Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The depths, what if?

tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

What would you guys think of a couple of static battleground zones (seperate from the main world, non instanced) were used to decide who controlls the depths, or perhaps another dungeon similar to the depths?

Like Thidranki from DAoC.

Thidranki was basicly useless in the grand sceme of things in DAoC, but in my personal oppinion it was one of my favorite parts of DAoC.

For those that don't know, thidranki was a static zone, all 3 realms could teleport to it, they all had a starting area, and there was one capurable keep in the center. The zone never reset at all, whoever owned the keep kept it till it was taken over.

It was just an absolute blast. The zone wasn't huge, but just big enough to have roaming 8 man groups that would always run into eachother at some point. It had a river and some bridges, was just really cool.

I'm sure it wont happen or anything, but I kinda think it may be a good idea to have something like this in the game, even if it doesn't have any impact on the rest of the world at all.

One huge advantage of something like this would be, during low population hours, say 4am for instance, the people online would have a place to go for an action packed night, even if there were just a few soloers, or a couple 4-5 mans runniing.

If we have a huge game world, during off hours, people may have a real hard time finding others to kill. Maybe the depths will solve this issue in itself, I have no idea. I do know that people may not want to just grab 4-5 people that are online and try to siege someone's main city while nobody is around to defend, not all the time.

Anyway just a thought.

And for the record I am 110% against instances, or crappy capture the flag pvp like WoW has.

Please CU, I beg you to never, never, ever make PvP mini games with things like capture the flag, king of the hill, any of that stuff like WoW and Warhammer had.

That is not PvP.

Comments

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397

You seriously just say you want to lowbies controlling who gets access to the depths? NO good god

The depths will be a major fighting point to battle for in this game. Has to be a focus of big boy rvr.

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• HjamnrHjamnr Member Posts: 163

No.

Other than the "entry-level" "noob learnin zone", there should be no "battlegrounds".  They would only detract from the real game.

• DeviDemonDeviDemon Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by Hjamnr

No.

Other than the "entry-level" "noob learnin zone", there should be no "battlegrounds".  They would only detract from the real game.

^This.

If anything was to make me withdraw my pledge it would be having BG's and especially BG's that determine control of anything outside the BG.

I am really sick of instanced PVP and what you're suggesting is just as bad imo as it is still separate from the main world..

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by taurak

What would you guys think of a couple of static battleground zones (seperate from the main world, non instanced) were used to decide who controlls the depths, or perhaps another dungeon similar to the depths?

Like Thidranki from DAoC.

Thidranki was basicly useless in the grand sceme of things in DAoC, but in my personal oppinion it was one of my favorite parts of DAoC.

For those that don't know, thidranki was a static zone, all 3 realms could teleport to it, they all had a starting area, and there was one capurable keep in the center. The zone never reset at all, whoever owned the keep kept it till it was taken over.

It was just an absolute blast. The zone wasn't huge, but just big enough to have roaming 8 man groups that would always run into eachother at some point. It had a river and some bridges, was just really cool.

I'm sure it wont happen or anything, but I kinda think it may be a good idea to have something like this in the game, even if it doesn't have any impact on the rest of the world at all.

One huge advantage of something like this would be, during low population hours, say 4am for instance, the people online would have a place to go for an action packed night, even if there were just a few soloers, or a couple 4-5 mans runniing.

If we have a huge game world, during off hours, people may have a real hard time finding others to kill. Maybe the depths will solve this issue in itself, I have no idea. I do know that people may not want to just grab 4-5 people that are online and try to siege someone's main city while nobody is around to defend, not all the time.

Anyway just a thought.

And for the record I am 110% against instances, or crappy capture the flag pvp like WoW has.

Please CU, I beg you to never, never, ever make PvP mini games with things like capture the flag, king of the hill, any of that stuff like WoW and Warhammer had.

That is not PvP.

You say that you are against instancing, but thats really exactly what this is.

I'm honestly tired of it in other games and wouldnt want to see it here.  If they use any sort of battlegrounds I'm forced to grind them just because its inherently faster to kill people in a smaller area.  It becomes a job that everyone has to do, and then since everyone is already in there grinding, the people who arent have to go in there as well just to have people to kill.

There is no need for them to exist just for low population times of the day.  People will find areas to congregate around.  And there will be plenty of lesser things to do other than trying to take a whole town.  Plenty of possibilities in between standing around doing nothing and a massive invasion.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I am very happy a DAOC style BG will be in the game (confirmed by Mark this weekend), but no it shouldn't decide who controls The Depths. It's just a fun place for low level toons to play to hone their skills before they are ready to RvR for real.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

I don't really consider it an instance, as it never resets.

More like a "zone" like old school DAoC or Everquest had Zones, that never reset.

And I din't mean for low level players. I meant a Thidranki for all level players, considering it will be horizontal leveling, it wont matter too much if they are new or old players.

• CU_now_pleaseCU_now_please Member Posts: 47
    Originally posted by Hjamnr

No.

/anon

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    LMAO, battlegrounds 
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    This is a great idea.. for exactly what not to do.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Originally posted by taurak

I don't really consider it an instance, as it never resets.

More like a "zone" like old school DAoC or Everquest had Zones, that never reset.

And I din't mean for low level players. I meant a Thidranki for all level players, considering it will be horizontal leveling, it wont matter too much if they are new or old players.

I'm not getting this.  Don't you realize that's what the whole entire open world is going to be for?  All an isolated zone would do is segment the population, significantly moreso if it was the only way to activate the depths.  Ugh, what a terrible idea.

• Duvall_LoboDuvall_Lobo Member Posts: 10
    At the least, I am sure they will have areas where more experienced (high level) toons will not be able to harass less experience (lower level) toons. Some way to make sure high level guys are not griefing the lower levels.

As MJ has said lower level toons will be able, as a collective group, take on a high level toon.
  • BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

Nope hehe

What i would love to see is having different kind of structures / places / mines etc where each type have an impact on a certain type of things :

i.e : religious temples (a.k.a. to some people as Relics, but i see more than relics for CU, thats for the backers forums :-)   ) affecting buffs, heals etc

: keeps affecting combat bonuses (some melee, some combat each keep influencing 1 type of damage dealing)

: mines affecting "crafter" bonuses

and the combination of all them giving access to The Depths

it would bring so much depth (lol) in the game, would give a purpose to OWNING and KEEPING those buildings, instead of having the back n forth capture/loss for instant gratification.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR