Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Chronicle: Refunds Offered on Pre-Orders

StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696

The Chronicle and MMOCenter have announced via their official forums, that they will be offering a refund to customers who have pre-ordered their game. This decision obviously stems from a recent decision to dramatically change the direction of their game.

With the release of the current news and the direction MMOCenter has taken, we understand that some of our community may not be happy with the delays with The Chronicle Beta and Launch subsequent of our new direction. Although we believe all decisions have truly been in the best interest of our community, we are happy to refund any unsatisfied customers. Any pre-orders that are not happy with the direction of where MMOCenter and The Chronicle is headed, please email us at [email protected] with the subject line “Pre-Order Refund”, and include full name, forum name and customer ID from either Plimus or Pay-Pal and we will refund your pre-order amount.

Thank you for your continued support,

For more on The Chronicle, click here.

Cheers,
Jon Wood
Managing Editor
MMORPG.com

Comments

• DodooDodoo Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Stradden

obviously stems from a recent decision to dramatically change the direction of their game.

Hmmm... sorry Stradden but I don't think you can say that - at all.

They are still committed on delivering the promised features.

They are just offering the refund to people who don't feel like waiting for the beta to start in another 2 months and to show how much they respect their community and the money we gave them.

At least I understood it this way. image

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

obviously stems from a recent decision to dramatically change the direction of their game.
    This is not true. How have we changed the direction of our game?

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415

Originally posted by CaesarsGhost
    This is not true. How have we changed the direction of our game?

Since you've decided to make questioning Jon's credibility public, I will explain exactly why the statements are accurate.

Before the announcement, Rapid Reality had told us how they planned to rapidly produce games using the Kaneva engine with finite content (3 months) and then expand on these games based on demand. With this change, the company is moving towards larger games more on a scale with other MMORPGs at launch.

That is a change in direction.

You have also completely (in a good way) changed the direction of your visual presentation and game engine, not to mention the production timelines you were operating under.

Jon was not trying to question or judge these changes, but to deny that they are changes is beyond ridiculous.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

I'd like to reassure all readers that the Original Feature Sets, content, and Gameworld Size, are all still included in the planned release of The Chronicle.

The direction of The Chronicle hasn't changed: the timeline for the release has changed, as have the Graphics.

This will not change the future MMOCenter Titles.

- CaesarsGhost

"When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• Dark_Mage54Dark_Mage54 Member UncommonPosts: 44

It was a good news post but it left me in the dark about what changes, so nauturaly i thought it ment some gameplay has be altered and other important things, why else would they be offering a refund and make news on MMORPG.com? So having this new information gap we would need to find the MMOC's CM to fill in the gap (which he did nicely above this one).
    it would be nice if he told us what these changes were instead of having such broad words of meaning, "dramatically change the direction of their game", and leaving it as that.

Again it was a good news post as usual, im just saying it could of used more information.

-----------------------
    To Kill or Be Killed?

• RattrapRattrap Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,599

Offering refund is always a sign of something going wrong.

It just can not be the fact that beta is going to be late , or rather shocking half uncomfirmed announcement that the game will come with limited content that will be upgraded every 3 months. (which can actually be a good idea) It is definetly not because the graphic is going trough the update (thanks god)

Perhaps you should give us a belivable reason for refund ?

But who is naive enough to preorder MMO anyway ? With so many promising MMO's either being canceled or being pushed to the release just so the company wouldnt have to return preorder moneys ...

Before you buy a product - see it .... It is as simple as that

"Before this battle is over all the world will know that few...stood against many." - King Leonidas

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

I'd like to reassure all readers that the Original Feature Sets, content, and Gameworld Size, are all still included in the planned release of The Chronicle.
    The direction of The Chronicle hasn't changed: the timeline for the release has changed, as have the Graphics.

Heya Caesar,

In all fairness, I don't think anyone is referring to a change in direction as far as game content goes, but more as a change in direction for the MMOCenter service. The Kaneva engine was supposed to be a huge part of how you guys were going to be able to whip out titles much faster than anyone else, and while there has been verification that the content and features planned in each game will still be intact, there hasn't really been any verification that the speed of development will remain intact with this new engine (which was one of RR's big plugs for the Kaneva Engine).

Basically, so much hype was put into the old engine, that it seems only natural that when you would switch to a more standard (although prettier) one, that you development would also slow down to 'standard' speeds.

That's how I read things anyhow.

• FerretboyFerretboy Member UncommonPosts: 57

If I understand what I've read correctly, the Aura engine is a more powerful version of Kaneva. The company MMOCenter acquired is the maker of both engines.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

"With the release of the current news and the direction MMOCenter has taken, we understand that some of our community may not be happy with the delays with The Chronicle Beta and Launch subsequent of our new direction. Although we believe all decisions have truly been in the best interest of our community, we are happy to refund any unsatisfied customers. Any pre-orders that are not happy with the direction of where MMOCenter and The Chronicle is headed, please email us at [email protected] with the subject line “Pre-Order Refund”, and include full name, forum name and customer ID from either Plimus or Pay-Pal and we will refund your pre-order amount.

Thank you for your continued support,"

If you havent changed direction why do u mention it so much in your statement?
  • theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

Firstly I would like to state that I really hate how negative Rattrap is all the time... but anyways...

I dont see why everyone is picking on MMOCenter so much about "the direction"... you know what? They did a good thing for the game, and as an act of good faith, they offer anyone who doesnt like what theyre doing a chance to get their money back.

Lets take a look at Mourning shall we? COME ON PEOPLE, THEY YELL THAT THEY DONT HAVE THE POWER TO REFUND YOUR MONEY... BS?!

Anyways... MMOCenter is being nothing more than friendly, and they have done NOTHING wrong. Atleast wait until they do something wrong to start freaking on them.

Good job MMOCenter, you have my full support...

Can I get a refund on my beta account I won in the MMORPG.com contest? Free money is always good ::::35::
    (Just kidding, I wouldnt give it up for the world)

PS --
    Thanks for trying to inform a bit more Caesar... some people are just really nitpicky ::::39::

• Dark_Mage54Dark_Mage54 Member UncommonPosts: 44

Originally posted by Ferretboy
    If I understand what I've read correctly, the Aura engine is a more powerful version of Kaneva. The company MMOCenter acquired is the maker of both engines.

Thats what i heard too.

-----------------------
    To Kill or Be Killed?

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

Originally posted by Rattrap
    Offering refund is always a sign of something going wrong. It just can not be the fact that beta is going to be late , or rather shocking half uncomfirmed announcement that the game will come with limited content that will be upgraded every 3 months. (which can actually be a good idea) It is definetly not because the graphic is going trough the update (thanks god) Perhaps you should give us a belivable reason for refund ?But who is naive enough to preorder MMO anyway ? With so many promising MMO's either being canceled or being pushed to the release just so the company wouldnt have to return preorder moneys ...
    Before you buy a product - see it .... It is as simple as that

I agree. I, honestly have never heard of anybody even pre-ordering an online game before they even have a website.

Originally posted by Dark_Mage54
    Originally posted by Ferretboy

Thats what i heard too.

I 'believe' that Aura had some involvement in the original Kaneva engine, but that at some point the two products diverged. To be clear, Kaneva remains its own independent company and has - at this point - no links to any of this.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767

Actually, Aura IS indeed the upgraded version of Kaneva, Kaneva is a downgraded version of Aura which X-Src sold off to (I forgot the company that is "selling" the kaneva engine right now but that one). Endless Ages and the other MMOLands games were all made using what we know as Kaneva, which is basically just a downgraded version of Aura. The companies are independent of each other, but the engines indeed are linked to each other.

Originally posted by darkman
    Actually, Aura IS indeed the upgraded version of Kaneva, Kaneva is a downgraded version of Aura which X-Src sold off to (I forgot the company that is "selling" the kaneva engine right now but that one). Endless Ages and the other MMOLands games were all made using what we know as Kaneva, which is basically just a downgraded version of Aura. The companies are independent of each other, but the engines indeed are linked to each other.

Well the other company is called "Kaneva" so I assume it all began under a different name.

I wont get into superior or inferior, we'll leave that to you guys or reviews ;)

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com

Actually... I believe the original engine was called "Avaria". They both stemmed from that version.

- CaesarsGhost