Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: EA Scores Multi-Game Publishing Rights to Star Wars Titles

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Kotaku is reporting that EA has scored licensing privileges to publish and develop games based on the Star Wars intellectual property. According to Kotaku, both EA and BioWare will work on games based on the IP.

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels president Frank Gibeau in a statement. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Read the full report at the link above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    from my perspective this is just fine

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

I guess this marks the end of Star Wars for gamers at least. /sad

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by JeroKane

WHAHAHA! I just don't know if I can't stop laughing........... or crying really.

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by Ragz45

Worst news of the decade.  Such a sad day for Star Wars and MMO players all together.

Honestly this news deserves a headline all of it's own.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by MikeB

Bit melodramatic, I think. Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Personally, I'd love to see Battlefront 3 finally get made as a Frostbite-powered game. As for future Star Wars MMOs, I'm not going to touch that one (today ;)).

Still play Star Wars Rebellion and love X-wing vs TIE fighter series, but that's about it as SW games are concerned for me...all that came after it incl swg were major letdowns.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Like someone in the Joystiq thread said: "What was UBISOFT too busy?"

But, you're probably right. EA has the monies and the peeps to churn out games.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Goodbye starwar games image

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 275

As much as I love the Star Wars IP, I think this is the worst thing Dinsey could of done in giving EA to make games for the IP.

Based on past history that EA has in making games and SWTOR, I do not think that I will be buying any Star Wars games they make over the next few years.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I love the Pavlovian responses when EA is mentioned, "EA has a license for Star Wars games."

"EA?!?!...image"

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Muke

Still play Star Wars Rebellion and love X-wing vs TIE fighter series, but that's about it as SW games are concerned for me...all that came after it incl swg were major letdowns.

Jeez! Rebellion, eh? Pretty old school. Try Empire at War. It's actually a pretty decent SW RTS. :)

Disney should have given EA the liscence to make any single player games, as I think this is the only area that EA shines at.  But they should not allow EA to make any MMORPG's, EA has failed so badly at this so many times, it's just painful to think about another round with it.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Jeez! Rebellion, eh? Pretty old school. Try Empire at War. It's actually a pretty decent SW RTS. :)

I checked it out, but nowhere in the shops anymore, and many shady links ^^ were riddled with viruses, totally missed out on that game, didn't know it even existed.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Crap! I forgot about Empire at War. I picked up a bundle that contained that game and haven't even tried it out yet.

*ponders free time

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of angry nerds suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

Oh, come on, someone had to do it...

But, really, is anyone surprised by this?

• Jerek_Jerek_ Member Posts: 409

They could have begged Blizzard to do it.  Anyone else they gave it to Ea would have just bought and put Bioware- in front of their name.

I checked it out, but nowhere in the shops anymore, and many shady links ^^ were riddled with viruses, totally missed out on that game, didn't know it even existed.

Grab it on Steam at the link above.  I think you may have just missed a sale, though. :(

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Who else could you have realistically seen this license going to?

Activision

They have done some Star Wars games already

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Do you realy think you will enjoy a EA : Battlefront 3 game whit a assortment of dlcs for long before the cow starts to scream coz its milked to mutch?

BUY!!!!!!

Red 5's Tatooine pack!

Buy the new weapon pack! and own the field whit your own red 5 red saber!  incl the awesome Map that lets you fight in jabba's palace

Can you pwn the Slug!?

For me its just a other game to ignore / boycot

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Just be glad it wasn't Activision.
  • mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135
    Well... the empire strikes back ...

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by mari3k
    Well... the eAmpire strikes back ...

/fixed

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by Eladi

Do you realy think you will enjoy a EA : Battlefront 3 game whit a assortment of dlcs for long before the cow starts to scream coz its milked to mutch?

BUY!!!!!!

Red 5's Tatooine pack!

Buy the new weapon pack! and own the field whit your own red 5 red saber!  incl the awesome Map that lets you fight in jabba's palace

Can you pwn the Slug!?

For me its just a other game to ignore / boycot

Do you not realize every developer with the cash to pay for the SW license is moving towards DLC and cash shops in their games? Do you think Activision under Bobby Kotik would have been better with the yearly releases for watered down same old games with a new number on the end, or Ubisoft with their DRM?

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Considering how awesome Battlefield 3 is....

If they made Battlefront 3 with the new engine, the game would just be unreal and amazing.

I'm hoping for a new Xwing vs Tie. That'd be awesome.

Originally posted by Swanea

Considering how awesome Battlefield 3 is....

If they made Battlefront 3 with the new engine, the game would just be unreal and amazing.

I'm hoping for a new Xwing vs Tie. That'd be awesome.

I think i just cried a little.

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

I doubt this will affect the PC crowd very much, much less anything in the MMO space.

EA is much more likely to start churning out console games to go along with their regularly scheduled FPS and sports franchises. 

(At least those make money)

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community