Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Guild Wars 2: Growing Up

Comments

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Oh yeah I would really like to get guild halls too!!! Something thee guild could work toward upgrading.
  • eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

People are such self centered beasts it's sickening to watch someone try to appeal to the masses. This is the problem that is inherint with forums and yet people will still argue that it has merit.

If they put in a great LFG tool then people will say the game doesn't promote social behaviors and it might as well just be a lobby game so it sucks. 

If they don't put in a LFG tool then the game doesn't give people the tools to find groups efficiently so it sucks.

They have already taken away forced grouping in open world PvE, so I can see them being reluctant to put too much into a LFG tool. 

When it comes to customer relations, you need to balance your efforts around the most important people.  If you're the type of person that feels the game is crap because it doesn't have one particular simple mechanic, than I'm guessing that you're NOT one of those most important people, and frankly that is exactly the way it should be.  If you want a tool to be available in a game that you like, then hopefully there is a great enough percentage of players that feel the same and it would probably get done.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Why so much coverage? For nearly a year now, every week we get several articles on GW2. I've never seen this amount of constant coverage on a game, and not saying much.

Like this article, is this news? 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by bcbully

Why so much coverage? For nearly a year now, every week we get several articles on GW2. I've never seen this amount of constant coverage on a game, and not saying much.

just a guess but maybe because they enjoy the game more than the others? i personally dislike writing about things I don't enjoy on a constant basis and love writing about things i do enjoy.. i know an odd concept for this place but ....yea:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

just a guess but maybe because they enjoy the game more than the others? i personally dislike writing about things I don't enjoy on a constant basis and love writing about things i do enjoy.. i know an odd concept for this place but ....yea:)

Man that's a lot of joy.. Well i shouldn't be so surprised because GW2 is all about fun. :p

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • QullexQullex Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Lunarpac

Or maybe it was because of the chaos that was combat. The "threat" mechanic seemed way off. I was told there were no threat mechanics, yet I had aggro 90% of the time in dungeons (played Guardian, GS or scepter/shield). It didn't seem like random aggro. In the end I got tired of dying, because no matter how many defensive cooldowns I slotted in my hotbar, and blew during combat, I would still end up dying way more than anyone else. You can only dodge, bubble, and shield so many times. 

If you were told there would be no threat mechanics, you were lied to. The devs said thre would be no mechanics to grab threat (so no skill to cause a mob to attack you). However, mobs usually focus on the closest toon and there are some additional scripts beyond that (attacking a weakened player, attacking the biggest threat, etc., with some variabtion by mob)

Based on experience you describe, if you ever come back to game, I suggest trying a different build. In my case, in my recent Crucible of Eternety run throughs there were several times where party wiped... except for the Guardian who proceeded to solo Subject Alpha. He was using Strife's build for team anchor Guard. No idea what you were running, but it may be more to your liking.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Man that's a lot of joy.. Well i shouldn't be so surprised because GW2 is all about fun. :p

that it is:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GODGANONDORFGODGANONDORF Member Posts: 59
    Because is fun and guild wars rule!!

DARK AND LIGHT I GOVERN BOTH

• MsFitMsFit Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Skills still tied to weapons? No thank you!
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by eyelolled

People are such self centered beasts it's sickening to watch someone try to appeal to the masses. This is the problem that is inherint with forums and yet people will still argue that it has merit.

If they put in a great LFG tool then people will say the game doesn't promote social behaviors and it might as well just be a lobby game so it sucks. 

If they don't put in a LFG tool then the game doesn't give people the tools to find groups efficiently so it sucks.

They have already taken away forced grouping in open world PvE, so I can see them being reluctant to put too much into a LFG tool. 

When it comes to customer relations, you need to balance your efforts around the most important people.  If you're the type of person that feels the game is crap because it doesn't have one particular simple mechanic, than I'm guessing that you're NOT one of those most important people, and frankly that is exactly the way it should be.  If you want a tool to be available in a game that you like, then hopefully there is a great enough percentage of players that feel the same and it would probably get done.

So trueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

TL;DR - So true

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by cronius77

Endgame, hah.

i feel the same about it as you , and feel like if they would of added in raiding for the pvers and some sort of actual progression this game would of been a much larger hit and continue to get bigger eventually to wows numbers. But they instead made a casual game where everyone is the exact same when you hit 80 and the only thing to do is run fractal gizillion or world vs world with no meaning at all there either unless you want useless guard and siege passives. Its to bad to , a lot of people love wow and being different in every way to wow is a great thing but a trinity based system and some actual reward for your effort in the form of carrot on a stick if you want to call it that would of made this game much much more popular IMO. Right now people get bored and log off until the next patch , just like Rifts population.

I agree with this. I believe that this game would have actually grown if it had had some more endgame based content. It might have broken the cycle of quick to rise and then rapidly taper off populations that all of these new games seem to have today. Sadly there hasn't been a game since WoW  and Eve that has been able to do that.  I so wanted to like this game. I really did. The art work is amazing. It was just in the end, I didn't feel any sense of accomplishment. My character didn't feel stronger. There was also so little to do. The idea of events changing everything seemed great...... but doing events over and over is no different then repeating quests and gets boring quite fast. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Is the game fun yet?  I never could stay interested beyond about level 40 for some reason.  Crappy story and boring combat :/

You make me like charity

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Endgame, hah.

i feel the same about it as you , and feel like if they would of added in raiding for the pvers and some sort of actual progression this game would of been a much larger hit and continue to get bigger eventually to wows numbers. But they instead made a casual game where everyone is the exact same when you hit 80 and the only thing to do is run fractal gizillion or world vs world with no meaning at all there either unless you want useless guard and siege passives. Its to bad to , a lot of people love wow and being different in every way to wow is a great thing but a trinity based system and some actual reward for your effort in the form of carrot on a stick if you want to call it that would of made this game much much more popular IMO. Right now people get bored and log off until the next patch , just like Rifts population.

I agree with this. I believe that this game would have actually grown if it had had some more endgame based content. It might have broken the cycle of quick to rise and then rapidly taper off populations that all of these new games seem to have today. Sadly there hasn't been a game since WoW  and Eve that has been able to do that.  I so wanted to like this game. I really did. The art work is amazing. It was just in the end, I didn't feel any sense of accomplishment. My character didn't feel stronger. There was also so little to do. The idea of events changing everything seemed great...... but doing events over and over is no different then repeating quests and gets boring quite fast. 

yeah, the repeating of the same content gets boring, so they should have included raids.  That makes such a huge difference! I can't beleive that nobody mentioned this earlier!  Rather than being forced to repeat content, they should have implimented a design where people are forced to repeat content!  Brilliant!!!!!!!  Blows my fricken mind how this little gem snuck past the developers!!!

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

Endgame, hah.

yeah, the repeating of the same content gets boring, so they should have included raids.  That makes such a huge difference! I can't beleive that nobody mentioned this earlier!  Rather than being forced to repeat content, they should have implimented a design where people are forced to repeat content!  Brilliant!!!!!!!  Blows my fricken mind how this little gem snuck past the developers!!!

Raids add a social aspect that appeals to a lot of players. Also, raids can take a long time to accomplish when they are hard and provide a sense of progression and accomplishment. I am not saying that raiding is the only thing that they could have done, but the game needed some other form of progression to hold my interest and many others apparently...... If it had had something like that, I think this game might have grown like WoW or EvE as opposed to tapering off......

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Endgame, hah.

Seriously though, I really really wanted to love GW2. Me and my friends had a good time leveling up, but I always felt that something was missing.

Maybe it was the collection of gear. In GW2, gear hardly matters at all, and next-to-top gear is easily attainable. To me, that was a little off-putting. Once I felt like my character was finished visually and stat-wise (which happened pretty quickly), I just didn't see any reason to play anymore.

Or maybe it was because of the chaos that was combat. The "threat" mechanic seemed way off. I was told there were no threat mechanics, yet I had aggro 90% of the time in dungeons (played Guardian, GS or scepter/shield). It didn't seem like random aggro. In the end I got tired of dying, because no matter how many defensive cooldowns I slotted in my hotbar, and blew during combat, I would still end up dying way more than anyone else. You can only dodge, bubble, and shield so many times.

Those were my 2 major bugbears with the game, which on many levels is a brilliant piece of work, but I just didn't love it as much as I wanted to.

Well said, I've been trying to find a way to explain how I feel and you just did it for me word for word.  Now, hopefully Arenanet can take our opinion and maybe do something about it.  I'm not counting the game out just yet.

• zimeronzimeron Member UncommonPosts: 15

Originally posted by Razeekster
    I just wish that 100% world completion wasn't partly based on WvW. It's a feature that's more PvE oriented yet they decided that to be able to complete it 100% you had to join a PvP map. That seems very unfair to PvE players.

I agree with this entirely. I have been sitting at 99% completion for months now because my server isn't getting switched into the one borderlands I need to complete in the match rotations. It is really annoying me, since I have 100% of Tyria done; why should the Mists count?

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Yeah, it is pretty cool to see GW1 style cutscenes back. I also prefer that over the personal story way.

I still think though that the GW2 cities are lacking. It is great that they are so large and they look awesome. But that is all they are atm. A pretty picture. Culling is still existing there and it really breaks immersion for me , especially during events that players only turn up when you are close enough. The names show, but that is even worse imo to just see names for a while.

But maybe my friends and I are just a small minority and most players don't care to see many players during festivities in cities. And instead are just too busy doing their personal achievements and spamming chat with LFG.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918
    Originally posted by MsFit
    Skills still tied to weapons? No thank you!

This is my largest gripe as well. I don't actually mind the skills being "grouped" the way they are, but would rather have been able to choose which actual weapon model to hook them up to. Maybe someday.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

GW1 = made for PvP from the ground up. The majority of GW1 was about actually working together as a team with max-level characters to survive and solve the dungeons. Players went from parties of 4 to 8 with a single case or two being 12 players. 

GW2 = made for PvE with a company claiming their empty sPvP was made to be an esport. Lets not forget the same woman responsible for handling nexon game cash shops handles Anet's cash shop, and slowly players are being enticed to spend spend spend.

I find the game to be fun only when rolling with an active guild. Even so, this game has such a bad retention rate of players and its dungeons leaves a lot to be desired. Of course that might be attributed to the fact the game story starts about your character and by the end of the game your character is a secondary character that is just along for the ride in helping a sylvari general save the world. 

No game has ever made me feel so utterly useless than this one by endgame. 

• goemoegoemoe Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Every article about GW2 here reads like a dev from ArenaNet has written it. It is far from fair stuff for discussions. The game is good, I like to play it - still, but the endless big talk about mediocre features of this game starts to get annoying. It is hard enough to see those ArenaNet guys doing this stuff every day. Please get back to normal reports of at least tell us, what you get paid for it. *sigh*
  • jacktorsjacktors Member UncommonPosts: 180
    I see no mention of housing. I think that a cool place of your own in a vast community would really add to the immersion of the game. I love the idea of a do it yourself style housing system, where players can buy a plot of land and start a house building adventure. Let us run all over Tyria for the rare building blocks needed to creat our dream homes. But please, please keep all of the homes within the same community (instance) so we can visit, commune, or even throw a party with other players.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by marz.at.play
    Until they add GvG battles like they had in GW1, this game shouldn't even be called Guild Wars. Most if not all of the fanatic GvG players from GW1 have stayed away from this game. Garbage! I can't believe this is what we waited for for 7 years.

Sure doesn't seem to have hurt sales any.  Hopefully they'll add it anyway since "so many" people wanted the feature.  I don't think a game is garbage if it doesn't have what I wanted though, that's just a personal thing.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by alf2ooo
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Until they add GvG battles like they had in GW1, this game shouldn't even be called Guild Wars. Most if not all of the fanatic GvG players from GW1 have stayed away from this game. Garbage! I can't believe this is what we waited for for 7 years.

The name Guild Wars HAS NOTHING to do with GvG but it does with the history and lore of Tyria. http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Lore  look here.

this does not justify at all the lack of the most important feature some players were expecting, without GVG this is not Guild Wars.

Actually, it is Guild Wars from the lore. It does justify the anme, maybe not in your estimation or ideals but GvG was just one small part of GW1. It is how the whole history and map of the world gets set up.

I do agree GvG is lacking but if you read the lore, the books, etc. Yoou understand why the game is called by this name.

I wouldn't say that GvG was one small part of GW1. When the game released that was one of its main selling points. It was the defining PvP of the game. And what did we get in GW2? A joke :D sPvP is a complete joke. WvWvW is not even a PvP, it's more like some sort of cross between PvE and PvP like AB in GW1 but it's not even remotely balanced, it's just a zergfest.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

there is a point, if you see from the WvW guilds there are tons of GvG event/youtubes in WvW with teams 20v20 ...

they shall do something about that or expand the sPvP with some maps for 25v25 : )

• KaerellaKaerella Member UncommonPosts: 27
    The ability to watch PvP/GvG like a TV channel, which GW1 did so well, seems to be a bit of a fizzle as a new GW2 option - and one that costs money to set up?  It's scandalous that guilds still don't have their guild halls, which ought to be one of the cornerstones of the game.  The main advantage GW2 has is the ability to sell stuff, though I wish the send-by-mail option was more reliable.