Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Conference call: SWTOR with just under 500k subs, 1.7 million free to play

Comments

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    Originally posted by Vunak23
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by udon
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by MyBoot

Most MMO's would kill for 500K subs

Look at EVE it's been around for years and never had that many subs and it's considered a success.

Most MMO's don't have expensive IP's to license, or development budgets in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.  

Regardless it still makes it the 2nd largest Sub based MMO I believe. 

^ This :)

Wrong.

Lineage 1 and 2 as well as RIFT and AION are much much much bigger than SWTOR in terms of accounts and subs. I even think TERA has more lol. Hell UO has 500k right now. 

Umm...If this is true, please back it up with proof. Until you can show where you get your information from, don't say "Wrong" and spit some made up numbers there.

• geldonyetichgeldonyetich Member Posts: 1,340

I believe it.  SWTOR was one of the few games to follow in WoW's footsteps that managed to come away with a modicum of success.  It had subscribers in the hundreds of thousands since launch, and those numbers have been relatively stable.  The F2P option helps a lot with MMOG sustainability as well.

It's not World of Warcraft 13M worldwide... but who is?  These are EverQuest numbers that SWTOR has, EverQuest never peaked about 600k players, and if you don't think EverQuest was a success you're dead wrong.  EverQuest was enough of a success that World of Warcraft based itself off of it!   EverQuest is still success enough that it's still plugging along, even putting out more expansions.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by Cecropia
    Originally posted by doodphace

Considering its "slightly under half a mil", and EVE is just over 500k, that would rank it 3rd.

Yup.

EVE is still number 2, they surpassed 500K back in February I think it was.

Happy for them:) they are loosing one this month though. I am not going to renew it.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

Look at EVE it's been around for years and never had that many subs and it's considered a success.

Most MMO's don't have expensive IP's to license, or development budgets in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.  

Wrong.

Lineage 1 and 2 as well as RIFT and AION are much much much bigger than SWTOR in terms of accounts and subs. I even think TERA has more lol. Hell UO has 500k right now. 

Making up numbers is fun!

Originally posted by DaRoamer

Wrong.

You guys missed it. All these games together have 500k  :) Making numbers is fun!!!

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

So fans and folks whose lives are good because of SWTOR ,

How's it sit that they originally pre launch said (they as in the SWTOR devs) it would compete and possibly surpass WoW subs ?

I'd call 500 k vs 10 million predicted a failure in any measurement.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Wrong.

You guys missed it. All these games together have 500k  :) Making numbers is fun!!!

Can I has your stuff?

Originally posted by Dahkoht

So fans and folks whose lives are good because of SWTOR ,

How's it sit that they originally pre launch said (they as in the SWTOR devs) it would compete and possibly surpass WoW subs ?

I'd call 500 k vs 10 million predicted a failure in any measurement.

They did not surpass WoW subs. In this sense it was a failure. Someone wise said about lost love, I think it was M. Lackey in Vanyel trilogy: Just because you lost the greatest love it does not mean that you are not going to find happiness in a lesser one.

Maybe they failed to bring millions subs, but they have dedicated half a million of fans who love the game and who will stick with them to the end.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Wrong.

harharhar L1 and 2, AION and TERA are all still huge in Korea. Not to mention they still are running over here in the western market (Except L1). RIFT had just under a million subs last I checked what a year ago? And they just launched storm legion which did pretty well itself . As for UO a study came out in 2012 stating that there were a total of 495k players that had logged in in the last 30 days (November I believe it was taken) that were unguilded players. That is the last concurent data on the game so it is all we have to go by. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

Originally posted by Dihoru

Wrong.

Can I has your stuff?

LOL nope :)

Wrong.

harharhar L1 and 2, AION and TERA are all still huge in Korea. Not to mention they still are running over here in the western market (Except L1). RIFT had just under a million subs last I checked what a year ago? And they just launched storm legion which did pretty well itself . As for UO a study came out in 2012 stating that there were a total of 495k players that had logged in in the last 30 days (November I believe it was taken) that were unguilded players. That is the last concurent data on the game so it is all we have to go by. 

Damn... I thought I was funny making this up...you guys really took it seriously? Of course these games have together more that 500 k LOL.

And btw Rift is dying. Everybody knows it. And approaching 1 million mark was for sold copies, not subs. How many people actually subbed who knows. And it was June 2011. Rift never announced subscription numbers, I bet they would if they did well.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Color me impressed.  I had guessed more like 350k.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.

Wrong.

UO has a free trial, people logging in means absolutely nothing in terms of sub numbers.  I'd still like to see a link to that  study.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It's really difficult to discern rankings within different subscription models, since every mmo company defines them differently.  Some are monthly or yearly, or have different criteria.  Take WoW for example, they count subscription numbers in China, but in China, i've read that subs were counted even though it wasn't a monthly payment model.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    who cares how many ppl are sub/playing.....the game isnt fun imo , so meh...
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Those are pretty solid numbers for what it is. In 10 years they'll make their money back.

Joined - July 2004

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by superniceguy

Subs were under 1 million in August. Under 500K subs is not good when they need 500K subs to break even.

Also it depends on when they took those figures. Even I subbed for Makeb, when I have been unsubbed since F2P went live, and was probably included in that figure for subs, but now I am unsubbed. They probably got quite a few more subs for Makeb since it got you the expansion for $10.

1.7 million new accounts is not great when WOW has had way more than 10 million new accounts for a subbed based games, and still has about 9 million subbers.

Clone Wars Adventures managed to get 8 million users within the first year, reckon SWTOR will beat that by Nov?

If I remember correctly, the 500K subs were PRE F2P numbers.  If they are making money from the cash shops then I'm sure that number is lower now.  And please stop with the WoW numbers.  We all know the figure and we all should know that a huge chunk of their numbers are from China and they don't subscribe pre se.  Besides, as much account hacking goes on with that POS do you really want that kind of attention from hackers there would be if it had millions of subscribers?

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by remyburke
    Those are pretty solid numbers for what it is. In 10 years they'll make their money back.

I have this feeling they have already made their money back and pulling in profits now.

Originally posted by doodphace
    Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D

Wrong.

Umm...If this is true, please back it up with proof. Until you can show where you get your information from, don't say "Wrong" and spit some made up numbers there.

[mod edit]

No clue ...-_- I don't think he understands how many people that is for an mmo.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Have to admit, those are pretty encouraging stats for a healthy MMO so, congrats to EA/BioWare.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Wrong.

Still waiting for those sources...

• sado2020sado2020 Member Posts: 112

Played SWToR for about six months with my wife and a few buddies.  Game was pretty fun even though it wasn't my thing. 

With that Im glad the game is where the devs want it to be to where they can and will push out more content :)

Playing: TSW, D&D NW, Defiance (more the tv show than game >.> ) LotRO, DCUO

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I started playing this game again.  Not sure why I stopped.  Started a new trooper, taking my time watching the quest cinematics, and having a blast.  I had forgotten how much work they put in to make me feel like I'm actually part of a story instead of just reading quests (or blind accepting quests).

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Just announced on the EA 4th quarter conference call.  Subs currently sitting at just under half a million subs, 1.7 million new free to play players since Nov and doubled revenues.  Sub number still growing.

Well i can tell you that those numbers are slanted big time.How can they say 1.7 f2p since November?You can only goto level 20 and you can do that in anywhere from 2-5 days.So ALL thosee f2p subs from November are either done playing or don't care to play anymore.

That part should have been obvious,they were definitely trying to inflate  numbers here.So if they are willing to mislead the F2p,why would i think any different on the subs?They are probably counting every single sub they have had since November.

Approx 20 servers ,around 35k per server is around 700k total.I notice only the 9 US servers are busy but might be the time of day.

I would say still not bad,but not the numbers they are claiming.

Here is some REAL numbers.EA stock has fallen almost 40% since that November,this also lead to the recent STEP down or imo told to relieve himself of his duties CEO.If things are going well or holding steadfast,they don't drop that badly and people don't step down or get fired.

Almost all of the blame was on this game,so it is not doing as well as claim.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Wizardry
    Just announced on the EA 4th quarter conference call.  Subs currently sitting at just under half a million subs, 1.7 million new free to play players since Nov and doubled revenues.  Sub number still growing.

Well i can tell you that those numbers are slanted big time.

Ok, thanks for letting us know.