Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well can't say we didn't see this one coming...

Comments

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by Dahkoht
    Originally posted by Sebali
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    That's exactly why I didn't back this game.. The CU fanboys started annoying the fuck out of me with their constant spamming of pointless threads and the constant begging.  I'll still play the game when it launches though..

i have a horrible feeling this is going to make the GW2 fanboy spamming look like lil school girls antics. we're gonna have years of this CU crap to deal with.

and i have a feeling the game will be just as much of a letdown as GW2 was

I've said in other threads this is the first group I've seen to surpass the early beta Vanguard fanatics and McQuaid worshippers.

I thought I'd never see that surpassed.

I know right, and the funny thing is this guy has never made an MMO that had positive growth after six months, in fact had the largest mass exodus in MMO history.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    The same annoyiance can be found here, people that support the KS here counter and anti-spam those that don't like it and visa versa, The only reason however this kickstarter is sooo prominate here is the spammers. Look at the most highly posted individuals on this kickstarter and their history is only CU and only on a few threads after being warned not to make new threads on the same subject. The same spam in emails has been happening here sense day one.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

[mod edit]

True that, we get "heated" but so far pretty much just talk about our opinions on the subject which is a breath of fresh air, thnx to all for keeping it civil.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by Saxonblade
    That's exactly why I didn't back this game.. The CU fanboys started annoying the fuck out of me with their constant spamming of pointless threads and the constant begging.  I'll still play the game when it launches though..

i have a horrible feeling this is going to make the GW2 fanboy spamming look like lil school girls antics. we're gonna have years of this CU crap to deal with.

I've said in other threads this is the first group I've seen to surpass the early beta Vanguard fanatics and McQuaid worshippers.

I know right, and the funny thing is this guy has never made an MMO that had positive growth after six months, in fact had the largest mass exodus in MMO history.

DAOC's numbers didn't really drop until WOW/TOA, to be fair.

• dantheman13dantheman13 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Originally posted by dotdotdash

Counterpoint:

It is up to Penny Arcade to put in place a system capable of dealing with such consumer action. That way, fans can be as passionate and organised as they want and PA and co don't have to deal with the negative consequences of such action.

I can see what Ben is saying; it is unpleasant to have to deal with hundreds and hundreds of emails that say the same thing. The problem is that Penny Arcade and other outlets open themselves up to such action by soliciting suggestions, and by broadcasting their contact information for people to use.

The solution isn't to say "the fans of a game have sent us passionate emails that are causing us some issues, so in response to that we're not going to cover that game (and thus punish the business involved)". The business - City State Entertainment - did nothing to PA. PA are in effect boycotting one group of people for the actions of a totally different group of people, even though the group they're boycotting have limited influence over the other group (and did attempt on several occasions to stop the behaviour). That displays a distinct lack of professional courtesy and integrity.

The solution is to say "right, so... we've had this problem before (ed: as the article suggested they have had this problem before), and now we have this problem again. HOW do >WE< deal with this, so that fans can continue to express themselves and we don't have to suffer the negative consequences involved (but can still glean the information we need to provide our readers with the media they want)." That's the right solution, the professional solution, and the solution I'd expect a company worth millions of dollars that has a great deal of experience in dealing with such massive groups of consumers (they organise conventions ffs) to pursue.

Movie studios and various other organisations have come up with a myriad of ways to deal with such consumer action. It's a well documented phenomenon, and several workable (and cost effective) systems have been developed to deal with it. PA and others may not like it, but it comes with the territory (and... again... the article suggests they already knew this).

P.S. I don't care about CU.

Well said.  PA's reaction to the "spamming" is childish at best.  Politicians around the world often get email bombed by pre-written email messages by grassroots organizations.  Such emails have curbed evil things like SOPA and other nasty laws and government policies.  As long as these emails were not automatically generated, which by the sounds of the article there is no proof that they were, PA should have done the responsible thing and taken the emails as a sign of a passionate community that should not be ignored.  Their refusal to cover the game only makes them a questionable and lazy gaming news outlet for me.   

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by belatucadros

TOA came out way before WoW, to be fair  October 28, 2003, so that is totaly irreleveant, WoW was released over a year later. Why do so many uninformed fans say ToA was in reponse to WoW.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    [mod edit]

Originally posted by dantheman13

Well said.  PA's reaction to the "spamming" is childish at best.  Politicians around the world often get email bombed by pre-written email messages by grassroots organizations.  Such emails have curbed evil things like SOPA and other nasty laws and government policies.  As long as these emails were not automatically generated, which by the sounds of the article there is no proof that they were, PA should have done the responsible thing and taken the emails as a sign of a passionate community that should not be ignored.  Their refusal to cover the game only makes them a questionable and lazy gaming news outlet for me.   

Me spamming an media outlet with say 10 or 100 emails on the same topic with the same content is spam not passion.

edit: case in point, they got the attention they wanted, but the wrong type, if you read the article as well you would also note the editor asked other media outlet contacts if they recieved the same spam and indeed they have all with the same thoughts that they won't give it coverage due to this. Like it or not, again we have spam boxes for a reason. Media outlets are that, media outlets, but you can choose to read/listen/watch those you prefer too, they are not bound by some oath to cover anything, it is their choice. I love PCgamer, I know a few million subcribers that do, but I bet people here can't stand them.

Counterpoint:

It is up to Penny Arcade to put in place a system capable of dealing with such consumer action. That way, fans can be as passionate and organised as they want and PA and co don't have to deal with the negative consequences of such action.

I can see what Ben is saying; it is unpleasant to have to deal with hundreds and hundreds of emails that say the same thing. The problem is that Penny Arcade and other outlets open themselves up to such action by soliciting suggestions, and by broadcasting their contact information for people to use.

The solution isn't to say "the fans of a game have sent us passionate emails that are causing us some issues, so in response to that we're not going to cover that game (and thus punish the business involved)". The business - City State Entertainment - did nothing to PA. PA are in effect boycotting one group of people for the actions of a totally different group of people, even though the group they're boycotting have limited influence over the other group (and did attempt on several occasions to stop the behaviour). That displays a distinct lack of professional courtesy and integrity.

The solution is to say "right, so... we've had this problem before (ed: as the article suggested they have had this problem before), and now we have this problem again. HOW do >WE< deal with this, so that fans can continue to express themselves and we don't have to suffer the negative consequences involved (but can still glean the information we need to provide our readers with the media they want)." That's the right solution, the professional solution, and the solution I'd expect a company worth millions of dollars that has a great deal of experience in dealing with such massive groups of consumers (they organise conventions ffs) to pursue.

Movie studios and various other organisations have come up with a myriad of ways to deal with such consumer action. It's a well documented phenomenon, and several workable (and cost effective) systems have been developed to deal with it. PA and others may not like it, but it comes with the territory (and... again... the article suggests they already knew this).

P.S. I don't care about CU.

What an illogical and nonsensical comparison.  Obviously from your argument, anyone who disagrees with what you believe is childish.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by dantheman13 Originally posted by dotdotdash Counterpoint: It is up to Penny Arcade to put in place a system capable of dealing with such consumer action. That way, fans can be as passionate and organised as they want and PA and co don't have to deal with the negative consequences of such action. I can see what Ben is saying; it is unpleasant to have to deal with hundreds and hundreds of emails that say the same thing. The problem is that Penny Arcade and other outlets open themselves up to such action by soliciting suggestions, and by broadcasting their contact information for people to use. The solution isn't to say "the fans of a game have sent us passionate emails that are causing us some issues, so in response to that we're not going to cover that game (and thus punish the business involved)". The business - City State Entertainment - did nothing to PA. PA are in effect boycotting one group of people for the actions of a totally different group of people, even though the group they're boycotting have limited influence over the other group (and did attempt on several occasions to stop the behaviour). That displays a distinct lack of professional courtesy and integrity. The solution is to say "right, so... we've had this problem before (ed: as the article suggested they have had this problem before), and now we have this problem again. HOW do >WE< deal with this, so that fans can continue to express themselves and we don't have to suffer the negative consequences involved (but can still glean the information we need to provide our readers with the media they want)." That's the right solution, the professional solution, and the solution I'd expect a company worth millions of dollars that has a great deal of experience in dealing with such massive groups of consumers (they organise conventions ffs) to pursue. Movie studios and various other organisations have come up with a myriad of ways to deal with such consumer action. It's a well documented phenomenon, and several workable (and cost effective) systems have been developed to deal with it. PA and others may not like it, but it comes with the territory (and... again... the article suggests they already knew this). P.S. I don't care about CU.
    What an illogical and nonsensical comparison.  Obviously from your argument, anyone who disagrees with what you believe is childish.

I hope you're not including my comments in that assessment; I would have to argue profusely with you if you were.

• Well at least it's different people each sending one e-mail. That's more than can be said for a lot of detractors who claim to have no interest in CU yet endlessly post negativity in the CU forums.
  • Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    I'm more interested in what this says about the current CU community. I'm not sure I want to spend time in a PVP RVR game with a group of nitwits that can't even organize a unique and personal plea to a news outlet for coverage of their holy grail game. Seriously, using form letters or copy/paste email chains is base level stuff. You can only imagine all the crap that would likely go on IN the game. I was moderately excited about CU, now I'm leaning towards the 'pass crowd'.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

But the press HAS been covering this game. Most of it anyway. Almost all MMO sites have, and several PC gaming sites.

And, even PA report is technically covering it. Though it seems petty to say "we're not covering this game because some fans are annoyingly ethusiastic about it." Isn't it their job to report on news?

Originally posted by Axxar
    Well at least it's different people each sending one e-mail. That's more than can be said for a lot of detractors who claim to have no interest in CU yet endlessly post negativity in the CU forums.

Sadly Axxar we have no clue this is true, nor do we really know if it was only 5 people sending 10-100 each , in the end the editor along with those he talked with considered the "amount" given to equal spam, enough so it seems to justfiy an article about it.

• MellozMelloz Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones
    I'm more interested in what this says about the current CU community. I'm not sure I want to spend time in a PVP RVR game with a group of nitwits that can't even organize a unique and personal plea to a news outlet for coverage of their holy grail game. Seriously, using form letters or copy/paste email chains is base level stuff. You can only imagine all the crap that would likely go on IN the game. I was moderately excited about CU, now I'm leaning towards the 'pass crowd'.

lol.  There's single player games for you then I guess.  If you play online, you play with those same nitwits.  Nothing unique to CU.  You'll see the same attitude of any group of people that care about something and need to convince others to share their view.

• KelmantorKelmantor Member Posts: 5

Indeed, this thread does appear rather "civilized" compared to others.

Kuchera makes some nice points about the consequences of fans getting too excited for a game. If we just look at these forums their actions have also hurt CU's reputation. I think its a shame as they only represent a minority of the backers. Hopefully, after the game funds things will settle a bit.. 

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by dotdotdash Counterpoint: It is up to Penny Arcade to put in place a system capable of dealing with such consumer action. That way, fans can be as passionate and organised as they want and PA and co don't have to deal with the negative consequences of such action. I can see what Ben is saying; it is unpleasant to have to deal with hundreds and hundreds of emails that say the same thing. The problem is that Penny Arcade and other outlets open themselves up to such action by soliciting suggestions, and by broadcasting their contact information for people to use. The solution isn't to say "the fans of a game have sent us passionate emails that are causing us some issues, so in response to that we're not going to cover that game (and thus punish the business involved)". The business - City State Entertainment - did nothing to PA. PA are in effect boycotting one group of people for the actions of a totally different group of people, even though the group they're boycotting have limited influence over the other group (and did attempt on several occasions to stop the behaviour). That displays a distinct lack of professional courtesy and integrity. The solution is to say "right, so... we've had this problem before (ed: as the article suggested they have had this problem before), and now we have this problem again. HOW do >WE< deal with this, so that fans can continue to express themselves and we don't have to suffer the negative consequences involved (but can still glean the information we need to provide our readers with the media they want)." That's the right solution, the professional solution, and the solution I'd expect a company worth millions of dollars that has a great deal of experience in dealing with such massive groups of consumers (they organise conventions ffs) to pursue. Movie studios and various other organisations have come up with a myriad of ways to deal with such consumer action. It's a well documented phenomenon, and several workable (and cost effective) systems have been developed to deal with it. PA and others may not like it, but it comes with the territory (and... again... the article suggests they already knew this). P.S. I don't care about CU.

I hope you're not including my comments in that assessment; I would have to argue profusely with you if you were.

If I had, I would have never included his post in the quote.  The usual rule of thumb is that the response is toward the last quote and not previous responses above the quote.

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    Game press? lol they are whining they did not get payed/bribed thats all. If they were not whores they would cover the game already, since they are.. well they want kickback from developer to give them coverage. This si now SOP with all tech press pretty much. As long as CU name gets mentioned.. mission accomplished. In fact negativity produces better clickthrough, like MUCH better in fact
  • dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185
    Thank you for posting this OP enjoyed the article.
  • KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

TOA came out way before WoW, to be fair  October 28, 2003, so that is totaly irreleveant, WoW was released over a year later. Why do so many uninformed fans say ToA was in reponse to WoW.

to be fair he never said they released at the same time, he put them together because both instances saw a huge player drop in daoc.  First with the release of ToA then with the release of WoW....

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

Originally posted by tlear
    Game press? lol they are whining they did not get payed/bribed thats all. If they were not whores they would cover the game already, since they are.. well they want kickback from developer to give them coverage. This si now SOP with all tech press pretty much. As long as CU name gets mentioned.. mission accomplished. In fact negativity produces better clickthrough, like MUCH better in fact

This is actually your opinion on it, no doubt there are coverages that do this, but it's your choice to read it or not, just like this thread or just like joining a kickstarter or playing a particular title. You take the article as that is the interpitation for all business are evil and out to get your money. Meh become a hermit then, as the world revolves around trading of good for funds. You can say this about ANYTHING. So point moot I think.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

to be fair he never said they released at the same time, he put them together because both instances saw a huge player drop in daoc.  First with the release of ToA then with the release of WoW....

To be fair, DAoC was growing in population for over 3 years before any "exodus". Which is more than... literally every AAA MMORPG in the last 7 years can say.

And biggest exodus?? Vanguard, AoC, SWG after NGE, Tabula Rasa, freaking SWTOR, all much bigger.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    "lol. There's single player games for you then I guess. If you play online, you play with those same nitwits. Nothing unique to CU. You'll see the same attitude of any group of people that care about something and need to convince others to share their view."

You miss the point entirely; I thought CU was supposed to be this 'special' game with this 'amazing' community. If, however, it IS TYPICAL as you say... Well, then all the better to 'just pass'.
    Originally posted by Koroshiya

Indeed ToA was the starting decline , WoW put it in the grave. It had all to do with the added grind and added abilties this grind brought to the rvr landscape, in the end many people just couldn't keep up with it, by this time most of my guild (for instance) where working full time and out of highschool or college. So our time was shorter but we where all at the end game playing rvr mostly.

We all screamed for new content, but when it came it was a grind , it was awsome content, but the grind really did it in for us. At least for me and my guild I know that was the case.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Instigator-Jones

These are the backers (actually a subset of those who backed the project) we're talking about here, which is not representive of what the community of a game will be years from now (if it funds); at least no more than the typical venomous fans that exist for every title years before they see completion.

If this sort of "fan" bugs you enough to skip a prospective title, how could you ever play anything?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson