Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Dragon's Prophet: Runewaker's Onto Something

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Dragon's Prophet is currently in beta testing in both North America and in Europe. We spent some time exploring Runewaker's first foray into the MMO space after Runes of Magic. We think you'll be surprised by what you read. Head to the comments afterward to discuss.

Color me surprised that when I logged into Dragon’s Prophet (to be published by SOE here in the West), what I found instead was a game that’s startling different from the rest of the also-rans out there.  There are plenty of fantasy tropes (the game is entirely based on dragons), kill this and fetch this missions, and your usual loot and gear grind are ever-present.  But what drew me in, aside from the action-based combat, was just how free I was to make what I could of my character and his dragons.  Dragon’s prophet is a surprisingly enticing MMORPG with a good mix of theme-park and sandbox to please fans of each.  Color me interested, and I’ll be watching this one from now on.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Dragon's Prophet: Runewaker's Onto Something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912
    I'm turned off by the same old same old, let's throw dragons into it to give it a spin game. What's worse is that Runes of Magic was total P2W so I don't expect anything different here. Will be staying away.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918
    There are some very interesting concepts here... I'm interested. It would be good to better understand the class/specialization elements, as well as how one swaps out dragons (i.e., is there a SC cost to change your dragons?). Looking forward to Open Beta!
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    I'm turned off by the same old same old, let's throw dragons into it to give it a spin game.

The game is definitely not that. They function like SWTOR and Neverwinter Online companions, but also function as mounts. You have a lair where you can store, train, manage and swap out your dragons. Some glide, some fly, some swim - each with their own stats and abilities.

The game seems to have far more depth than it appears on the surface. It wasn't until around level 10-12 (which you get to very quickly) that I really started seeing how much more there is to Dragon's Prophet.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49

I had heard mention of this game a bit back and didn't give it a second thought. Sounded too much like Pokemon to me.

I was bored the other day and watched the video of the live stream. For the most part, it was pretty interesting - in that "Ok, it's not Pokemon but ... whatever" way, but I kept watching.

Over the course of the video, there would be a detail here and there that would pique my interest. Then another, and then another. Soon I was firmly in the "Going to have to check this out" camp.

Color me interested.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Looks pretty cool, actually.

I see that it's action oriented combat. How deep is it? Also, is the world wide and open? Or are we dealing with a Neverwinter?

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849
    Looks fun in a sort of unengaging way. 

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

Looks pretty cool, actually.

I see that it's action oriented combat. How deep is it? Also, is the world wide and open? Or are we dealing with a Neverwinter?

World seems really wide open, though I can't confirm if there is "zoning" between areas of the map yet.  Need to get more time into the beta. 

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

First off, I cannot believe this Runes of Magic developer can support a cosmetic cash shop.  RoM was such a pay-to-win game, it is just hard to believe they can keep from doing that to this game.

I will watch this game for awhile, might try it if they keep to their word, but RoM was not very pay-to-win at release either.

• AxewielderxAxewielderx Member Posts: 96
    The game is created by the same people as ROM(Runewalker). It is not managed by the same people though(Fraudster). So making it not p2w is possible. I would like to point out the control scheme is nearly identicle to neverwinter. Look with mouse and move with wasd. However, there is no reticle to aim with and that makes it alot harder to aim. So much so that I quite playing the closed beta within a couple of hours. However, just because i did not like that, does not mean others won't. Perhaps I will give it another go again.

If we fail to change the things of today, they will become the lucid nighmares of tommorrow.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Hey folks,

Please remember the NDA for Dragon's Prophet is still in effect.  We're allowed to post this because of our press tour, is all.  Thanks! :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

Main reasons why I'm not going to play this game:

1. There's no trinity. Those of us who enjoy playing traditional tank and healer roles will be screwed first and foremost. And group content will be a mess. Why can't companies just let me enjoy my healer class? It's killing the genre for me. I don't enjoy dps.

2. They are clearly nickel and diming you for everything in this game which is a huge turn off. If you're doing F2P, make it entirely free like TERA did, or just go ahead and let us purchase a box. I don't want to pay real cash for simple in game features that should be part of the basic game like saving skill builds and getting extra bag slots - that is not F2P at all. This game will clearly require everyone to purchase something so don't mask it as free when it's not. No one likes a game that pretends to be something it's not. If they like a game, they'll buy the box. If it's truly free like TERA and they still enjoy the game, they will be happy to buy cash shop items. No one likes it when they feel they're being tricked because we can all see through it. Cash grab poor quality eastern F2P.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I uninstalled it, but then again, I'm a casual, old school gamer who is sick and tired of the action combat trend.

• AxewielderxAxewielderx Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

Hey folks,

Please remember the NDA for Dragon's Prophet is still in effect.  We're allowed to post this because of our press tour, is all.  Thanks! :)

Posting game controls for movement does not say much of anything. Why should any game developers care about that? lol!

If we fail to change the things of today, they will become the lucid nighmares of tommorrow.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

I uninstalled it, but then again, I'm a casual, old school gamer who is sick and tired of the action combat trend.

Some of us are sick and tired of the crappy, easy, unfun, mindless tab target trend. Glad that "trend" is dying.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    I'm turned off by the same old same old, let's throw dragons into it to give it a spin game. What's worse is that Runes of Magic was total P2W so I don't expect anything different here. Will be staying away.

Yeah the game is most definitely not the same old thing. You should read up on how the dragons actually work. You learn skills by taming dragons and raising them, and you can combine your dragons skills.  Not only that, but the dragons act as combat pets and also as your mounts.

All of the 4 classes can be healers, tanks or dps... because the important skills are all learnt from the dragons. Not inherent to a certain class.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Leiloni

1. There's no trinity. Those of us who enjoy playing traditional tank and healer roles will be screwed first and foremost. And group content will be a mess. Why can't companies just let me enjoy my healer class? It's killing the genre for me. I don't enjoy dps.

2. They are clearly nickel and diming you for everything in this game which is a huge turn off. If you're doing F2P, make it entirely free like TERA did, or just go ahead and let us purchase a box. I don't want to pay real cash for simple in game features that should be part of the basic game like saving skill builds and getting extra bag slots - that is not F2P at all. This game will clearly require everyone to purchase something so don't mask it as free when it's not. No one likes a game that pretends to be something it's not. If they like a game, they'll buy the box. If it's truly free like TERA and they still enjoy the game, they will be happy to buy cash shop items. No one likes it when they feel they're being tricked because we can all see through it. Cash grab poor quality eastern F2P.

1. There is a trinity. Its just that you learn the skills from your dragons, not from your class.

2. Fair call, SoE still needs to work on its F2P models.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Vorthanion

Some of us are sick and tired of the crappy, easy, unfun, mindless tab target trend. Glad that "trend" is dying.

i personally like tab targeting (i never touch the tab button anyway), But as long as i can use my gamepad in action combat mmos i can live with that too. Tried beta with Xpadder and feels better than mouse (personall preference, of course)

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Its a bad sign IMO when only 3 paragraphs into a article it mentions how you have to buy station cash to save a build. I'm no stranger to the F2P games but SOE takes the cake for forcing you to spend money. ie "Ah look you just got a nice item drop bet you'd like to equip it wouldn't you? Fine that will be only $5.99 to equip that item you just fought so hard to get!"(EQ2 ) True enough theres really nothing "Free" in most F2P games SOE makes extra sure.
    Originally posted by evilastro

1. There is a trinity. Its just that you learn the skills from your dragons, not from your class.

2. Fair call, SoE still needs to work on its F2P models.

You can get one or two healing skills at most. That does not make you a healer, it's more along the lines of what GW2 does.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100

Looks like something that my 6 and 8yr olds would have a blast with. Which is a good thing and might give them a good niche. Let the hardcore folks who want to really invest do all the elder PvP and dungeons, all-in-all could be a good game but time will tell.

We adults are still waiting for ESO and/or Wildstar. <3

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by winter
    Its a bad sign IMO when only 3 paragraphs into a article it mentions how you have to buy station cash to save a build. I'm no stranger to the F2P games but SOE takes the cake for forcing you to spend money. ie "Ah look you just got a nice item drop bet you'd like to equip it wouldn't you? Fine that will be only $5.99 to equip that item you just fought so hard to get!"(EQ2 ) True enough theres really nothing "Free" in most F2P games SOE makes extra sure.

Actually its about 35 cents

SoE is probably the most lenient out of the western options.  Way better than LOTRO (which goes after subbed players for things such as exp disablers that are standard in every other game), Neverwinter, SWTOR, etc.

Its only the Korean games that are funded by their Korean playerbase that are better (TERA, L2, Aion).  

The interesting thing will be RoM's p2w clashing with SoE's stance against p2w.  But SoE's games have always been designed around subs so a subless game will be new to them.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

The whole premise of taming dragons and one big bad dragon ios a rip off from the movie Avatar.

None the less,i enjoyed  Runes of Magic but not Frogster.I think this game will probably be decent enough to play,i spent 6 months in ROM a lot longer than ,most games keep my interest ,including Wow.

I do wish they went further than just dragons but again the game is probably decent enough,Runewalker is ok injmy books.I think having SOE as the publisher is a huge plus,i have never had any problem with customer support from SOE,imo they are the best at that.

I still remember having  a lot of problms with bugged account in EQ2 and a SOE GM went out her way to login into game and ask me if everything was worked out,i was quite impressed.I mean she could have just sent me a PM or email like most do.

I would say 100% i will eventually try this game out.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I know ROM was a huge pay to win but ,if a game is good enough,i don't mind paying as i did in ROM.I mean seriously you EXPECT to pay,nobody works for free.

That is the only real reason F2p works,it allows you to test the game to see if you would spend any money on it.If not ,you lose nothing.

As for pvp then yes pay to win does not work at all,but i don't pvp in rpg's so no worries for me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    No trinity, no thank you. I'm skipping this one.