Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Star Wars: The Old Republic: Cathar, Update 2.1 & Free To Play

Comments

• RogooRogoo Member Posts: 6

Too bad that there are monkeys coding their game.

Unplayable framerates on top of the line rigs are a VERY common thing in SWTOR.

Seriously, my cat would do a better job of optimizing this POS engine.

• mjolnir1122mjolnir1122 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by mCalvert

SWTORs Free to play isnt really free though. You can not play the new expansion without purchasing it. Thus the game is really Buy to play, or partially free. Im not saying Im against cash shop or paying to remove experience debuffs or whatever. But i feel free to play should allow you to play all content for free.

No, actually it is technically free to play.  The base game is levels 1-50, and you are able to play that for free without ever having to pay a dime.  RotHC is an expansion, and therefore not included in the base 1-50 game experience.  That's like saying that because I bought the original World of Warcraft game and pay my 15 dollar a month sub, that I should get all content thereafter for free.

It costs a lot of time and money to develop new content, and so far SWTOR has received alot of new, free content, moreso than most games.  If they were to start giving you full expansions for free the whole game would be closed down in 6 months.  A company can't spend massive amounts of money to develop a game only to give it out for free.  How do you expect them to make that money back, and more, to continue creating future content?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I don't get how posters feel since it is labeled f2p, that all content should be accessible to the free players.  How do you expect EA to pay for the servers and content additions?  The really nice thing about SWTOR, if you like the game you can sub.  Try playing Neverwinter and watch how much it costs you to access the content without a sub option.  A lot more than a normal sub.

There is no game that I know of, that is labeled f2p and truely free to play all content.  I suppose if you had nothing else to do and played one specific f2p for eons, some might be free, but players like that are a very tiny minority. 

SWTOR is not for everyone, but the servers are doing quite well right now.  Seems that EA has a f2p model that works.

• deadmanbelldeadmanbell Member UncommonPosts: 69

I just started playing and subbing about a month ago. I have been really enjoying it, but I still would rather have things like Chat bubbles, Higher rez graphics, etc. This is much to do about nothing. Now that they are comfortable with the F2P lets see how it unfolds the new few months. That will be the test. Hope they turn it around even more.  But still needs a lot of work. 

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

SWTOR Free to Play is hands down worst F2P implementation seen today.

Free players hit brick wall as soon as lvl 16. They will be under leveled for regular progress. Even their skill bar is so limited it can not hold all class skills.

From there on its either huge frustration or paying to play

Straight F2P players receive two Quickbars and can easily pick up any additional ones for quite cheap on the AH. Preferred Status players (those who drop a mere five bucks on the game, this includes any former Subscribers) are opened up to four Quickbars, and Subscribers have access to six. Having done Operations as a Marauder (a class that tends to juggle more skills than some others), I've never really had a need for more than three. As such, two to four Quickbars are more than adequate to level to 50, and you can always pick up more if you feel you need them. SWTOR also has the ability to bind a key to switch Quickbar rows, so you can actually get around any sort of restrictions there entirely for most of your less-often used skills or other Quickbar miscellany.

As for experience. Once you hit 20 you'll receive 20% less XP than what standard subscribers receive. This isn't even worth noting, honestly.  I am playing through the game right now with a friend (we are both Subscribers) and we are something like seven or more levels above the range for the planets we are on (we started Tatooine, a level 24-28 planet, at 31 on Imperial side, for example). A 20% drop in experience isn't going to make much of a difference here and this was without doing any Flashpoints other than Black Talon and also without participating in PvP.

The fact of the matter is, if you're actually doing the game content you outlevel the game. This has always been true. I honestly wish I could impose a 20% or more experience penalty on my account while still remaining a subscriber. It's just ridiculously easy to outlevel stuff in SWTOR. On top of that, experience boosts are provided regularly by quests and can be cheaply acquired on the AH for anyone who needs them for whatever reason.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by deadmanbell

I just started playing and subbing about a month ago. I have been really enjoying it, but I still would rather have things like Chat bubbles, Higher rez graphics, etc. This is much to do about nothing. Now that they are comfortable with the F2P lets see how it unfolds the new few months. That will be the test. Hope they turn it around even more.  But still needs a lot of work. 

Have you set Character Texture Atlasing to High? This is set to Low, I believe, by default. Setting this to High will render characters at the same resolution as they are displayed in cutscenes. I don't know if that's enough to satisfy your eyecandy needs, but I thought I'd throw it out there. :)

Originally posted by Gormok

Let's see were do I start? Limited credit cap with no way to unlock it via CM, that make selling stuff on the GTN a waste of time since you can hit the 350k cap really quick. They give you five GTN slots with the option to purchase more, but what is the point of that when you cant hold no more that 250-350k credits.

The ability to withdraw from escrow for a small fee is actually coming in 2.1.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    That vid makes the game look so sad :/

• stylinwileystylinwiley Member Posts: 22
    Sub can't unless they buy it
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

SWTOR Free to Play is hands down worst F2P implementation seen today.

Free players hit brick wall as soon as lvl 16. They will be under leveled for regular progress. Even their skill bar is so limited it can not hold all class skills.

From there on its either huge frustration or paying to play

Straight F2P players receive two Quickbars and can easily pick up any additional ones for quite cheap on the AH. Preferred Status players (those who drop a mere five bucks on the game, this includes any former Subscribers) are opened up to four Quickbars, and Subscribers have access to six. Having done Operations as a Marauder (a class that tends to juggle more skills than some others), I've never really had a need for more than three. As such, two to four Quickbars are more than adequate to level to 50, and you can always pick up more if you feel you need them. SWTOR also has the ability to bind a key to switch Quickbar rows, so you can actually get around any sort of restrictions there entirely for most of your less-often used skills or other Quickbar miscellany.

As for experience. Once you hit 20 you'll receive 20% less XP than what standard subscribers receive. This isn't even worth noting, honestly.  I am playing through the game right now with a friend (we are both Subscribers) and we are something like seven or more levels above the range for the planets we are on (we started Tatooine, a level 24-28 planet, at 31 on Imperial side, for example). A 20% drop in experience isn't going to make much of a difference here and this was without doing any Flashpoints other than Black Talon and also without participating in PvP.

The fact of the matter is, if you're actually doing the game content you outlevel the game. This has always been true. I honestly wish I could impose a 20% or more experience penalty on my account while still remaining a subscriber. It's just ridiculously easy to outlevel stuff in SWTOR. On top of that, experience boosts are provided regularly by quests and can be cheaply acquired on the AH for anyone who needs them for whatever reason.

Reduced XP is a hindrance when you have already done the side quests on other chars, and only want to do the class quests, as doing some of the side quests again and again make me cringe. The quests are also so linear, whereas in LOTRO and WOW for example you can take whatever quests as long as you are the right level, and they have may 100% unique quest lines (LOTRO has 4), but can mix them up if you want. SWTOR has 2 100% quest lines (then it is 10% unique and 90% the same), as the 3rd plus chars you are repeating quests.

I enjoyed the game again when they added double XP as could play through the class missions only, and avoid many side quests already done on other characters.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    I really don't like how EA/Bioware treats its subscribers. Subscribers pay monthly for access to EVERYTHING in the game, yet Cathar will still have to be bought, as did their last "expansion." Worthless game.
  • KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576

Since I have seen what ArenaNet have done with GW2 month after month for only the box cost, I kind of resent playing SWTOR, after paying for the box, an upgrade, month after month of subscriptions, and getting very very little back in return. 

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Asking for subscribers to pay for a new race is just ridiculous, specially considering how little effort has been put into the 'new race'.. it's just a rehash of the same exact model as every other 'race' in the game with a different skin!

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

I thought the new race was a joke...cat people..I thought it was people mocking the game and it's developers...really cat  people.....we can introduce dog men and rat folk later on...really cat people...They don't even look like the "Cathars" from the EU that really looked like cat people..these are just humans with cat features...I thought "Cyborgs" was lame as well as the blind guys but this is just comical..

I am looking forward to the next Star Wars MMO..hopefully ready before I am too old to play it.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

So, what´s new from the space sim front? I only want a Star Wars space combat trading mining sim. And I want it now.

Or do I have to play X-Wing Alliance Upgrade project forever? Come one, not a single Star Wars space sim out there since over a decade, are you kidding?

Btw, who is editing your videos? 50 seconds length and half of it are logos? Errm.. ok...

• JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Asking for subscribers to pay for a new race is just ridiculous, specially considering how little effort has been put into the 'new race'.. it's just a rehash of the same exact model as every other 'race' in the game with a different skin!

That, and the fact that they're charging subscribers cash to change their eye color, is just one more in an endless string of indicators that the current generation of game developers have no idea why people who prefer subscriptions actually do prefer subscriptions. It's sure not because we want to spend lots of additional time in cash shops buying basic services and game functionality. Charge me more per month if you absolutely have to in order to survive, but stop pushing me towards virtual shopping carts.

I'm playing these games to get away from day-to-day concerns; having to check my entertainment budget every time I want to do something in-game is not providing me the service I'm paying for. Seriously. Charge me $25/month, but give me access to every darned thing your art department and programmers put into the game. I'm sick of hassling with this stuff. If I've opted to pay you for the whole game, stop trying to sell me the pieces of it you intentionally withheld.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by Jenuviel

That, and the fact that they're charging subscribers cash to change their eye color, is just one more in an endless string of indicators that the current generation of game developers have no idea why people who prefer subscriptions actually do prefer subscriptions. It's sure not because we want to spend lots of additional time in cash shops buying basic services and game functionality. Charge me more per month if you absolutely have to in order to survive, but stop pushing me towards virtual shopping carts.

I'm playing these games to get away from day-to-day concerns; having to check my entertainment budget every time I want to do something in-game is not providing me the service I'm paying for. Seriously. Charge me $25/month, but give me access to every darned thing your art department and programmers put into the game. I'm sick of hassling with this stuff. If I've opted to pay you for the whole game, stop trying to sell me the pieces of it you intentionally withheld.

This. ^

Charge me $25 a month and in return I get EVERYTHING, all the crap in the cash shop, all "dlc/expansion" crap, and I'll happily stay subbed. Until then, I stay preferred and buy NOTHING from the shop and continue to be the little leaching locust EAware wants me to be.

So the fact that as a subscriber you get 500 cartel coins each month (600 with a security key) essentially means that one month of cartel coins granted to you buys the new Race unlock utterly meaningless to you?

Conveniently forgetting that the Cartel Market is balanced around the cartel coin stipend is being deliberately obtuse.

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279

I personally have no problem with the f2p model.

I have not spent ANY money on this game beyond my initial purchase at launch and I've been able to use artifact and event gear for quite a while. I've unlocked several races without spending a single penny further than already stated.

I understand how to rotate skill bars. I LIKE slower leveling and when i was at "normal" leveling I was many times out leveling a planet before even reaching it.

As for "rehashing" side quests... well EVERY game has the exact same side quests for every class/character so complaining about them seems a bit...petty

All in all I have very little problems with ANY f2p model because I do not play f2p (as free) to be my primary game. Instead I leach every inch I can from the f2p game that I can. I have often times been a defender of this game, and f2p in general. It is easy to do it as the only people who can get "offended" at f2p are people who WANT to get offended by it. Games like SWTOR allow for a sub, and (until cathar are released) you are granted everything. Other f2p games that are sub do much the same (LOTRO for example) so how someone can get offended at something offered to them for free is just silly.

Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • JenuvielJenuviel Member Posts: 960
    Originally posted by Skuz

This. ^

Charge me $25 a month and in return I get EVERYTHING, all the crap in the cash shop, all "dlc/expansion" crap, and I'll happily stay subbed. Until then, I stay preferred and buy NOTHING from the shop and continue to be the little leaching locust EAware wants me to be.

So the fact that as a subscriber you get 500 cartel coins each month (600 with a security key) essentially means that one month of cartel coins granted to you buys the new Race unlock utterly meaningless to you?

Conveniently forgetting that the Cartel Market is balanced around the cartel coin stipend is being deliberately obtuse.

Four months ago, my $15 paid for everything in the game. Now, my $15 pays for most of the stuff in the game..except for a lot of the stuff. Yes, the stipend covers some of it, but not all of it. Not even most of it. So, yes, I could buy the race with my 600 cartel coins, but that still involves dealing with the cartel system (which, frankly, as a subscriber, I'd rather never see), and it doesn't get me the cosmetic items, it won't get me access to the customization vendor (unless I opt not to get the race), et cetera, et cetera.

Look, I'm not out to remove F2P from gaming; I get that most people like it because they prefer to play a lot of games with a lower investment. When EA made the conversion to F2P, though, they kept subscriptions. Ostensibly, they did that because they wanted to retain those of us who aren't big fans of cash shops. Their conversion, however, pays us with credits that push us into the cash shop, then fails to purchase the new content there. As such, our $15 is worth less than it was just a short time ago and we've got a system we don't like dumped on top of us.

What I'm telling EA is this: I want to pay you to make that junk go away in my game. I don't like it, I don't want it, I don't want to have to think about it. Charge me more if necessary,  then give me everything and get out of my way. That's the service I want, that's the service I'm willing to pay for. That's the service I'm used to getting for my subscription dollars. Instead, I constantly end up feeling like they're looking for new ways to take advantage of me. It's frustrating.

• kaludytkkaludytk Member UncommonPosts: 45

600 coins to unlock cathar even as a subscriber. Yeah right, i'll pass. 

I'm sure it will cost even more if you planned to race change.

The alien VO thing is a joke too...I mean, if I have to suffer that disgusting twi'lek language in cutscenes and on nar shadda, I'm sure I can stand to hear it while leveling a Bothan smuggler, Wookie Bowcaster (i wish) or a Kaleesh assassin.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Subscribers should always get all content for free. That includes expansions.
  • MachinationMachination Member UncommonPosts: 70

"Cory Butler: One of the reasons we chose Cathar is because they are new and unfamiliar to many of our players - in much the same way as Rattataki and Chiss - but have been well-received by our players. There were many community requests for the Cathar to be playable."

Really? A "many community request" for this "unfamiliar" race? I've read nothing but people wanting to have Wookiee's, Rodian's, etc. you know, those true iconic Star Wars races. What an insult to the players for this blatant lie.

"We haven't introduced playable species such as Wookiee and Trandoshan because of their inability to speak Galactic Basic. Early in our development, we experimented with playable alien species that could not speak Basic and... well, let's just say you can only listen to so much alien VO in cinematics before you want to re-roll."

I would've definitely enjoyed that and would've resubbed just for that alone. It's a shame you thought otherwise.   

• orionblackorionblack Member UncommonPosts: 493
    Originally posted by Skuz

This. ^

I would gladly give my stipend up if my sub paid for all of these things that they now charge for. So yeah...

Oh and btw..those cartel coins are not free..have to have a sub for them in the first place. How about this..raise the monthly stipend to 1500 cc ( about the price of my sub in coins) and we'll call it even hmm?

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by mCalvert

SWTORs Free to play isnt really free though. You can not play the new expansion without purchasing it. Thus the game is really Buy to play, or partially free. Im not saying Im against cash shop or paying to remove experience debuffs or whatever. But i feel free to play should allow you to play all content for free.

Yes,yes, ... and programmers families should go on streets begging for food and clothing as their fathers and mothers work for free for nice players that want to play free.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by jesteralways
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    No matter how well they do, Unless i am able to use better gear without a subscription then i wont spend money on this game. Spending money doesnt unlock my account to wear good gear to be competitive. Fix that and youll have my cash shop money over other games that dont take my good gear away unless i sub. I dont like subs.

you are not going to add "pay for quick bar" or  "pay for hide head slot" in your list?

Yeah lol. Said it a while back. Reinstalled the game a while ago to check it out again and see how Things were.

The moment I saw I had to PAY to just hide my helmet, I instantly logged off and uninstalled the game again.

It was the most ridiculous F2P implementation and most Extreme form of cash grabbing I have ever seen. gPotato and PWE are almost Saints compared to to what EA is doing With this game lol. /facepalm

• sarabicerysarabicery Member Posts: 2

Freeloaders should be given a "gate" and beyond that you have to help financially support the game in someway. Otherwise, you are here for my entertainment and you better start entertaining me.

Age of Wushu Gold | Buy RS Gold