Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would encourage you to start playing EVE?

Comments

• ululaulula Member UncommonPosts: 33

What would encourage you to start playing EVE?

i dont know ... may be a virtual reality dogfighting game on Oculus Rif  like that

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Bookah

I fit the bill of someone they would want to target, i play sub MMO's and love sc-fi/space sim.

I have tryed EVE a couple times and its a bit of daunting game to get started in, coming from themeparks.

I am allways realy impressed with the visuals and obvious depth of the game but feel a little lost.

I propse a series of videos that do a little hand holding for players who came up playing themepark  MMO's maybe just give them a road map of possible progression's and make these video accesssable in game.

This would help me in my next crack @# EVE online

There are quite a few videos like this to be found on youtube, but an index of some kind would be pretty useful, I agree.

But really, the best way? Start a trial, do the tutorials, get involved. Don't worry about losing pixels, just do it.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    I'd play if there were things to do other than fly spaceships around and mine.  Ground combat or something would be nice.

There's this other game you should maybe know about...

You mean the crappy PS3 exclusive that's nothing more than an FPS?  No thanks.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by Koroshiya

The only thing that would encourage me to play eve again is if they dropped the capital ship fights and went back to battleships and lower combat, dunno... just lost interest when SNIGG went from pirates to alliance humpers, alliance was fun at the peak of my time during RIT seige but it got boring...  

most people seemed to do complexes in capitals and gave up on pirating so I ended up ratting in 0.0..  meh.  

C1-4 wormholes have few or no capitals in them. It's almost exclusively subcaps, in small-med sized groups.

I'd play if there were things to do other than fly spaceships around and mine.  Ground combat or something would be nice.

There's this other game you should maybe know about...

You mean the crappy PS3 exclusive that's nothing more than an FPS?  No thanks.

So you want ground combat but you don't want an FPS?

You're hard to please.

• TadzioTadzio Member UncommonPosts: 103

I played EVE for 3 years, left during MonocleGate, had four accounts I believe.

I was thinking about coming back to the game like 4 times since I left.

What would make me come back, I think, would be more diverse gameplay. Obviously, It's not something you can do in one month with 20 devs.

Planetary Interaction sounded good, until I actually played it... But I think the idea behind it was pretty neat.

Then, when I think about it, adding more systems to the game is a pretty bad idea since it adds even more complexity, which turns newbies away, and won't happen since they apparently refocused to polishing current systems.

I tried it all pretty much, the most notable being:

0.0 in small-ish sov-holding alliance - was pretty fun, but what kept me playing there for 2 years wasnt the game, but the people. After political situation got stale, it felt like a chore... Our FCs were at fault too

Highsec, including t2 production - I loved it, shit-ton of money was made, but POS interface was HORRIBLE, and the reason I stopped doing it after about a year

I also tried wormholes, fun as hell, but in the end, you're shooting NPCs, so I left about 3 months and 5b in the wallet (Apocrypha best expansion)

To recap my incoherent rambling, the reason I won't come back, is because everything is combat-oriented in the end, and game eats a lot of time, if you want to play it seriously, and not in ''I'm mining in highsec, I know the shit'' way.

I would love some semi-casual thing to do, which would endorse player interaction in some kind of meaningful way. Maybe they should just rework PI from a ground up.

Is there something *small* that would make me come back? No, probably no.

Sorry~

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Tadzio

I played EVE for 3 years, left during MonocleGate, had four accounts I believe.

I was thinking about coming back to the game like 4 times since I left.

What would make me come back, I think, would be more diverse gameplay. Obviously, It's not something you can do in one month with 20 devs.

Planetary Interaction sounded good, until I actually played it... But I think the idea behind it was pretty neat.

Then, when I think about it, adding more systems to the game is a pretty bad idea since it adds even more complexity, which turns newbies away, and won't happen since they apparently refocused to polishing current systems.

I tried it all pretty much, the most notable being:

0.0 in small-ish sov-holding alliance - was pretty fun, but what kept me playing there for 2 years wasnt the game, but the people. After political situation got stale, it felt like a chore... Our FCs were at fault too

Highsec, including t2 production - I loved it, shit-ton of money was made, but POS interface was HORRIBLE, and the reason I stopped doing it after about a year

I also tried wormholes, fun as hell, but in the end, you're shooting NPCs, so I left about 3 months and 5b in the wallet (Apocrypha best expansion)

To recap my incoherent rambling, the reason I won't come back, is because everything is combat-oriented in the end, and game eats a lot of time, if you want to play it seriously, and not in ''I'm mining in highsec, I know the shit'' way.

I would love some semi-casual thing to do, which would endorse player interaction in some kind of meaningful way. Maybe they should just rework PI from a ground up.

Is there something *small* that would make me come back? No, probably no.

Sorry~

You have been playing this game the wrong way and couldn't be more wrong.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• CKPlayGameCKPlayGame Member UncommonPosts: 33

I'm looking for ideas to take to CCP. I'm not interested in stupid stuff like "Change EVE into being a PvE grind4epix" or ideas that would take 50 devs 2.5 years to implement, but small, developmentally affordable things that would help people who are attracted to EVE but ran into this roadblock or that dead end.  Basically, stuff to smooth the path into the game.

To give an example of the kind of stuff I'm after: I had an idea to reform the NPC corps. At the moment, if you're not in a player corp, you default into an NPC corp which you don't even get to choose.  I'd like to see NPC corps offer some small bonuses/penalties, advantages/drawbacks, restrictions/opportunities that basically make this NPC corp a natural choice for miners, that NPC corp a good choice for haulers, and so on.  This would mean that people who don't want to be in a player corp, or just haven't managed to get into one that they like yet will still be in a community of people with similar interests.  As well as having like-minded players to talk to, this would make for a good basis for new corps to be formed from.

a complete fresh server with no server transfer

• TadzioTadzio Member UncommonPosts: 103

Why is that? I had fun for 3 years or so.

I left because of MonocleGate and the fact game was stale after 3 years of playing.

I'm pretty sure if they didn't fuck up during that summer, I would still be playing

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by jtcgs

I'm looking for ideas to take to CCP. I'm not interested in stupid stuff like "Change EVE into being a PvE grind4epix" or ideas that would take 50 devs 2.5 years to implement, but small, developmentally affordable things that would help people who are attracted to EVE but ran into this roadblock or that dead end.  Basically, stuff to smooth the path into the game. 

There really isnt outside of creating a new universe where PvP is optional.

Without that all new players must whore themselves for protection...right now the biggest roadblock for new players is the fact that the entire game is controlled by vets and they stand NO CHANCE against them. Its too hard to just log in and get into the game. Its the same thing in all FFA PvP games, once the game has been out for a while, new players get the short end of the stick.

you have been playing WOW too long.

EVE is about taking the inititative, you think vets run your alliance and tell you what to do? That's because YOU have been complaining too much without doing anything....that's the easiest way.

You want to be a leader? Start learning the game; start leadiing fleets or lead corporations of your own and build your own empire.

EVERY leader staretd like thise....back in 2008 there were some players whining about the same thing, but they got spanked, started to take the initiative and became fleet commanders, made their own corporations, took them into an alliance, helped build that alliance up to LEADING that alliance among the 2003 vets.

But it's easier to complain doing nothing and waiting for your corp leader to hand you all the reigns because you think you're entitled to it.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

WiS walk in stations full blown as promised by ccp nothing less.
    will make eve in size as wow ..

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Eve will never be the size of WoW.  Walk in Stations will be nice but at the same time will always be kind of a fluff feature.
    Originally posted by CKPlayGame

To give an example of the kind of stuff I'm after: I had an idea to reform the NPC corps. At the moment, if you're not in a player corp, you default into an NPC corp which you don't even get to choose.  I'd like to see NPC corps offer some small bonuses/penalties, advantages/drawbacks, restrictions/opportunities that basically make this NPC corp a natural choice for miners, that NPC corp a good choice for haulers, and so on.  This would mean that people who don't want to be in a player corp, or just haven't managed to get into one that they like yet will still be in a community of people with similar interests.  As well as having like-minded players to talk to, this would make for a good basis for new corps to be formed from.

a complete fresh server with no server transfer

So basically you're A-OK with the idea of vets having an advantage, your only issue is that you're not one of them?

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

I did play EvE-online in beta and then occasionally couple months periods (at least one or two years in total). I have been member of at least 7 different corps, I have enough ISK to buy any ship or equipment I want and I have enough skills for piloting and controlling equipment. I know how to make money, I know economy game. Only way for me to go forward is to join some hardcore 0.0 corp. I have absolutely no interested to do that, because I absolutely doesn't have interested to work for some fag, who likes to give stupid orders and then stupidity lose his (I mean corp's)  titan in some meaningless fight.

If you want me back, give me alternative. Give me something do as solo player who doesn't have any interested to do theme park quests/missions or collect achievements. Walking inside station was looking pretty good - would have offered something else do do awhile running number in excel sheet. Could have been fun, if that would have offered some minigames and social interaction. Faction vs. faction warfare is actually pretty good addition for soloplayers like me - just find big enough zerg, follow it and have some fun (only problem is that you can't do any of your normal business when doing that). Other changes made to EvE recently (planetery interaction, countless changess to player owned starbases and DUST) are locked behind 0.0 corp doors.

PS: Also kill bots (mining and trading).

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• LordEbolaLordEbola Member UncommonPosts: 51
    space pandas
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    An intuitive UI that doesn't require an hour of customization to make the game playable in groups.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by redcapp
    An intuitive UI that doesn't require an hour of customization to make the game playable in groups.

Well the UI is getting updated in either the next expansion or the one after that I think.(Actually on second thought I think they might be slowling rolling it out over multiple expansions.  And, the UI isn't that hard to navigate imo it's just different than most MMOs.)

• apanz3rapanz3r Member UncommonPosts: 273

I stopped to play eve like 2 years ago.

I would come back for PvP without farming  offered by one of those

-arenas a la world of tanks , without loosing ships (you die , you ship is back in hangar). Maybe you loose sometime a module as loot for winners (like 10% chance).

-"gold ships" that respawn in your station like noob ships

Originally posted by apanz3r

-arenas a la world of tanks , without loosing ships (you die , you ship is back in hangar). Maybe you loose sometime a module as loot for winners (like 10% chance).

The test server is there for you if you want zero consequence PvP

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    a courtesy kiss from the gank squad before they screw me out of the new ship I just bought.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

The ability to fly your ship like a pilot, but it is a all other game which actually a bit of a shame because most of fly your ship type game are mindless action pew-pew-pew, without any deph but kill X number.

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

Originally posted by korriken

I used to play eve. One thing I always hated was how often Goonswarm would make victims out of ordinary people, and given how supermassive they were, there wasn't a damned thing you could do about it.

you piss off a higher up in goonswarm? your eve career was pretty much over if they decided they wanted you gone. they could afford to keep mercs on you until you finally gave up in frustration and/or made a new account and retired your old one.

and then, there was magic in the air, CCP had released a new war dec feature that would allow you to assist defenders in a war. suddenly the playerbase had turned on Goonswarm and high sec was a VERY hostile environment for them to operate in and it was taking a bite out of their profits as their haulers were being popped and looted by ordinary players.

the leaders of Goonswarm cried and the devs were insanely quick to move in and 'fix' this 'problem' neutering the playerbase's uprising and ensuring Goonswarm could go back to doing what they do best, making the playerbase miserable.

After that, I unsubbed, docked my ship, and refused to give CCP another penny of my money.

I loved this game, but I simply cannot bring myself to play it anymore, given how heavily CCP panders to the single largest alliance in the game.

Dude join a proper high sec corp that does wardecs (privateers used to be good at this stuff) and piss the goons again, eventually wardec them . Best fun ever.

I am really tempted to get back to eve if this is true. Let me know who you pissed off and how in any case ;)

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I haven't played it for about almost a year, I was just burnt out on it. My real hate of the game was gate camp bubbles in null. When I had to travel a distance my heart would sink because I knew I would encounter a gate camp and it was a matter of crossing your fingers and hoping you brought enough firepower and people with u to get pass them.

I answered to your question in the thread.

My time is important and valuable to me. I am am simply  votting with my wallet. CCP lost at least 500euros worth of subs per year. Now I give those money to other mmos and i support kickstart games like Star Citizen.

There is no shame to play theme park MMOs altough World of Tanks and Planetside2 are not theme parks.

Is safe to say that World of Tanks is AT LEAST 10 times bigger than EVE and got there in short amount of time,

• cdesteycdestey Member Posts: 70

I answered to your question in the thread.

My time is important and valuable to me. I am am simply  votting with my wallet. CCP lost at least 500euros worth of subs per year. Now I give those money to other mmos and i support kickstart games like Star Citizen.

There is no shame to play theme park MMOs altough World of Tanks and Planetside2 are not theme parks.

Is safe to say that World of Tanks is AT LEAST 10 times bigger than EVE and got there in short amount of time,

WoT and PS2 are also what? That's right, FREE