Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are we old farts a dying breed?

TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

We who enjoyed MMO that took time to play, accomplish ingame really matters, crafters had names, dungeons were hard, even get a level were a accomplish in it self, everything we did back then really matters and it really felt good.

Now you play MMOs atleast western ones on autopilot, you don't really need a guild, you dont really need friends, everything is layed out for you to play from A to B solo, even the dungeons and raids gets on farm mode within a week it gets released.

And the sad part for me is that the younger generation seems to enjoy this, instant gratification crowd no wonder game studios seems to make clones left and right when it sells so good............for a month.........then they return on this board and the sead game board and whine there is nothing to do at endgame and wait for the next big thing.

Some of you might know me from GW2 forums and thinks hey you talking about yourself why on earth are you even making a thread like this when you play GW2?

Why I play GW2 is not because it's easy or hard I play it because Anet broke the WoW mold simple as that, I can finally play a game were I'm free to do what I want, and yes I would love this game to be less solo friendly and more hardcore.

Just wanted to say that for you guys who love to make a post history.

So are we old farts ever going back to the old days with some modifications or are we stuck with instant gratification generation and pray for some indi company who has money to do it right?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Comments

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by Torgrim

We who enjoyed MMO that took time to play, accomplish ingame really matters, crafters had names, dungeons were hard, even get a level were a accomplish in it self, everything we did back then really matters and it really felt good.

Now you play MMOs atleast western ones on autopilot, you don't really need a guild, you dont really need friends, everything is layed out for you to play from A to B solo, even the dungeons and raids gets on farm mode within a week it gets released.

And the sad part for me is that the younger generation seems to enjoy this, instant gratification crowd no wonder game studios seems to make clones left and right when it sells so good............for a month.........then they return on this board and the sead game board and whine there is nothing to do at endgame and wait for the next big thing.

Some of you might know me from GW2 forums and thinks hey you talking about yourself why on earth are you even making a thread like this when you play GW2?

Why I play GW2 is not because it's easy or hard I play it because Anet broke the WoW mold simple as that, I can finally play a game were I'm free to do what I want, and yes I would love this game to be less solo friendly and more hardcore.

So are we old farts ever going back to the old days with some modifications or are we stuck with instant gratification generation and pray for some indi company who has money to do it right?

just like us RPers i think our days are past, i play less and less MMOs and if it wasnt for my group of friends prob would already be done, for these reasons.

it is what it is things move on sometimes for bettter sometimes not.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

@OP: not at all "dying". Just diluted.

Originally posted by Robokapp

the 'instant gratification' crowd will pass.

No they won't, they've always been there. It's just that some of them are interested in mmo's now.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Agreed. The younger generation wants the instant gratification instead of earning it. They think it is called grind when you don't accomplish something within 2 hours. MMOs are about the journey to the destination and if it takes me over a year to reach that then so be it. Atleast I know my money was well spent. Today it is about paying to be super powerful and clear the game in a weekend. Pretty pathetic!
  • c0existc0exist Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Stuck I believe, achieving max level was difficult and people played games and subscribed to them for years.  Now you can get max on a free weekend and in about 2-3 months you get bored and look for the next one.  Gear and levels and money seems to just be handed out nowadays.  I am in the minority and like to grind whether it be leveling or crafting or farming.  I dont mind if it takes me a year to get to max level because the journey can be fun if playing the right game.  But adapt we must because fast leveling and instant gratification is here to stay unfortunately.
  • TjedTjed Member Posts: 162

I'm still holding on.  I've got a good group of friends that I like playing with, but it's getting tougher to hang in there.  I'm going to hold out for EQnext at least, but if that's a solo to max level with a full on item shop, f2p, queue for everything, instance fest, then I might just have to throw in the towell and stick to single player and pnp games.

Right now I'm enjoying the foundry in Neverwinter. 

• stromp45stromp45 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by Torgrim

I know how you feel i rember in eq if you die the long cr runs and loseing lvs like one time in growth raid wiped and had a 13 hour cr run was afraid we would all lose our stuff til a few druids came to help us. but i hate to say it those days are over with if half these kids had to wait 13 hours to get there equip back most would rage quit. and god forbid you just hit max lv and died and lost your lv that took you a week to get with hours and hours of play.

Originally posted by Normandy7
    MMOs are about the journey to the destination and if it takes me over a year to reach that then so be it. 

Sounds very similar to what I posted 2 seconds after you.  Didnt realize anyone else felt like that anymore.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    I hope we aren't. I see the youngins trying to recapture the 90's, playing all the old games, listening to all the old music. I'm hoping we see a resurgence of that culture soon. Kids are starting to realize newer games aren't very hard and they're seeking the challenges we can't help but gush about.
  • TjedTjed Member Posts: 162
    Originally posted by c0exist
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    MMOs are about the journey to the destination and if it takes me over a year to reach that then so be it. 

Sounds very similar to what I posted 2 seconds after you.  Didnt realize anyone else felt like that anymore.

Just the other day I was longing for the leveling experience of 1-60 in vanilla WOW.  I actually missed how long that took.  That's when you know it's gotten bad. 

Originally posted by Sovrath

No it won't, they've always been there. It's just that some of them are interested in mmo's now.

the handheld smartphone has done things to them that haven't existed before. just is 24/7 social connection. they're still a 'young' young generation that it'll continue to shift and change. as a whole. they'll always exist but not in present format. 

I think the smart phonee have done things to many people.

Take my close friends.

Some of the smartest, most down to earth, loyal, level headed, non-fad jumping people you will ever meet.

so...

we go to a friend's wedding that has a sort of park/river walk. We can't find our friend so I go to do a search.

I return to see every one of my friends, smart phone in hand, all looking down and doing that "thing" they do with their fingers. Every one. Sitting on a park table doing "this stuff".

I half expected a "pod" to be under that very table...

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

Bringing back mindless mobgrinding wont revitalize the game industry. The old dungeons weren't particularly hard but they took a lot of time to complete, and I don't think making them take 2-5 hours again improves the game.

However, I do agree that the crazy dumbing down on questing and dungeon difficulty kills a lot of the enjoyment for any veteran, levelling has to be more than a guided tour through the world and endgame shouldn't be nerfed down so everyone can see it.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
    I guess since it took time you feel more rewarded.  What is the rush for?  It took me close to a year to get to max level in ffxi, there were few people at that level.  Gear and rank and gold all that was something to gloat at because you knew that person worked damn hard to get that stuff.  Now I can do a quest for exp and get awesome weapons and gear that everyone can possess by doing a simple quest.  Camping monsters with a 1% drop rate that only spawn once every 24 hours don exist anymore.  In a simple sentence, why I like the slow leveling and difficult gameplay is that "sense of accomplishment " that I personally have not felt in an mmo in almost 8 years.  But to each his own different people play games for different reason.  Thats just my personal opinion on the issue.
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    The instant gratification and the f2p crowd will eventually die out 
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I had a thread about this several months back (that's where I got my spotlight poster title weee lol), and I said back then that the instant gratification ruins the MMO experience.

If you like the following you might be a MMO player:

- Going into a forest or mine for hours to gather materials for crafting.

- Sitting at a workstation for hours turning wood and ore into something you can use.

- Sitting somewhere crafting for hours on end, just to get 1/4 of a level in a craft.

- Takes a year or more to get to the level cap.

- Killing so many "insert monster here" that people make comics and jokes about it...yet still you didn't level up.

- Grouping up to take on higher level enemies for bonus experience.

- Grouping up just to survive the trip to the next town.

- Grouping just for the sake of playing with friends, even if you could do it yourself.

- Death penalties that actually hurt.  Loss of experience and/or lots of resources...or even your gear.

- Having to go to a wiki or guide site to print out a map of the game world, because you're lost all the time.

- Doing nothing but sitting in a bank, pub, house, or some other place just chatting with people.

Edit: If you don't like any of those then you're probably an RPG, Shooter, or RTS player that got transplanted into MMOs because someone made a cross genre game like WoW (RTS players),  Planetside (shooters), Neocron (shooters).  I think alot of the current MMO playerbase really aren't MMO players, they're players from other genres...MMOs are the only genre that isn't supposed to be 20-30 minutes and you're done.  It's supposed to be like a second life.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

No they won't, they've always been there. It's just that some of them are interested in mmo's now.

This.

There IMO is really no significant difference between people 10 years ago and people today. There were just as many people interested in free as today, just as many interested in "instant gratification' as today.

MMO's were not special 10 years ago, in many cases they were significantly worse.  They just catered to a different crowd. 

But now they are making games for the people that didn't like MMO's 10 years ago. 

You're just diluted. 

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
    Originally posted by Precusor

Why?

f2p crowd: what's the incentive? they get to play games for free and then move on to the next one when they are done. And/or they get to pay to get ahead, get their fun and move on to the next one when they are done.

Instant gratification crowd: people think that it's all people who are "young".

Rememember, we were all young(er) as well. When you played your older mmo's you were younger. But you stuck wth things because you had your eye on the prize.

However, there are players who want things "now" and what's worse they always have to win. Failure is not an option.

This is not to say everyone who plays f2p games is like this but "people" who want things without risk and quickly have been around for longer than any of us have been alive.

And then again longer...

Originally posted by Gravarg

I had a thread about this several months back (that's where I got my spotlight poster title weee lol), and I said back then that the instant gratification ruins the MMO experience.

- Sitting at a workstation for hours turning wood and ore into something you can use.

- Sitting somewhere crafting for hours on end, just to get 1/4 of a level in a craft.

- Killing so many "insert monster here" that people make comics and jokes about it...yet still you didn't level up.

- Grouping just for the sake of playing with friends, even if you could do it yourself.

- Death penalties that actually hurt.  Loss of experience and/or lots of resources...or even your gear.

- Having to go to a wiki or guide site to print out a map of the game world, because you're lost all the time.

Very well put, that should be in all games terms and conditions.  If you do not like at least seven of these things dont even bother.  I for one can check off all of them as enjoyable.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

You have to read each bullet point in your best Jeff Foxworthy voice and end each bullet with "you might be a MMO player"

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601

Very well put, that should be in all games terms and conditions.  If you do not like at least seven of these things dont even bother.  I for one can check off all of them as enjoyable.

I don't consider most of those as pre-requisites for MMO's.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Yeah, and can't help but notice the lack of anything about graphics...MMO players like graphics, but we'd gladly trade the above for them :)

I also forgot, "Policing the area for griefers, and corpsecamping them until they log...or if full loot, loot them, and make them give back what they've stolen, and pay a fine"  :)

Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

I don't consider most of those as pre-requisites for MMO's.

Exactly because the mmo's arent made with those in mind anymore.  I cant name one mmo nowadays that has at least 2 of those qualities.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

/like

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by Precusor

Why?

f2p crowd: what's the incentive? they get to play games for free and then move on to the next one when they are done. And/or they get to pay to get ahead, get their fun and move on to the next one when they are done.

Instant gratification crowd: people think that it's all people who are "young".

Rememember, we were all young(er) as well. When you played your older mmo's you were younger. But you stuck wth things because you had your eye on the prize.

However, there are players who want things "now" and what's worse they always have to win. Failure is not an option.

This is not to say everyone who plays f2p games is like this but "people" who want things without risk and quickly have been around for longer than any of us have been alive.

And then again longer...

Like P2P market.. people are going to get bored sick playing the same rehashed mediocre f2p mmos .

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604

I played runescape for 5 years and never hit the old max level. Only made it to 114, yet it was always something to strive for amongst other activitites which is what kept me playing.

Edit: About death penalties in older mmos.  I feel like Aion did it right in terms of a crossover between the old and new. When it first released you lost experience when you died but it could be bought back with gold.  So you either had to grind the xp or grind for the gold.  Not as harsh if you had the coin, but still provided some sort of a penalty.  Then again I always like rushing back to where my armour was in runescape just to watch it disappear before I could pick it all up

• David_LopanDavid_Lopan Member UncommonPosts: 813
    IMO generation "Y" can't I have everything on a silver platter aint helping things, even outside of trivial games such as mmo's. I am really hoping for a digital media renaissance age. Reality TV, stupid auto pilot games, etc are ruining our minds and re-enforcing mental lazyness and sterile creativity.