Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Battlegrounds confirmed!

meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
One of the questions Mark answered yesterday during his Mark-A-Thon is whether there would be DAOC-style non-instanced battlegrounds for new characters to play in and learn their classes. The answer is YES. This is great news.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Why?

What's the point in a game without levels?
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They would be better doing something like the vr training room in planetside. But fantasy themed obviously. You could then try out your abilities vs straw dummies etc..
  • JoekraJoekra Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Why?

Could be either for new characters to learn to pvp, or simply to have a change of pure RvR pvp later on. Regardless you do "level" (as in progress your character) by pvping so I would assume it would be pretty much the same as going out and doing RvR (on a dimished rate probably, else the world gonna be a ghost world and everybody will be in the bg's).

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Shame that some people are so stuck in the levelbased themepark mmo's that think for them , they can't imagine there's more options.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Why?

It's not a game without levels. There are levels (think of them as realm ranks in DAOC rather than PvE levels). The progression from leveling is horizontal rather than vertical but a level 1 is still going to be less powerful than a level 30. And anyway BGs are just plain fun especially if you don't have a lot of time to form a perfect group and run around looking for a fight.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by meddyck
    One of the questions Mark answered yesterday during his Mark-A-Thon is whether there would be DAOC-style non-instanced battlegrounds for new characters to play in and learn their classes. The answer is YES. This is great news.

I just re watched the update (#38) before replying lies lol.

from what i understood, BG were not confirmed. he mentionned a part of the game where you could learn the basics. it was mostly directed at people who would come in the game a while after launch to learn how to RvR without having their asses handed on the plates, but there wont be anything instanced

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

from what i understood, BG were not confirmed. he mentionned a part of the game where you could learn the basics. it was mostly directed at people who would come in the game a while after launch to learn how to RvR without having their asses handed on the plates, but there wont be anything instanced

You missed the part where I already said it was DAOC-style non-instanced battlegrounds.

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Originally posted by BowbowDAoC

You missed the part where I already said it was DAOC-style non-instanced battlegrounds.

LOL true i guess rofl :P

sorry about that :)

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I actually like this idea and would like to play this.  But with 3 days left and just under half a million to go, IDK.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Seems they are getting desperate and just releasing any old information. The Kickstarter campaign will NOT be successfully funded unless a very generous, rich individual comes along willing to burn money on another "revolutionary MMORPG".
  • ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by DrinkFeck
    Seems they are getting desperate and just releasing any old information. The Kickstarter campaign will NOT be successfully funded unless a very generous, rich individual comes along willing to burn money on another "revolutionary MMORPG".

That's not how a KS works though, they not only need the cash, they need the numbers as well which is why it's tiered.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    I didn't get the impression that they would be anything like DAoC BGs.  More like an introductory area for brand new players to learn the game and class mechanics, unable to return upon leaving perhaps.
    Originally posted by redcapp
    I didn't get the impression that they would be anything like DAoC BGs.  More like an introductory area for brand new players to learn the game and class mechanics, unable to return upon leaving perhaps.

I don't care enough to listen to the video again, but I definitely got the sense from the question and the answer that is was referring to something very similar to a DAOC BG. He even referred not being sure what the level or time cap would be to stay in there just like DAOC BGs have realm rank and level caps.

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235

I don't care enough to listen to the video again, but I definitely got the sense from the question and the answer that is was referring to something very similar to a DAOC BG. He even referred not being sure what the level or time cap would be to stay in there just like DAOC BGs have realm rank and level caps.

i.e. they have to decide at what point you'd be no longer considered a new character and have to join regular open RvR.

Battlegrounds for anything other than an introductory area to learn how your character works would completely defeat the purpose of the entire game.  Everyone should be trying to work together to defend their realm in open RvR, not just be playing with a few people in a corner.

There is just no need for a bunch of seperate little playgrounds divided by level because the progression in the game is horizontal instead of vertical.

Originally posted by Taldier

i.e. they have to decide at what point you'd be no longer considered a new character and have to join regular open RvR.

Battlegrounds for anything other than an introductory area to learn how your character works would completely defeat the purpose of the entire game.  Everyone should be trying to work together to defend their realm in open RvR, not just be playing with a few people in a corner.

There is just no need for a bunch of seperate little playgrounds divided by level because the progression in the game is horizontal instead of vertical.

If people find playing in a lowbie BG fun and want to pay a monthly sub to do it, why is that wrong? Lots of people subbed just to play BGs and still do in DAOC. I would think a niche game like this would welcome these players' cash as much as it welcomes subs from people who will just craft.

One BG is plenty enough since levels don't have the vertical progression aspect that DAOC had which required it to have multiple BGs at different level ranges.

My impression is they are shooting for huge population servers. There won't be any problem having enough people in the main RvR area. And ultimately like for everything, if you don't enjoy playing in the BG, don't go there.

• BenezettaBenezetta Member UncommonPosts: 94

My impression is that there's going to be a training area, rather like a tutorial.  I didn't get the idea that it was going to be a full-blown BG much less a series of progressive BGs.  Hopefully Mark will clarify this soon.

• Niix_OzekNiix_Ozek Member Posts: 397
    Think of this concept as daoc where everyone starts at level 20
    You level to 50 as you gain more skills ( but instead of daoc you don't get stronger versions just different more options ) and as you level you will get better gear an more stats
    I got the impression a capped level player will beat a newbie 1v1 but 3-4 newbies will beat that one player
    We will see if it can be balanced like that all the while giving players enough things as they level to feel accomplished

Ozek - DAOC
    Niix - Other games that sucked

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

Exactly.  And from everything Mark has said in the foundational principles etc, I doubt he'd make these sort of concessions simply to increase sub numbers like the other poster had said. 

The video gives a pretty clear impression, imo, that new players would have access to a learning area, then be encouraged to go out and participate in the metagame.  We really *don't* need all these separate, isolated zones.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Yea im not sure how much this is really needed, also you could run into a twink situation where older players stay in that zone aslong as possible and wreak havoc. If everybody sarts at relatively the same power i see no reason why like in an FPS they cant be thrown right into the fray. Sure give people some training and a tutorial, but i dont think people should be spending days running around a meaningless zone.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• TaldierTaldier Member CommonPosts: 235

If people find playing in a lowbie BG fun and want to pay a monthly sub to do it, why is that wrong? Lots of people subbed just to play BGs and still do in DAOC. I would think a niche game like this would welcome these players' cash as much as it welcomes subs from people who will just craft.

One BG is plenty enough since levels don't have the vertical progression aspect that DAOC had which required it to have multiple BGs at different level ranges.

My impression is they are shooting for huge population servers. There won't be any problem having enough people in the main RvR area. And ultimately like for everything, if you don't enjoy playing in the BG, don't go there.

As soon as you allow for any form of reward inside a battleground enviornment, every single player is forced to grind battlegrounds because its inherently faster to kill people in a smaller map than to kill people in a larger map.

Battlegrounds become a job you are forced to do, when you should be out immersing yourself in the amazingly interactive player-driven world CSE is creating for you to fight over.  No thanks.

• I agree with this. If the battleground is just a tutorial thing with no rewards, or at least rewards so limited you'd only do them for a short period, I have no problem with it. But it definitely shouldn't be something that removes the focus of the main game. In fact that was one of the major mistakes Warhammer Online made. The battlegrounds were chock-full but the world was empty.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    For anyone interested in the original "Battleground Announcement", here is the KS article (video inside, skip to 2:25 for battlegrounds) - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/posts/465866?page=2#comments
     W...aaagh?
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2015
    This what killed Warhammer ... No Bgs .. keep the fighting and rewards in the field where it belongs , otherwise you will have everyone sittin in ques to get there daily/win/loss currency... Fail system for this type of game ...

we warned you then Mark Jacobs not to do this to Warhammer you didnt listen .. Will you make the same mistake twice ..?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    DrinkFeck said:
    The campaign has been funded sever times if I'm not mistaken. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Scorchien said:
    This what killed Warhammer ... No Bgs .. keep the fighting and rewards in the field where it belongs , otherwise you will have everyone sittin in ques to get there daily/win/loss currency... Fail system for this type of game ...

we warned you then Mark Jacobs not to do this to Warhammer you didnt listen .. Will you make the same mistake twice ..?

Not even remotely the same thing. If you played DAOC you would understand.