Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Guild Wars 2: Flame & Frost’s Epic Conclusion

2»

Comments

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Zeroxin
    People completed the Mad King Dungeon repeatedly and to be honest, I don't think it gave much.

It was actually the best farming in the game at the time.  Not only did it sometimes reward you with cash shop items like fine transmutations stones, instant repair canisters, black lion salvage kits, and black lion chest keys (which could also result in weapon skins), but you can sometimes receive exotic weapons with custom halloween skins that were selling for 100g at the time.  At the rate some people were getting them, repeat farming and playing the lotto essentially was a good bet and average seemed to be better return than farming AC EXP or CoF.  I'm not sure how much they sell for now, but I can just imagine it's close to legendary costs.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Originally posted by Diemos
    Rift is good but its slowed down a lot and it has a sub. this will be the 7th major content update in about 8 months, all with no sub. I agree its the best themepark MMO out.

Rift has released 23 very content heavy updates, as well as a very large x pac in 25 months. GW2 s updates generally are alot smaller then Rifts.

I personally find GW2's updates to be larger than Rift, certainly not a lot smaller.  The Halloween/Wintersday updates were particularly large.  Rift's content updates had a lot of new content, but generally didn't change the core of the game like GW2's content updates do by including new and unique stuff.

Halloween Update -  Added a bunch of new jumping puzzles and mini-dungeons.  Added temporary content that included 2 complete minigames, a new zone, loads of dynamic events, new items, monster types, and weapon skins.  Temporarily changed the entire look of Lion's Arch and some changes to WvW and other areas of the game.  Added a new minigame (costume brawl) as well as costumes for it as well as updating older costumes and tonics.  Added new minipets.

Southsun Update - Added a new zone with new monster types, dynamic events, and two jumping puzzles including a series of temporary dynamic events dedicated to setting up the new zone and lore around it.  Added Fractals which are 8 new scalable dungeons.

Wintersday Update - Added a new temporary dungeon that had objectives change each day.  Added two more complete minigames.  Changed the entire look of Lion's Arch and WvW.  Added new MOB types, minipets, weapon skins, and costumes for costume brawl.  Added a new jumping puzzle.

I can't comment on the recent update with Super Adventure Box as I only played it briefly and not sure everything they added to the game content wise, but SBA seems like a HUGE update with many different levels too.  There are probably a few more major content updates here also that I missed.

Regardless of who has better content updates I think it's not disagreeable to say that both Trion and Arenanet are fantastic at content updates.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

About F-in time they added spectator mode, dear god. I hope it's on par w/ what they had in GW1 (or better). Also stoked for custom arenas, having guild practices was an absolute nightmare if you didn't have enough people participating to fill up the room. Will definitely b using that feature.

Definitely intrigued by the update, even though I'm not a fan of the living story so far.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    This game has almost everything. One major element is bugging me and that is combat. I'm so jealous of people who are really liking it ;)
  • DaezAsterDaezAster Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Can't wait to see whats coming in this update. In regards to rift they charge you for that content everymonth so there just giving you what you paid for. Gw2 does'nt charge a sub so there giving you more than what you paid for. 
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by jazz.be
    This game has almost everything. One major element is bugging me and that is combat. I'm so jealous of people who are really liking it ;)

What about it bugs you? I know some people felt that way, only to realize later that they were just playing a class that didn't fit their playstyle.

• GODGANONDORFGODGANONDORF Member Posts: 59

GW 2 owns period just as its predesessor

DARK AND LIGHT I GOVERN BOTH

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    This game needs HARD MODE!!!
  • XtrizXtriz Member UncommonPosts: 48

ArenaNet really take care about the players and it's no subscribe fee! Have played Guild Wars 2 from release and they have changed so much that make ppl still farming and playing to get the new items that comes out every month.

And soon it's going for eSport that going to grow the game a lot.

Like Fantasy Sidescroller? Join http://blixtenquest.com now !

• VladrielVladriel Member Posts: 46
    And Rift has been out a lot longer than GW2 so you can't compare. 
  • VladrielVladriel Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by Professor78
    Originally posted by JasonJ

Every single month...not since Asherons Call.

GW2 is the best MMO on the market because of it...they are releasing content faster than any 2 other games out right now and some of it is big.

You have obviously never played RIFT. I play both so its easy to compare.

They have a long way to go before coming close to Trions flood of content and features. Some RIFT updates are what other games would class as full blown expansions.

I play both and you can not compare GW2 content to Rifts.. Rift has been out longer so of course they had a head start.. For your post to be legit you would have to compare Rift to a game that has been released about the same time or close to Rifts release date. Otherwise you are just reaching and your horse is bigger than their horse debate is all for nothing. 

• MaakuMaaku Member Posts: 90
    This game simply rocks! Love Anet, love this Retribution stuff! Name me ONE mmo that gave their player base THIS much in less then a year WITHOUT a subscription fee...! Ziltch!

• NomadRedNomadRed Member Posts: 13

The game is great and it does look great, but there's still nothing to do once you hit 80. I mean you can craft if you want to stretch out your enthusiasm, or you can run WvW over and over like a bot.

The dungeons when done are done, and there's nothing to buy after you have the armor you want anyway. I can't think of a good reason to just play it because it's good. Leveling was great, but just after you reach your prime, suddenly there are no more quests. The villagers and nobles have no use for you once you're max. It's time to hang up the weapons and armor and start farming pumpkins.

Why do all the MMO's end up that way? Why not have copious amounts of collectables that range in rarity from drops or exploration that can be swapped or traded, inorder to complete sets that award you with maybe titles or even armor sets and weapons.

There just aren't enough model skins in the game. Everyone looks the same, because there is hardly any armor choices. The entire medium armor set range is complete crap compared to the light and heavy aswell.

I'll start playing again when there is a reason to go beyond 80. That's when your adventure should begin.

Never Expect and Never Oblige...!!!

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by jazz.be

What about it bugs you? I know some people felt that way, only to realize later that they were just playing a class that didn't fit their playstyle.

I've tried like 5 classes.

No it's really the core mechanic of the combat, it just doesn't appeal to me. I don't like how it's action packed, I don't like the small number of abilities. I don't like the cooldowns. I don' t like the short durations of buffs, boons and debuffs and whatever. I don't like how such a great role those buffs, boons and debuffs play.

I almost like all the rest of the game though. Just to tell you how sad it is. Such a great game but this one important thing is screwing it up for me.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682
    Originally posted by Helltrager

The game is great and it does look great, but there's still nothing to do once you hit 80. I mean you can craft if you want to stretch out your enthusiasm, or you can run WvW over and over like a bot.

The dungeons when done are done, and there's nothing to buy after you have the armor you want anyway. I can't think of a good reason to just play it because it's good. Leveling was great, but just after you reach your prime, suddenly there are no more quests. The villagers and nobles have no use for you once you're max. It's time to hang up the weapons and armor and start farming pumpkins.

Why do all the MMO's end up that way? Why not have copious amounts of collectables that range in rarity from drops or exploration that can be swapped or traded, inorder to complete sets that award you with maybe titles or even armor sets and weapons.

There just aren't enough model skins in the game. Everyone looks the same, because there is hardly any armor choices. The entire medium armor set range is complete crap compared to the light and heavy aswell.

I'll start playing again when there is a reason to go beyond 80. That's when your adventure should begin.

Actually, you can keep playing the game at 80 the same way you played it getting to that point. I've spent a lot of time with my level 80s doing dailies in the two low level zones that are center stage for the living story event and am still having fun. Being level 80 doesn't preclude you from lower level content. Prior to the living story, I spent a lot of time just wandering the world and playing it like a massive Skyrim. When the Living Story is over, I plan on going back to playing that way. There is more to do at level cap in GW2 than in any other MMO ever, you just have to change your perspective.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Even if this was implemented, there will still be people who will say they got bored at 80 and people like you who will love it to the end. 

The endgame in GW2 is not for you, that's all well and good. You can comeback when you feel there's enough content to dig into. Like next week for instance!!

This is not a game.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Completely agree and most of it is due to what they never put into the game that they should have made their focus from the very beginning which was metas. Hardly any since the launch of the game but we're just supposed to run dungeons now endlessly. This is exactly what those of us who were only interested in open world pve were trying to warn everyone about when they did a 180 on their manifesto in Nov 2012 and decided "let's be just like WoW! and have gear grind/dungeon only content!"

The other reason I left this game behind never to look back was their horrible game balance coding department, who the heck did they hire over there for this??? I mean seriously, the physics for when you're underwater being faster then when you're on land when you throw things? And the three weaker classes because they claim to be gamers over there but none of them can remember simple history of other mmo's like the AI of pets needing a serious upgrade or the need for the pets to have special defenses to prevent their complete and total destruction in pvp matches, it's why turret engineers, rangers, and summoner necromancers aren't played at level 80.

And don't get me started on how a two handed sword in pve gives someone a total advantage and dps boost beyond stupidity vs bombs/grenades/flame throwers/bullets etc because that's why all our respective militaries use two handed swords instead of the gear they have now to fight wars right?! yeah...

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Here we go again with copy paste from wow :) Rated bg maybe in future? Now Arenas and pvp leader board lol
  • describabledescribable Member UncommonPosts: 407
    Originally posted by Digirono
    People completed the Mad King Dungeon repeatedly and to be honest, I don't think it gave much.

Hell, some of us just solo'd the Mad King "Dungeon", and it still didn't give much in the way of phat loots. It was fun as hell, though. Hopefully this one will be equally as fun.

if the dungeon is fun.. you'll do it more than once.

whereas in games like WoW, you're kinda forced to do the same dungeon again and again for the drops rather than the lore.... those games suck the fun out of it. You play dungeons with friends, guilds, randoms... just to play the dungeon. In GW2 it feels like the loot is the 2nd thing you go in for... the fun is number 1.

it's weird, not many games can say that... 

"nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

The dungeons hardly feel epic, but it's because you're not waiting for that insane drop. I know that my charr warrior can't get better gear than he already has and it's completely ruining the game for me. I hardly played the game and in no time I got to max level and just bought the exotics I wanted from the trading post. I didn't even want to level up professions. I just sold everything that I found which gave me enough gold to buy the gear that I wanted instead of wasting tons of money and time on crafting.

The character progression pretty much stops after you've "leveled" all the skills on your weapons, traits hardly do any significant difference and dungeons are only to get another type of skin for your armor.

How anyone managed to find this game entertaining for more than 2 months is a mystery to me.

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by describable
    Originally posted by Digirono

Hell, some of us just solo'd the Mad King "Dungeon", and it still didn't give much in the way of phat loots. It was fun as hell, though. Hopefully this one will be equally as fun.

if the dungeon is fun.. you'll do it more than once.

whereas in games like WoW, you're kinda forced to do the same dungeon again and again for the drops rather than the lore.... those games suck the fun out of it. You play dungeons with friends, guilds, randoms... just to play the dungeon. In GW2 it feels like the loot is the 2nd thing you go in for... the fun is number 1.

it's weird, not many games can say that... 

If only the dungeons were fun. I haven't tried a dungeon in that game that I wanted to do more than one time. Not to mention the airship against Zhaitan. We did this in my guild, 2 of them were real life friends and the rest were from the same country. As we sat on teamspeak we could all agree on 1 thing: "What a dull waiting time. And it's so freakin' easy. This is the last time that we're playing this game. We're not even gaining anything from doing this boring $#/]"

In every good game there's a carrot in the end, driving people forwards and through the dungeon. You have your minor goal and your greater goal. GW2 has neither of these things (unless you're really excited about farming 100+ hours just to get an ugly legendary skin for your weapon).