Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well can't say we didn't see this one coming...

12345679»

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Well say half the team is art people, wtf does it matter if they'd worked on a mmo before.

Likewise sound and music people.

Now you would want people making your graphics engine to know how to optimise for a mmo, likewise the people doing the networking and server infrastructures.

But at least half the team on any mmo don't need mmo experience at all.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    How many people on the wow team had designed and released a mmo?
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    How many people on the wow team had designed and released a mmo?

I never said there was something specifically wrong with only having two people on the team with MMORPG experience, just that the truth is different than what they were representing.

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Colddog04's arguement is ridiculous.  It's like saying that if Bill Gates created a new software company he wouldn't be successful because he's hiring employees that aren't as experienced as the veterans at Microsoft.

Leadership goes a very long way, especially if the brains of the operation is incredibly talented.  You can teach someone practically anything, but you can't fix stupid.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• wolfhoundswolfhounds Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by colddog04
    Originally posted by Grimbor
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Maybe. But there are big huge looming differences. CU actually has the money it needs to be made into a solid game. CU also has a development team that has shipped MMOs before, and not only that but well received one. Also single player games. Basically CSE has people that have been tested and passed.

The above isn't hype, it's just plain old fact. I don't know what people mean by "second coming" and don't really care to. CU won't cure cancer, but if made as designed it stands a good chance of breaking the themepark monotony that is MMO gaming these days. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Aren't there only 2 people at CSE that have designed and released an MMORPG? Here is the last and only game made by CSE: March on Oz.

Yah and one is the lead designer and the other is the lead developer.  Whats your point?

Oh, just that they made it sound like there was a whole team behind it that has all this great experience making and releasing MMORPGS when really there is a single designer and developer that have. 

You don't think that maybe the money they just raised - in addition to the $2 million MJ is putting up, and in addition to private backers - is maybe going to go toward the hiring of more employees?

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Grimbor
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Maybe. But there are big huge looming differences. CU actually has the money it needs to be made into a solid game. CU also has a development team members that has shipped MMOs games before, and not only that but well received one. Also single player games. Basically CSE has people that have been tested and passed.

The above isn't hype, it's just plain old fact. I don't know what people mean by "second coming" and don't really care to. CU won't cure cancer, but if made as designed it stands a good chance of breaking the themepark monotony that is MMO gaming these days. That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Aren't there only 2 people at CSE that have designed and released an MMORPG? Here is the last and only game made by CSE: March on Oz.

Yah and one is the lead designer and the other is the lead developer.  Whats your point?

Oh, just that they made it sound like there was a whole team behind it that has all this great experience making and releasing MMORPGS when really there is a single designer and developer that have. 

No, that's the way you wanted to interpret it to try to make an arguement of it. I said they have experience shipping GAMES. Not necessarily just MMORPGs. And in shipping GAMES they have more experience than the crews at DF and MO when at the point of the specific company making a MMO. Meaning CSE has more game making experience at this point in their life than Adventurine or Star Vault had at the same moment.

Edit: My fault. I left a word out. "Members" was supposed to be in there and I was thinking Games and wrote MMOs.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• nationalcitynationalcity Member UncommonPosts: 501
    Originally posted by baphamet
    [mod edit]

Honestly, I'm sorry to say this but hes partially right... If you look at the comments in the article half the posters according to the author made NEW ACCOUNTS just to be able to respond in a rude/flaming way just because they didn't like what he had to say....

I could of taken some of them seriously if they would of actually responded like adults but it was mostly hate spewing garbage....

Why go outta your way to setup an account on some site your probably never gonna use again just to get back at a guy that said bad stuff about your game. Why does it even matter? It was one guy outta how many people I don't understand it but that's just me......

I'm not saying the whole community is like that but it doesn't bode well when before the game is even released we have people this worked up over it...

The community is gonna scare people off themselves with the way some of the posters act about this game.........

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by nationalcity
    [mod edit]

Honestly, I'm sorry to say this but hes partially right... If you look at the comments in the article half the posters according to the author made NEW ACCOUNTS just to be able to respond in a rude/flaming way just because they didn't like what he had to say....

I could of taken some of them seriously if they would of actually responded like adults but it was mostly hate spewing garbage....

Why go outta your way to setup an account on some site your probably never gonna use again just to get back at a guy that said bad stuff about your game why does it even matter? I don't understand it but that's just me......

I'm not saying the whole community is like that but it doesn't bode well when before the game is even released we have people this worked up over it...

The community is gonna scare people off themselves with the way some of the posters act about this game.........

Grand scheme it was a handful of folks (when compared to the overall community for CU so far) which is no better or worse than any other game in history.  THe majority of people who are going to play this will never hear about it. If they do it will be from the folks trying to make a big deal out of it right now who never let the matter drop. Think about that. THOSE people who don't let the issue drop and keep crying on it are no better than the ones they are trying to villify.

Again in a few weeks this will blow over.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• wolfhoundswolfhounds Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by nationalcity
    [mod edit]

Why go outta your way to setup an account on some site your probably never gonna use again just to get back at a guy that said bad stuff about your game. Why does it even matter? It was one guy outta how many people I don't understand it but that's just me......

You could be right, but lots of assumptions and opinions there.  And if people actually believe that what happened this month is going to impact a game to be released in 2 years (with all the related updates between now and then), I'm afraid that's just absurd.

• david06david06 Member Posts: 183

In case anyone missed it, Eric Kain(the Forbes writer who Kuchera tried to get fired) wrote a short piece on the Camelot Unchained kickstarter yesterday:

'Camelot Unchained' Kickstarter Enters Last 24 Hours, Nears $2 Million Goal

Camelot Unchained isn’t trying to clone WoW or its business model: rather, it’s trying to reach a certain segment of MMO players who will find this niche more satisfying than any mainstream MMO. It’s a good strategy, and I’m pretty sure this sort of “niche” model is going to be the way of the future.

After all, there’s only so much room in this market for successful, multi-million dollar MMORPGs. At a certain point, lower-budget projects with more specific audiences in mind will need to fill in the gaps. I think this will lead to more innovation and ultimately more successful MMOs (not to mention happier customers) than the Try To Be Everything To Everybody approach we see so often today.

About 450 words of fairly impartial opinion and information about the project. Apparently he wasn't so overwhelmed with spam.

Compare this with Kuchera's 1000-word whine about the CU fan base and how he and his friends in the gaming press were so offended that they didn't cover the project out of spite...I guess that stirring controversy gets more attention and page views though.

Anyway after lauding AAA companies for their professionalism and ethics and how they would never spam an upcoming product

...he had the comments section to his piece closed.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by david06

In case anyone missed it, Eric Kain(the Forbes writer who Kuchera tried to get fired) wrote a short piece on the Camelot Unchained kickstarter yesterday:

'Camelot Unchained' Kickstarter Enters Last 24 Hours, Nears $2 Million Goal

Camelot Unchained isn’t trying to clone WoW or its business model: rather, it’s trying to reach a certain segment of MMO players who will find this niche more satisfying than any mainstream MMO. It’s a good strategy, and I’m pretty sure this sort of “niche” model is going to be the way of the future.

After all, there’s only so much room in this market for successful, multi-million dollar MMORPGs. At a certain point, lower-budget projects with more specific audiences in mind will need to fill in the gaps. I think this will lead to more innovation and ultimately more successful MMOs (not to mention happier customers) than the Try To Be Everything To Everybody approach we see so often today.

About 450 words of fairly impartial opinion and information about the project. Apparently he wasn't so overwhelmed with spam.

Compare this with Kuchera's 1000-word whine about the CU fan base and how he and his friends in the gaming press were so offended that they didn't cover the project out of spite...I guess that stirring controversy gets more attention and page views though.

Anyway after lauding AAA companies for their professionalism and ethics and how they would never spam an upcoming product

...he had the comments section to his piece closed.

Kain wasn't overwhelmed with spam because Forbes wasn't on the list of media outlets to be spammed, whereas Penny Arcade was on the list. Simple, nothing to do with the different writers respective attitudes, but then that doesn't help with the conspiracy theories.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

Colddog04's arguement is ridiculous.  It's like saying that if Bill Gates created a new software company he wouldn't be successful because he's hiring employees that aren't as experienced as the veterans at Microsoft.

Leadership goes a very long way, especially if the brains of the operation is incredibly talented.  You can teach someone practically anything, but you can't fix stupid.

You guys are tenacious. Please show me where I made an argument. Actually, the guy I was quoting even said he meant to say something else in a later post.

They have 2 people on their team that have done MMORPG development before. They have a total of about 20 people from what I've read. Why is that so hard to accept?

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    It's done.  KS is funded, in spite of the wishes of many (including some writers, apparently.)  Let's let this thread die.

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Lol someone wasn't here during the entire years long build up before gw2 release

oh i was and this is worse, even if there are less fans. i never have a problem with fans of a game, this is an mmo fansite after all.

but these dudes take it too a whole nother annoying level.

sorry, not trying to offend anyone but it just bugs me.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185

Lol someone wasn't here during the entire years long build up before gw2 release

oh i was and this is worse, even if there are less fans. i never have a problem with fans of a game, this is an mmo fansite after all.

but these dudes take it too a whole nother annoying level.

sorry, not trying to offend anyone but it just bugs me.

Half of the spam on this forum was fueled by trolls getting in flame wars over Kickstarter threads started by about 2 or 3 people. People just need to stop posting in threads about games they couldn't give two shits about.

EDIT: I just realized I have asked for the impossible...

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Danwarr
    Originally posted by baphamet   Originally posted by ShakyMo Lol someone wasn't here during the entire years long build up before gw2 release
      oh i was and this is worse, even if there are less fans. i never have a problem with fans of a game, this is an mmo fansite after all. but these dudes take it too a whole nother annoying level. sorry, not trying to offend anyone but it just bugs me.
    Half of the spam on this forum was fueled by trolls getting in flame wars over Kickstarter threads started by about 2 or 3 people. People just need to stop posting in threads about games they couldn't give two shits about.

but i do have an interest in this game, even though i don't give them free money to fund it.

but some of the annoying fans here really do turn me off big time.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185

Originally posted by Danwarr

Originally posted by ShakyMo Lol someone wasn't here during the entire years long build up before gw2 release
      oh i was and this is worse, even if there are less fans. i never have a problem with fans of a game, this is an mmo fansite after all. but these dudes take it too a whole nother annoying level. sorry, not trying to offend anyone but it just bugs me.

but i do have an interest in this game, even though i don't give them free money to fund it.

but some of the annoying fans here really do turn me off big time.

I apologize, I wasn't directing that comment at you at all.

The trolls know who they are.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

You guys are tenacious. Please show me where I made an argument. Actually, the guy I was quoting even said he meant to say something else in a later post.

They have 2 people on their team that have done MMORPG development before. They have a total of about 20 people from what I've read. Why is that so hard to accept?

Eh.  Who cares?  The project funded and that's what matters.  Regardless of who is on the development team, complainers would just find something else to focus on.  GG.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162

Eh.  Who cares?  The project funded and that's what matters.  Regardless of who is on the development team, complainers would just find something else to focus on.  GG.

Also, Mike Crossmire was the effects guy for DAoC and a bunch of other games and is on board. He looks to be late 30's-40's and did all of the effects for Dark Age, spells, weather, day/night cycle. So, they have three gurus in important positions, Lead Design, Lead Programming, and Effects. Essentially, you have core ideas/design/systems, Engineering/Coding (top to bottom, the guy seems to know everything), and Aesthetic for the game covered. With an enthusiastic, talented, young team, they should be fine.