Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No immersion... But...

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Long time i have been hoping this would be the game to bring back the roleplying into my mmorpgs again. The lore, characters and stories of the vastest fantasy realm available should be able to do so. But despite some really nice stories and lots of lore.. And seeing some of the best foundry quests, i just cant get attached to my charcter.  Why?  Probably because a mix of things, like not being able to choose the camera position i love ( just behind the shoulder), and voice acting is very dissapointing, combined with the graphics style thats nice but unaspiring. On top of that the characters dont need to make any meaningfull choices. The game feels like the ultimate themepark..

But, ... ,  its fun. Its arcade, the combat feels fresh and crispy, even with all abillities rooting me in place, there are some bloody awesome foundry missions, and those things will only be getting better as time lows by.  Where i was hoping for depth, i found a lovely arcade style hack and slash dungeon crawler. And its fun, and even challenging.

there are some great stories in the oundry, but sadly i have been spoiled by swtor voice acting, and the oldfashioned textwindows have lost most of their charm for story telling. Sadly the awesome player made story content failec to charm me, however the combat and scenery where fun enough to make me want more..

So what about PvP?   Its simple, if they can add an orriginal PvP game , like a 3d version of L.o.L.  Where a party can choose their own patrolls and such, or something with several of their companions involved, if hey can add somethingorriginal and fun, they might even become a new cult game..

there is a lot of work to be done, but by the end of this year the game might have a true cult of  followerz.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

So what about PvP?   Its simple, if they can add an orriginal PvP game , like a 3d version of L.o.L.  Where a party can choose their own patrolls and such, or something with several of their companions involved, if hey can add somethingorriginal and fun, they might even become a new cult game..

There's a lot of talk about a PvP foundry in the works. I'm not sure if it's just a rumor..

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Vannor

There's a lot of talk about a PvP foundry in the works. I'm not sure if it's just a rumor..

i remember couple dev interviews them talking about it.. no ETA though

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Game is fun....immersion is what you make it =)
  • HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Originally posted by Grinnz

Game is fun, albneit easy and needs to scale for part members badly. Immersion could also be enhanced by the game being designed more for immersion and not simply your imagination. I like what one guy said and it's the right way to look at things. "I came in for a deep adventure, but found a fun arcade game", to me that is calling it accurately and instead of getting his ball and running home crying, he adjusted expecations. If we leave expectations go and let the game talk for itself good and bad, I think we'll be better off.

Originally posted by HorrorScope

Game is fun, albneit easy and needs to scale for part members badly. Immersion could also be enhanced by the game being designed more for immersion and not simply your imagination. I like what one guy said and it's the right way to look at things. "I came in for a deep adventure, but found a fun arcade game", to me that is calling it accurately and instead of getting his ball and running home crying, he adjusted expecations. If we leave expectations go and let the game talk for itself good and bad, I think we'll be better off.

have you got very far? because later game i wouldn't say is "easy" at all

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I disagree... as a potion addict, just the fact that there is a low CD on the potions removes much of the challenge...  making hard content quite easy to acheive

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I disagree... as a potion addict, just the fact that there is a low CD on the potions removes much of the challenge...  making hard content quite easy to acheive

Not when at level 50 your potions barely do 5-10% of your health. And enemies can easily kill you in 10 seconds if you arent in control of the fight.

You can buy full heal healthstones from the store, but then you are choosing to play easymode.

So yeah, like Aerowyn has said, you probably havent gotten past level 30 yet.

• RiseldardRiseldard Member Posts: 4

The game is actually based on new rules for D&D and it's built as an action game. Plus it's based on the more well-known Forgotten Realms as opposed to the Eberron setting and is being designed as a free-to-play game from the ground up. I like DDO, but I can see some people switching over to NW because it has more engaging combat. Of course, they are both free, so no one really has to choose one over the other. 

I've enjoyed what I've played so far and am looking forward to diving into the beta over the coming weeks. The MMO space needs some diversity in what's available, and while NW doesn't stray too far from the familiar questing formula, it does offer entertaining combat, and having fun -- if still familiar -- gameplay is sometimes all it takes to make a good game.

Originally posted by evilastro

Not when at level 50 your potions barely do 5-10% of your health. And enemies can easily kill you in 10 seconds if you arent in control of the fight.

You can buy full heal healthstones from the store, but then you are choosing to play easymode.

So yeah, like Aerowyn has said, you probably havent gotten past level 30 yet.

^ potions become less and less effective higher level you get unless you want to blow a ton of money and buy those store ones like evilastro said.. plenty of challenge at higher levels.. not even going to start on the hard mode dungeons.. not sure how much they tweaked them since CB but those were tough.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538

Try running Cragsteep Crypt solo

Originally posted by strangiato2112

haha yea even with spamming potions every 10 seconds I still died numerous times.. especially once you get towards the end

haha yea even with spamming potions every 10 seconds I still died numerous times.. especially once you get towards the end

What level did you do this as?  I never even made it into the Crypt at 20.  

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,960

They really nailed the combat. I must say better than GW2. Even than Tera.

Rest of the game is crap.

But its D&D , Forgotten Realms and yes Foundry

Could it be that Cryptic did it , on the third try ?

What level did you do this as?  I never even made it into the Crypt at 20.  

was able to finish it at level 16 with my rogue and my cleric companion.. not sure if you have the founders pack but the starter dagger it gives you is pretty strong its basically the same stats as level 20 dagger but you can use it right away so it was a big help.. was very very hard though.. 

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    Did you guys ever play Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance on the playstation/Xbox? This game really reminds me of a 3-D version with more people running around and some mmo staples like an Auction  House and a persistant world. After I got over my initial disapointment that it wasn't the second coming 10 seconds into my first beta weekend I started thinking about Dark Alliance 1 and 2 and how much fun I had playing them. Man I rinced those games again and again and something about Neverwinter really reminds me of playing them. So I am not treating this game like my main mmo I am playing it for what it is, which is a fun Dungeons and Dragons style arcade leave your brain at the door good clean fun time. Seriouly after a pvp domination match when my control wizard has been running around making rogues feel stupid I am grinning like an idiot and no game has pulled that off for me since my early days of WoW and EVE. Really enjoying it now and can see me having it installed for a long time and even spending some rl cash on it. Don't judge it so harshly guys, it never claimed it was going to be D&D 2.0 or super sandbox funtime. My advice is just leave your brain and expectations at the loading screan and  have some fun, that's what games are for after all isn't it?
  • HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599

I ran that last night as a duo at level 20. Freaking epic! Yeah that was actually above our heads but we got through it, but we died so many times, I'll have to access the damage when I go in today. It was a looooong quest. I was very happy to see this as I wasn't sure if the Foundry could scale difficulty like that. It really is a 4-5 man quest, right when you think you are done, another section, another wave. At one point I just assumed it would never end, drained all pots etc, not sure if that is a good thing now when going back to other quests with a depleted tank. Had so much loot left behind, it said I could leave and return, but I didn't want to risk it once I got past the 8 boss area... which I felt was the end, but in hind sight was half way.

Yep that was by far the best quest I've played in the game and gives me great hope for the foundry.

As for difficulty in general, I made it to mid 30's in one of the beta's, it did spike up some, but I've heard from many the main game gets harder, that is good. I still prefer proper gameplay for say level 5 and beyond, stop with the "My First Game" shennanigans games deploy.

Back to the Foundry, it's amazing seeing this work, people are able to make some amazing landscapes. You would  think it would be more cookie cutter, but it isn't. To compare it to NWN 1 and 2.... there is no way on God's Green that people could be putting out content like this in those games to this level of quality so fast. This is a rapid development tool with some wide boundaries. Definately made me take notice after doing several yesterday.

I ran that last night as a duo at level 20. Freaking epic! Yeah that was actually above our heads but we got through it, but we died so many times, I'll have to access the damage when I go in today. It was a looooong quest. I was very happy to see this as I wasn't sure if the Foundry could scale difficulty like that. It really is a 4-5 man quest, right when you think you are done, another section, another wave. At one point I just assumed it would never end, drained all pots etc, not sure if that is a good thing now when going back to other quests with a depleted tank. Had so much loot left behind, it said I could leave and return, but I didn't want to risk it once I got past the 8 boss area... which I felt was the end, but in hind sight was half way.

Yep that was by far the best quest I've played in the game and gives me great hope for the foundry.

As for difficulty in general, I made it to mid 30's in one of the beta's, it did spike up some, but I've heard from many the main game gets harder, that is good. I still prefer proper gameplay for say level 5 and beyond, stop with the "My First Game" shennanigans games deploy.

Back to the Foundry, it's amazing seeing this work, people are able to make some amazing landscapes. You would  think it would be more cookie cutter, but it isn't. To compare it to NWN 1 and 2.... there is no way on God's Green that people could be putting out content like this in those games to this level of quality so fast. This is a rapid development tool with some wide boundaries. Definately made me take notice after doing several yesterday.

yea I really enjoy cragsteep(although couple encounters were a bit to many waves) way more tense and challenging/fun than the clock tower 

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,256
    Do players get compensated for their work on the Foundry? Are their names displayed for fame and do we have an entrance or starting fee? I actually would think a couple copper or silver to run an instance would be beneficial to the creators. Although maybe money isnt very useful from what I read.
    Originally posted by angerbeaver
    Do players get compensated for their work on the Foundry? Are their names displayed for fame and do we have an entrance or starting fee? I actually would think a couple copper or silver to run an instance would be beneficial to the creators. Although maybe money isnt very useful from what I read.

yes the authors name is display when you select a foundry quest.. also when you finish a quest there is an option to tip the author for his work.. oh also no entry or starting fee of any kind.. there's also a rating system where you rate the dungeon after finishing it as well as being able to write comments. So you also get the pride from getting high marks and good reviews from players

Originally posted by angerbeaver

yes the authors name is display when you select a foundry quest.. also when you finish a quest there is an option to tip the author for his work.. oh also no entry or starting fee of any kind.. there's also a rating system where you rate the dungeon after finishing it as well as being able to write comments. So you also get the pride from getting high marks and good reviews from players

Im betting the good dungeon makers get a decent amount of diamonds.

Especially once the longer series start running.

A Hidden Blade is supposed to have 7 parts to it, once hes done with all 7 those 50 diamond tips will add up...37,000 have run the first part and the second part is up over 5,000 (the first one is a featured foundry so it gets special attention)

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

They really nailed the combat. I must say better than GW2. Even than Tera.

Rest of the game is crap.

But its D&D , Forgotten Realms and yes Foundry

Could it be that Cryptic did it , on the third try ?

For me the combat was a major turnoff.  Sure it might be fun for a generic themepark MMO on rails but it deviated so far from what is should have been for an accurate potrayal of D&D it was ridiculous.  DDO tried their best to stay as close to what the abilities are in the rulebooks and did a decent job (course the new enhancements maybe not so much anymore) while Cryptic just slapped some names on MMOified abilities.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Is it just me, or are all of the areas in the game extremely linear and tunnel-like? I haven't played this game yet, but I've watched some streams, and it seems every zone is a long tunnel. I haven't seen any real open zones. Are there any?
    Originally posted by AvsRock21
    Is it just me, or are all of the areas in the game extremely linear and tunnel-like? I haven't played this game yet, but I've watched some streams, and it seems every zone is a long tunnel. I haven't seen any real open zones. Are there any?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AKgPKd9alA

but nothing much like gw2 as far as open zones you can just wander around for hours..

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by AvsRock21

Just like a DnD module?

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    Game is about dungeons not open zones so there isn't really much open areas.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.