Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile really?

filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
I see this game come up a lot on the LFGame forums and just don't see how anyone plays it.  You never would have figured that in today's gaming industry that a Diablo II clone would have any type of success.  I admit that it was the best online game of its day, but that was all made possible by the fact that Everquest cost money to play.  Is it just me but when i tried Path of Exile it made me want to vomit at the thought of Diablo II repeat with mindless slaughter of hordes of monsters.  So what does this game give the players that Diablo did not and is it actually worth it when we got so many other games to play?
Are you onto something or just on something?

Comments

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    The game wouldn't even be on anybody's radar if it wasn't for the D3 fiasco. People needed a game to run crying to.
  • cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135
    Mindless slaughter of monsters is pretty much any MMORPG game these days... so you could say whats the point in playing any of them .
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I tried the game but never loved the combat.   After you finish ACT III it dumps you off at the beginning and you do it all over again.  I logged out after that and never went back.  For a game so long in development I expected more content.  As for the mindless slaugher of monsters, I cant really knock the game in that regard.  That is what these type of games are all about.  If you dont like this type of gameplay then try something else.  There seems to be many people who are content to just hack and slash at monsters. 
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    This is like saying why would anyone play AoC, Rift, SWTOR, ect ect as they all are just WoW clones and yet they are successful (success meaning it's still got servers going and development going on).  PoE is a different taste of a certain genre.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by cribett
    Mindless slaughter of monsters is pretty much any MMORPG game these days... so you could say whats the point in playing any of them .

I agree.

The PvE combat in PoE is much better than most, if not all MMO's I have played.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

An RPG with fun combat and monster-killing?

It'll never work.

(Altough admittedly I haven't tried it yet, it's mostly because I figure it'll be another Torchlight 2 where the actual combat isn't as deep as Diablo 3 (especially due to the abundance of character customization.)   Diablo 3's failures were mostly AH-related, being able to short-circuit gear upgrades with no Bind on Pickup system, and also failing to land you in a repeatable endgame where the challenges ramped up gradually along with the rewards.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    See to me these types of games are for playing on a laptop when youre on a business trip or whatever.

Which is why I like Torchlight 2. No need to be on the internet.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yeah really.

Killing hordes of mobs is popular. Where have the OP been?

D3 has more success than most MMORPGs (when is the last one selling 12M boxes, except WOW?).

TL & TL2 is a success. There is plenty of market for Diablo type ARPGs.

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

It's the essence of the ARPG. Who really complains about running around killing monsters nonstop?

Also, the economy/crafting is unique, and the ways of customizing your character are very well done.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    I can't get over the controls. I know that's how these types of game's work but I don't like it. I much prefer traditional MMO controls (3rd person PoV with the camera behind me, WASD movement, tab target or manual aiming, hotkeying abilities, etc). Other than that I don't see anything wrong with this game.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Was that last part a rhetorical question?  Sounds like you have your mind made up already.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    See to me these types of games are for playing on a laptop when youre on a business trip or whatever.

Which is why I like Torchlight 2. No need to be on the internet.

you don't get internet on your business trips? What kind of businses trip is that? Even my phone has that.

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Don't forget this also cost's you nothing and has a decent cash shop model.
    Originally posted by Karahandras

I wonder if they are making enough money to keep the game alive.

• ArtaiosArtaios Member UncommonPosts: 550

the strange no gold economy of this game killed it for me

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I think op is trying to ask why anyone plays diablo style Arpgs anymore, when even the most basic mmo has more depth. PoE definitely looks to be the best of the genre...but that isn't saying much.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

The problem I have with path of exile is how very very slow the levelling gets near the end and just how very nasty the death penalty gets.  I do not like the idea of playing a game for a full week or longer with the hopes of gaining a level. 

People always say how slow the levelling was in Everquest, but really it was never as bad as most FTP grind games of the current day.  I mean the worst I think EQ ever got was 2 blue in an hour and that was 8% of a level per hour.  Things were even easier back before expansions.  I used to want to get out of the long levels(35,40,45) and I would usually manage to grind them out in a single day. 

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Karahandras

I wonder if they are making enough money to keep the game alive.

I hope so.  Not that I'm really a fan of poe, but it would be good to see some mmo's use their model rather than what's usually available(if it's at all succesfull).

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by centkin

The problem I have with path of exile is how very very slow the levelling gets near the end and just how very nasty the death penalty gets.  I do not like the idea of playing a game for a full week or longer with the hopes of gaining a level. 

People always say how slow the levelling was in Everquest, but really it was never as bad as most FTP grind games of the current day.  I mean the worst I think EQ ever got was 2 blue in an hour and that was 8% of a level per hour.  Things were even easier back before expansions.  I used to want to get out of the long levels(35,40,45) and I would usually manage to grind them out in a single day. 

I find it hard to believe you even played EQ in the early 2000's.  I would solo a mob that was even con and the blue line wouldn't move.  Soloing the mob would also take a very long time so good luck killing much in an hour.  I'm guessing you never soloed in EQ.

POE slow leveling is the least of it's worries.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by StonesDK
    The game wouldn't even be on anybody's radar if it wasn't for the D3 fiasco. People needed a game to run crying to.

I hardly love the game like some do, but this is not true honestly.  This game was generating interest long before D3 was released.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    I downloaded it then tried playing it for about 15 seconds.  Suddenly I got a flashback to Diablo 2 and started sweating.  Immediately I picked up my computer and threw it out the window.  Now I am free again.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by redcapp

I hardly love the game like some do, but this is not true honestly.  This game was generating interest long before D3 was released.

Nowhere near the interest it would have gotten otherwise. Had D3 not been such a fail, then that's what everybody would be playing. Almost every D3 whine thread contained somebody saying "I'm playing PoE instead" hell some of those threads were major advertisements for PoE

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Nowhere near the interest it would have gotten otherwise. Had D3 not been such a fail, then that's what everybody would be playing. Almost every D3 whine thread contained somebody saying "I'm playing PoE instead" hell some of those threads were major advertisements for PoE

Many of the current POE players enjoyed D3 at release.   It was the constant nerfing of the difficulty that killed D3.

• eyeqdkeyeqdk Member UncommonPosts: 37

I played D2 ALOT... and sorry. I just cant se where PoE is "like" D2... 

If you are talking about hack and slahs ARPG, then yes.. they do look alike... but then there is ALOT of games like that.. torchlight... Titan quest... and so on. 

Pleas tell me, where this game is like D2... 

Saying PoE is like D2... is saying that DOOM 1 from the 90s is like BF4 from 2013... both are fps, so they are the same?