Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazon payments keep failing, nooooo

13»

Comments

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by taus01
    Originally posted by DocBrody
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Tuktz
    Quite the opposite. I think the big influx of backers / dollars from the penny arcade article, and tons of comments on it after, actually broke the amazon server used for handling those payments from kickstarter.

LOL!

Can't wait to see how much it goes up when it turns back on. Talk about the floodgates opening!

This is just a ridiculous statement. This project barely has 10.000 backers, I've seen better game projects with more than 90.000 backers and Amazon never broke down. Stop these hype exaggerations please.

Star Citizen 170.000 backers total on site and KS

Double Fine 90.000 on KS

Elite Dangerous 25.000 on KS

CU 10.000.... lol

This whole campaign is very suspicious. So little backers yet so many "high rollers". No one can convince me that regular gamers pledged $500 - $5000. [mod edit]

Baffled!

Not coming up with anything indeed.  If you need to use gross hyperbole to make your point, reconsider if your point is worth making.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Now we are blaming Amazon for the lack of pledges?  Where does this stuff come from.....I pledged and it worked fine!

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• MoraxoMoraxo Member Posts: 17
    Originally posted by redcapp

This whole campaign is very suspicious. So little backers yet so many "high rollers". No one can convince me that regular gamers pledged $500 - $5000. [mod edit]

Baffled!

The average pledge is $161.00, so I'm not sure where you're coming up with your numbers.

I am not coming up with anything, you basically made my point. The numbers are right there for you to check. Similar projects have a third or less of that as average pledge.

DoubleFine: $38

Torment: $56

Shroud: $68

I can come up with a variety of valid explanations off the top of my head:

1. The projects aren't all that similar. Alpha/Beta access as well as reduced subscription rates or even lifetime subs are much more sought after in a subscription based MMOG. Paying $250 on a regular single player game is questionable, paying $250 for a subscription MMO that would otherwise end up costing you $400+ for the same time is a fair choice.

2. CU's core demographic are oldschool-gamers, many of which are above-average age, have well paying jobs and don't mind throwing a couple 100-1000 bucks at something they'll likely enjoy for many years to come.

3. They are catering to a niche, aiming at a lower number of backers that are in return gonna be ever more satisfied and willing to pay more for a game that they know is tailored to their needs.

4. They have very well thought out reward tiers (contrary to what many people say) that start as a great deal at $25, are an even better deal at $250 and are still worth your money at $500+

5. Their Backers are very passionate. I fall into the "$500 - $5000" category myself even though i'm sacrificing some luxury for it. It's worth it to me.

Simple as that, isn't it?

Edit:

Originally posted by TheJoda
    Now we are blaming Amazon for the lack of pledges?  Where does this stuff come from.....I pledged and it worked fine!

Maybe from the fact that KickStarter admits to having problems (http://status.kickstarter.com/post/49273054536/4-30-2013-amazon-payments-errors-resolved), or because Amazon had the service listed as disrupted (http://status.aws.amazon.com/) or from the fact that despite the former 5k/h average the pledges have been at a dead standstill for almost 3 hours. But what do i know...

http://status.kickstarter.com/post/49273054536/4-30-2013-amazon-payments-errors

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

TheJoda

Amazon was down for 6 hours. It's not blaming when it's true, Amazon & KS admit to it:

http://status.kickstarter.com/

In total, it was down 5-6 hours, with the original time it went down.

In the crucial, last 48 hours, that's heart-breaking, as we were averaging 7,000$ an hour until then - much less now.

And from Amazon:

http://status.aws.amazon.com/

Think of the people who went to pledge during those 6 hours. They attempted to pledge, maybe they're new to KS, unsure of it, but decide anyways. They get refused...multiple times.

They might go away and never come back.

<div id="current_fps_1367353040_NA" bordered-dark="" pad8"="">
    1:20 PM PDT We are seeing increased error rates and latencies impacting CBUI pipeline, ASP, Pay, Reserve, Settle, Cancel APIs in the NA region.
    1:28 PM PDT We can confirm increased error rates and latencies impacting CBUI pipeline, ASP, Pay, Reserve, Settle, and Cancel APIs in the NA region.
    1:57 PM PDT We continue to investigate the increased error rates and latencies impacting CBUI pipeline, ASP, Pay, Reserve, Settle, and Cancel APIs in the NA region.
    2:31 PM PDT We continue to investigate the increased error rates and latencies impacting CBUI pipeline, ASP, Pay, Reserve, Settle, and Cancel APIs in the NA region.
    3:40 PM PDT FPS is currently experiencing increased error rates and latencies of transaction APIs, Reserve, Settle, Refund CBUI pipeline and Simple Pay in the NA Region. We are working to get error rates and latencies back to normal range.
    5:21 PM PDT Between 11:45 AM PDT and 4:15 PM PDT, we experienced elevated error rates and latencies impacting CBUI pipeline, ASP, Pay, Reserve, Settle, and Cancel APIs in the NA region. The issue has been resolved and the service is operating normally.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

Originally posted by Moraxo

Baffled!

The average pledge is $161.00, so I'm not sure where you're coming up with your numbers.

I am not coming up with anything, you basically made my point. The numbers are right there for you to check. Similar projects have a third or less of that as average pledge.

1. The projects aren't all that similar. Alpha/Beta access as well as reduced subscription rates or even lifetime subs are much more sought after in a subscription based MMOG. Paying $250 on a regular single player game is questionable, paying $250 for a subscription MMO that would otherwise end up costing you $400+ for the same time is a fair choice.

2. CU's core demographic are oldschool-gamers, many of which are above-average age, have well paying jobs and don't mind throwing a couple 100-1000 bucks at something they'll likely enjoy for many years to come.

3. They are catering to a niche, aiming at a lower number of backers that are in return gonna be ever more satisfied and willing to pay more for a game that they know is tailored to their needs.

4. They have very well thought out reward tiers (contrary to what many people say) that start as a great deal at $25, are an even better deal at $250 and are still worth your money at $500+

5. Their Backers are very passionate. I fall into the "$500 - $5000" category myself even though i'm sacrificing some luxury for it. It's worth it to me.

Edit:

Maybe from the fact that KickStarter admits to having problems (http://status.kickstarter.com/post/49273054536/4-30-2013-amazon-payments-errors-resolved), or because Amazon had the service listed as disrupted (http://status.aws.amazon.com/) or from the fact that despite the former 5k/h average the pledges have been at a dead standstill for almost 3 hours. But what do i know...

.....worked for me, maybe user error.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    MJ just posted on the comments they said NO to giving the lost time back.. pretty shitty imho

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

Baffled!

Fair point, but wait a minute, the same can be said for Shroud of the Avatar, Elite, Torment, Double Fine. So, what where you trying to say again?

In any case, i was making an observation and you made your point. Let's just wait until this whole thing blows over so we can move on to the next overhyped project.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

Baffled!

Edit:

Lol.  Not sure if serious.  Their own website states the system was down, but you think it's user error?  /facepalm

• MoraxoMoraxo Member Posts: 17

I somehow doubt that a downed server classifies as a "user error" ;)

At least everything's back up and running now.

Fair point, but wait a minute, the same can be said for Shroud of the Avatar, Elite, Torment, Double Fine. So, what where you trying to say again?

In any case, i was making an observation and you made your point. Let's just wait until this whole thing blows over so we can move on to the next overhyped project.

Fair enough...

...but as a naturally obnoxious guy who can't stand not having the last word, I do feel obligated to point out that $68 isn't "a third or less" than $161, and while some of the points may be made for the other games (oldschool target audience, passionate backers, good reward tiers), they don't have all 5 working together (is any of those even a subscription MMOG?) like CU does.

• MkilbrideMkilbride Member UncommonPosts: 643

Ok, yes, Amazon themselves admit to the issue...but it's use error.

Just to show you how much this hurt:

6 is when Amazon first went down, for about an hour. It came back up and for awhile, we were good, thoug hless.

Then 3, 2 is when Amazon was down for another 3-4 hours.  After that is our slow recover.

We definitely lost an nice chunk.

Help get Camelot Unchained made, a old-school MMORPG, with no hand holding!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    MJ just posted on the comments they said NO to giving the lost time back.. pretty shitty imho

What a joke. It's supposed to have 30 days not 29 3/4 or whatever. Almost makes me wish it doesn't quite fund and he uses a different site for a 2nd fundraising that does succeed.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    Maybe nerds emailed amazon trying to promote and pissed them off too?? Lol

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• outd00rmineroutd00rminer Member Posts: 37

That is really shitty of Kickstarter not to grant an extension. It's doubly frustrating because the pace this morning was tremendous.  Likely would have ended at $1.8-1.85M after today leaving a puny $150k for the final 24 hour push.

That about does it.  The fat lady is warming up.  :/

Originally posted by meddyck
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

What a joke. It's supposed to have 30 days not 29 3/4 or whatever. Almost makes me wish it doesn't quite fund and he uses a different site for a 2nd fundraising that does succeed.

yea its crappy.. but in all honesty i think the people who want to donate won't be detracted by those lost hours.. still plenty of hours to go and i know myself and I'm sure many others are going to up their pledge on the last day.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PlaidpantsPlaidpants Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Meh still down.

Baffled!

Edit:

Lol.  Not sure if serious.  Their own website states the system was down, but you think it's user error?  /facepalm

....calm down bro, it will be ok.   There is plenty of time left!

Baffled!

Edit:

....calm down bro, it will be ok.   There is plenty of time left!

I'm not too concerned about the KS.  Your perception of what constitutes user error though.. has me rolling.  LOL.

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Danwarr
    If you are lucky it might screw over those who will try to pull out of the massive pledges at the last minute.

Pledges cannot be pulled out within the last 24 hours if they would cause the Kickstarter to fail.

Backers may increase, decrease, or cancel their pledge at any time during the fundraising campaign, except that they may not cancel or reduce their pledge if the campaign is in its final 24 hours and the cancellation or reduction would drop the campaign below its goal.

You are right, some people might be in for a shock in about 20hrs time

Kickstarter trolls only have 2.5 hours to withdraw. Should be an interesting couple of hours.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    If you are lucky it might screw over those who will try to pull out of the massive pledges at the last minute.

Pledges cannot be pulled out within the last 24 hours if they would cause the Kickstarter to fail.

Backers may increase, decrease, or cancel their pledge at any time during the fundraising campaign, except that they may not cancel or reduce their pledge if the campaign is in its final 24 hours and the cancellation or reduction would drop the campaign below its goal.

Kickstarter trolls only have 2.5 hours to withdraw. Should be an interesting couple of hours.

It amazes me that people think this way.  I saw this mentioned before "Kickstarter Trolls"?

So anyone that withdraws a pledge is a "Troll" huh?

Do you think there is any chance that Mark Jacobs constantly messing around with the teirs might have something to do with it?

For example:  the teirs that used to offer "all future expandion packs for free" have been undermined by the 30FP ($25) offer of the same thing?

Or how about the fact that many backers have probably put in more than they ever planned too?

Backers are actually pressuring each other to pledge more.  It might seem like a great idea at the time - but if it funds I imagine there will be more than a few marital disputes when the CC Bill arrives.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Originally posted by Gyrus

It amazes me that people think this way.  I saw this mentioned before "Kickstarter Trolls"?

So anyone that withdraws a pledge is a "Troll" huh?

Do you think there is any chance that Mark Jacobs constantly messing around with the teirs might have something to do with it?

For example:  the teirs that used to offer "all future expandion packs for free" have been undermined by the 30FP ($25) offer of the same thing?

Or how about the fact that many backers have probably put in more than they ever planned too?

Backers are actually pressuring each other to pledge more.  It might seem like a great idea at the time - but if it funds I imagine there will be more than a few marital disputes when the CC Bill arrives.

lol if people are overspending for a game because they feel others are "pressuring" them into paying above their means that person has a lot bigger issues to deal with than just an upset significant other:)

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Gyrus

Wait there's now a FP item for free xpacs? How have I not heard of this until now? CSE fail. Well I'll easily be able to grab it with the FPs for my tier anyway. Good to know about though.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer