Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No immersion... But...

2»

Comments

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by AvsRock21
    Is it just me, or are all of the areas in the game extremely linear and tunnel-like? I haven't played this game yet, but I've watched some streams, and it seems every zone is a long tunnel. I haven't seen any real open zones. Are there any?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AKgPKd9alA

but nothing much like gw2 as far as open zones you can just wander around for hours..

Hmm, ya that zone is one of the biggest I've seen in Neverwinter. I'm trying to figure out which game to play on the side. I'm considering GW2 (I own it, no high lvl chars, haven't played since release) or Neverwinter. I mainly enjoy PvP. 

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    Game is about dungeons not open zones so there isn't really much open areas.

Source?

Fans say this to defend their game.  Exploration is a MAJOR part of D&D just as much as dungeons.  Which dungeon delves they missed the mark on too as they are too short zerg fest.  I wouldn't call em dungeon delves at all.  Some Persistent Worlds had some real dungeon delves where one had to go through multiple levels of dungeons... now THAT is a dungeon delve not there quick 20-40 min dungeon quickies.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Is it just me, or are all of the areas in the game extremely linear and tunnel-like? I haven't played this game yet, but I've watched some streams, and it seems every zone is a long tunnel. I haven't seen any real open zones. Are there any?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AKgPKd9alA

but nothing much like gw2 as far as open zones you can just wander around for hours..

Hmm, ya that zone is one of the biggest I've seen in Neverwinter. I'm trying to figure out which game to play on the side. I'm considering GW2 (I own it, no high lvl chars, haven't played since release) or Neverwinter. I mainly enjoy PvP. 

If PvP is your thing then most definately GW2.  Neverwinter can be fun but it certainly lacks the complexity that GW2 will have.  Not to mention they will keept classes more balanced, unlike in Neverwitner then you have non-stop QQing when they need to adjust classes for balance.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    i dont get this "the combats fun except that it roots me"  everyone goes on about, im a great weapon fighter/cwizard/rogue and ive never been rooted, i can move anywhere i want, and then attack, and move again, my attacks dont force me to not move, i can still get out of the way of a nasty incoming hit, it just stops any attack that doesnt go off instantly (like the giant cwizard daily or continuous magic missile toss).  you arent rooted, you just cant ranged kite with running casting, no game allows this because meelee would never be able to close on you and present a danger.
  • DaggerjaydoDaggerjaydo Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Originally posted by furbans
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

They really nailed the combat. I must say better than GW2. Even than Tera.

Rest of the game is crap.

But its D&D , Forgotten Realms and yes Foundry

Could it be that Cryptic did it , on the third try ?

For me the combat was a major turnoff.  Sure it might be fun for a generic themepark MMO on rails but it deviated so far from what is should have been for an accurate potrayal of D&D it was ridiculous.  DDO tried their best to stay as close to what the abilities are in the rulebooks and did a decent job (course the new enhancements maybe not so much anymore) while Cryptic just slapped some names on MMOified abilities.

Have you read a 4e rule book or are you still on 3.5?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by neorandom
    i dont get this "the combats fun except that it roots me"  everyone goes on about, im a great weapon fighter/cwizard/rogue and ive never been rooted, i can move anywhere i want, and then attack, and move again, my attacks dont force me to not move, i can still get out of the way of a nasty incoming hit, it just stops any attack that doesnt go off instantly (like the giant cwizard daily or continuous magic missile toss).  you arent rooted, you just cant ranged kite with running casting, no game allows this because meelee would never be able to close on you and present a danger.

many games allow this.. i'd try playing a few more games:) gw2 for example allows almost all abilites but a select few to be used on the run.. if i remember vanguard as well allows movement while you are channeling or casting.. many others do as well.. It's not really that hard you basically just need to give melee gap closers, some ranged attacks and ways to catch up to or stop ranged and games like gw2 do this just fine.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

many games allow this.. i'd try playing a few more games:) gw2 for example allows almost all abilites but a select few to be used on the run.. if i remember vanguard as well allows movement while you are channeling or casting.. many others do as well.. It's not really that hard you basically just need to give melee gap closers, some ranged attacks and ways to catch up to or stop ranged and games like gw2 do this just fine.

Vanguard reduces movement speedwith 50% while casting..

pand in GW2 some chanelled spells require you to stand in place, or they fail...

But free movement while casting/playing an actionbased mmo, is almost a requirement and one of the weak parts of the games combat, when it comes to immersion

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I like GW2, and still play it, but the combat feels very floaty and lacks any real consequence for using skills at the wrong time. As long as you kept circle strafing and double tapping at the right time you can do whatever you want. Had the same issue with TSW.

Neverwinter makes it more tactical. You are choosing to open yourself up to counter attack by stopping to attack. It means you have to pay more attention to your surroundings.

Also with GW2, they didnt have healers or control in the same sense as Neverwinter. A cleric or wizard with spells on the move? No thanks. It would just be cheap and boring.

Also constantly running around in circles just looks rediculous. Again I could overlook this with GW2 because it is a solid game, but not so much with TSW. Neverwinter animations look far better as a result, and lead to more interesting combat.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Vanguard reduces movement speedwith 50% while casting..

pand in GW2 some chanelled spells require you to stand in place, or they fail...

But free movement while casting/playing an actionbased mmo, is almost a requirement and one of the weak parts of the games combat, when it comes to immersion

Which lead to really cheap AE farming on Wizards and Psionicists. Not ideal.