Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA Scores Multi-Game Publishing Rights to Star Wars Titles

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Originally posted by eyelolled
    from my perspective this is just fine

Actually, I concur!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Yeah. It's fucking over. Time to find a new hobby.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Star Wars has basically sucked since the late 90's.  The prequals were bad.  Most of the games just end up being 2nd tier versions for their genre.  The extended universe is horrid.  It's basically been hanging around on a mixture of nestalgia and denial.

So as much as I'd like to say EA or Disney will ruin the IP, I don't think they can really do much worse.  The bar is set so low right now that there's nothing to lose in trying.

You make me like charity

• InsaneDalekInsaneDalek Member Posts: 119

Meh, no big deal. I'll reserve judgment until I actually see what they're going to do. There's at least a little potential here. DICE doing SW Battlefront 3 could be awesome. Also, I think Visceral Games could do very well with a Dead Space style game featuring lightsaber combat...

Wait and see, I suppose.

It's a sad day indeed when a family is too afraid of reprisals to publicly thank somebody for saving their lives.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

Meh, no big deal. I'll reserve judgment until I actually see what they're going to do. There's at least a little potential here. DICE doing SW Battlefront 3 could be awesome. Also, I think Visceral Games could do very well with a Dead Space style game featuring lightsaber combat...

Wait and see, I suppose.

I could not say it better. All this prejudice without even knowing what's ahead of us is... illogical.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by JeroKane

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

I guess this marks the end of Star Wars for gamers at least. /sad

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

Not a bit melodramatic..At this point I dont want to touch an EA game after all the letdowns.  I do want to play a star wars game though.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Well Disney certainly isn't dicking around.

They shhut down LA and now a suit does a Google search, calls for the highest bidder for exclusive rights (who wants the pain in the ass of making video games?) sells to EA, but reserves the right to make social media games. (The Google search said that there was some traction in that market, Star Wars Angry Birds and all.)

Pppffft. Why did LA even exist, this video game bullshit is soooo easy for Disney suits.

As to the future of SWTOR, Disney apparently could care less. It's EA's exclusive headache now.

*EDIT* The corporate-speak wording is interesting; ""Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise."

Does that mean the new games go to DICE and Visceral, and Bioware can babysit SWTOR?

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by InsaneDalek

Wait and see, I suppose.

I could not say it better. All this prejudice without even knowing what's ahead of us is... illogical.

What is illogical is ignoring the past, especially the recent past.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Sounds like Disney realized that making a star wars game was not in thier best interest, considering how many failure games have been over the years.  So they said to heck with that and sold it off to the highest bidder.  LoL.   
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Sounds like Disney realized that making a star wars game was not in thier best interest, considering how many failure games have been over the years.  So they said to heck with that and sold it off to the highest bidder.  LoL.   

keep in mind they didn't sell anything. Disney still owns the rights, the IP, everything.

They licensed a multi year deal to make these games.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Slampig

I love the Pavlovian responses when EA is mentioned, "EA has a license for Star Wars games."

"EA?!?!...image"

Anytime someone mentions Pavlovian response I start to salivate. image  image

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I can almost hear the EA execs now:

"Ok start reskinning our money makers with Star Wars graphics! ATTACK OF THE CLONE$$$!!!!" ...  /weinthemoneydance

You stay sassy!

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275

Heads could row both at Dinsey and EA in the long run if EA should happen to turn out another bad game that damages the Dinsey / Star Wars name.

Would love to read the contract between them to see how Dinsey will protect themselves if the unthinkable should happen and EA should produce a poorly received Star Wars game .

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    I suppose this also means ALL PC games that are Star Wars are fated to be exclusively distributed on ORIGIN... wonderful.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

There is a chance to turn thier stuff around.

At this point, they have a lot of current experience on what no to do. They can only go up. 

If they try to maximize their priorities for thier customer first and include steam as an online platform, then that would be a good indication of change within the company.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Well yay? Maybe they can hire someone now to fix that POS launcher of theirs so more people can actually log into the game. 

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Well, so much for everyone hoping for a different Star Wars mmo any time soon.
  • DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by redcapp
    Well, so much for everyone hoping for a different Star Wars mmo any time soon.

Seriously :/ EA sand enough money into that beast, they won't be shutting it down for a long time. They're going to milk it for all its worth... and then some.

At LEAST this is slightly better than if Disney simply didn't focus on Star Wars video games at all... at least there's a chance of getting some quality games.

BATTLEFRONT III actually has a shot at happening now.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

So yeah , I even thought about what superniceguy said before I read it , might shut it down but if you think carefully about it  then  well it's making money and it would take 5 years at least to make an MMO then NOPE. Also was good too see Ignore Me trying to find a new hobby as well no more propaganda from me  ( i guessed it right or at least read into the guys quote ) . Tie fighter seems upset too. Really enjoyed reading sevenstar's posts "go for it girl!".

So all in all it seems like SWTOR with it's 2.3 boxes or digital initial sales nad the Freemium change over has been profitable , read that PROFITABLE. How do I  know ? Well O EA execs "Disney bought LUCAS OUT WTF!! They also shut LUCASARTS OMGBBQWAFFLES!!!!!! SO SWTOR is doing badly , so et's buy the gaming frnchise to make less money ha ha "

At least it will shut the SWG crowd down , err yeah right............

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• Pandaman102Pandaman102 Member Posts: 94

Shortened development cycles, shoehorned multiplayer modes, obtrusive yet ineffective DRM, terrible customer support, a history of good developers being run into the ground (Origin Systems, Bullfrog, Maxis, Westwood, just to name a few), and a precedent of shutting down active game services (their entire social game lineup).

Oh, Star Wars is in good hands indeed.

Though to be fair EA might make some great Star Wars racing and sports games, their FPS will essentially be a Battlefield reskin (your mileage may vary), and their RPGs... well, let's just not mention EA RPGs.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I guess that means Obsidian's new Star Wars RPG proposal will never happen :(.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Pandaman102Pandaman102 Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Distopia
    I guess that means Obsidian's new Star Wars RPG proposal will never happen :(.

I'm surprised Obsidian even wanted to touch Star Wars again after LucasArts pulled the rug out from under them and shaved three months off an already-rushed dev cycle for KotOR2.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Originally posted by MikeB
    Originally posted by JeroKane

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

I guess this marks the end of Star Wars for gamers at least. /sad

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

Not a bit melodramatic..At this point I dont want to touch an EA game after all the letdowns.  I do want to play a star wars game though.

same here

but after this announcement,, i guess it will take more than a decade, before we get one

and who knows, if im still alive by then,,a sad day indeed

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Originally posted by SBFord

Kotaku is reporting that EA has scored licensing privileges to publish and develop games based on the Star Wars intellectual property. According to Kotaku, both EA and BioWare will work on games based on the IP.

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels president Frank Gibeau in a statement. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Read the full report at the link above.

Strangly, I'm okay with this.

• jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187
    Ah well, I guess that's it for me and star wars then. They have consistently abused the liscense for money, but throwing it all to 'day-one download, forced online play so we can dangle microtransactions at you all the time but we'll say it's to prevent piracy cause we both know it isn't but what are ya gonna do, our customers have told us they want 70% complete products' EA just put the last nail in that coffin.