Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

some questions

mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

hi

i took a look at their website and forums and got some questions. i am looking for a new game to waste my time at because there isnt anything out which keeps me interested in. (maybe age of wulin or archeage or black desert when they come out)

i dont know darkfall 1 so i am a totally noob here.

i can play very unfrequently, so its more a login, play a bit, logout. i cant be very active in a clan, but i dont like playing alone all the time. i prefer finding a player and playing around with him, and not just killing everyone on sight. but i like PvP but not mindlessy.

would this game be for me?

is there grouping or some kind of friendly fire?

is there real aim, i mean, ballistics or some kind of soft aim?

is there a way to change the scrolling wheel in a button pressing type? i prefer the press 1 for this press 2 for that style, because i am not that twitchy and very used to the common mmorpg style.

when i read it right, there are 2 different "skillsets" for every class, just differing in the ultimate skill, but you always have 8 skills + 1 ultimate skill and you can always use them all by using this wheel. my first thought was, that the character development might be a bit boring because of that. it seems all about your skill, some minor differences in attributes and the weapon you use. thats not bad at all, but i would have similar experience playing BF3 where its also about skills. Am i right here?

are there magic items or is everything handcrafted? do you find some kind of rare recipes? can you get "rich" by crafting and trading, and can you spend your money on something?

what is the overall progress? is it just the fun playing or are there any goals like getting best gear or getting a high rank in anything?

i would really like to try this one, but i am not sure yet. i like games like BF3 and i like sandbox games. but i also like a progress and having some kind of goal to reach.

Comments

• HairysunHairysun Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by mistmaker

hi

i took a look at their website and forums and got some questions. i am looking for a new game to waste my time at because there isnt anything out which keeps me interested in. (maybe age of wulin or archeage or black desert when they come out)

i dont know darkfall 1 so i am a totally noob here.

i can play very unfrequently, so its more a login, play a bit, logout. i cant be very active in a clan, but i dont like playing alone all the time. i prefer finding a player and playing around with him, and not just killing everyone on sight. but i like PvP but not mindlessy.

would this game be for me?

is there grouping or some kind of friendly fire?

There is grouping, pretty standard mechanic like other games where your party members show up on your screen.  Additionally, friendly fire is a big part of the game.  Say If your aiming your bow and someone steps in front of your shot as you release, they take the damage of your shot.  Same with AOE effects, everyone in the area receives the effect.  Same with melee swings.

is there real aim, i mean, ballistics or some kind of soft aim?

Yes, you have to aim your shots.  Physics apply to arrows as in aim high for a target in the distance.  There is nothing like TAB target.  Think FPS

is there a way to change the scrolling wheel in a button pressing type? i prefer the press 1 for this press 2 for that style, because i am not that twitchy and very used to the common mmorpg style.

Outside of  "w,a,s,d" and space for jump DFUW user interface will be like something you have never used.  At least it was for me.  Be ready for that.  It functions pretty well once you get used to it however.

when i read it right, there are 2 different "skillsets" for every class, just differing in the ultimate skill, but you always have 8 skills + 1 ultimate skill and you can always use them all by using this wheel. my first thought was, that the character development might be a bit boring because of that. it seems all about your skill, some minor differences in attributes and the weapon you use. thats not bad at all, but i would have similar experience playing BF3 where its also about skills. Am i right here?

Pretty close, you have some common skills as well.  I think that is what Aventurine was trying to achieve with this system.  Specific classes as opposed to the old "Jack of All" system.

are there magic items or is everything handcrafted? do you find some kind of rare recipes? can you get "rich" by crafting and trading, and can you spend your money on something?

Not really any magic items that make you better that I know of.  Most if not all complete items in DFUW are crafted from harvested resources.  Either flora and fauna harvesting or mob drop type resources.  Yep, you can certainly get rich in game from crafting and trading if that's your thing.  I suppose you could spend your money on a house deed or high end weapons/armor.  

what is the overall progress? is it just the fun playing or are there any goals like getting best gear or getting a high rank in anything?

In DFUW you do what you want to do.  They have the "Prowess" system which just keeps track of repetition.  Basically, there are predetermined goals in place.  Think kill 150 rats or harvest 300 cotton.  The higher up you go the greater the prowess reward.  Prowess is spent on developing your character.  Litterally any way you want.  With this system you can level up your archery and never pick up a bow.

i would really like to try this one, but i am not sure yet. i like games like BF3 and i like sandbox games. but i also like a progress and having some kind of goal to reach.

I try to encourage people to try DFUW simply because it is so different from your typical Themepark MMO.  It seems to be a love/hate thing.  That is something you would have to decide for yourself.  I am sure in time they will come out with a free trial.

~Hairysun

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321

thx!

yeah a free trial would be cool. 3 days would be enough.

game sounds interesting. but i am not sure if i should keep playing shooters for skillbased games. i certainly see the differences, open world and so on, but on the other hand, an open world bf3 would also be cool :-) 

i could search for it but going to work now, what is the box or download price?

another important one: i read that you activate skills with the left and right mouse button. i am usally turning with the right mouse button, can you change that?

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

If you want an open world BF3 then take a look at Planetside 2.

I'm more into fantasy type MMO's but PS2 is pretty fun. It's free, and free to play, but that's not a good thing. You can kill people right out of the box though, so it's a good way to try out the game.

DFUW has a lot going for it if you do like aiming. The best part of the game is the ranged combat.

Asdar

does ps2 got a persistant world?

plz answer the question about right mouse button turning. 

• asdarasdar Member UncommonPosts: 662

Yes on the persistent world thing for PS2, it's in the game list so you can check it out. I haven't tried on your other question yet.

PS2 is persistent and huge, overwhelming really. Very hard learning curve, one of those games where you want to join a guild right away.

Asdar

• darkluchsdarkluchs Member UncommonPosts: 8

You canot remap your right mousebottum without using ahk-script or something. You don't need it for turning your camera thought, it's made that way that you have to turn your character if you want to look somewhere.

I don't think there will be a trial soon, so you should watch some videos, but make sure they are recent ones, because the game changed quite significantly at the end of the beta.

• gchris7gchris7 Member Posts: 73

Originally posted by mistmaker
    does ps2 got a persistant world?   plz answer the question about right mouse button turning. 

There is no holding down right click to look around in darkfall. The movement and aiming is like any fps game.

Think of something like Battlefield. Now in order to do actions that require mouse (ex. banking your loot)  you need to press ESC(or any keybind u like) to go to GUI mode which gives you the ability to use the mouse.

PS. You can rebind right mouse click and any other key you want to what ever you like ofcourse

thx