Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Respecting the players wallet - Damion Schubert insight into microtransactions

2»

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk
    Originally posted by BadOrb

I bought SWTOR when it released so that makes me an instant preferred player and I tried the game out again a few weeks ago. Just after the new expansion came out, in fact.

I found the F2P model it's using to be very heavy handed, even as a "preferred player". The issue with the hotbars is one that I particularly dislike, while the inability to toggle off headgear is just pure insanity. I have never seen any game that requires a player to pay money for the ability to toggle their head slot item off/on, other than SWTOR. And you'd think that someone that actually bought the game for the full retail price would be able to access the fully functional UI.

Is it a game breaker? No, not at all. Does it indicate to me a level of contempt for the playerbase never seen before in an MMO? Yeah, big time.

This just comes across as the worst hypocrisy, coming from a company with no respect at all for the player's wallet, or the player.

But then, this is nothing I wouldn't expect from EA, a company I've fallen foul of several times before when it comes to MMO's and the companies they've bought out and ruined in the past.

So 4 free hotbars isn't enough for you ? Weird thought that would be plenty , the hood toggle thing is a bit odd on the flip side.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

It's not so much the 4 hotbars, but the inability to have them set up the way I want them. Even at release I found the 2 hotbars at the bottom of the screen distracting/intrusive so I only used 1 of them, plus the side bars.

My ability to configure them in that way as a preferred player is missing. It's all or nothing, 4 or 2. Hence my complaint about not having a fully functioning UI. I mean really, hotbars. It's a basic part of the UI and it isn't something I would associate with F2P. Again, I can't think of any other F2P game that has required hotbars to be unlocked with cash.

It's as if they all sat in a room trying to figure out what they could get a way with charging us for. The inventory stuff, the access to certain content are pretty standard fare for F2P, but the hotbars and the head slot toggle is just going too far. It makes the whole thing feel like a cash grab. Worse, it makes me feel like they have no respect for the players. I just think it's pretty contemptable that they would charge for such pissant little things.

But as I said, that's EA for you.

And before anyone says it, no I won't re-sub to the game to get all those features. I left because I didn't feel like the game was worth the sub. There are better games to play out there, in my opinion. As A F2P it may have been worth looking at just to finish the IA story but I hate what they've done.

It's not even like the game is unplayable but I just can't bring myself to play it, given the level of contempt and disrespect I feel is shown to the players. Those 2 inconsequential things is enough to put me off completely, purely as a matter of principle.

No offence to anyone that does sub is intended. If you like the game and you sub then I'm happy for you, it's just not for me.

Realy sounds like a personal problem to me.  OMG, Can't move the bars the game suxxors.  OMG, can't create macros to play the game for me. Boo Hoo.  Good gamers adapt.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by waynejr2

I bought SWTOR when it released so that makes me an instant preferred player and I tried the game out again a few weeks ago. Just after the new expansion came out, in fact.

I found the F2P model it's using to be very heavy handed, even as a "preferred player". The issue with the hotbars is one that I particularly dislike, while the inability to toggle off headgear is just pure insanity. I have never seen any game that requires a player to pay money for the ability to toggle their head slot item off/on, other than SWTOR. And you'd think that someone that actually bought the game for the full retail price would be able to access the fully functional UI.

Is it a game breaker? No, not at all. Does it indicate to me a level of contempt for the playerbase never seen before in an MMO? Yeah, big time.

This just comes across as the worst hypocrisy, coming from a company with no respect at all for the player's wallet, or the player.

But then, this is nothing I wouldn't expect from EA, a company I've fallen foul of several times before when it comes to MMO's and the companies they've bought out and ruined in the past.

So 4 free hotbars isn't enough for you ? Weird thought that would be plenty , the hood toggle thing is a bit odd on the flip side.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

It's not so much the 4 hotbars, but the inability to have them set up the way I want them. Even at release I found the 2 hotbars at the bottom of the screen distracting/intrusive so I only used 1 of them, plus the side bars.

My ability to configure them in that way as a preferred player is missing. It's all or nothing, 4 or 2. Hence my complaint about not having a fully functioning UI. I mean really, hotbars. It's a basic part of the UI and it isn't something I would associate with F2P. Again, I can't think of any other F2P game that has required hotbars to be unlocked with cash.

It's as if they all sat in a room trying to figure out what they could get a way with charging us for. The inventory stuff, the access to certain content are pretty standard fare for F2P, but the hotbars and the head slot toggle is just going too far. It makes the whole thing feel like a cash grab. Worse, it makes me feel like they have no respect for the players. I just think it's pretty contemptable that they would charge for such pissant little things.

And before anyone says it, no I won't re-sub to the game to get all those features. I left because I didn't feel like the game was worth the sub. There are better games to play out there, in my opinion. As A F2P it may have been worth looking at just to finish the IA story but I hate what they've done.

It's not even like the game is unplayable but I just can't bring myself to play it, given the level of contempt and disrespect I feel is shown to the players. Those 2 inconsequential things is enough to put me off completely, purely as a matter of principle.

No offence to anyone that does sub is intended. If you like the game and you sub then I'm happy for you, it's just not for me.

Realy sounds like a personal problem to me.  OMG, Can't move the bars the game suxxors.  OMG, can't create macros to play the game for me. Boo Hoo.  Good gamers adapt.

Yeah adapt by playing any other F2P game instead, that gives all the players the same gameplay features.

It is one thing a game has certain features and another game does not ie SWG had macros SWTOR does not - yeah you adapt, but it is something else when the same game has the features but not for everyone, making the players of the same game play unbalanced with each other.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

Cheers,

BadOrb.

so , you want to spend money and game time on a sub standard product?  your choice

but dont expect many others to do the same

mmos are made for fun, the moment they dont deliver that fun, theyre in trouble

even blizzard had to learn that lesson, during the weather patch

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Did I mention macros? No. I'm not a fan of macros or addons that play the game for me, I'm a good enough gamer not to need them. Nor am I a fan of buying a game for £40 then having the UI functionality removed from it and having to pay to access it again. And the head slot toggle is just a blatant cash grab.

As I clearly said it's a matter of principle, not one of being unable to play the game. Of course it's personal.

I could adapt to the game and play it as it is but I choose not to because, in my opinion, EA are being unreasonable in what they think they can charge for. So I choose not to play.

There's no boo hooing going on because of being unable to play the game for any reason.

The boo hoo you hear from me is for EA being a bunch of money grabbing, contemptable, greedy, disrespectfull <censored>.

Good gamers adapt, dumb ones pay for shit they should be getting as standard.