Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Ciizen, sounds like an MMO is it?

2»

Comments

• Imperator101Imperator101 Member Posts: 131
    [mod edit] this game is a Hybrid. Any game which supports at least 1000 players in one instance is an MMO, this will also have user created content/mods on their own servers. 

• InoyInoy Member Posts: 1

For me the question would be would I play it/try it out?

I see enough there to think that yes I would at least try it,and see if it's playable enough to keep playing.

• DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by Phaserlight
    Magiknight:
    Vendetta Online
    Eve Online

Neither of these games have instances, and they are both what I would consider "modern MMOs"

Deadspace/complexes that you find or use for missions are instanced. It's just that other players can scan out and enter that instance. Warp animations are your loading screen. Just thought you should know.

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by thinktank001

The game will have MMO like elements, but it won't be an MMO.

By your logic it´s a NMO ? Not massive offline ? lol.. please

How about AMMO?

Almost-Massively Multiplayer Online

C'mon, you have to admit the acronym sounds cool! image

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by MarXon
    This has confused me quite alot aswell. As I understood it, it's based on player servers, like Counter Strike for example. And if that is the case it's not an mmo since it's not a persistent world rather official or player created servers.

Yes and No.

This game is a lot of things. I think it would be more proper to call it a franchise than a game.

To recap:

That we know of we have:

Squadron 42: Single player /Co-OP mission driven, story based space simulation game based on the like of Wing Commander and X-Wing. As a single player game it might have DLCs in the sense of extra campaigns you can play after release. Completing these campaigns will give you some bonus in the MMO of the franchise.

Star Citizen private server: This is like Counterstrike. Actually, to be more precise, it is like Freelancer. You can create your own private server and invite your friends to play. So Multiplayer game. Unknown yet what is the interaction between the MMO and these private servers. ie: does the story advance like in the MMO? what about discovery of systems and stuff like that? can you choose?

Sar Citizen Persisten servers: The MMO. All players playing in the same persistent universe, able to interact with each other etc. Yes, it has plenty of different features, like player filtering and ability to put the PvP slider all to 0 and encounter almost no one. Then again this is exactly what Elder Scroll Online wants to do with their ad-hoc instancing where you set parameters like "roleplayers" or even "18+" and the server filters you out (I want to see how this work with their concept of conquest based PvP btw..), so if that one is considered an MMO so is this one.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

It's basically a big space sim sandbox with some single player and coop campaign gameplay.  They aren't using the term MMO to describe it because they don't want the masses thinking it will be a big themepark game.  On their site on one FAQ question they flat out say it's not an MMO, then in another section they call it an MMO.  

I avoided this game when the launch started last year because so many people were arguing over what kind of game it is.  After reading up on it fully and listening to some of the interviews out there, this game is exactly what I want.  Hell, you can go out there and roleplay Firefly or anything else you want.

The part that is really trippy about it is the concept of private servers.  Not only will there be a core server run by the company, there will be private servers where people will be modding and themeing the HELL out of the game to make their own space.  I may end up in a divorce when this thing launches.... hahah.

I finally pulled the trigger on backing them yesterday for the Digital Colonel package, and I'll end up doing a bunch of add-ons too.  I like the way they are going to alpha the game by rolling out pieces of it for us to test and enjoy too.  Very smart for a game of this scale.

Frankly, I'm having a hard time caring about anything in the gaming world right now because so much GOOD is coming down the line over the next 1-3 years.  The stuff that is out today is just boring by comparison, save for EVE, if you are into that game.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Roberts also admits he plays Eve and like alot of aspects of how CCP created and updates Eve.

For me the most importand aspect of playing a space game is freedom...
    Create a pirate corp
    or create a big alliance that holds the best of the best piece of space and let enemy's come and try and take it away.
    Meta gaming
    Politics
    basicly Eve 2.0 but instead of point and click YOU realy fly the ship and cause havoc.
    From frigate to super capital ships.

I have just one big nono...and thats the hisec / offline / safe pve instance of the game...
    In Eve you can die anywhere if you undock...
    It gives me that be on your gaurd tingeling every time i undock :)

If you can make enough credits / isk in parts of the game where no danger is present from other players then i skipp this mmo instandly.

Space games should have a vicious circle of (we all need each other)
    from mining to pvp from protecting your incomme and trade routs...
    without it the game will just be a carebear game with a little bit of pvp thrown in.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Mothanos

I realy hope this game contains high volume of sandbox.
    Eve Online is still the game to beat since 2003 and this one might be on par or even better as the combat is more shooter like instead of point and click.

Keeping an eye on this one.

QFT! I think there is a large crowd that wants a good persistent space flight simulator RPG. Just look at the people that still play Freelancer. I am also watching this one.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well according to the games own FAQ its not going to be an MMO but it will have some mmo features.. I am glad its not following the trend of other multiplayer games calling themselves MMOs..

This does not make the game worse or anything in-fact its going to rock :)

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Depends on an individuals definition of mmo.  From what Ive read it does appear that way.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes