Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this new Video Card Bad?

sizewellsizewell Member Posts: 16

Hi,

Bought a new Video card - Point of View GT440 2GB. Installed it into my PC and soon as it starts to boot up, get artifacts (coloured lines & blocks). Windows device manager reports problem with the card. My spec is Dell XPS 420, Intel core 2 duo E8500, chipset X38, 4gb ram, Original 375w PSU. So should meet the requirements of the new card. Tried reseating the card a few times plus clean install of the drivers. But as it is artifacting on boot, cant be the drivers?

I did notice as soon as it boots, it recognises the card, but I can also see "VGA BIOS" blinking??? 

Cannot afford a new rig now, so thought a GT440 would be the best card with the limited spec of my PC.

Any ideas other than returning the card?

Comments

• Stealthman06Stealthman06 Member UncommonPosts: 35

Do you have another PC to test it in? By the looks of it it's possible that your power supply is too weak to handle all the components.

Power supplies degrade over time, so it might not have the 375 W it's supposed to have.

Either that or the card is broken.

MMORPG Forums: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

• sizewellsizewell Member Posts: 16

Unfortunately not.

My original card is 8800 gt which I believe uses 105w, whereas the GT440 uses 75w (both according to google searches).

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

If you're trying not to overtax a power supply, then a Fermi card is about the worst thing you can get, as those were horribly inefficient.  While the new card should use less power than your old one, it's also slower.  It's conceivable albeit unlikely that the motherboard doesn't like having to deliver 75 W to a PCI Express slot all by itself, since the old card would draw much of its power through a 6-pin PCI-E power connector rather than directly from the motherboard.  It's far more likely that either the power supply is problematic or the video card is defective.

Even so, the GeForce GT 440 is a terrible value for the money.  I'd look into returning the card even if you thought it worked great.  A GDDR5 version of a Radeon HD 7750 is the fastest card you can get inside of a 75 W TDP.  If that's out of your budget, then you can probably get a Radeon HD 6670 that will at least be faster, cheaper, and lower power than a GeForce GT 440.

Does your old GeForce 8800 GT still work?  If so, then ditch the new card, as it's a downgrade for you.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329
    Return GT 440 and replace for HD 7750
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Stealthman06

Do you have another PC to test it in? By the looks of it it's possible that your power supply is too weak to handle all the components.

Power supplies degrade over time, so it might not have the 375 W it's supposed to have.

Not to mention, OP talks about ORIGINAL PSU. Those are mostly sub-par PSUs that have a very low efficiency. I'd bet that that PSU would deliver only 75% effectively, and thus be way too low to handle the GPU. Had the same thing happen with an old Compaq PC that had a 300W (or was it 350W?) PSU where I wanted to drop an 8800GT card in.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by sizewell

Hi,

Bought a new Video card - Point of View GT440 2GB. Installed it into my PC and soon as it starts to boot up, get artifacts (coloured lines & blocks). Windows device manager reports problem with the card. My spec is Dell XPS 420, Intel core 2 duo E8500, chipset X38, 4gb ram, Original 375w PSU. So should meet the requirements of the new card. Tried reseating the card a few times plus clean install of the drivers. But as it is artifacting on boot, cant be the drivers?

I did notice as soon as it boots, it recognises the card, but I can also see "VGA BIOS" blinking??? 

Cannot afford a new rig now, so thought a GT440 would be the best card with the limited spec of my PC.

In my opinion your PSU could be underpowered but screen artifacts are usually shown cause of graphics card problem. In my opinion your graphics card is in bad state and you should return and get a new one.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by alakram
    Originally posted by sizewell

Hi,

In my opinion your PSU could be underpowered but screen artifacts are usually shown cause of graphics card problem. In my opinion your graphics card is in bad state and you should return and get a new one.

Even if the video card is the immediate problem, it could easily be loose voltage regulation from the power supply causing the video card to malfunction, in which case, the power supply is the real problem.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Put old card in
    Buy new psu instead

Imo
  • sizewellsizewell Member Posts: 16

Reason I was replacing the 8800 was because it tended to run hot, ie in Fallen Earth,  was running at about 90c with screen going black momentarily on occasions.  (I do clean the dust out etc every couple of months)

I understood that Dell XPS 420 did not take standard PSU's so is not easy to install/find a more powerful one.

I have never really liked  AMD's and always used Nvidia.