID + AHCI, RAID + ATA, AHCI, ATA, and Legacy. If you installed the OS with the SATA port set up as one of those configurations and you then change the configuration then Windows will BSOD during start-up. It will continue to BSOD until you return the configuration to the setting you had when you installed the OS.

HAha thanks for the heads up, I think I shall leave well alone then, i'm not completely clueless around pc's I built this one, but when it gets a bit more technical with no experience messing with them things, then I'm dumber than dumb. :)