Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

968 people melted the server

JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

No kidding I was on when the web site went down and the counter had like 600 regular users and 300 guests and it melted ROFL. Is this a portent of things to come?

I miss DAoC

Comments

• NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213

Jack that sig is nice.

though to really have it fit 'you' you need to make the dude crying

QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

• eirekeirek Member Posts: 110
    There was actually more than 2000 People...the 968 was just on the english board :)
  • FaelanFaelan Member UncommonPosts: 819

Do not underestimate the power of a thousand people hitting F5 in 8 different browser windows as fast as their system/ISP/fingers will allow. Especially not when some of them were on the wrong order page to begin with, thus sucking up bandwidth without getting any further.

I'm a big ol' fluffy carewolf. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

• PanerdarPanerdar Member UncommonPosts: 28

A little bit ago they had over 2800 people on the site

• stephen_sofstephen_sof Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 388

thats not how many people are on the site you relize just how many on the forums im sure theirs alot mroe just in the order screen

"It's the darkness that brings us power"

That is true I reckon :)

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

edited by jackdog

I miss DAoC

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

I dunno what you're talking about '968 people' frying the forums.

The forums have averaged 900 people at peak times nearly every day for the past week. Today, it was the 2500+ people that fried the forums, as well as who knows how many more who were just there to order.

You're making it out like this is a small number or something. Most MMO's boards -never- see this kind of popularity, and the games themselves are much more popular. Only in recent years have there been official boards that actually get some action.. ie - WoW, and SWG. Everquest never had this sort of action on their official boards, and it was one of the most successful (for it's time at the dawn of the craze) games ever.

I also don't believe AD have ever worked with anything on such a large scale before.

yeah at one point they had over 2800

edited by jackdog

I miss DAoC

• clinteastclinteast Member UncommonPosts: 159

Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by stephen_sof
    thats not how many people are on the site you relize just how many on the forums im sure theirs alot mroe just in the order screen
    ROFL you are absolutely right . there weer probably like 200 people on the entire site and the rest were AD logging their alts onto the server which is probably what caused the crash anyway. Ever notice there are always 32 or 34 mods just on the English side. Every single time log in the same 32 or 34 mods. Then look at the users, same old alts in there all the time to bump the number to make it look like the site is busy. Ever do much posting there, same 10 or 20 people always reply out of the 200+ on the numbers show on the forum.
    The other night one of them made a major fubar by posting how NP3 should allow the old timers like him to get first shot at a pioneer key, the funny part was he forgot he was using one of the alts that had been made a week ago and had like 12 posts. Another poster pointed it out to him and he tried to weasel out but he was caught dead handed.
    You guys just don't get it do you, it's over. Done. Kaput. The people who order today will be the only customers you will ever get. No one gives a crap anymore about DnL and all the snake oil salesman tricks and all the hype will never get you any more. The last of your real fan base will disappear in December when you either delay SoG again or even worse release it and the fans see what their sixty is buying them. Last one out the door turn off the lights please.

Originally posted by NegativeJoe
    Jack that sig is nice.
    though to really have it fit 'you' you need to make the dude cryingThanks but this is not one of my better ones I made it in about 5 min. But anyway I'm not crying, I am laughing. the crying is poor AD trying to revive the hamster that powers their server. But that crying will be nothing compared to the crying you will hear on December 8th when people see how bad they were ripped off.

Do you ever have anything good to say about D & L? I mean all i ever see you post is negative comments and snide remarks about it. You can speculate all you want mate but i dont think your comments will changes people's views/hopes about the game. I for one am hoping that SOG will fill that void i have been feeling for a long time untill D & L comes out next year. I personally dont post often just read other peoples post but sometimes its hard to grit my teeth and say nothing.

The pre-order is for Dark & Light not SOG if I am not mistaken. And technically the pre-ordering just guarantees you certain perks and access for sure to SOG.

Settlers of Ganareth is available while supplies last, and is free of charge

Now i just noticed that when i log on to BT Click and Buy and go to the tab called Easy Collet there is a mention of Dark and Light there.

EASY COLLECT AUTHORISATIONS
    CONTENT PARTNER LINK NAME CREATED LAST ACTIVATION STATUS
    #???????? Dark & Light Dark and Light 24/11/2005 22:30:39 24/11/2005 22:30:39 Active

So I am assuming that I dunno BT wait for some kind of authorisation from D ^ L before taking payment, I dunno?

Originally posted by Jackdog
    well if the idiots had not logged in all tehir alts in order to boost thenumbers for hype purposes they would not have had any problems. Figure maybe 500 people were actually trying to buy the POS and they hosed that up. Hopefully that 500 had a chance to rethink their decision. The fools cannot even keep their webserver up and they want to try and make a MMORPG ? ROFLMAO.

OMFG CONSPIRACY RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!1!!!1!11

No really, that's what you sound like 90% of the time. These forums are starting to really suck because of people like you providing nothing constructive except "*BASH BASH BASH* *FLAME FLAME FLAME*"

The boards here should adopt VN's rules and ban anyone not posting constructively in a game's forums.

Taken from their rules..

Excessive Ranting/ Game Bashing
    Posters who we feel are here to heckle the fans of the game, make it their duty to "warn off others" from trying a game, or simply making negative comments on a game and its fans at any given opportunity, will not be tolerated. Posters are free to discuss a game, but if we feel somebody is taking their comments "over the edge", we hold the right to remove their posts and possibly ban them from this forum.

The Vault Network is a fansite and these are still fan boards. Fans of the game whether they have negative or positive opinions are welcome. Non-fans/former fans that hate/despise and think the game is a "POS" or any variation there of, are welcome to move along and find somewhere else to be, as we feel you are contributing nothing to the community and are disrupting it. If you feel strongly about something, then modify your style so we are not dealing with flame wars all the time.

Posters are free and encouraged to use "constructive criticism". What do we define as constructive criticism?
    Basically, it's when a user defines a problem, posts why they think it's a problem, then offers a solution to fix that problem, then people can debate it on its merits.

Tell you what , maybe you are right, it's not a conspiricy it is just plain opld incompetance that they cannot even run a website. I don't need to bash the game anymore at this point. I think NP3 is doing quite a good enough job with this train wreck themselves.  December will be the telling point anyway and I think that today is really the last real gasp of this farce anyway. Those who are buying will buy today no matter what. Then come December one of two things will happen. either they will release SoG or they will delay it again. Either scenario will doom them. So I am going back and editing some of my posts happy?

I miss DAoC

Hehe you dont have to edit your posts.  Maybe I am just an optimist and not a realist.  When they said they will release it Nov i was suprised to see them now say 8/12/5.  I hope they do release now they have given a specific date.  If they dont well god knows I am crossing my fingers and toes that they dont pull the rug from under neath my feet again.

After playing RF Online and being dissapointed with that I am slowly loosing faith in finding that Holy Grail of MMORPG's.  Maybe its impossible to recapture my enjoyment from playing UO & AC when i first experienced online gaming.

• angerrangerr Member Posts: 865

lol, i cant wait untill sog comes out just for the simple fact that im sick and tired of all these threads. everyone speculates on how this game is going to be either good or bad (usually bad) and it has gotten really old.

i agree the Dev's have pulled some questionable shit and haven't done alot to present themselves and their game the way they should. but can we please give it a rest? i mean for the love of god! we know how you feel after the first 500 posts.

to me it is just spam....why cant you just wait for sog? why cant you just leave it alone? DAMN!::::06::

this isn't meant to flame any one person but every single person that bombs this forum with ungodly amounts of garbage that we have heard 100 times before. that is all....have a great day! ::::40::

read this http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1044304#post1044304 then come back and talk to me about the vanguard/soe fiasco.....

• stone-seraphstone-seraph Member Posts: 376

i'm with angerr on this one. I'm getting pretty tired of reading the same "<troll!> <nuh-uh!> <yuh-huh!>" about this game. For goodness sake it's not even out yet. Everyone has made up their minds on their stance towards this game, noone is convincing anyone of anything, thus this is pointless

Make of it what you will.

I just want to stop receiving emails whenever someone posts to this topic lol, I unchecked "subscribe to this topic" but I still get emails.

Originally posted by angerr

lol, i cant wait untill sog comes out just for the simple fact that im sick and tired of all these threads. everyone speculates on how this game is going to be either good or bad (usually bad) and it has gotten really old.
    i agree the Dev's have pulled some questionable shit and haven't done alot to present themselves and their game the way they should. but can we please give it a rest? i mean for the love of god! we know how you feel after the first 500 posts.
    to me it is just spam....why cant you just wait for sog? why cant you just leave it alone? DAMN!::::06::
    this isn't meant to flame any one person but every single person that bombs this forum with ungodly amounts of garbage that we have heard 100 times before. that is all....have a great day! ::::40::

You are right. It is time for me at least to back off. I think I shall just shut my yap till I see what happens on the 8th. 

I miss DAoC

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Originally posted by Panerdar
    I just want to stop receiving emails whenever someone posts to this topic lol, I unchecked "subscribe to this topic" but I still get emails.

I know. This happens to me, too, with all sorts of threads. I get them even when it says I'm not subscribed. It's supernatural. ::::31::

Honestly, if it bombs. Count on a thread here from me saying "I was wrong."

If not, then I'll see you all in-game.. and I'm sincerely hoping that it does not bomb. I -want- a new MMO. I'm sick of everything out there, and I want this to be the one.

• -Inferno--Inferno- Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 325

Yub it is. The DnL servers are pieces of crap and they plan to handle 100.000 simulataneous players with them. Ironic, isn't it?

"Fire is never a gentle master..."

lol, I doubt the web site is on the cluster server they are going to use for the game.

• steelzerosteelzero Member UncommonPosts: 11

If you think that web servers and game servers have anywhere near the same technologies involved you should never speak about computers again.

To clarify what everyone is talking about Inferno... Webhosting is -not- the same as server clustering for the actual game. Would also like to point out that AD runs the boards, and NP3 runs the game servers. Two seperate teams run both..

But, I'm sure you already knew that, and were just talking blindly about the game that you hate with such a passion now. Surely you knew that already... right?