Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Playstation 4 vs High End PC- Explain to a friend

2»

Comments

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

A console will keep pace with PC graphics for 2-3 years after it launches. Then mid range PCs will be graphically better. I played my ps3 and Xbox 360 alot during the 1st couple of years they were out. Now not so much as my PC blows them away now.

I plan on getting a PS4 and will skip the next box more than likely.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378

Consoles are for the sheep.  Do you want to be part of the herd?

Technical aspects aren't so important.  The games produced for consoles are designed so you'll play them for a week then throw them out and buy the next one.  That's why their business models have involved taking a loss on the sale of the console.  The lower barrier to entry means you're more likely to pick the console, then you will spend more on games in the long-run.  

PC gaming has been a different community.  The gamers have often been the source for content and modifications to games. The most successful games I know of have included at least some degree of ability for users to modify some aspect of the game.  World of Warcraft and many other MMOs let you modify the interface.  Freelancer is ten years old and people are still producing mods for it and playing the game.

Mods aren't the only reason to use a PC.  You can also use them for more productive purposes, or entertain yourself in other ways.  Do you use your console to browse the internet?  I'm going to take a wild guess and say you don't.  The internet was made for computers.  Web pages are made for computers.  Consoles are gaming machines and lack the flexibility to perform other functions.

Considering the cost to enter the console gaming experience and the allure of the types of games made for consoles, I can see why many people choose them over the PC.  The PC isn't for everyone, but consoles are definitely for the sheep.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Originally posted by syntax42

Technical aspects aren't so important.  The games produced for consoles are designed so you'll play them for a week then throw them out and buy the next one.  That's why their business models have involved taking a loss on the sale of the console.  The lower barrier to entry means you're more likely to pick the console, then you will spend more on games in the long-run.  

PC gaming has been a different community.  The gamers have often been the source for content and modifications to games. The most successful games I know of have included at least some degree of ability for users to modify some aspect of the game.  World of Warcraft and many other MMOs let you modify the interface.  Freelancer is ten years old and people are still producing mods for it and playing the game.

Mods aren't the only reason to use a PC.  You can also use them for more productive purposes, or entertain yourself in other ways.  Do you use your console to browse the internet?  I'm going to take a wild guess and say you don't.  The internet was made for computers.  Web pages are made for computers.  Consoles are gaming machines and lack the flexibility to perform other functions.

Considering the cost to enter the console gaming experience and the allure of the types of games made for consoles, I can see why many people choose them over the PC.  The PC isn't for everyone, but consoles are definitely for the sheep.

He has spoken. All hail the PC overlords! 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

If the PS4 can't browse the Internet, it will only be because Sony wanted it not to be able to browse the Internet.  The hardware is close enough that Sony could probably make a Windows 8 version of the PS4 if they were so inclined.  Or a full-featured web browser for whatever OS the PS4 runs.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The specs in the PS4 are a midrange PC by todays standard.  Its benefiting from the designs of an APU and a SoC.  Its memory bandwidth will be a lot higher than you can achieve with current PCs.  It will do better than the same components in a PC, but to what degree is debatable.

One thing it will be able to do is access the features that have been piling up unused in the PC space.  Its been 7 years since DirectX 10, yet we are still using DirectX 9.0c fundamentals.  Purpose built games using the full feature set from 7 years of advancement will look far better than anything we see today.  However, those same things will cross over to the PC since its the same technology.

I think what should be exciting is we will finally get to see what the PC is capable of, and how the optimizations and new features over the last 7 years pan out when the development is focused on them.  One thing that has been true with consoles is they typically are ahead of PCs when they first release, but over 2~3 years they become obsolete compared to PC tech.  This has a lot more to do with the broad spectrum of hardware in the PC space.  You can't really ship a game today on the PC that only targets new hardware.  Your audience would be too limited.  As a rule of thumb, when a PC game is released it should be targeting 4 year old mid-range systems.

• syntax42syntax42 Member UncommonPosts: 1,378
    Originally posted by Quizzical

If the PS4 can't browse the Internet, it will only be because Sony wanted it not to be able to browse the Internet.  The hardware is close enough that Sony could probably make a Windows 8 version of the PS4 if they were so inclined.  Or a full-featured web browser for whatever OS the PS4 runs.

Of course it can browse the internet if they want it to.  You could also hook up a keyboard and mouse if they allow you.  Will they allow you?  Will you buy the keyboard and mouse that only works on the PS4 for whatever price they charge?  If I could hook up a keyboard, mouse, and whatever peripherals I wanted to my old Xbox 360, I would probably be playing games on it still.  

The freedom PCs give you is too hard to give up.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Others have basically said it already, but you shouldn't compare a console to a PC spec for spec. It does't end up working that way. Developers who make games for consoles are doing so using one standardized set of hardware... As opposed to making a game for PC, which must be scalable to a ridiculous amount of hardware options. This is the reason PC games are so god damned buggy when compared to console games. Of course a 2k PC when look better then a console.. But compare the money you will spend to keep games looking and running better, and console will give you more bang for your buck while still looking good with highly optimized games.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Quizzical

Of course it can browse the internet if they want it to.  You could also hook up a keyboard and mouse if they allow you.  Will they allow you?  Will you buy the keyboard and mouse that only works on the PS4 for whatever price they charge?  If I could hook up a keyboard, mouse, and whatever peripherals I wanted to my old Xbox 360, I would probably be playing games on it still.  

The freedom PCs give you is too hard to give up.

ummm you can hook keyboard and mouse to 360 and PS3, i do that sometimes to browse the internet on PS3 and used it on 360 when i played final fantasy 11 to chat. they have USB ports you know...

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

IIRC, wasn't it stated that games like Thief 4 and Killzone 4 would be developed with 30FPS in mind?

I'm sure they will look very good, especially compared to the current gen of consoles, but that is honestly so depressing. I was hoping we'd be at 1080p @ 60FPS. Perhaps as time goes on and devs learn the "tricks" to getting games to use the hardware better we will see that, but it does suck to start off like that, IMHO. 

I know 30FPS doesn't bother some, but it's a MASSIVE eye strain for me. 

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

IIRC, wasn't it stated that games like Thief 4 and Killzone 4 would be developed with 30FPS in mind?

I'm sure they will look very good, especially compared to the current gen of consoles, but that is honestly so depressing. I was hoping we'd be at 1080p @ 60FPS. Perhaps as time goes on and devs learn the "tricks" to getting games to use the hardware better we will see that, but it does suck to start off like that, IMHO. 

I know 30FPS doesn't bother some, but it's a MASSIVE eye strain for me. 

is this straining your eyes

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/4telxd/killzone--shadow-fall-ps4-gameplay-demo

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

Which is cheaper is more often a case of how many games do you purchase a year.  Given console games are a fair bit more expensive for a new release and PC games drop far faster.

Saying PC games are often buggy is true, but console games are also catching up (hello Skyrim PS3 users!).  It's all part of the fun of the online experience (patches can be applied after release so more leeway is given).  It must also be pointed out that PC games can have their bugs fixed by non official sources whereas consoles are completely reliant on their official patches.  Consoles also miss out on the wealth of mods PC gaming has enjoyed (quite a few of which are more entertaining than the original game).

Yes it was stated that a few games will be releasing with a 30fps cap, however with the control system of consoles it might not be that bad, the eye notices chages in framerate more than the actual framerate.  A steady 30fps will be less annoying than a 60-40 drop for a second.  Either way I have no doubt that as they work with the software they will manage to get more out of the machines and you'll possibly see similar graphical quality with 60fps before too long.

New consoles is a win win, PC gamers will likely get games pushing their hardware and console gamers get new shiny graphics!  I do think a few console gamers might be underwhelmed though as some seem to be expecting another huge jump with the next gen.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381

The new PS4 is going to be great for pushing multithreading into all games.  (I guess the next Xbox will be similar in that, too)  Developers will be taking advantage of this, and it will show up in the ports they do to PC.  Probably even in the usual run of shoddy ported replications....

PS4 is the first console I'm mildly interested in since....nearly forever.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

How ridiculous.  Consoles are a gaming platform that's relatively cheap compared to building a PC.  It has nothing to do with pack mentality.  The very fact you attribute it to that makes me wonder if you have a sort of pack herd mentality yourself regarding PCs.  You wouldn't be alone.  Most people feel the need to be part of a group.  You obviously take pride in being in the group of PC purists. 

Consoles have their benefits over PCs, and PCs have their benefits over consoles.  People like yourself also seem to assume there are two groups.  Console gamers and PC gamers.  And there must be a rift between the two. 

However what folks like yourself don't seem to really realize, is that PC purists and console purists (both having a sort of herd mentality) are actually rare. 

Most people are likely similar to me.  Giving no thought to which is better.  I'm writing this on my mid range PC I really like, and to my right across the room is a PS3 hooked up to the television I like to relax and sometimes play on during the evening. 

Don't be part of the herd?  I suggest you take your own advice. 

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Originally posted by Livnthedream
    Originally posted by GrubbsGrady

The argument isn't discussing anything about usability on any level- it is simply which machine is more capable of producing a better looking game. You are agreeing with him that come release day of PS4 that it is going to take us PC gamers a year or so to be able to catch up and play the same games with equal or greater visual quality?

But it really is.  There is a whole heck of a lot more to what makes a game look "good" than pure horsepower. You cannot just set the rules of the debate to ignore half of it and then declare yourself the winner.

ive never seen consoles ever overtake PC by time PS4 and xbox released PC already ahead with single gpu let alone with SLI/XFIRE then consoles even alot behind.

PC can be build with alot more porwer also to render alot better graphics and performance PS4/XBOX never come close to period.

• SpellforgedSpellforged Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Consoles are just modified computers.  They use the same hardware as a PC, but are generally modified to limit customization and use different software.  How can something that just uses modified parts you could buy off Newegg surpass the original?  They also can't offer anything cutting edge because of the cost limitations.  Consoles need to stay relatively cheap which results in low to middle range hardware that isn't anywhere near what's available for PC at the time.  I think that explains it pretty well...

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    OP, If your friend had a gaming PC he wouldnt say that next gen console will go ahead of PC. Next Gen console will be better than old PC that cant even play Age of Conan properly on high settings. PC gaming evolve too fast for a console to be ahead. I know i will love my PS4 when i get my hands on it, but my PC will still be superior.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The advantage consoles have is in knowing exactly how to optimize their code for the hardware the code will be running on. In that respect, consoles can get a lot more out of the hardware than you can get out of PC hardware. The advantage the PCs have is that they can pretty quickly brute force their way through anything a console can do.

A console may offer a better overall experience if all you want to do is play games. It really depends on what you want to do. Unfortunately, the best experience is had by buying both a PC and a game console. The good thing is that if you have a game console, you don't necessarily have to spent $1,200+ on a PC.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    I'll gladly go up against anything those new gen consoles have to offer, that's not to say i'm not looking forward to owning g both.image