Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirated copies of Dev Tycoon cause players to go bankrupt because of pirating.

13»

Comments

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

An indie team developed a Game Developer Tycoon like game, making sure the inevitable cracked version online would have a few extra codes in it so that those who pirated the game will eventually go bankrupt in due to -- you guessed it -- pirating.

Proper pirates don't steal from struggling indie companies, those that do are just stingy thieves with no sense of morality.

That  being said, this has to be the first game that actually has content for video game thieves, I find that interesting and the concept could even be explored further.

At any rate, GJ to these guys, they made history and found a clever way to advertize their game without spending a dime.

• PieRadPieRad Member Posts: 1,108
    Originally posted by Pie_Rat

An indie team developed a Game Developer Tycoon like game, making sure the inevitable cracked version online would have a few extra codes in it so that those who pirated the game will eventually go bankrupt in due to -- you guessed it -- pirating.

Proper pirates don't steal from struggling indie companies, those that do are just stingy thieves with no sense of morality.

That  being said, this has to be the first game that actually has content for video game thieves, I find that interesting and the concept could even be explored further.

At any rate, GJ to these guys, they made history and found a clever way to advertize their game without spending a dime.

It's been done before.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

No reasoning with thiefs!

I've been buying my games since the 80's and so forth, yes I have purchased  , recieved bad games but I will always continue to buy games, why? Because it is a past time that I enjoy and I also like to support the devs. We know people like Ichmen, they do not know what is right and wrong, thats clear by his response in justifying his attitude, and its people like him that cause people to loose their jobs in the first place.

If a company has said game to sell, and they have a quota to meet, and say that 90% of their game is pirated ( Stolen ) well they have to recomp some of their cost and doing so they have to let go some of their staff, so yes , stealing hurts everyone, why do you think most corporations have security forces in place?They want to make sure that their property is safe hence why we now have the DRM, because of stuff like this.

Thiefs hurt everyone and that includes people like us who actualy buy the product in the first place, just more scum of the earth and people like that need to be black listed through all the service providers, since they can't behave themselves.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by PieRad

It's been done before.

Ok scrap the "made history" part then.

Which game(s) were you thinking of?

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Ok scrap the "made history" part then.

Which game(s) were you thinking of?

Serious Sam 3 had the giant, invulnerable scorpion that chased and attacked the player non stop if it was the pirated version.

While not content per say, the original Operation Flashpoint introduced a single new bug into the game every time the game launched if it detected it was a pirated version, so slowly the game would become unplayable.

And iirc, pirated versions of the original Earthbound had a screen warning that piracy was a crime that the legitimate game did not have, and then proceeded to make the game significantly harder than it actually is; up until the last fight, where it's guaranteed to freeze so the game is uncompletable.

But that's all off the top of my head. I'm positive there's many more, but this one is quickly one of my favorites, heh heh.