Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can this game attract new playerbase?

xKopogeroxxKopogerox Member Posts: 68

I'm aware EVE has been success and reported growth over the years, but with passve skill gains that players been gaining over a decade and more isks (currency) in the market now than ever I'm just trying to make some sense why would a new player choose to play this P2P MMO?

Starcraft oldschool aka wise/04. SWG/UO aka Wise HeRo, Light Jedi Knight pre-cu (Bria)

Comments

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by xKopogerox

I'm aware EVE has been success and reported growth over the years, but with passve skill gains that players been gaining over a decade and more isks (currency) in the market now than ever I'm just trying to make some sense why would a new player choose to play this P2P MMO?

Because only a few skills are useful in any given ship/situation so the distance between a vet and newbie is not as big as you think it is.

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    theres a lot of lateral progression in EvE. sure  you get more skills, and you become better at different skills,  but hell I was still useful in my first month to my corporation. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Because only a few skills are useful in any given ship/situation so the distance between a vet and newbie is not as big as you think it is.

Very true. 

"I'm just trying to make some sense why would a new player choose to play this P2P MMO?"

This weekend we just spent celebrating a lot of the reasons why. 

• One of the things that long-running MMOs usually have is a passionate core playerbase. In EVE, that core playerbase has grown year over year. The community has grown year over year. You're not looking at a few hundred avid fans huddled together in their favorite town, hoping the game they cherish isn't getting sunsetted tomorrow. You're looking at a massive, healthy community to jump into. People to play with, active chat, enemies to fight, and an ever-changing political landscape where even the tightest grips on territory or resources have been shattered in the blink of an eye.
    • EVE expands out more than it expands up. Over the years, new content has been added to broaden the scope of what players can do. Most MMOs have a very limited set of progression paths, often just leveling, and new content over time is often the addition of more levels on the top. A new player gets the benefit of more for them to do at all stages of gameplay compared to the top heavy upgrades of the older games and the lighter content set of newer games.
    • EVE is a very social game. When one is regularly reading about high profile scams and assassinations, that may seem an odd statement, but EVE allows players to interact on the level that is most comfortable for them. It allows players to engage in collaborative or cooperative activities how they want to and not by a grouping ruleset. Most MMOs (not all) tend to swing to one end or the other, either your progress is hindered if you aren't tethered to 3-5 other people, or you are detached in your gameplay to the point where the game is almost a singleplayer experience. 

There's more but Skalmold is on in 45 mins and I want to hit the bar for a bit first.

Have a great weekend, Kopogero!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

why would a new player choose to play this P2P MMO?

Hello,

because it is constantly evolving and expanding. Have you seen anything from the Fanfest?

A great expansion coming up in about a month called "Odyssey". Awesome future expansion plans about space colonization, starting in December.

EvE is cool, it will always be there because it is a living breathing sandbox universe, not some stale run off the mill themepark MMO which runs out of content after a month.

"Sandbox will remain the future" (you can quote me on that:)

Cheers

Doc B

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Because if you had done your homework you would have known that skillpoints are not the benchmark for winning fights or getting rich.

You are stuck in the "you have to be max level to be relevant".

It's KNOWLEDGE of the game that makes you advance over others or win fights, not just skillpoints.

I see vets strugling to earn some money, and I see ppl who just entered the game with market backgrounds do trades+market wars and earn more money in the first 3 months then many vets in a year.

For example:

I have a friend that recently quit EVE, he sold his 2004 character -legally- on the EVE forums which has 150M+ skillpoints. That new player thought he had won the lottery prize, yet he ends up on the killboards with stupid losses, thinking every fight with a player with less then 150M sp is automatically a win.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    As others have said it's more of a game of brains and skill than it is skills.  If you know what you want to do you can basically start doing it right away too.  Sure you won't master it anytime soon but there is rarely something keeping you from getting started in it and making a little isk while doing so.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    It needs real time combat and a direct link between your actions and skills, rather than just sticking them on train for a month which is boring.
  • KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    you can always buy chars with ingame money :)
  • mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

Eve is attracting new players, and has been since its inception. Subscribers have grown every year since the game was released 10 years ago.

The latest expansion, Retribution, brought the biggest increase in new players in Eve's history.

• pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

WiS walk in stations full blown as promised by ccp nothing less.
    will make eve in size as wow ..

• GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

It would get more players by banning the scammers and the mods doing their jobs of policing the game instead of hold rookies hands in chat channels. The games rep is so badly damaged that no one I know will even try the free trial.

Now I'll wait on the people that play as scammers here telling me that I'm wrong and that is what makes the game special, their probably the same guys that pirate games for the hell of it. :(

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor

It would get more players by banning the scammers and the mods doing their jobs of policing the game instead of hold rookies hands in chat channels. The games rep is so badly damaged that no one I know will even try the free trial.

Now I'll wait on the people that play as scammers here telling me that I'm wrong and that is what makes the game special, their probably the same guys that pirate games for the hell of it. :(

I've never scammed anyone out of so much as a 0.01 ISK

Scamming is in the game because its up to the players to determine how they will interact with each other. The main limits are those imposed by external laws; CCP come down very hard indeed on any threats of RL action, however "joking" they might be.

But in game it is up to you to decide and enforce the rules.

Much like in real life we don't just pray to God to punish people we don't like, but create armies and police forces and intelligence agencies which are real people doing real things, not invinviple omnipotent beings with ultra-powers.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    The last time I tried to get into EVE, I joined a beginner corp and they had me customize my UI before I could group with them.  The process took between 30 minutes to an hour.  IMO the game would do well to make their UI much more intuitive, which is the same thing I said in another thread on this subject recently. 
  • GregorMcgregorGregorMcgregor Member UncommonPosts: 263

There is a big difference though, irl you don't last to long if you scam some one (At least not in Belfast, the USA may be different). In Eve, you get praised and the victim gets laughed at, then once enough newbies get burnt the players (be it the honest ones) cry that no one likes their fav game and that it's name is in the dirt. It's hard to give a company money each month just to have some bully or cyber criminal take all and anything you have earned while playing.

And like you I've never scammed anyone, nor would I dream of ever doing so. And I've not even been victim to it, but I've seen it and watched the vids and read the stories. No one is going to play a MMO or even more so, give a monthly sub only to be abused and the company that your paying say "Tough shit, you need to be more careful!". If it ever does happen to me, I'm going after CCP!

You can't shit in your own backyard and then wonder why your friends won't come round to swim in your pool. :(

No trials. No tricks. No traps. No EU-RP server. NO THANKS!

...10% Benevolence, 90% Arrogance in my case!
  • chilltime99chilltime99 Member UncommonPosts: 55

I didn't join EVE until the Apocrypha expansion. I had been interested in the game for some time before I finally decided to give it a try. A RL friend of mine would try to explain that even though he had been playing since EVE's beginning, I would still have my role and be a valuable asset to a corp and a fleet. However, I was skeptical as I couldn't understand how someone with minimal skill points could aid a group of higher "skilled" players.

Regardless of my reservations, I finally decided to give it a shot. I bought the game and was hooked. Since it was right after the Apocrypha expansion, the expansion that introduced wormhole space, my corp had plenty of things for me to do while I got my sea legs. It didn't take but a couple of days and I was in a tech 1 frigate scanning down sites in the wormhole space. Early on, I was also the dedicated salvager of the fleet. I would go in after my fleet had cleared all of the enemy ships and start trying to get whatever salvage and items were left behind on the wrecks. Then I tried out mining. This allowed me to directly contribute to my corp's industrial interests.

Within the first week or so of playing, I had very few skill points. However, I was involved in my corp's operations. I was going on higher level missions as a salvager. I was scanning down sites and ships in wormhole space. I was going on mining ops with a huge alliance fleet. Even though I wasn't in big expensive ships, noone made fun of me. Noone discredited my contributions. Noone made me feel like I was hindering them. Instead, everyone seemed to go out of their way to ease me into the game.

Also, these were not people I had ever met before. I didn't join my RL friend's corp. I wanted to go my own way and make it on my own. So I did, and I've made long lasting friendships from people all over the world. I can't say any other game has given me that.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Let me get out of my damn ship. Let me explore planets.

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by redcapp
    The last time I tried to get into EVE, I joined a beginner corp and they had me customize my UI before I could group with them.  The process took between 30 minutes to an hour.  IMO the game would do well to make their UI much more intuitive, which is the same thing I said in another thread on this subject recently. 

Most corps want to be sure that new players have their overview setup correctly.  Having one of their members accidently shoot a blue causes unnecessary diplomatic drama.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by redcapp

If someone's walking you through it, it should take no more than 10 minutes tops. There just aren't all that many options in the overview.

It's also possible to give someone a downloadable .xml to autoconfigure their overview, in which case it takes about 60 seconds.

Originally posted by GregorMcgregor

There is a big difference though, irl you don't last to long if you scam some one (At least not in Belfast, the USA may be different). In Eve, you get praised and the victim gets laughed at, then once enough newbies get burnt the players (be it the honest ones) cry that no one likes their fav game and that it's name is in the dirt. It's hard to give a company money each month just to have some bully or cyber criminal take all and anything you have earned while playing.

And like you I've never scammed anyone, nor would I dream of ever doing so. And I've not even been victim to it, but I've seen it and watched the vids and read the stories. No one is going to play a MMO or even more so, give a monthly sub only to be abused and the company that your paying say "Tough shit, you need to be more careful!". If it ever does happen to me, I'm going after CCP!

You can't shit in your own backyard and then wonder why your friends won't come round to swim in your pool. :(

It's not newbies who get scammed though. Who's going to bother doing all that work for an ibis, 617 units of veldspar and some hi-sec belt rat loot? The ones who get scammed are those who try and play EVE like a traditional "level grinder", stay in hi-sec doing nothing but accumulate ISK by ~foreveralone~ missioning, then buy themselves a faction fitted capital ship or whatever and think that they can buy their way into "the top guild". Then the CFC take their money, kill their ship and they get mad.