Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well can't say we didn't see this one coming...

chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Warned you guys about all the spam and yet it seems on your thread in the kickstarted your offended by it? Spam gets you one thing, negative responses.

http://penny-arcade.com/report/article/spam-and-kickstarter-how-fans-of-camelot-unchained-made-sure-the-press-woul

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

Comments

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Good read.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

Yup several posters here warned about creating such a backlash with the telemarketing style techniques being emploed by fans.

Still it's not that far away from funding jsut needs one good whale heh.If it does fund they have plenty of time to repair the PR damage done.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by Drakynn

Yup several posters here warned about creating such a backlash with the telemarketing style techniques being emploed by fans.

Still it's not that far away from funding jsut needs one good whale heh.If it does fund they have plenty of time to repair the PR damage done.

Indeed, it looks very passable that they will get this one funded, thou with allot of the negativity I really feel that there will be some huge drop outs near the end. People are just mean sometimes, I hope they get it to a point and in another way I hope they don't get the shaft. In the end, I see this whole project as, "you get what you pay for". The mindset of this particular community is not the one I remember from daoc, crazed, obsessive and just plain scary atm.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    What's funny is since that PA article was posted, the #backers/$pledged has gone up tremendously, so if anything I'd have to thank all the parties involved. =)

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    That's exactly why I didn't back this game.. The CU fanboys started annoying the fuck out of me with their constant spamming of pointless threads and the constant begging.  I'll still play the game when it launches though..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Tuktz
    What's funny is since that PA article was posted, the #backers/$pledged has gone up tremendously, so if anything I'd have to thank all the parties involved. =)

Does A+B=C?

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Ouch.
  • DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479

MJ has even asked the fanatics to basically stfu.

"Morning all I don't have much time right now but please, please stop sending out emails to news sites looking to get us coverage. I appreciate the thoughts but anyone who is doing that now is hurting, not helping, our chance of success with this campaign. So please, once again, stop.;"

• MellozMelloz Member Posts: 26
    fair article IMO.  Pointed out it wasn't CSE's fault.  It's one of the risks of this type of project that people should keep in mind.
  • belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Does A+B=C?

the traffic to mehuge's site had a huge spike, I imagine the KS page did as well. If they pledged or not, hard to say

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    I see it as a couple of fans got a little over zealous with their requests of major gaming sites to offer coverage of CU since they haven't been, and rather than handle it more professionally PA wrote that article in a kind of whiny "anything I don't want to read I consider spam". I mean isn't it editors jobs to sift through stuff to present the news? So in a way it seemed like whining about what they do.....

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• SebaliSebali Member UncommonPosts: 395
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh
    That's exactly why I didn't back this game.. The CU fanboys started annoying the fuck out of me with their constant spamming of pointless threads and the constant begging.  I'll still play the game when it launches though..

i have a horrible feeling this is going to make the GW2 fanboy spamming look like lil school girls antics. we're gonna have years of this CU crap to deal with.

and i have a feeling the game will be just as much of a letdown as GW2 was

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

I’ve spoken to multiple editors about this issue, and they all expressed annoyance at the Camelot Unchained spam, and this has led most of us to not cover the game
    What drivel. Any decent "editor" of a decent website will not refuse to cover a game out of spite. Editors write about what's relevant and what they think readers want. If they don't cover something that they would have previously then the website probably isn't worth reading.

Having said that, mailbombing isn't the best idea in the world.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Zealots are their own worst enemies. Lesson learned.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Eraserhead

I’ve spoken to multiple editors about this issue, and they all expressed annoyance at the Camelot Unchained spam, and this has led most of us to not cover the game
    What drivel. Any decent "editor" of a decent website will not refuse to cover a game out of spite. Editors write about what's relevant and what they think readers want. If they don't cover something that they would have previously then the website probably isn't worth reading.

oh they will still cover it by reporting newsworthy facts everyone posts however what they won't do is go out of their way to spotlight the game or create extra columns for it.

• NegativeXNegativeX Member Posts: 100

PA article is a good one. Written with contructive critism, but also praising CU, MJ and the fanbase.

If anything it has helped the campaign.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage

https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    I see it as a couple of fans got a little over zealous with their requests of major gaming sites to offer coverage of CU since they haven't been, and rather than handle it more professionally PA wrote that article in a kind of whiny "anything I don't want to read I consider spam". I mean isn't it editors jobs to sift through stuff to present the news? So in a way it seemed like whining about what they do.....

Editors can cover whatever they feel is a good story. Problem is the editor is also still a human being. I know that most people don't like to be spammed about the same thing over and over again. You create a sour taste in their mouth because the first thing that comes up is the spam emails from over zealous fans, which in turn leads to early bias and bad publicity. They have every right to complain about it, in so doing people may get the message and stop. This is what you get when you try to force someone to cover your game. If the game does launch though they will need to do an overhaul on their PR.

• nf4mousnf4mous Member Posts: 45

backwards logic coming from the OP and other proven CU haters.

PA hasn't covered the kickstarter for the entire month, and clearly wasn't going to as of a few hours ago.  yet it took one dedicated fan to "force" them to write a lengthy article with plenty of information.

good job, whoever it was that "spammed" them.

• david06david06 Member Posts: 183

Ben Kuchera? Yeah, after that massive hissy fit he threw over Erik Kain awhile back I don't hold a very high opinion of him.

He's basically complaining that fans sent him a bunch of emails.

I'm in for $25. If it funds, then great. If not, then better luck next time.

• DahkohtDahkoht Member UncommonPosts: 479
    Originally posted by Sebali
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

i have a horrible feeling this is going to make the GW2 fanboy spamming look like lil school girls antics. we're gonna have years of this CU crap to deal with.

and i have a feeling the game will be just as much of a letdown as GW2 was

I've said in other threads this is the first group I've seen to surpass the early beta Vanguard fanatics and McQuaid worshippers.

I thought I'd never see that surpassed.

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953
    Originally posted by Eraserhead

We are all people, regular people, if you got that spam and had editorial power, trust me you would do the same thing. All you have to do is realize that pretty much we are all human beings. Each of us have our "opinions", but in the world of media who get bombarded with request daily, seeing repeated "spam" hit their in box, yeah that's a big red flag. We have spam boxes for a reason. Hey don't take me wrong, I hope they get their game, I have said in the past I don't for I worry what will come is not what everyone in this kickstarter would want and it's only going to be bad. This example of spam is a prime example of expectations, I would dread being in Mark's shoes atm. I have a feeling he might be thinking the same.

• dotdotdashdotdotdash Member UncommonPosts: 488

Counterpoint:

It is up to Penny Arcade to put in place a system capable of dealing with such consumer action. That way, fans can be as passionate and organised as they want and PA and co don't have to deal with the negative consequences of such action.

I can see what Ben is saying; it is unpleasant to have to deal with hundreds and hundreds of emails that say the same thing. The problem is that Penny Arcade and other outlets open themselves up to such action by soliciting suggestions, and by broadcasting their contact information for people to use.

The solution isn't to say "the fans of a game have sent us passionate emails that are causing us some issues, so in response to that we're not going to cover that game (and thus punish the business involved)". The business - City State Entertainment - did nothing to PA. PA are in effect boycotting one group of people for the actions of a totally different group of people, even though the group they're boycotting have limited influence over the other group (and did attempt on several occasions to stop the behaviour). That displays a distinct lack of professional courtesy and integrity.

The solution is to say "right, so... we've had this problem before (ed: as the article suggested they have had this problem before), and now we have this problem again. HOW do >WE< deal with this, so that fans can continue to express themselves and we don't have to suffer the negative consequences involved (but can still glean the information we need to provide our readers with the media they want)." That's the right solution, the professional solution, and the solution I'd expect a company worth millions of dollars that has a great deal of experience in dealing with such massive groups of consumers (they organise conventions ffs) to pursue.

Movie studios and various other organisations have come up with a myriad of ways to deal with such consumer action. It's a well documented phenomenon, and several workable (and cost effective) systems have been developed to deal with it. PA and others may not like it, but it comes with the territory (and... again... the article suggests they already knew this).

P.S. I don't care about CU.

• RzepRzep Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Good article. I have actively avoided ever looking at the games Kickstarter page cause I had enough of it after countless people kept nagging others on every forum to support it.
  • KoroshiyaKoroshiya Member UncommonPosts: 265

not a rabid CU fan, was a rabid DAoC fan but I haven't emailed anyone or backed them yet.... 

with that said, I agree here and it might just get me to support CU even if only at 25 dollar level.  Penny Arcade, quit your whining.  You are in existance today because of gamers who have the kinda passion CU gamers do.  If you don't like dealing with end user spam, don't get involved in the industry.  It's a freaking given that most gamers who care enough to email sometimes will go overboard.  Anyone who works in the industry knows, if they get important enough, will have to deal with this kind of situation.  Maybe they should stick to just writing comics then and not reviewing games or having a website.

“The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off , why should I. Light up the darkness” – Bob Marley

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147
    I didn't back CU for this very reason. And I love games like this.
    Was a hard choice.

Do hope people learned their lesson and that goes for mmorpg.com as well.