Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bait and Switch - Why PS2 doesn't deserve that name.

2»

Comments

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Ok, FPS on a mass scale is appealing in a pew pew sort of way. That's not PS, but fine.

Why serve one market when you can serve two? SOE should spinoff PS2 and make the spinoff more strategic and war like rather than a water balloon fight. I.e., akin to PS1 with lattuce lines, hack times, etc. The only thing I wanted from PS2 was improved graphics and, possibly, sea-going vessels. Beyond that PS1 was perfect.

SOE's 'one code base' mentality is a liability which I feel costs them millions of customers every year. When NGE hit, they contemplated spinning off a new game instead of overwriting SWG. But they didn't and the rest is history.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Well, I really agree with most of the complains.

Try it during this week and this game feels like a ping pong.

It is not that much fun when you ( lvl 8 ) clear 1 magazine on a lvl 60 and they won't go down.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I played Planetside for two years, best online game ever despite of SOE doing it's best to kill it.

I just started Planetside 2 last night and played for 6 hours straight.

Thanks for your summary, something was off but I couldn't put my fingers on it.

I also have a better understanding of how the game works now.

Not being able to place CE around bridges and bases is a big one also not being able to cloak very well. My two favorite things I did in PS1.  I also noticed it takes a LONG time to get cert points. I think I got 10 per hour if that. (a weapon costs 500)

Also I don't like one hit kill weapons. The sniper rifle can now kill me in one hit. I think I even got killed by a shotgun in one hit.

Could you also make a list of things Planetside 2 does better then Planetside 1?

I think the graphics for instance are absolutely amazing, BIG towering bases and the scenery looks awsome as well.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by xmenty

Well, I really agree with most of the complains.

Try it during this week and this game feels like a ping pong.

It is not that much fun when you ( lvl 8 ) clear 1 magazine on a lvl 60 and they won't go down.

hacker report him

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    The aim bots did it for me, only in PS2 can a dude with a SMG go toe to toe wiith a sniper(infiltrator) at distance. 
    Originally posted by thekid1

I played Planetside for two years, best online game ever despite of SOE doing it's best to kill it.

I just started Planetside 2 last night and played for 6 hours straight.

Thanks for your summary, something was off but I couldn't put my fingers on it.

I also have a better understanding of how the game works now.

Not being able to place CE around bridges and bases is a big one also not being able to cloak very well. My two favorite things I did in PS1.  I also noticed it takes a LONG time to get cert points. I think I got 10 per hour if that. (a weapon costs 500)

Also I don't like one hit kill weapons. The sniper rifle can now kill me in one hit. I think I even got killed by a shotgun in one hit.

Could you also make a list of things Planetside 2 does better then Planetside 1?

I think the graphics for instance are absolutely amazing, BIG towering bases and the scenery looks awsome as well.

it doesnt do anything better than planetside 1 or daoc, which are the pinacle of this kind of pvp. (sadly both got broke with expansions)

BUT.........

Its a considerably better game than GW2, WAR, AION etc..  

And it is improving with patches / expansion - such as

Anti air is now better. improvements to AA maxes, new rocket launchers

Anti vehicle is now better. engineers carry more mines, new rocket launchers, engi anti vehicle turret

It has a bit more meta game with the alerts

shotguns got toned down

hackers are less frequently encountered

cert gain is faster

subscribers get a ton of certs while offline now.

good tactics pay off, like MAX drops, pre assualts  with infiltrator squads etc..

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    You forgot to add that it takes 5 or more hits from an anti-tank rocket launcher to take out a tank but anyone can run up and drop a mine near it and take it out.  The tank doesnt even have to run it over, you just drop it next to it.  Cant tell you how much it irks me to unload that 1000 cert point anti-tank launcher at a tank, hit all 5 times and just watch it roll away as I stand there out of ammo and then later see an engie run up and drop a mine next to a sundy and take it out all by himself.   
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Talonsin
    You forgot to add that it takes 5 or more hits from an anti-tank rocket launcher to take out a tank but anyone can run up and drop a mine near it and take it out.  The tank doesnt even have to run it over, you just drop it next to it.  Cant tell you how much it irks me to unload that 1000 cert point anti-tank launcher at a tank, hit all 5 times and just watch it roll away as I stand there out of ammo and then later see an engie run up and drop a mine next to a sundy and take it out all by himself.   

you cant drop mines on top of tanks anymore, they fixed that.

C4 drops from light assualts are still a cool way to take tanks out though.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

Hmm, seems as though your rockets are weaker then mine. I can take them out in 2-3 shots.

You get cheaters in tab Target mmo pvp too. They're just as susceptible to speed, teleport, invulnerability and wall hacks. They also introduce the ability to hack gcd so several spells spike on the same tick.

I've encountered more hackers in the likes of wow, war and gw2 than I have either planetside.
  • thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Soki123

Hmm, seems as though your rockets are weaker then mine. I can take them out in 2-3 shots.

I'm a new player and I already learned to use land vehicles just for transport.

Infantry (and air off course) can kill my tank in what seems to be only a few hits.

Plus the terrain isn't very suitable for vehicles and I get half stuck on buildings a lot of the time.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I'm confused at what part of the OPs criticisms makes this game a bait and switch?

The game has flaws, it's arguably not as good as PS1, but how does that somehow mean you were 'cheated' or that they advertised one thing and gave you another.

They promised an updated game based off the original. Which it is. Surprise! Sequels aren't always as good as the originals. It's a free game, I guess I don't understand the amount of butthurt here. Also, the whole community thing is definitely server / faction specific. I have a couple characters on multiple servers, and on the one I play most (TR) we most definitely care about the maps. We're constantly switching maps to try and flip what we can. I'm not going to say that's how the majority of the game is for everyone, because I just don't know, but I know enough to say there are portions of the community that don't act like that. Sorry you rolled on a server that does.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by aesperus

I'm confused at what part of the OPs criticisms makes this game a bait and switch?

I explained perfectly well why it's a bait and switch.  This game has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Planetside 1 except for taking a few dozen names and copy-pasting them onto a completely different game.  It's not even the same style of gameplay.  It would be like EA hyping up the next Madden game and then you get home with it and find out that all the NFL players are there, but they're playing soccer instead of football.

The game has flaws, it's arguably not as good as PS1, but how does that somehow mean you were 'cheated' or that they advertised one thing and gave you another.

But... they DID advertise one thing and then give us another.  They made a game called Planetside 2 and it turns out it's not a strategic game in any way whatsoever.   It's been dumbed down so much that the learning curve is upside down. It makes window lickers look smart.

PS1 required thought and planning.  You only got a certain amount of certs and there were way more certs in the game than you had points to spend them on.  This meant that you actually had to think about your character and what role you wanted to play on your team.  Do I really need heavy armor, or can I get away with light armor and an MCG?  Can I spare any certs for a vehicle cert and if so, what kind of vehicle do I prefer?

Then you had to set up your loadout.  How much regular ammo do I need?  How much armor peircing will I need on this loadout?  Can I get away with not having any AP ammo at all if I pack a rocket launcher?  

Then you had to pick your implants.  Do I really want Darklight vision or would a shield boost be more helpful?

They promised an updated game based off the original. Which it is. Surprise! Sequels aren't always as good as the originals. It's a free game, I guess I don't understand the amount of butthurt here. Also, the whole community thing is definitely server / faction specific. I have a couple characters on multiple servers, and on the one I play most (TR) we most definitely care about the maps. We're constantly switching maps to try and flip what we can. I'm not going to say that's how the majority of the game is for everyone, because I just don't know, but I know enough to say there are portions of the community that don't act like that. Sorry you rolled on a server that does.

Yes, they did promise this.  Then they gave us Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 with a never ending stream of one-shot-kill vehicles added in for good measure.

You're playing the game exactly the way I said most people are playing it.  You're constantly switching maps in order to flip bases for conversion xp.  Sooo, how is that not exactly what I said people were doing?

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    Originally posted by aesperus

I'm confused at what part of the OPs criticisms makes this game a bait and switch?The game has flaws, it's arguably not as good as PS1, but how does that somehow mean you were 'cheated' or that they advertised one thing and gave you another.They promised an updated game based off the original. Which it is. Surprise! Sequels aren't always as good as the originals. It's a free game, I guess I don't understand the amount of butthurt here. Also, the whole community thing is definitely server / faction specific. I have a couple characters on multiple servers, and on the one I play most (TR) we most definitely care about the maps. We're constantly switching maps to try and flip what we can. I'm not going to say that's how the majority of the game is for everyone, because I just don't know, but I know enough to say there are portions of the community that don't act like that. Sorry you rolled on a server that does.

I think he just feels it isn't really Planetside. I have to agree it doesn't play anything like the original. Most people seem to find it more in line with the Battlefield series, though I have not played any of them personally.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    PS2 is really  more or less a battlefield mmofps attempt it has almost nothing in common with PS1  apart from the name of vechiles and such .
    The changes to the resource system
    The new alert feature

Both make it important to hold territory.

Then there's the hex system on the beta server.

It's really not a "keep trading" game.

The ttk needs to be longer though.