Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skill Leveling like Sword Art Online?

PrettyDragonPrettyDragon Member Posts: 1
I just recently finished watching Sword Art Online, and I was wondering if there was a game with my favorite feature from that game - being able to level as many skills as you want, as much as you want.  I know some single player games like that, but unfortunately, all the MMOs I know anything about really limit your skills (like if you can do forging, you can't do other kinds of crafting, and honestly, they don't have that many skills to begin with).  Anyone know a game like this?  (Also, I would prefer something where you can use swords, but it isn't necessary)

Comments

• tet666tet666 Member UncommonPosts: 295

There is none as far as i know and there are reasons for it a game like in sword art online would never actually work in reality thats for sure.

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Runescape?
  • Astro6Astro6 Member UncommonPosts: 247

only one i know of is darkfall you could level skills for over a year and still not get maxed.

• zonjimasenzonjimasen Member UncommonPosts: 32
    The Secret World I guess, there's a skill wheel that you can spend skill points anywhere you want, but you can only use two kinds of weapon at a time.
  • xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805
    RF-online has pure skill leveling,
  • AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

What you're describing is sandbox character development. There are quite a few games that use systems like that... just very few of them are mainstream (and I honestly don't know why because they're much more fun systems).

The two best known would probably be Ultima Online and EVE.

There are other games with similar systems allowing you to learn anything and everything with one character but limiting you to only one thing at a time. FFXIV would be the standout here (and FFXI for that matter) as you can level all combat and crafting classes on one character. The Secret World works in a similar way as you can learn all skills on one character but are limited to using only a certain number at any given time.

• NIIINIII Member UncommonPosts: 113

You could try Mortal Online, though there is a limit to skills for free users. The game features a wide variety of skills that you can pick up and dedicate to. It looks decent, but feels unfinished (at least to me).

Eve (though probably not at all what you had in mind) is a great game, if you can get past the learning curve.

If I remember correctly, Mabinogi is at least kind of skill based. It has an anime style, which I'm guessing would appeal to you in your situation. I didn't play much (combat feels awkward to me), but the game feels pretty immersive, and the worst that can happen is you not like it.

Phantasy Star Online 2 has a playable Japanese version (with an english patch), the game features level based progression in different classes (you can drop one class in favor of another at any time). Each class can use various weapons, which have their own skill/spell/ability sets.  --The game will have a NA release, but I'm not exactly sure how long that will take.

These are all I have to recommend.

Good luck in your search.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

I would say go for Darkfall: Unholy Wars.

DF:UW makes you feel most of the aspects of SAO. Sadly the 1 thing DF needs is your characters personal touch better customization to yourself and gear, to be that Black Swordsman.

Specially the Death in DF is serious and not taken lightly, like in SAO. also there is a general ideal of LvL but no real lvl, just skill lvl and your chars development, how ever you wana go.

Currently into beta, but if you preorder your in.

• x1devanx1devan Member Posts: 1
    I haven't played it in a long time but as for weapons and characteristics I think games by nexon like Fly for Fun (FFF) woultd be the closest I've ever come to SAO. Hopefully they will make a game like it. :) Just maybe not the dying irl thing :) It sounds a little on the downside but id think it is. Good Luck (to all of us looking for one.)
  • xdflamesxdflames Member Posts: 6
    Real life.
  • xdflamesxdflames Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by PrettyDragon
    I just recently finished watching Sword Art Online, and I was wondering if there was a game with my favorite feature from that game - being able to level as many skills as you want, as much as you want.  I know some single player games like that, but unfortunately, all the MMOs I know anything about really limit your skills (like if you can do forging, you can't do other kinds of crafting, and honestly, they don't have that many skills to begin with).  Anyone know a game like this?  (Also, I would prefer something where you can use swords, but it isn't necessary)

Actually going to have to comment on this, to go along with my previous post. Sword Art Online does not allow leveling of as many skills at once. You start out at level one being only able to train three or so. As you level, you gain more slots. However you can never get all of the skills. Max level of said skill is 1000. If you remove a skill for another one, you lose all points in that skill forever and will have to retrain it if you decide to grab it again.

You favorite feature from the game isn't exactly what you think it is.

• xKatherinexKatherine Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by x1devan
    I haven't played it in a long time but as for weapons and characteristics I think games by nexon like Fly for Fun (FFF) woultd be the closest I've ever come to SAO. Hopefully they will make a game like it. :) Just maybe not the dying irl thing :) It sounds a little on the downside but id think it is. Good Luck (to all of us looking for one.)

Uhm, FlyFF doesn't get close to SAO at all. You are very limited in skills in that game.

Well, we might get a VRMMORPG with NerveGear kind of gaming since the technology went forward in lightningspeed the past 20 years.

Game aside, while browsing the internets I came upon this 

Now we just wait for this baby to be finished. (though you can pre-rder, for just 300 dollar, which surprisingly is not much for something like that)