Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netmarble puts conventional pay-to-win combat items in item mall; still doesn't seem to realize that

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Today Netmarble put some special smith forging tools in the item mall.  As with everything else in the game, explicit formulas aren't forthcoming, but it looks like the magnitude of the bonuses does not depend on what gear you apply it to.  Applied to top end gear, you'd get around +50% strength to cannons, land weapons, or armor.

That basically means that if you were thinking of picking up the game for the sake of PVP, don't, at least unless you plan on buying the new items.  At current prices, the tools are a pro-rated $0.30 each, though they do wear out.  I'm not sure if it takes one to max gear, or if you'd need to burn through a ton of them.  I'm guessing that it's the latter.  Dungeons are likewise massively affected.

Adventuring discoveries, thankfully, are still unaffected.  Whoever runs the item mall seems to have the idea that this is a conventional MMORPG that is almost entirely about combat, and chooses things for the item mall accordingly.

Incidentally, this may not have that much effect on getting ganked by pirates.  Pirates don't want to sink you with cannons.  They want to board you and take your stuff, and cannons don't help with that.  This won't help them board you, and if they can't board you, they can't steal your stuff.  If anything, driving pirates to quit (as pvpers are the most affected by the new items) could make the seas safer.

Comments

• VetarniasVetarnias Member UncommonPosts: 630
    Funny how nobody seems to mention trade anymore. Or has it never recovered from investment bonds nearly two years ago?
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Dungeons poured so many ducats into the system that about the only way you'll be short on money is if you need billions of ducats, either for investment or to buy NC ships.  Expedition ship boarding tickets commonly sell for around 1 million ducats each.  You can farm them by running Syracuse upper, a dinky little two floor, level 10ish dungeon that gets you a ticket each time.

Advanced dungeon runners will pay that much for them because the East Asia dungeons can get you tens of millions of ducats per run.  You get a group together in Europe, use five ESBTs to warp to the dungeon, and then 15 minutes later, everyone in the group has tens of millions of ducats worth of loot--and has it where they started in Europe, so they can sell it quickly for a huge price.

It's been a long time since anyone particularly cared about investment bonds.

• engellenengellen Member UncommonPosts: 83

quiz ive been on the fence about trying this game and after reading that they put in traditional p2w items, is there any reason for me to try it.

also, are the pay to win items blatant like in runes of magic where you can literally buy health increases for your char until you are god?

played a million mmo's

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Originally posted by engellen

quiz ive been on the fence about trying this game and after reading that they put in traditional p2w items, is there any reason for me to try it.

also, are the pay to win items blatant like in runes of magic where you can literally buy health increases for your char until you are god?

I haven't played Runes of Magic.  How bad does "you can make weapons 50% stronger" sound to you on the pay to win scale?

If you just want to do combat, then I'd say no.  Other games do combat better.  If you want an MMORPG with a bunch of things to do other than combat and will mostly ignore combat, then there aren't that many alternatives, and this is still a good one.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    I guess I should have read this forum before I dled it on Steam. But it was free so did not cost me anything except maybe an hour of time. No I can go delete it. Sounds like a Perfect World game so I will pass.
  • cagancagan Member UncommonPosts: 445

Nah, Perfect world is actually better than Netmarble.  They have super high prices on cash store but the items are not so outrageously overpowered. It's still P2win pretty much in Perfect World  stores but they should take Greed 101 lessons from netmarble. My latest favourie was the cannons made by the cash shop items where you can blow up any ship in just 1 shot... It is the super nuke cannon of the 16th century!