Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Down to Eight Million Subscribers

Comments

• GnarvGnarv Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Where will that poor excuse of a 'community' migrate to? Avoid at all cost. In a sense it was a good thing WoW attracted the flies, atleast you knew where you had em. 
  • MerklynnMerklynn Member UncommonPosts: 100
    I quit right before Cataclysm but I did roll a f2p account to see the goblins & worgen skittering about on my old server which was around Brewfest. Ah memories. The game is still very addictive. I wont ever re-sub though that tram has left the station.
  • Originally posted by itchmon
    Here comes titan....

I hope it doesn't get too rushed, I wonder if bliz will do what they've never done and release something early because of financial pressure.

Probably not since they got friggin' 8 million subs.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Wizardry

That is still an incredible amount of money,wonder where all that cash goes?What is that like 100 million a month in sub fees?Geesh Blizzard could license a MUCH better game engine and still come away with highway robbery.They could actually hire 3-5 guys to re texture the entire game with better quality textures and still be highway robbery.

I guess Vivendi takes most of that cash and Activision is also a pie plucker now as well.

The really odd thing is Vivendi was again trying  to sell their shares in the game division,but nobody wants it,price was way too high.If they bring in 100 mil a month,that is like what over a billion a year?What the heck ,why wouldn't anyone buy Blizzard?

The asking price for the acquisition was way too high. I think the only two companies in the gaming industry that can afford to buy Activision Blizzard are Apple and Microsoft. Apple is not interested because it's not a very related industry. Don't see MS buying them either. When making an acquisition there are many things to consider. Companies don't just buy other firms for their revenue loool.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

We really don't want the 8million who are _STILL_ playing WoW into our games.

These are dire news.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by TheHavok
    8 million players after close to 10 years. Still amazing.

But sadly all people want to do is stamp on WoW success at every turn.  

I return to the game for a few months every expansion have my fun then leave, Mists is by far the best expansion IMHO, some say TBC but thats only cus it was the first.  I always keep an eye over on mmo-champ and the speed at which blizzard are putting out content since Mists was released is staggering, every other month there seems to be something new being added, where was that when I was playing hardcore back in WoTK?

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398
    Originally posted by SBFord

we expect to continue delivering shareholder value over the long term as we have for the last 20 years.”

Money money money, must be funny.. etc.

As long as they rake money in for the capitalists, the games and their content in secondary. Everything since vanilla wow has been sub-par and will continue to be with this mindset of theirs.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
    Originally posted by Fusion
    Originally posted by SBFord

we expect to continue delivering shareholder value over the long term as we have for the last 20 years.”

Money money money, must be funny.. etc.

As long as they rake money in for the capitalists, the games and their content in secondary. Everything since vanilla wow has been sub-par and will continue to be with this mindset of theirs.

Money makes games, no money no games.

• saniceksanicek Member UncommonPosts: 368
    I'm curious that no one mentioned (at least I didn't notice) the free D3 deal with 1 year WOW sub. I'm pretty sure a lot of people that took it and were on the verge of quitting or decided to quit some time during the year they needed to keep subbed ended their subs once it was through. Timing wise it would fall into that quarter.

Subscribtions: EVE, SWTOR WOW, WAR, DDO, VG, AOC, COV, FFXI, GW, RFO, Aion
    +plenty of F2P, betas, trials

Female Dwarf player: WOW, VG, WAR, DDO
    Due to the recent economic crisis and spending cuts the light at the end of the tunnel was turned off. Sincerely, God.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    so 7 million gold farmers  and 1 million players not bad for a game that has been crap for the past 5 years.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Well, they did just release a stupidly themed expansion (in most people's opinion) so I don't find it very surprising. Hopefully they will learn from that and have something decent for the next one. Pandas don't have a very high cool factor.

Even if the game does continue to decline.. so what, no other game company has ever done any better and until they do, Blizzard is still king. They hold the record.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by jusomdude

I just cancelled my sub yesterday, pretty bored of the game. I'll probably be back at some point though.

Anyways... it's dying! image

yup, at this rate EvE will be the #1 sub MMORPG by 2031

Judging by the age of people in my corp, by 2031 many EVE players will be dead. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by sanicek
    I'm curious that no one mentioned (at least I didn't notice) the free D3 deal with 1 year WOW sub. I'm pretty sure a lot of people that took it and were on the verge of quitting or decided to quit some time during the year they needed to keep subbed ended their subs once it was through. Timing wise it would fall into that quarter.

Annual Pass w D3 was first offered October 2011

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3767193/Sign_Up_for_the_World_of_Warcraft_Annual_Pass_and_Get_Diablo_III_Free-10_21_2011

for many who took advantage of it - annual pass expired the previous quarter

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

Wow needs indeed of a retirement! finish that already! but hey Tetris is still selling ahahahah

Next wow expansion: Koala Renegade

Beta tester maniac

• SmintarSmintar Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Pandaria was made because of the asian market, East didnt like it as I didnt either. The simplication of talents and the easiness of lvling I believe has caused the numbers to go down and I believe they will continue. To me Pandaria was a walk away from  what WOW was based on. When it first came out I really did enjoy playing the game, when  Burning Crusades came out I thought that was a good xpansion, Lich King was very well recieved, then it began to fall with Catacylsm, then it really dropped with Pandaria it may live on but the game has lost it flavor
  • IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507

Well, folks as I predicted some time ago the bubble after the Panda launch has burst now and WoW sub numbers are going down and are at 8 million and dropping fast. I think the business suits who run Blizzard must be worried and they will have to act as the WoW sub number could fall below 5 million by the end of the year. So what can they do? Two things I can think of. One is another large content expansion. They must have this in the pipeline, and could put bodies on the project from other teams to get a product out by  the end of this year or early next year, that could keep the cash cow floating for a while longer. The second option is F2P. This wouldn't be so hard for Blizz as some aspects of the game can be F2P, and they have a cosmetic item cash shop already. The full-on cash shop, such as found in GW2, and the F2P model with perhaps an expansion too could change the game for Blizzard and WoW and see it recapture its fading gaming glories.

I believe CATA has caused the decine in WoW, many have stayed away from MOP because of CATA which is a shame.  CATA by far the worst expansion but MISTS will go down as one of those under-rated expansions because people are bitter over CATA.  MISTS is a gem of an expansions I am sure glad I played it for a few months following release - I almost didn't.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    just wondering. if for a game like wow, with 8.3m subs (or ppl paying every month or every hour, but paying) is that much of a problem, then can some1 tell me all the other games with less than 500k subs what must do? this is a joke. after 10 years having 8.3m ppl paying for your product every month or every hour, is A HELL OF ACHIEVEMENT. PERIOD
    Originally posted by Manolios
    just wondering. if for a game like wow, with 8.3m subs (or ppl paying every month or every hour, but paying) is that much of a problem, then can some1 tell me all the other games with less than 500k subs what must do? this is a joke. after 10 years having 8.3m ppl paying for your product every month or every hour, is A HELL OF ACHIEVEMENT. PERIOD

if you convert the drop into a percentage it's nothing really.

A game with 500k subs loses 10% of subs the headline is;

"Game X loses 50k subs down to 450k subscribers."

WoW loses 10% and the headline reads;  

"WoW loses 1.3 Million subscribers"

They both read quite differently but it's all perception.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

There are not enough tuff rednecks to even play Eve on this planet, thats why it keeps around 500k subs.

WoW is like disney its easy to get into to.

Thing with WoW is, they will never let us know how big the EU/USA market is, or how big their 5 cent per hour asia market is.

In the end Blizzard lost players who stood by them for many years and let them walk out due to panda's joke xpac and total destruction of classes that where fun to play and needed a ghostcrawler fuck up rebalance.

He changed to much of the game, not to mention that blizzard left servers to rot for years....

some servers are still begging Blizzard after 4 years to do something about the death of their server, and they are still counting their money and laugh down on those pity souls when they pay a sub.

Blizzard lost players who are left with a very bitter taste after being loyal for many many years.

including me and my wife who will never forget the epic moments we had since vanila.

ashame that a company as blizzard changed to a hungry money wolf.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Guess the whole panda thing didn't work.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• netosampaionetosampaio Member UncommonPosts: 23
    its totally normal, the game is almost 10 years old, but its still rocking because of the lack of end game content of other games.
  • CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

OMG a game as old as WOW is loosing subs.. how on earth does that happen..

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Every new MMO makes a dent in WoW subs, whether it is temporary or permanent. I wonder when will low critical point of subs be reached, when people will start leaving in droves, for the sheer lack of players required to do any meaningful content?

Edit: NVM my statement above. Forgot about cross-realm PVP and PVE.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by netosampaio
    its totally normal, the game is almost 10 years old, but its still rocking because of the lack of end game content of other games.

Thats sadly it though, the reason the game is still going strong compared to all other MMOs, is that no other MMO can touch its endgame content.

Developers should have learnt this with AoC.