Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"the glass is too big"

itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

the title is refering to the third option to the glass-partially-full deal.  the pessimist sees the glass half empty; the optimist sees it half full.  but the realist says "the glass is too big".

this is my opinion of the CU kickstarter... which btw i have backed at the 25 buck level.

i've heard many reasons as to why it will, or wont hit its goal.  could it just be that the 2 million goal was too lofty?  we'd already be above a 1.5million goal; and even lord british set his goal at 1m.  perhaps if the goal were 1m we would have already gotten 2m... because people might not be pledging if they see the goal is unlikely to be reached.

kickstarter and crowd funding are so new, that people have not yet found the way that their expectations actually affect the outcomes... i bet someone with a math-ish brain (perhaps with a psychology degree...) will figure it out soon though.

i still hope it'll pass.....

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

Comments

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

1.8m should come in easily in the next 2 days...but 2m :/ it gonna be hard...shes building momentum though.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Yeah, I've mentioned this a number of times.  I still think they would have been better off asking for a lower initial amount and then continuing to raise funds via stretch goals over the duration of the game's development.  If it has alreay raised as much as it has, it would definitely have continued to exceed 2m over time.  As it stands now, if it does not fund it goes nowhere.  That said, I'm not really sure one way or the other; if the game does get a surge like many other projects have in the past it will be fine.

Originally posted by redcapp
    Yeah, I've mentioned this a number of times.  I still think they would have been better off asking for a lower initial amount and then continuing to raise funds via stretch goals over the duration of the game's development.  If it has alreay raised as much as it has, it would definitely have continued to exceed 2m over time.  As it stands now, if it does not fund it goes nowhere.  That said, I'm not really sure one way or the other; if the game does get a surge like many other projects have in the past it will be fine.

Yea i agree, i think people might be wary of pledging a project that may not reach its goal because they think they will loose they're money or something...not fully understanding kickstarter.

SKYeXile

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I think pass or fail the kickstarter did a good job of gauging the potential market for the game.  Perhaps try again when more concrete information is available instead of the current "give us money as we pull stuff out of thin air"  method going on now.

If this kickstarter not passing is enough for MJ and crew to scrap the whole idea when they're just shy of the goal than perhaps it isn't worth enough to invest in on my side.

Raising 75% + of your (rather large) goal with so little information should be enough motive to continue working on the project for a few more months and renew the campaign when there is more meat to it.

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062

Yeah I feel the same way.  They should have just gone with 1 - 1.5 million.  Its too bad now, because who knows if it will get funded at 2 mill.  I wonder if 2 mill was the bare minimum they needed, it must have been or they wouldn't have done it.

But if 2 mill is above the minimum they needed they should have just made it a stretch goal instead of the starting figure.  But yeah i agree with the OP, make it 1 mill or 1.5 mill.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • LawtoweenLawtoween Member UncommonPosts: 103

This is my first kickstarter, so I am learning as we go.  It was my impression that after the 30 days, pledging is over, no more, cease, desist, all done.  Is that not the case?  Or by development, are you only referring to the kickstarter phase?

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Lawtoween

This is my first kickstarter, so I am learning as we go.  It was my impression that after the 30 days, pledging is over, no more, cease, desist, all done.  Is that not the case?  Or by development, are you only referring to the kickstarter phase?

After a successful kickstarter a lot of devs still accept paypal or 'pledge boosts' through kickstarter.  You have to reach your goal on KS, but after the deadline you can still accept money off the record so to speak.

• TuktzTuktz Member Posts: 299
    Three days is still a lot of time to go from 83% to 100%. I still think it'll make it. Heck if all backers pledged another  measley 30$ it would fund.

MMO history - EVE GW2 SWTOR RIFT WAR COH/V EQ2 WOW DAOC
    Tuktz - http://www.heretic.shivtr.com/

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by itchmon

the title is refering to the third option to the glass-partially-full deal.  the pessimist sees the glass half empty; the optimist sees it half full.  but the realist says "the glass is too big".

this is my opinion of the CU kickstarter... which btw i have backed at the 25 buck level.

i've heard many reasons as to why it will, or wont hit its goal.  could it just be that the 2 million goal was too lofty?  we'd already be above a 1.5million goal; and even lord british set his goal at 1m.  perhaps if the goal were 1m we would have already gotten 2m... because people might not be pledging if they see the goal is unlikely to be reached.

kickstarter and crowd funding are so new, that people have not yet found the way that their expectations actually affect the outcomes... i bet someone with a math-ish brain (perhaps with a psychology degree...) will figure it out soon though.

George Carlin said the glass is too big.  The glass is full is the realist answer.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by itchmon the title is refering to the third option to the glass-partially-full deal.  the pessimist sees the glass half empty; the optimist sees it half full.  but the realist says "the glass is too big".   this is my opinion of the CU kickstarter... which btw i have backed at the 25 buck level.   i've heard many reasons as to why it will, or wont hit its goal.  could it just be that the 2 million goal was too lofty?  we'd already be above a 1.5million goal; and even lord british set his goal at 1m.  perhaps if the goal were 1m we would have already gotten 2m... because people might not be pledging if they see the goal is unlikely to be reached.   kickstarter and crowd funding are so new, that people have not yet found the way that their expectations actually affect the outcomes... i bet someone with a math-ish brain (perhaps with a psychology degree...) will figure it out soon though.   i still hope it'll pass.....
     George Carlin said the glass is too big.  The glass is full is the realist answer.

while you're arguing about if the glass if half full, half empty, too big or too small, i took your glass of water. [mod edit]

SKYeXile

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by itchmon

The glass is mostly empty, regardless of the gases and fluids within. ;)

• tropiktropik Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Kickstarters have huge peaks on the first and last day so i'm thinking it will pass. It says on the kickstarter page that 81% of projects that raised more than 20% of their goal were successfully funded.
  • Duvall_LoboDuvall_Lobo Member Posts: 10
    There is always that pest 19%. It will be close.

wtf 20k already not even 2 hours into today with only 33 backers, do the maths.

SKYeXile

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I too believe it would have been done even better at a lower funding goal with more stretch goals. People would have gotten excited when it funded and those on the fence would have wanted to get in on the action once they knew the game was going to happen. Still it has a good chance of funding anyway, so there's not much point in debating what ifs yet.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    if its close, I am sure some "insider" can kick it over and they can recop it via after funding
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by skyexile

All the high tier pledges are taken, you do the math and tell us how many actual people need to pledge at the lower tiers to hit the target?

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• Originally posted by Zinzan

All the high tier pledges are taken, you do the math and tell us how many actual people need to pledge at the lower tiers to hit the target?

I think it's more than five.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Zinzan

The top 4 tiers were all 100% sold, but then a new tier suddenly opened at $3,251. And 5 out of the 10 spots in that tier were sold within hours of the tier opening.

I don't really know the KS rules, but it appears that new tiers can be added when needed, so there's no danger of the top tiers being "sold-out" unless MJ wants them to be so.

• ZiftylrhavicZiftylrhavic Member Posts: 222
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko
    Originally posted by Zinzan

The top 4 tiers were all 100% sold, but then a new tier suddenly opened at $3,251. And 5 out of the 10 spots in that tier were sold within hours of the tier opening.

I don't really know the KS rules, but it appears that new tiers can be added when needed, so there's no danger of the top tiers being "sold-out" unless MJ wants them to be so.

Regardless of what tier is still available, you can give $10 000 (which i believe is the maximum you can pledge) and take the $5 tier.

Is the glass half full or half empty? It depend on the situation. If you are filling it it's half full, if you are drinking it it's half empty.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Yea i agree, i think people might be wary of pledging a project that may not reach its goal because they think they will loose they're money or something...not fully understanding kickstarter.

I realize it's somewhat self defeating, but I'm in this category, not because I'm concerned that I'll lose money (you should never pledge what you can't afford to lose) rather I'm just not going to spend the time (however small) to go through the process of pledging if, as you said, it's not likely to fund. 

Couple that with the fact I'm really only considering supporting the game based on the fact I like the principles behind this sort of user funded effort, and am not in fact all that excited about the actual game due to some of it's core design features. 

So sure, if it's close, I'll toss in some cash in the final day or so to help out, but otherwise I'll sit it out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DaizeddDaizedd Member Posts: 142

OP says: "The glass is too big"

Nope, its just right... 

See you on the backers forums if you backed, cuz this baby's gonna fund.