Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do Devs not listen to their players

itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Why do Devs not listen to their players? -- an angry goblin engineer perspective.

I recently was shown by a friend who still plays this game the mounts available and my blood pressure shot up. One of the reasons why I left this game was due to the devs sitting on their hands when it came to crafting for engineering. During the WotLK and Cata betas they asked us for what we would like to see in the game. I and many other engineers poured onto the forums to let them know "we need a rocket mount that we can craft" nothing. What made it worse was that the items they gave us were novelty instead of actually useful! The game now has two rocket mounts that are craftable (according to my friend) alone with a pleathera of other mounts available (more then any other launch that I can recall) and it seems that engineering is actually highly useful again, so two questions...

Why is it they wait until two expansions later when they've aggrivated the engineers enough to leave the game entirely to put these things into the game (could it be their population was noticeably/dangerously lowered)?

And why do devs of mmo's ignore the underdog so much? I've noticed this in other mmo's that they attract my type of player and then ingore us entirely when we point out things we either would like to see, or things that need fixing.

Comments

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

They won't because:

-studies say otherwise;

-not enough resources/manpower/money;

-ideas by players can be bad for the game;

-because of their ego + suits think they can keep you on a leash untill it's too late.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

But they listened to their players. That's why I did quit WoW. All the moaning about inaccessible content, content being too hard, etc. left the game in such state that I had no more desire to play it. 

Now as for mounts, why would they allow you to make fancy mounts when they can sell fancy mounts for 25$ a piece? It's perfeclty logical on their side. They added the bike mount in WotLK iirc anyway, and the rocket was a TCG "reward". 

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Problem is Ghost Crawler implements what Ghost Crawler thinks is a good idea and if it backfires he then makes terrible excuses down the road in order to back track.  As an example: as a customer I had to enable child protection in order to leave the Real ID system, we later found out hackers found out your user name through the real id system and managed to pilfer accounts using a blizzard system. Now realid is just your #battletag.  I dislike things like CRZ with a passion too, this form of creating a populated environment has no long term or meaningful impact on a player e.g you are unable to join the guild of someone you meet on another server and then raid and play with them in all their zones (as far as I understand it from when I last played)

I think though this is one of the major curses of having a massive virtual population, you cannot have a serious dialogue of features with players.  An indie developer however can and does usually hold regular meaningful discussions.

I have left wow though for good, cannot be dealing with the crazy zealot implementation of mega daily quest hubs, I have enough jobs I need to do in real life. When I play a game I want to be exited a bit most of the time (crafting aside).

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

At least you get what you want 2 x-pac later, the shamans on the other hand.......

RIP Orc Choppa

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486
    Originally posted by arctarus

At least you get what you want 2 x-pac later, the shamans on the other hand.......

Shamans are still recovering from bus shock.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    If you're willing to leave a game over a mount, no matter what they do to make you happy, you'll always find something else. People who become obsesed with minor things are a lost cause.
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

They do listen to their players... but with 8+ million of them, it's gonna take a few years for them to get around to you...

You are number 1,999,765,124 in the queue... estimated wait time... 2.9 years

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Which players should they listen to?  Which group of players is more important than any other group hmm?  Should they listen only to the raiders or the pvp crowd?  Should they only have RPG events and permaban any dbag that dares speak ooc?  Should they cease and desist with all development until they get one class working 100% perfect, in a vacuum?

I would wager that devs spend way too much time listening to the players, athough it may not seem that way when that one thing that we individually think should be addressed isn't when we want it to.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    If you're willing to leave a game over a mount, no matter what they do to make you happy, you'll always find something else. People who become obsesed with minor things are a lost cause.

oh oops let me correct that. I actually left because Cata didn't have enough end game content because they focused too much on the early areas in an attempt to bring in new players and because for 2.5 months they kept messing with the PVE skills in an attempt to fix PVP balance so every week almost there was a major/mini patch that would completely change hunters and I had to respec, get new gear, and relearn an entirely new rotation. Got old quick.

Originally posted by pmiles

They do listen to their players... but with 8+ million of them, it's gonna take a few years for them to get around to you...

You are number 1,999,765,124 in the queue... estimated wait time... 2.9 years

This was actually something the Devs asked us, so it wasn't something that we initiated they actually asked us. So when all of us engineers got in there we were high disappointed with getting a stun effect gun and a loot-a-rang as the results as you can well imagine.

Originally posted by severius

Which players should they listen to?  Which group of players is more important than any other group hmm?  Should they listen only to the raiders or the pvp crowd?  Should they only have RPG events and permaban any dbag that dares speak ooc?  Should they cease and desist with all development until they get one class working 100% perfect, in a vacuum?

I would wager that devs spend way too much time listening to the players, athough it may not seem that way when that one thing that we individually think should be addressed isn't when we want it to.

No I'm not like that however when THEY pose the question to their players and the players actually sit down and come up with simple quick and great ideas for the question, they should definitely do more then what they did. We even had ideas for underwater swimming apparatus which they only used that for one of the early goblin quests instead of as an item one could use despite the game having and entire underwater realm at the time.

There's another set of developers who are doing this too. They've posed a request in the forums and do the exact same thing as Blizzard and that's Arenanet. Unless you're a warrior in that game forget what you need.

It's another thing that bothers me shouldn't they have the professionalism that these indie devs have and not have favorites? The mage in WoW is still the highest DPS I hear which is nonsense to me because there's plenty of physical ways of getting hurt that should definitely hurt worse then magic missiles oh like bullets and arrows and swords come to mind.