Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

best game best company? your opnion

MirariMirariMirariMirari Member UncommonPosts: 47

So.

Vindictus, Dragon Nest, MicroVolts, S4League, Minecraft (not really an mmorpg but it can be with servers).

Even though NEXON has really bad service.

I'd say NEXON just because they provide some pretty epic games.

I really don't know what to put here.

Comments

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Nexon tends to make good games and then drop out when it comes to supporting them. They keep making new content without addressing issues that plagued it before (gold bots are RAMPANT). I'm saying this as someone who loves Vindictus.

I would have to say that my top 5 are:

1. Valve

2. Rockstar

3. Bethesda

4. NCSoft Developers [ArenaNet (Guild Wars 2), Carbine Studios (Wildstar), Team Blood Lust (Blade and Soul)]

5. Namco Bandai

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• LogicLesterLogicLester Member UncommonPosts: 68

Rocksteady

followed closely by Rockstar, Irrational Games, Valve, Blizzard, and Capcom.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

For customer service: Blizzard and SOE

For development and overall company: Bethesda and Trion

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Nexon's lack of support isn't what bugs me, it's their over the top cash shops with time limited items that you could get permanently in most games for the same price.

Anyway, some companies who have consistently made me a happy gamer:

Valve (L4D2)

ArenaNet (GW2)

Relic (Dawn of War)

Squaresoft (pre-FFVII)

Frictional Games (Amnesia - simply THE best survival horror game I've played)

...and too many old school/console-only/forgotten devs to mention.

• MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166
     Black Isle Studios,Bethesda, Rockstar, ArenaNet (Guild Wars 1),Blizzard

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• MirariMirariMirariMirari Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I have to agree with some of you, Valve, and Namco are pretty good

I really don't know what to put here.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Blizzard is probably the best game/company I've played.  4 years and no real complaints other than after that much time I just got bored.

When they' make their next mmo I'll buy it no questions ask.

Old bioware pre EA made most of the best single player games I've played...but...that was before EA.

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Since this is all personal opinion...

Best companies:

Starwraith

Grinding Gear Games

ArenaNet

Runic

Valve

My favourite games:

Evochron Mercenary (Both single and multiplayer)

Guild Wars (The original, not its MMOdified, disappointing cousin.)

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

What criteria makes you rate a company differently than you would rate its flagship game?

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by MayuiMimi

So.

Vindictus, Dragon Nest, MicroVolts, S4League, Minecraft (not really an mmorpg but it can be with servers).

Even though NEXON has really bad service.

I'd say NEXON just because they provide some pretty epic games.

Sorry to disagree but I found all those games awful...I think you pretty much have to put Blizzard as the top company and WoW as the top game (though I dont play it)......Eve would probably be 2nd.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

My top three in order;

1. Blizzard (WoW + Starcraft)
    2. Relic (Company of Heroes and Homeworld)
    3. TutleRock/Valve (Left 4 Dead 1 & 2)
  • chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Relic

Betha

Blizz

Frontier

publisher and developers alike, but most are developers.

edit: there are some new indi's thou, so this might change as their releases come to light.

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• treelotreelo Member Posts: 70

As far as MMOs go, it would have to be Blizzard.  Their impact upon the genre, whether you like it or not, has been quite impressive.

For off-line titles it's really hard to pick a single company, as what you're really choosing is whoever made your favourite games.  THQ would certainly have been my top choice for a publisher, in spite of their recent bankrupcy.  They released some shockers, that's for sure, but most of my PC games (and a fair few console titles) have their name on the box.  Red Faction, Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander, Dawn of War, Darksiders, and going back a bit with Full Spectrum Warrior.  They also owned a few of the studios I would name as well (Volition, Relic.)

Sierra Entertainment, Rockstar, and Ubisoft are also top of my list.

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

In terms of sincerity and/or just "connecting" with their fanbase and the like... I'd have to say

1)  Larian - These guys are great and actively pal around with people in their forums; they also just finished one of the most earnest kickstarter campaigns I have ever witnessed with huge updates and videos daily, active participation on their comments section (and website), asking their fans what they should do or what they would like, and even forming an entire guild around their next game of fans of that series (including putting them in game).  Very fond of GoG and anti DRM company when possible.  Looking forward to Divinity: Original Sin and have a slight interest in Divinity: Dragon Commander.

2) Square Enix -  Frequent updates of FFXIV (both in game and through bi weekly letters / polls / etc.) have really won me over for Square Enix.  They aren't afraid of admitting they were wrong about something, and have apologized about three hundred times regarding the state FFXIV was released in.  In addition to that, they salvaged that game with dozens of patches for current players, giving them a fantastic storyline in addition to a 9 minute cinematic to end it.  They did all this knowing that content will no longer be playable since they were completely remaking the game.  In addition, the fact they were remaking it showed a real dedication to the genre (whether they needed to or not), and the way they've been going about it and connecting with the fan base over the past two years is almost unreal.

3) CDProjekt Red -  People who put themselves in the shoes of other gamers and try to view things from a gamer's perspective.  They are especially fond of GoG and completely anti DRM when it's possible.

Honorable Mentions:  Based on enjoyment of games or putting yourself out there.

1)  Blizzard -  There hasn't been a game released that I haven't enjoyed at least for a few weeks or beyond.  They don't really get in touch with their community anymore since it's so big now, but I still remember fondly the days they used to really get in there and not just release all these updates and dev talks / water coolers / tweeting / etc.  The tweeting is still somewhat personal, but it's become more about the bottom line than the customer nowadays (even though I've had no problems with their customer service when needed).  Looking forward to this year's Blizzcon (another fanfare that I think deserves some recognition in kind).

2) Arenanet - Enjoyed Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2, in addition to their monthly updates that haven't missed a step.  Respectable to be focusing improving the core game with no mention of an expansion to further increase their pockets.  Though they still have a lot ot learn about MMORPGs in general, in my opinion.

3) Funcom -  This is one company that really tries to make something different whenever they try.  There were many mistakes made with The Secret World that proved to be it's relative downfall, but they aren't afraid to try and innovate and deserve some respect for that.

In addition to most indie developers that seem to try and bring something to the table even with limited resources.

Based on interest in future games (Without repeating any of the above companies)

1) Inxile -   Torment: Tides of Numenera / Wasteland 2

2) Obsidian - Project Eternity

3) Carbine - Wildstar (May wait a year or so unless it's B2P)

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Blizzard and CCP, for WOW and EVE respectively.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• xDracxDrac Member UncommonPosts: 201
    NCSOFT and Trion for me. :)

Web & Graphic Design - www.xdrac.com

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Games:

1. Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

2. Baldurs Gate 2: Shadows of Amn

3. Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines

4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

5. Neverwinter Nights 2

Companies:

1. Bioware pre-EA (R.I.P.)

2. Sigil Games (R.I.P.)

3. Obsidian Entertainment

4. Troika Games (R.I.P.)

5. Bethesda

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Bioware-TOR

wargaming.net-WoT

SoE-Eq/Eq2/DCUO

turbine-lotro

ccp-Eve

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by maplestone

What criteria makes you rate a company differently than you would rate its flagship game?

Bioware pre- and early EA (Dragon Age: Origins still counts) made more fantastic games than any other gaming company, including two that got into my list, so they went first.

Sigil ony managed to make one game before they bankrupted. So even if that game is my top entry, its "just" second place for the company.

Obsidiant Entertainment pretty consistently does great roleplaying games if they decide to, including great expansions, so they got third.

Troika Games made three games total (Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, The Temple of Elemental Evil, and Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura). One made it into my list. The other two are rather strange. So they went fourth.

The remaining competition for last spot was either Bethesda or CD Project RED, and in that competition, Bethesda wins quite easily.

And otherwise:

NC Soft was never much in the competition because frankly, all their MMOs have substantial defects. Guild Wars is just one hell of a borefest. Its basically just a PvP game.

To be honest, Blizzard never even crossed my mind. I kinda enjoyed Diablo 2. Once. Mostly I just liked studying their ideas about class design. I never touched WoW.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

FFXi and my easy choice for dev is Square Enix.

FFXI was the hand crafted effort of one guy,Tanaka,not 50 different opinions or choices,one guy aside from the music and sound scores of course.Tanaka made al lthe decisions.

As to Sqaure they were imo the FIRST in many areas of gaming like multiplatform gaming but also in going after RMT in their game.it was only soon after SQuare announced their huge bans,everyoen esle started to jump on the bandwagon.

Also when is the last time if EVER,have you seen a developer admit fault and completely rework the game under their own cost,without charging the players?They did that with FFXIV.

Also Sqaure is famous for announcing long term goals on how they develop their games.all other developers,eveerything is secret,more likely they have no long term plans.Also when Square says they wil ldo something,it gets done by their timeline.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• f1sebf1seb Member UncommonPosts: 194

Hmm, I thought that CD Projekt Red would've been brought up already as I belive that company has some fantastic ideas, and also follow a different path in ethics than most big sized studios.

1.  CD Projekt Red - Gog.com, and the Witcher series

2.  Valve - DOTA2, TF2, Portal, 1 and 2.  Yes Steam is DRM, but I will forgive them for it for not destroying gaming studios like other game companies.

3.  Square Enix, although I think they're losing their way, one thing I'm not happy about is them releasing their classic RPG's on mobile platforms for ridiculous ammounts of money.  Maybe in a few years they will fall off my list.

4. Bethesda -  I didn't start to purchase their games until a bit later, Oblivion was the 1st game I purchased and I didn't really get into this game, it's still unbeaten in all these years.  Fallout 3 was the breakout title for me that I trully couldn't get enough of, and Skyrim pretty much made me feel exactly the same way.

5.  StardockIronclad Games - They are a small indie studio, the reason why I love them is because their products are fantastic and they keep them updated throughtout the lifetime of the game.  Yes they don't have many games in their folder but whatever they do are in my opinion all fantastic games.  A blend of a publisher and gaming company working together in a proper way.

• dauntSilverdauntSilver Member Posts: 146
    DF:UW is actually keeping my interest. I actually look forward to playing the game and hate logging off... Havent felt this way about a game since EQ early 2000.
  • HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Jagex and their lead title Runescape...Because:

- The developers are the publishers. There is no in-fighting or red tape hold up on things due to this.

- They are a private company. Not being publicly traded or a subsidiary means they have no one to please but their playerbase.

- Comunity devotion. Garunteed content polls, dedicated forum feedback team, weekly behind the scenes, Live streams, up to date mod vlogs/blogs. In game moderator chat channles. Q&A sessions. Active forums.

- They are the most prolificly updated MMORPG (holding not only a guinness book of world records for such. But, proving it further, with the frequency and scale of game updates).

-  Freedom of of playstyle. No gender lock, no classing, free movement between servers, post creation character customisation (down to even name changing). Many different skills for item creation and money making.

- Ease of access. Game playable through dozens of browsers with what matters for playability graphical setting, and even a downloadedable client should one not wish to play through the browser. Built to not limit who can and cannot play.

- Econmoically sound. Cash shop offers only cosmetic items that cannot be resold in-game. Constant smack down of bots and would be gold sellers. Introduction of new items and events to effect economy. Price of membership for added features is low compaired to many other MMORPG's with many ways to pay. With the player getting a lot of bang for their buck.

Those are some of the more major reasons (mentioned in short and not detailed as they could be) as to why Jagex and it's lead title Runescape is my pick for best MMOG Company./MMORPG.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Blizzard

Every game since Warcraft 1 is fun for me.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    Originally posted by Wizardry

FFXi and my easy choice for dev is Square Enix.

FFXI was the hand crafted effort of one guy,Tanaka,not 50 different opinions or choices,one guy aside from the music and sound scores of course.Tanaka made al lthe decisions.

As to Sqaure they were imo the FIRST in many areas of gaming like multiplatform gaming but also in going after RMT in their game.it was only soon after SQuare announced their huge bans,everyoen esle started to jump on the bandwagon.

Also when is the last time if EVER,have you seen a developer admit fault and completely rework the game under their own cost,without charging the players?They did that with FFXIV.

Also Sqaure is famous for announcing long term goals on how they develop their games.all other developers,eveerything is secret,more likely they have no long term plans.Also when Square says they wil ldo something,it gets done by their timeline.

FFXI was developed by SquareSoft and published under SquareEnix after the merger. Zilart and Promathia both were in development under SquareSoft as well and finished by SqureEnix after the merger. Well Promathia was finished by SquareEnix, Zilart was already done. A lot of the people that had huge influence on FFXI left after the merger. Tanaka tries to call it his child but it really wasn't. Hironobu had a huge influence on the games direction as well as Wada.

If it wasnt for Hironobu FFXI wouldn't even exist. It was his idea in the first place that brought FFXI into development. Even Koichi Ishi had heavy infuence on the game. He was a big director of FFI, II, and III that carried many of his ideas over to influence FFXI. 

As for development companies:

• SquareSoft
    • Bioware Pre EA/Mythic Merger
    • Valve

Games:

• FFXI
    • FFV, VII, VIII
    • Neverwinter Nights
    • Zelda: Ocrina of Time
    • Skyrim
    • Ultima Online
    • Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo