Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Really Enjoyng the Game but the Cash Shop is soooooo Expensive!!

Comments

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    A good f2p setup should have a sub option that works out cheaper if you play a lot.

That's not really the setup there going for here, although I agree with that option.

Most games that do that are failed subscription games. Their f2p options is bascially a, 'free 2 try', method that makes it a better deal to subscribe if you want better access to the game.

NW is setup to maximise a heavy investment from a smaller playerbase, much like every other PW game. I guess they figure it's more profitable to have 2,000 people spending 40-60bucks a month then say 20,000 maybe only subbing.

PW have been very successful with this business model. Personally I think it's a shitty burden on the dedicated few who play substandard- turned- around- in- two years- products, were most of the dev time is taken up creating new cash shop barriers,but that's not really news is it?

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by plescure

and i know what ppls first comeback will be "so dont use it then!"

the problem is the game is very clever in manipulating you to use it. with my founders pack i got a 200 stack of healthstones! brillaint. got me out of so many scrapes! go to buy more ....1.5k zen (about £11) Loads of lovely loot dropping all the time, the 2 bags i get with the game are constantly full in no time so i either got to the vendor every 20 mins or go buy a new bag....... 1k zen!! thats like £7.50 in RL money! for a bag!

i know you can sell astral diamonds for zen but at the current exchange rate, if i sold all of my diamonds i got with my founder pack (600k) i would get about 1200 zen. its not much!

The game is really good. thouroughly enjoying it. Its just a shame my sphincter hurts so much from the constant shafting that Cryptic are giving me!

A few questions if I may ask?

Healthstones: Only available in the cashshop or founderpack? Or can they be aquired by playing? as loot? craft? buy them ingame from NPC's with ingame money/credits?

Bags: Are there only bags to store items in?, no banks or vaults?

Do you really need all that loot and other things?

I often find myself with very limited bag/inventory space at the beginning of almost all MMORPG or RPG's, mainly because in the beginning I still need to find out the difference between what I really need at that moment or safe up for later. And often end up not needing half of all things I have collected later in the game.

I do wonder does the game infact force you to acces their cashshop or is the player him or her self forcing the cashshop upon themself due to being somewhat impatient?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Reklaw

<snip>

The game is really good. thouroughly enjoying it. Its just a shame my sphincter hurts so much from the constant shafting that Cryptic are giving me!

<snip>

I do wonder does the game infact force you to acces their cashshop or is the player him or her self forcing the cashshop upon themself due to being somewhat impatient?

Of course it is the player that convinces themselves they "have to" buy things from the shop. Unless thise things can only be bought in the shop, that is.

But developers like PW have had plenty of experience with Cash Shop incentivizing by now. Game metrics are analysed intensively and datamined to determine the optimal tolerances and average player actions.

So if 50% of players buy item X at price Y rather than grind 3 weeks for it, you have a clear price point. Now you can raise the grind time (and the cash price), but then you may sell fewer items. Or you can extend the grind and LOWER the price slightly after the first month of gameplay. Suddenly the item looks like a total bargain !

In many of these F2P games, I'm convinced the developers have far more fun adjusting and fine-tuning the Cash Shop monetization than they do actually developing the game.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Learn to embrace the idea that good things come to those that wait... I know the microwave was a godsend, but in reality, you get the same food out of an oven, it only takes longer to prepare/cook.

Practice a little discipline... try to play the game without using the cash shops... I know it's a real challenge to have to vendor items every so often, but it's a tried and true method.  All it costs is time.  And just what are you after here?  A way to pass the time away.  If you wanted to do something productive, you'd wash the car, do the laundry, paint the house, or earn an extra degree.  Games are time wasters... buying things in cash shops saves time but it is in direct opposition to what you are trying to do in game, which is to pass time away.

All I hear is someone trying to get there fast... the "there" isn't going anywhere, are you?

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by pmiles

Learn to embrace the idea that good things come to those that wait... I know the microwave was a godsend, but in reality, you get the same food out of an oven, it only takes longer to prepare/cook.

Practice a little discipline... try to play the game without using the cash shops... I know it's a real challenge to have to vendor items every so often, but it's a tried and true method.  All it costs is time.  And just what are you after here?  A way to pass the time away.  If you wanted to do something productive, you'd wash the car, do the laundry, paint the house, or earn an extra degree.  Games are time wasters... buying things in cash shops saves time but it is in direct opposition to what you are trying to do in game, which is to pass time away.

All I hear is someone trying to get there fast... the "there" isn't going anywhere, are you?

food cooked in  a microwave is generally inferior to oven cooked food.. in both taste, and appearance. image

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I'll be playing the game as soon as they let the rabble in. And I'll be playing as a complete freeloader with no pre-order "founder's pack" or any other advantage.

It will be interesting to see just how long I can last before I have to make the decision: "Pay or Quit"

Some stuff in the cash shop isn't too expensive - character slots are around $6 for 2.  A 24 slot bag is around $10.  The expensive stuff like the best mounts and companions can wait as I feel they're outlandishly priced.  Still you can play for fairly cheap if you take the slower road.

I don't mind if some things are expensive, but it means I'll buy things less often, not spend more.  I spend about $40 - $80 every 6 months on a game I'm playing.  If items are priced around that then I buy less or don't buy at all.

I do feel obligated to support games I play, but I don't feel obligated to throw my money at them.

I'm usually quite free-spending if I'm playing a game that I enjoy. The only reason why I'm being tightfisted with Neverwinter is because I'm not at all sure if I'll actually enjoy it. If it had been B2P or P2P without a trial, I'd not even be posting in these forums.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by lickm3

If you have played any p2p game like WoW don't you have to pay each month 15bucks for it ? So there you spend let's say 45bucks and you can play the rest of your life for free. Also you don't need to pay any stupid game box / expassion. Those threads are pathetic.

edit: remember, no one works for free and I bet that you too. When some devs put their time into it they want be paye'd. You can do only two things - If you don't like the cash shop, stop playing it. Or play it as a complety free user without spending any money into it. It would be still a good game.

Well you are 100% correct,it is stil lVERY misleading to use the F2p title or give players the assumptio nthey ar not paying as much or maybe more.

Yes of couirse they are to be paid,but you know what,many of us prefer the straight up front cost,no hidden BS.

Think of it like buying  a car.We all know they are not giving cars away for free but imagine they pretend to dell you one for 5k,you go grab a car,then they want 20k insurance waiver to take it off the lot.Another 10 k for the actual key ,ignition has a security code,need another 10k for that .Oh you want the air conditioning and windows to work,another 10k.Oh btw the steeering wheel is locked another 10k.Wipers won't work another 10k.Oh ya transmission is locked ,another 10k.oh you wanted a motor ..lol another 50k.

I think we would rahter just have the car work as intended when we buy it,no hidden costs,any other pay plan is very misleading.

What if the car is ok but only worth say 5k , however if they let you drive the car for free for a while you find that it is annoying having no wipers espeically when its raining , so you pay 2k for some wipers .  Then after a while you find that the trunk is just not big enough to store things so you buy a trailer for the car which costs another 5k . 

Time passes and you see your friends riding around in red sports cars ,  it just so happens there is a spoiler kit for the car you have for a mere 5k and also a pair job is only 2k .   

Guess what you just spent 14k on a car you wouldve only paid 5k for . Damn

• kamiyadorikamiyadori Member Posts: 14

Forgot Quote ~~

• kamiyadorikamiyadori Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Wow nice repsonses in here! I guess this is the level of people who play these kind of games?

I guess just one more reason to quit this game and avoid it at all costs.

At the OP. I agree! I made a topic yesterday about the EXACT same thing!

Just be prepared to get flamed to death.

I paid 56 euros for the Guardian pack and spend some money on keys.

But lo and behold.... I am flamed for bieng a freeloader complaining about cash shop prices and how ingame stuff practically forces you into the Cash Shop. lol.

I play for example Guardian and the T3 companion to go for is the T3 healer companion, which was to be my primary goal to get, as it would complement my character best.

Now here comes the kicker. This T3 companion costs ingame at the vendor 360 Ardent Coins. It's the only one available and the only way to get it.

For people's information. You can get 1 single Ardent Coin a day, by using Invoke prayer at a rest spot.

So you will have to login for a total of 360 days to collect 360 Ardent Coins to be able to buy this T3 healer companion.

But no worries... I am sure Cryptic will put this companion (or a comparable one) in the Zen store soon for a nice PREMIUM price of 40 bucks PER character!

It's stuff like this, which seems to be the typical F2P tactics that really turn me off from these games.

Can you not just rnjoy the game without worrying about the shop? I am doing it and no worries yet. Everything Can be earned in the game that can be bough on the shop. Yes it wil take more time but so what? You wants to fast track everything. I play games to pass time, the longer they take me the better. 

And I highly doubt they are going to put the  RAREST companion on the ZEN market. Hell, Did you know if you miss 7 days without invocation you loose all your Ardent coins. The Companion is an incentive to keep playing the game, they are not going to sell it for cash. 

• kriminal66kriminal66 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Originally posted by Grailer

If you have played any p2p game like WoW don't you have to pay each month 15bucks for it ? So there you spend let's say 45bucks and you can play the rest of your life for free. Also you don't need to pay any stupid game box / expassion. Those threads are pathetic.

edit: remember, no one works for free and I bet that you too. When some devs put their time into it they want be paye'd. You can do only two things - If you don't like the cash shop, stop playing it. Or play it as a complety free user without spending any money into it. It would be still a good game.

Well you are 100% correct,it is stil lVERY misleading to use the F2p title or give players the assumptio nthey ar not paying as much or maybe more.

Yes of couirse they are to be paid,but you know what,many of us prefer the straight up front cost,no hidden BS.

Think of it like buying  a car.We all know they are not giving cars away for free but imagine they pretend to dell you one for 5k,you go grab a car,then they want 20k insurance waiver to take it off the lot.Another 10 k for the actual key ,ignition has a security code,need another 10k for that .Oh you want the air conditioning and windows to work,another 10k.Oh btw the steeering wheel is locked another 10k.Wipers won't work another 10k.Oh ya transmission is locked ,another 10k.oh you wanted a motor ..lol another 50k.

I think we would rahter just have the car work as intended when we buy it,no hidden costs,any other pay plan is very misleading.

What if the car is ok but only worth say 5k , however if they let you drive the car for free for a while you find that it is annoying having no wipers espeically when its raining , so you pay 2k for some wipers .  Then after a while you find that the trunk is just not big enough to store things so you buy a trailer for the car which costs another 5k . 

Time passes and you see your friends riding around in red sports cars ,  it just so happens there is a spoiler kit for the car you have for a mere 5k and also a pair job is only 2k .   

actually wouldnt the car be 19k   5k for car 14k for parts and trailor

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

My advice: Play the game and do NOT buy from the cash shop. If people are vocal and they aren't getting many purchases, hopefully it will wise them up that the cash shop is far to unreasonable. I'm assuming they are mostly trying to cash in on early excitement in order to rake in cash before probably trying to 'sell' by using sales or other things to draw attention to purchase goods. 

They NEED to lower the prices for sure if they hope to garnish customers. They have a good game, they just unfortunately don't seem to realize that if you overcharge for stuff, your going to make far less since less people will bother to pay.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

the problem is the game is very clever in manipulating you to use it. with my founders pack i got a 200 stack of healthstones! brillaint. got me out of so many scrapes! go to buy more ....1.5k zen (about £11) Loads of lovely loot dropping all the time, the 2 bags i get with the game are constantly full in no time so i either got to the vendor every 20 mins or go buy a new bag....... 1k zen!! thats like £7.50 in RL money! for a bag!

i know you can sell astral diamonds for zen but at the current exchange rate, if i sold all of my diamonds i got with my founder pack (600k) i would get about 1200 zen. its not much!

First of all don't pre-purcharse virtual items in games!  I would advise to generally stop pre-ordering & pre-purcharsing anything. 

Secondly.   There is nothing for free.   Either game companies will try to charge you with fixed amount of money - like game purcharse in 'single player' games,  fixed amount of susbciption same for everyone - in pure p2p games or big amount of continous small purcharses in cash shop like Neverwitner do.   You have to decide what you like more.   Hoping that most game developers will offer very small and very cheap cash shops is naive.

• EquintinEquintin Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Game is awsome,F2P SUCKS point.

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by kriminal66
    Originally posted by Grailer

actually wouldnt the car be 19k   5k for car 14k for parts and trailor

Yeah but the point is if given the choice ,  people would rather take the free car over paying 19k  right ?

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by pmiles

Microwaves are a thing of the past.

Induction cooking plates were a true godsend!  I can cook excellent food in under 30 minutes.

Better than all that premade vacuum packed crap for microwaves.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

How obtrusive is the cash shop really?

As in how much do they try to get you into the actual shop?

Is it like most bloody facebook games that at almost every point tries to open the "gem" shop and sell you crap?

I kind of like cash shops if they are low key and do not try to nickle and dime me at every opportunity.

I do not mind spending quite a bit of cash on things like this, given that the goods are kind of worth it.

But if they run for my wallet every time I try to open a menu then I am out, if there ever was an immersion killer in MMO's then that is the one!

That being said, I am considering going for the founders package, will they stop selling that once the games goes open beta tonight?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Umbrood

How obtrusive is the cash shop really?

As in how much do they try to get you into the actual shop?

Is it like most bloody facebook games that at almost every point tries to open the "gem" shop and sell you crap?

I kind of like cash shops if they are low key and do not try to nickle and dime me at every opportunity.

I do not mind spending quite a bit of cash on things like this, given that the goods are kind of worth it.

But if they run for my wallet every time I try to open a menu then I am out, if there ever was an immersion killer in MMO's then that is the one!

That being said, I am considering going for the founders package, will they stop selling that once the games goes open beta tonight?

You can play the entire game without spending a cent. If you dont go looking in the Zen shop, the only thing that will remind you of its existance are the lockbox drops.

The end game was tested with no cash shop items.

Its probably the best designed true F2P game (that wasnt originally launched as P2P) around. You can play the whole thing with no restrictions. Cash shop is for vanity and convenience.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by evilastro

You can play the entire game without spending a cent. If you dont go looking in the Zen shop, the only thing that will remind you of its existance are the lockbox drops.

Its probably the best designed true F2P game (that wasnt originally launched as P2P) around. You can play the whole thing with no restrictions. Cash shop is for vanity and convenience.

If that is correct then that is good news to me.

And I do not mind vanity and convenience, I am both of those things. ;)

I just do not want it showed in my face at every turn.

Thank you.

Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Umbrood
    Originally posted by evilastro

If that is correct then that is good news to me.

And I do not mind vanity and convenience, I am both of those things. ;)

I just do not want it showed in my face at every turn.

Thank you.

It's not entirely true. If you are not a hardcore gamer that plays huge amounts of hours.... then looking at the various ingame vendors is sertainly going to be off putting for a good many people.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

It's a fun game and the cash shop doesn't bother me. If there is something I want and i can get it by playing the game that just means I have incentive to achieve it and really enjoy it when I get it. The only problem is time and I am patient with my games because it is my hobby.

I don't rush to get to max level or see all content because the game is then over for me (unless there is RP but that is not vey often) so having long term goals is fine. I guess to the impatient or people that are bashing buttons for the rewards might not like it though.

So while I understand for people that NEED these things it is expensive but for people like me that enjoy playing the game for the fun of playing it is just fine.

If you have the money spend it, if you have the time spend it. But please don't complain about it because that is pointless for you and annoying for us.

• SimonVDHSimonVDH Member Posts: 178
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    A good f2p setup should have a sub option that works out cheaper if you play a lot.

I agree with this. 

Now "should" is very subjective, though. From the business perspective, I don't know. There are a lot of variables.

From my perspective, I'm happy to pay a sub for a good game. In fact, I prefer it. I basically think f2p should be a trial for a sub, or a way for people who can't afford a sub to play a bit. 

I hate cash shops in MMOs. There is no way that I play a game with real money shop and, insterad of enjoying the game, I constantly browse the shop and think about what should/shouldn't I buy and how much money I can/want to spend. This is so immersion, and fun, breaking, that it defeats the point of playing the game at all.

Just yesterday, I've downloaded SWtOR to try it again, after playing for 3 weeks since release. I wouldn't ever consider it if there was no subscription option.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by ZedTheRock

Told myself I wasn't going to use it but damn if I've not dropped $200 on Zen.  Its nice to have a little bit of disposable inclome but I need to temper my wants LOL.  From now on its only stuff I need.

LOL, yeah, this would likely be me, I have more income than free time or patience, and like someone else said I hate leaving loot behind (or going back to town frequently) so I'm sure I'd be buying maximum bag/warehouse space right at the start.  (though I despise when games "rent" those to you, rather than sell it outright)

And in the past I've purchased mounts from cash shops if they were available to new players (see EQ2) while purely cosmetic items really have no appeal. 

I wouldn't mind P2W items if they were cheap enough that most everyone could spend like 15.00 a month and obtain them, but in the few games I've run into them players are spending anywheres from $600 to $8000 US and that of course limits it to a select small crowd and is out of my range.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

lol yea now that we have cash shop in place I actually did the math and the founder pack they were telling us had a value of $750 actually has a value around $130. 

But honestly they knew they were lying to us when they sold it to us.

Originally posted by psiic

lol yea now that we have cash shop in place I actually did the math and the founder pack they were telling us had a value of $750 actually has a value around $130. 

And you knew they knew they were lying....

You didn't REALLY believe they'd genuinely give you $750 worth of stuff for a mere $199, did you ?

Besides, the "value" of these packs is whatever PW/Cryptic decide it is.

If they say a new mount is worth $500, but you can buy it at the low, low price of just $50, how can you say they're lying ? image

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by psiic

And you knew they knew they were lying....

You didn't REALLY believe they'd genuinely give you $750 worth of stuff for a mere $199, did you ?

Besides, the "value" of these packs is whatever PW/Cryptic decide it is.

If they say a new mount is worth $500, but you can buy it at the low, low price of just $50, how can you say they're lying ? image

LOL and if you order right now we will throw in this free set of steak knives as our free gift to you... god your response made me laugh.