Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why is everyone so excited for this game

TehTicTehTic Member UncommonPosts: 36
I was able to catch a few videos of this upcoming North American release. Honestly I cannot understand why everybody is excited for this game! As that it has run of the mill graphics, attack  effects, and combat. The concept seems to be sound, but in my opinion the game is launching way too late to have a large appeal due to the already stated   generally poor game. Maybe somebody would like to explain why there's so much hype for another average game that is behind the general gaming community in time.

Comments

• dennis5dennis5 Member CommonPosts: 23
    You might like strawberries, I hate 'em.... It's just a matter of perception. I don't like ArcheAge either but that's not the point. 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    From the feature lists that people have been posting here, it seems the game has far more than what you saw. I think the people that are psyched about this game are more interested in the range of gameplay than in the tech of the graphics.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    People are always excited for games that aren't out yet.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    It's a sandbox-ish AAA MMORPG with player housing, sieges, player-made factions, etc.
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by sirphobos

Ding!

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    It's graphics look fine to me -
    Not everyone wants Tera combat-
    The more open game world - no focus on cut scene voice acting stories is what I want.

ArcheAge is far closer to my type of mmo with a virtual world feeling that the on rails , look at me in my private cut screen mmos that have been coming out the past few years.
  • Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610

Being able to interact/add to the game world is what draws me to it most.

I feel I could contribute to the gameworld, not just exist in it.

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

And then the hype begins...after release maybe week first poored in here saying it sucks neverending cycle it seems:)

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

The keyword here is sandbox. Not that many sandbox games around.

It seems to have many of the features sandbox fans want.

• Professor78Professor78 Member UncommonPosts: 610
    Originally posted by Nasa

The keyword here is sandbox. Not that many sandbox games around.

It seems to have many of the features sandbox fans want.

I was trying to stay away from actually saying the word that themepark junkies go mental over :)

Core i5 13600KF,  BeQuiet Pure Loop FX 360, 32gb DDR5-6000 XPG, WD SN850 NVMe ,PNY 3090 XLR8, Asus Prime Z790-A, Lian-Li O11 PCMR case (limited ed 1045/2000), 32" LG Ultragear 4k Monitor, Logitech G560 LightSync Sound, Razer Deathadder V2 and Razer Blackwidow V3 Keyboard

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I wasn't the least bit interested in it until I found out Trion will be involved. Now my interest is peaked.
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower

And then the hype begins...after release maybe week first poored in here saying it sucks neverending cycle it seems:)

Compared to the recent deluge of kickstarter fanaticism... I prefer the rabid fanbois/haters of games that are due to be released *soon* as opposed to some date so far off into the future that the majority of the game still only exists in one's head or on paper.

At least the former have something to point to that can be debated... the later only have promises of promises.

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    I think when they released a screenshot of a race car you could buy in the cash shop, interest in this game all but vanished.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by TehTic
    I was able to catch a few videos of this upcoming North American release. Honestly I cannot understand why everybody is excited for this game! As that it has run of the mill graphics, attack  effects, and combat. The concept seems to be sound, but in my opinion the game is launching way too late to have a large appeal due to the already stated   generally poor game. Maybe somebody would like to explain why there's so much hype for another average game that is behind the general gaming community in time.

My first answer to your question. In an industry where innovation is near non existant..the game has some out of the box thinking......at least from an outsiders perspective.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well you started out with a decent stement in that it is sort the same old and sort of late but there is more to it.

This guy Jake Song used to work for a large developer,now this is his chance to create something for himself.I should start by saying that a game with large of a scale and covering ALL content aspects is tough to just go out on a whim and go with all new concepts.It  would simply be too risky.

What makes this game btter however is that it is shipping right out of the box with EVERYTHING.That means no broken promises,none of that "we are thinking about it" or the real funny one "We are taking our time to do it right".

Weather yo uare bored with this design or just don't like it,it is stil lwhat i woudl call an actual AAA game,unlke all the other games that have come out missing key components.Not only is this game going to be complete,it is doing a little bit more and still creatin g a few un ique ideas,so it really is a definition of AAA.I have not seen a AAA game since AOC,so ya get all huffy,all those games after AOC are why you see F2p.I might add that Rift is about the same as AOC but Aoc did do a couple things nobody else is doing and went that extra effort with hi resolution graphics.

I know many misread or jsut don't read entire posts,so i will repeat,this is not about weather you like the game,it is about EFFORT by a developer and this is a AAA effort.

As to choice and what design flaots your boat ,that is why we have choice,i wouidl still hope people support AAA effort and not just becuase a game is new or their friends are playing or it receives a 9/10 hype scale.As you can tell,i don't like supporting a developer who does it half ass,it is like a slap in the face.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WaidenWaiden Member UncommonPosts: 500
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    It's a sandbox-ish AAA MMORPG with player housing, sieges, player-made factions, etc.

Exactly this!

+ If anyone can be excited about neverwinter... well, then players should be killing themself for not playing ArchAge yet.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

This game is a immersion/adventurer's wet dream. The world is vast/beautiful and  because it is a sandbox, you can play it how you choose without being forced down specific paths or playstyles by the developers. Honestly if you take a look at the feature set, that should be all you need to see. There are plenty of threads here which outline all the features that AA offers and it continues to grow weekly.

Also in regards to graphics, you know this title is using the Cryengine 3? This is arguably the most powerful MMO and expensive engine in existance and is extremely scalable and will stay relivant for years. Maybe you saw some bad examples but AA has some of the most stunning visuals I have ever seen in an MMO. I can promise you, graphics are the least of your concerns.

The only thing which may not be for everyone is the activites in the game differ drastically from the standard fare of today. If you prefer to grind dungeons, quests, or instanced raids, this game may not be for you. If you are interested in building your own empire, creating goods for trade runs (trade runs produce some of the most exciting PvP moments you will ever see), sailing the seas for treasure or piracy, politics, then this game will be a welcomed change.

While AA isn't for everyone, many will without queston find this a huge departure from what the current fare of MMO's provide.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

It is a AAA mmo different from all other AAA mmos released in the last 10 years. It's the closest of Ultima Online that a AAA title reached until now.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Most games that try and "do it all" end up doing too much and being watered down.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the game -

Some concerns on the housing availability and viable end-game paths outside of PvP - but the rest looks pretty legit.

I honestly think this is going to be one of those games that is fantastic for the people who love the design, and kind of "meh" for everyone else.

Like an EvE. Loyal, somewhat large, passionate and dedicated fan base w/o what most would consider "mass" appeal.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Being able to build your own buildings, build your own castle and defend it?

creating your own towns?

For those interested, planting and harvesting your own farms? naval battles? Open pvp?

Large customization of your character as far as abiliities.

there aren't many games coming out that have much of that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Originally posted by fantasyfreak112
    I think when they released a screenshot of a race car you could buy in the cash shop, interest in this game all but vanished.

LOL that;s all it takes? Your loss!

Something else to fuel your fire, they have trees with white leaves. OMG the horror!!

Give me a break! For a game with a feature set this long trying to offer so many diverse ways to play, the addition of a vehicle is enough to put you off on the title? So sad.

Well at least there are games like NWN or TESO that are familar enough not to scare you. You'll only want to play them for a couple months but at least you'll feel nice and safe there. Meanwhile, I be enjoying AA for years to come while you just keep hopping MMO's.

• Pixel_JockeyPixel_Jockey Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Being able to build your own buildings, build your own castle and defend it?

creating your own towns?

For those interested, planting and harvesting your own farms? naval battles? Open pvp?

Large customization of your character as far as abiliities.

there aren't many games coming out that have much of that.

Indeed. I would like to play something with some good sandbox elements for a change. The game may very well turn out to be a huge POS, but I will at least try it as it has some interesting features (on paper anyways). 

• fantasyfreak112fantasyfreak112 Member Posts: 499
    And then someone storms your castle in a modern race car they bought in the cash shop haha. Immersion? You must be joking.
    And then someone storms your castle in a modern race car they bought in the cash shop haha. Immersion? You must be joking.

You know what they say about assumptions?!

NOTHING is known about the true function of the car. Did you ever think it is made for other purposes and may not be able to be used as the equivalant of a mount? It seems to me that it will serve the function of ohh lets see, a race car for umm, races. Nothing was ever said about being able to use it in normal gameplay but hey assume away.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by steelwind

LOL that;s all it takes? Your loss!

Something else to fuel your fire, they have trees with white leaves. OMG the horror!!

Give me a break! For a game with a feature set this long trying to offer so many diverse ways to play, the addition of a vehicle is enough to put you off on the title? So sad.

Well at least there are games like NWN or TESO that are familar enough not to scare you. You'll only want to play them for a couple months but at least you'll feel nice and safe there. Meanwhile, I be enjoying AA for years to come while you just keep hopping MMO's.

It would be fucking annoying seeing cars driving everywhere in this game.  Hopefully they are just for a mini game.  I def wouldn't play if the roads are all filled with modern day cars.  Massive immersion breaker.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

This discussion has been closed.