Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking about making the jump to consoles

shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

PC gaming has been my home for the last 8 years. Been playing multiple mmorpgs over the years alongside some games on steam....mostly mmorpgs. As I look at other websites showing off the next gen consoles like ps4 and xbox 720 im considering getting one. I totally missed out on basically the whole ps3/xbox360 era. Looking on other websites like gamespot, ign, destroid i realize that wow I missed out on some truly awesome games. 8 years ago I had time to have both console and pc with games but then i was too broke to fund both. Now I have a steady job, kids, wife aggro so i have budget for both but not time.

Pros for console to me is the pick up and play gamestyle. I can pick it up for an hour put it down and do whatever i gotta do. Seems more social as well ( know this one gamer chick and she constantly talkin and gaming on xbox360). More game variety.

pros I see for pc is mmorpgs community. Alt Tab and the multitasking while gaming functions. Keyboard and mouse gameplay. 

Cons for console I would think is lack of hardcore players. I mean by that is basically a new game drops..everyone flood to it...then a couple months later everyone is onto the next big thing. I would highly doubt console gamers play the same game day in day out for 4 months (unless its like call of duty).

Con for pc. Im stuck in one spot for hours secluded to myself. Its not really a con for pc but a con for my life. Im usually stuck in 1 spot sitting in a chair by myself for hours. I feel with console at least i can be on a couch where people can sit beside and talk to me etc. Also i heard with the vita u can go mobile while playing ps4. Another Con to pc is the constant upgrading....i do have a bit of cash to spare but not THAT much.

A bit torn....

Comments

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Step back from the ledge son.... think of your family...think of your friends... think of your loved ones!

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138

Not sure what the big deal about upgrading a pc is. You should upgrade maybe every 5 years or more which is similar to console rotation. 

You can pick up and play any pc game unless you're playing a mmo.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You didn't miss much.

Just a bunch of on the rails corridors and cutscenes first / third person shooters.

Pc wise upgrading is less of a chore, most of the really great and original pc games are low system reqs

E.g. terraria, Monaco, minecraft, Torchlight 2, don't starve, hotline Miami.
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    You didn't miss much.

Just a bunch of on the rails corridors and cutscenes first / third person shooters.

Pc wise upgrading is less of a chore, most of the really great and original pc games are low system reqs

E.g. terraria, Monaco, minecraft, Torchlight 2, don't starve, hotline Miami.

....Starbound, Black & White 1, Planet Explorers, etc.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

lol. Consoles are so linear and boring. The controls are linear; thus, gameplay will always feel dumbed down.

If you think MMOs these days are feeling too linear, wait until you experience most games from the console. Not only is the experience much more K12, but the social realm (other players) is beyond annoying, e.g., "BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO BRO".

The worst attitude of MMORPG.com would sound like an elderly and passive professor when compared to the standard console gamer.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

I'm confused. Playing on a console isn't going to magically change sitting in a chair to play video games. It's the same thing, different platform. Also you can hook your PC up to a television so that's not really an issue either.

I'm all for you starting to game on consoles, i just don't see a difference personally. I've been playing my PC games on my 32" TV for around six or seven years now, probably longer.

The sad thing is exclusive games are what used to really make consoles worth playing on. In the past several years, pretty much since the PS3 and Xbox 360 there are fewer and fewer exclusives. I don't mind that in general, i kind of hated the console wars of old. I am disappointed in the whole porting process now tho. With the lack of exclusive games, there's even less quality games. Look at a game like Uncharted 3 compared to any of the ones that are made for all platforms, there's a huge difference in quality and i don't think it should be that way but that's just how it is. I guess the developers are super lazy or maybe they don't have the time and money to put the extra effort into using each consoles properties to its fullest potential. I dunno but it does piss me off.

Anyways yeah console gaming is pretty cool but i wouldn't expect it to change your life. If it does tho that's cool! I do wish you the best.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• treelotreelo Member Posts: 70

Don't expect a console to replace your PC.  You buy one to supplement the other.

Consoles are great for offline titles.  That's about it.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    If there are some exclusives on consoles that you think you'll like then sure.. but if you choose to play a console game when you have a decent enough PC to play the PC version... hmmm no, except for rare occasions like Rage or Demon Souls.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

Why not have both?

At this point I am not upgrading my PC any longer until I nee a new one- I cannot even play new games. But eventually I willl need another PC and will make sure it has gaming power.

Consoles have advantages. Mainly, the 60 inch screen and easy chair you will be sitting in. The PS3 is pretty awesome and has Keyboard/mouse support- I use Tversity to stream my movies from my PC to the Ps3, I have Netflix, surf the web and play games .

PCs have the advantage. More complexity and more to do than just game.

-But you really need both. This generation of consoles will more than likely hurt AAA PC game sales further (the Xbox has already done this) and most games will be ports from console to PC anyhow- PC will give you all the great indie titles though and the ability to Mod your games.

-Regardless. I couldnt choose one over the other. 

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

I go back and forth between the two.

I love the controller in consoles and the voice with friends all so easy.

I play shooters and racers on console and I've played both on PC and they're not as good.

PC for me is for MMO's, strategy games and more complex single player games.

Asdar

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

There are so many great games on console: Deus Ex, Dishonor, Dead Space ...

However, a lot of them are on the PC too. The only one i cannot find on the PC is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (the first one is on the PC).

If you have the right setup, (I use a xbox controller on my pc for some games), the PC feels very much like a console.

If you like beatemups or racers I can see the point to a console.

But over 50% of the games on them just seem to be cod or some variation on gears of war.

There's a lot more variety on pc.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    If you like beatemups or racers I can see the point to a console.

But over 50% of the games on them just seem to be cod or some variation on gears of war.

There's a lot more variety on pc.

And it is even MORE variety if you have both. It is a false dilemma. There is no reason to choose one over another.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Originally posted by asdar

I go back and forth between the two.I love the controller in consoles and the voice with friends all so easy.I play shooters and racers on console and I've played both on PC and they're not as good.PC for me is for MMO's, strategy games and more complex single player games.

Pretty much nailed it right here. This is also why you dont need a real beefed up pc because the games you would play on pc are not very demanding, ie mmorpg's and strategy. You might run into some issues with a lower end system with some of the newer single player games.

If you played shooters on pc then you might need a beefed up rig. I would say get a sub $1000 pc for all your strategy and mmorpg needs and a ps4 for everything else.
    The only thing you miss out on with a pc only Is beatemups and too a lesser degree racing games.

And I'm not really at the age where I can have my friends round to play beatemups on the living room tv.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I just recently made the jump and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

The pros:

1. I went from a 22 inch PC monitor to a 46" TV.

2. I don't have to worry about upgrading the computer anymore.

3. I am really liking playing Defiance. And, when FFXIV comes out, I will be able to play two of my favorite genre games on a console.

The cons:

1. I am limited to when I can play due to hogging the family TV

2. You are limited to the consoles graphics.

3. There currently aren't too many MMO's to choose from.

I don't get how anyone can find a fps superior on a console.

720p with console blur aa, repetitive textures and a clunky controller

Vs 1080p or beyond with a far superior mouse setup, and occasionally much bigger worlds rather than a bunch of corridors.
  • SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458

I wouldn't recommend buying a console within the first year of release.  You'll just be disappointed in the lack of games and suffer further disappointment when they release a superior model at a lower price a year later.  Honestly, I suggest you buy a PS3 or a 360 while the games are still being manufactured and catch up on what you missed while the price is low.  That would give you something entertaining to do and you would be just in time for the games, remodels and price cuts to hit the new consoles.

↓↓↓  The real reason to buy a console is to play games not available on other platforms.  ↓↓↓

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

You can get a PC to act like a Console, you can;t get a console to act like a PC....

Do people not realize that you can just throw an extra cable to your Big screen TV, grab a wireless 360 controller and away you go.

I use steam Big Picture mode when want some console style action on TV.

http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EFrL6-OhN94

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• VicodinTacoVicodinTaco Member UncommonPosts: 804

It's not really a jump though!  I haven't had a console since the PS1 and I just recently got a PS3.  LOVE IT.  It's just a breath of fresh air.  Booting up a game like FF13 has a certain "relaxation factor" to it.   Plus I dabble in a lot of PS1 classics that you can play on the PS3 etc.

Used games on the market are a dime a dozen.  I think I got my PS3 on a bundle sale for like $199 so it's not like you're going to bust your bankroll wide open.  Also, if you get a Sony Playstation credit card you can get $50 bucks to spend on Playstation Network Games just for signing up.  Just use the card a couple times and throw it in the garbage lol.

Originally posted by Professor78

You can get a PC to act like a Console, you can;t get a console to act like a PC....

Do people not realize that you can just throw an extra cable to your Big screen TV, grab a wireless 360 controller and away you go.

I use steam Big Picture mode when want some console style action on TV.

http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EFrL6-OhN94

Yes. I use a xbox controller on my PC. However, there are some differences:

1) PC games sometimes have issues with settings and installations. Console games are more plug & play.

2) There are console exclusives, and also PC's.

My conclusion .. get both.

• MMOPapaMMOPapa Member Posts: 121
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

Why not have both?

BLASPHEMY!

• zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410

I'll write my thoughts...

Ok I read all the comments that "console games are dumbed down/linear/boring". You do realise that consoles get 99% of the PC games that are out there and apart from MOBA and MMORPGs, they even get stuff like Minecraft and other indie games...

I also feel the same since lack of time makes me leaning towards a less tinkering/tweaking and more straight forward solution. I just come home, pop the current game I'm playing in the DVD of my XBOX or PS3, fire it up and in 5 minutes I'm playing.

I don't want to waste my time keeping drivers up to date or doing any other "maintenance" task. It's easy to do, I just don't want to anymore :)

For me personally, PC is good only if you do play a MOBA like LoL or an MMORPG.... For whatever else, FOR ME (I am repeating this because I know PC elitists will flame me), you get more bang for your buck from a console.

Sure the BF3 version on PC has more players/better graphics blablabla but at the end of the day I paid less for my XBOX360 than my graphics card on my PC alone and I can still enjoy the game campaign and multiplayer just as much.

Obvious pros to the console is a unified platform (meaning everybody plays with same controllers, same hardware) which is not so easy to hack (talking about multiplayer cheats/bots/wallhacks/exploitting etc.) - If you're a lot into community content tho, PC has the advantage there (personally, I don't really care)

The gamepad vs mouse+keyboard is a long and bitter argument but i'll say that since everybody has the same interface then it's fair. You can get used to the gamepad and be quite fluent and efficient with it in any game. Also it's quite better in a lot of game genres like racing games/fighting games/3rd person games etc. 

I understand what the OP means, it's easier and less stressing just to grab a gamepad and power up your console, sit on your sofa and not tweak and tinker around to play a game... Perhaps you can argue the experience is "lesser" but I disagree.

Also consider that when my average month had at least 20 hours of raiding per week that equals to maybe 1 game finished per week on my XBOX (depends on genre) - In the end, if you spend 100 hours a month, you get to see much more "content" gaming wise than an MMORPG - Not arguing PC vs console games since most are shared anyways... 

However, going through more and more games on a console or even PC will get more expensive than a sub-based MMO for example so that's also a consideration ! :)

Personally, I am not upgrading my PC any further and I will keep it for older exclusives like The Witcher, Company of Heroes etc. (I cannot get on a console atm) and for the occasional League of Legends game. 

I also play GW2 and my PC handles that fine, when GW2 dies then I'll think about a new PC :)

For what it's worth, a part of me wishes I never bought my PC, stayed away from LoL and GW2 even and used my tablet for emails/chatting/browsing and my consoles for gaming...

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126

Thanks for replies...

Ill proly end up getting a ps3...has free online service,netflix and hulu. Games ill proly get first is skyrim (heard good things) and bioshock infinite. I have a nvidia 9800gt graphcis card with a phys x card so i didnt wanna play those awesome games on mid to low settings.

kinda feel like the above poster...only game i play is eve,gw2,lol, MC, diablo 3,and a few steam games...guess its not reason to upgrade until a must have comes out for pc exclusive. 

hope the move is good...i admit im addicted to videogames...not saying i need to stop playing videogames but i need to be able to feel i dont need to play this game for x reason.

PS I thought of getting a ps vita...cause i get an hour lunch break and can pop it in to reduce my cravings to play.

• zspawnzspawn Member Posts: 410

For the price, better go for a PS3 or a 360 if you ask me... And now it's a good time to get a PS3/360 because you can find the latest console (which is the most refined,stable and reliable one - e.g. Xbox360 slim) and you can find a LOT OF GAMES for dirt cheap... Since you probably never played Uncharted 1 even, I bought that for 15$ new for example so do some research and find the gems of the console you decide to buy :)

I have the same feeling too sometimes...If I play 10 hours a day of MMO I feel addicted and wasted my time...If I play 10 hours a day on a single player RPG on my XBOX, I feel like it's a day well spent :/   - Weird isn't it ? :D