Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQNext - secrets revealed early?

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

So, if we put a few puzzle pieces together, I think we can get a pretty good general idea of what we can expect out of EQNext.  Let's follow the bread crumb trail.

1.  Multiple talks from everyone working on the team about how this is the game to move the mmo market in a new direction, to truly bring innovation to the genre.

2.  A lot of talk about making the game a living breathing world, feeling a part of a whole, something bigger than just a cardboard cutout of a game.  No zoning at all, seasons were mentioned, interactive npc's, etc.

3.  Recent interviews at PAX where it was mentioned by 2 different devs that it's important to be able to be who you want to be in a game.  That an mmo doesn't have to be about combat, that there are other options besides just that. 

4.  The most recent announcement that SOE brought in the Storybricks crew to work on EQNext.  Along with this announcement, the Storybricks crew mentions working othe largest sandbox game to date and the most innovate MMORPG ever.

The Storybricks announcement is what leads to the juicy info.  I didn't have a lot of knowledge on Storybricks, but after some digging, I found an article that was published about 4 months ago about what they are all about - and it's really in depth.  I suggest reading this article in its entirety, and if you've listened to any of the interviews with the EQNext devs (while mostly not giving much of any specific info away) - you can see how much of this article seems to be coming out of them when they talk.  I'm not sure to what extent everything in this article will materialize in the game world - but I can guarantee you SOE didn't bring Storybricks in to work on some random other project or task in the game other than what they do; which is what this article is about in depth.  I really think this is giving us a sneak peak and general look into what SOE is doing with the game world for EQNext.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/27/exclusive-storybricks-dev-diary-expounds-on-bringing-npcs-to-li/

Comments

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Well lets hope they get it right and release a game that is not only revolutionary but also one that runs smooth, and isn't full  of bugs that many times comes with revolutionary things.
  • ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

I wonder if their partnership with Storybricks means that Players will be creating Quests out in the open world instead of a closed/instanced Foundry system like Cryptic uses for STO and Neverwinter.

That would be kinda of awesome, where content would be created by the players and experienced in a open world setting.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Well lets hope they get it right and release a game that is not only revolutionary but also one that runs smooth, and isn't full  of bugs that many times comes with revolutionary things.

I don't know, I've been playing Defiance and there isn't much revolutionary about that and it's so bug ridden it's just sad, lol.  I understand your point though.  I also hope it won't be.

• BBPD766BBPD766 Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Margulis

So, if we put a few puzzle pieces together, I think we can get a pretty good general idea of what we can expect out of EQNext.  Let's follow the bread crumb trail.

1.  Multiple talks from everyone working on the team about how this is the game to move the mmo market in a new direction, to truly bring innovation to the genre.

2.  A lot of talk about making the game a living breathing world, feeling a part of a whole, something bigger than just a cardboard cutout of a game.  No zoning at all, seasons were mentioned, interactive npc's, etc.

3.  Recent interviews at PAX where it was mentioned by 2 different devs that it's important to be able to be who you want to be in a game.  That an mmo doesn't have to be about combat, that there are other options besides just that. 

4.  The most recent announcement that SOE brought in the Storybricks crew to work on EQNext.  Along with this announcement, the Storybricks crew mentions working othe largest sandbox game to date and the most innovate MMORPG ever.

The Storybricks announcement is what leads to the juicy info.  I didn't have a lot of knowledge on Storybricks, but after some digging, I found an article that was published about 4 months ago about what they are all about - and it's really in depth.  I suggest reading this article in its entirety, and if you've listened to any of the interviews with the EQNext devs (while mostly not giving much of any specific info away) - you can see how much of this article seems to be coming out of them when they talk.  I'm not sure to what extent everything in this article will materialize in the game world - but I can guarantee you SOE didn't bring Storybricks in to work on some random other project or task in the game other than what they do; which is what this article is about in depth.  I really think this is giving us a sneak peak and general look into what SOE is doing with the game world for EQNext.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/27/exclusive-storybricks-dev-diary-expounds-on-bringing-npcs-to-li/

....Not quite sure how this is a bread crumb trail. Devs stating how this game will move MMO's in a new direction, bring innovation, and make a game a living breathing world, is nothing more than a sales pitch that has been heard from previously released games and offers no supporting information about EQNext. Having other options besides combat doesnt lend us any information as to what this may be (other than us knowing there will likely be crafting) nor provide us any information as to what more there may be beyond combat for options or even how they will be presented in the game. Stating that the NPC's will be interactive can be said about NPC's in currently released games but we have no idea, again, how this will be delivered to us in EQNext.

I mean no disrespect, as I am just as anxious and excited to see this game and get my hands on it in August  (have purchased my airline ticket, paid for my hotel room, and have my all access pass for the event), but aside from speculating what they may do with the technology they have access to while now partnered Storybricks, being a sandbox, no zoning, and the possibility of seasons, there is really no indication as to what they are doing with this game and we can hardly get any part of a general idea of what to expect. We'll just have to wait and see for a few more months at the unveiling, brother... ; )

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by BBPD766

....Not quite sure how this is a bread crumb trail. Devs stating how this game will move MMO's in a new direction, bring innovation, and make a game a living breathing world, is nothing more than a sales pitch that has been heard from previously released games and offers no supporting information about EQNext. Having other options besides combat doesnt lend us any information as to what this may be (other than us knowing there will likely be crafting) nor provide us any information as to what more there may be beyond combat for options or even how they will be presented in the game. Stating that the NPC's will be interactive can be said about NPC's in currently released games but we have no idea, again, how this will be delivered to us in EQNext.

I mean no disrespect, as I am just as anxious and excited to see this game and get my hands on it in August  (have purchased my airline ticket, paid for my hotel room, and have my all access pass for the event), but aside from speculating what they may do with the technology they have access to while now partnered Storybricks, being a sandbox, no zoning, and the possibility of seasons, there is really no indication as to what they are doing with this game and we can hardly get any part of a general idea of what to expect. We'll just have to wait and see for a few more months at the unveiling, brother... ; )

Disagree

If a company brings on 3rd party labor, and you know exactly what that labor specializes in, you have a pretty good idea of what that company is looking for and doing.  SOE didn't hire Storybricks to work on lore writing or dungeon design.  The EXACT specifics of course will be unknown until revealed, but clearly they are going to be implementing some sort of advanced npc AI and the like, which is what storybricks is all about.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275

If they can create a crafting system on par or even better then SWG I can see how being a crafter would be just as entertaining as playing a combat toon. Or make an entertaining type character viable, using buffs etc in taverns.

If the housing system melds EQII and SWG player cities well that would be the best player housing in any game. 

If the world is actually dynamic, interactive, and changeable they way they state, it would be revolutionary.

If the character classes are as deep as EQII or TSW, with the AA of EQII that would be a huge plus.

If this is a huge sandbox so many are asking for, we will see how many players will actually play in it.

I am highly anticipating this game I just hope it can live up to the hype that the devs are creating, there are a whole lot of if's here, one can onlyhope

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I really have to agree with BBPD on this.  The only thing we've heard are catchphrases and hyped spin from Dave and Smed.  If you've been playing EQ2 for the last 3 years when Dave hopped on board, you'll notice a trend in how he communicates.  So far, all the "industry changing innovations" he brought to EQ2 have fallen flat on their faces. 

Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of EQ for 12 years..I'm just not a fan of the current management.  I'm leery of what EQN will end up being with Dave being at the helm.  I still remain hopeful, but I'm not going to get all starry eyed listening to Dave and Smed's  tidbits and teasers.

Disagree

If a company brings on 3rd party labor, and you know exactly what that labor specializes in, you have a pretty good idea of what that company is looking for and doing.  SOE didn't hire Storybricks to work on lore writing or dungeon design.  The EXACT specifics of course will be unknown until revealed, but clearly they are going to be implementing some sort of advanced npc AI and the like, which is what storybricks is all about

Did you even read the last paragraph of my reply? That is one of the only things i said we can specualte about at this point. Pls pay attention. Furthermore, saying "clearly they are going to be implementing some sort of advanced npc AI and the like" cant be said either. The guy who invented the slinky was developing springs that could support and stabilize the the sensitive gauges and instruments aboard ships in rough seas and yet it turned out to be one of the most popular kids toys of all time; completely disconnected for it's actual intention. This is no different. Just because they specialize in an area doesnt mean thats the application it will be implemented for.

Originally posted by Telondariel

I really have to agree with BBPD on this.  The only thing we've heard are catchphrases and hyped spin from Dave and Smed.  If you've been playing EQ2 for the last 3 years when Dave hopped on board, you'll notice a trend in how he communicates.  So far, all the "industry changing innovations" he brought to EQ2 have fallen flat on their faces. 

Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of EQ for 12 years..I'm just not a fan of the current management.  I'm leery of what EQN will end up being with Dave being at the helm.  I still remain hopeful, but I'm not going to get all starry eyed listening to Dave and Smed's  tidbits and teasers.

.....we shall soon see.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

I was originally skeptical about EQNext, but hearing about Storybricks and knowing that theres not really much point investing in another big WoW clone, I think they will try take us to the next generation of MMO.

Very excited to see what they have come up with. Norrath is by far my favourite online world.

• SaxonbladeSaxonblade Member Posts: 275
    Originally posted by evilastro

I was originally skeptical about EQNext, but hearing about Storybricks and knowing that theres not really much point investing in another big WoW clone, I think they will try take us to the next generation of MMO.

Very excited to see what they have come up with. Norrath is by far my favourite online world.

Could not agree with you more, best races, lore, setting in any MMO to date

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

This is a speculation thread.  We aren't discussing hard evidence.  The reason to speculate is to entertain ideas and thoughts about the game.  It's great that there may be a reveal in August, till then, why not let these guys continue speculating without making them feel bad about it.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

This is a speculation thread.  We aren't discussing hard evidence.  The reason to speculate is to entertain ideas and thoughts about the game.  It's great that there may be a reveal in August, till then, why not let these guys continue speculating without making them feel bad about it.

Im not sure you actually read and understood his post or mine. Nor am I convinced you actually read the subject title of his post either; "EQNext Secrets Revealed early?" Call me crazy, but that ends with a question mark and indicates that he's looking for opinions and responses. Which is exactly what I provided with my post.

In this "speculation thread" as you call it the op IS in fact "discussing hard evidence" from statements and information that were provided by devs  in printed articles which he clearly numbers 1-4 to support HIS speculation that there was a "bread crumb trail." This was btw followed up by a link to an article that he believed was more "hard evidence" to support his speculation that we have been given "a sneak peak and general look into what SOE is doing with the game world for EQNext." So yeah, he IS discussing "hard evidence" and his entire post was supported by exactly that. His "speculation" was a totality OF that "hard evidence" he compiled as it says below.

"So, if we put a few puzzle pieces together, I think we can get a pretty good general idea of what we can expect out of EQNext.  Let's follow the bread crumb trail."

According to you, I shouldn't answer the op question (remindng you AGAIN of the title of his post) with any opposing thoughts or ideas that I may have about his theory. Seriously? It's MY speculation that the information the original poster presented was ambiguous and didnt support the existence of a bread crumb trail as he suggested. My "reason to speculate"  was "to entertain thoughts and ideas about the game" that secrets have not been revealed to answer his "EQNext secrets revealed early?" title question and replied as to why I believed they had not.

Although I was amused that you felt compelled to explain to me what the reason for speculating was (thanks for that btw, 'cuz I was confused until you cleared that up for me), it was equally as humorous for me to read how you believed that I made the op "feel bad" by merely disagreeing (heaven forbid) with him; which btw I specifically made an effort  in my last paragraph to inform him that I meant no disrespect for disagreeing with his "speculation," and in spite of that, expressed my excitement for the game as much as he did.

In closing, I would ask that YOU allow me to continue discussing MY speculations without making me feel bad about it (sorry, i can be a bit sensitive like that sometimes to people who disagree with my speculations). Can we get back on topic now by discussing information directly related to EQNext instead of wasting peoples time with posts about whether this is a speculation or hard evidence discussion thread, the reasons for speculating, or how we should allow people to speculate without making them feel bad? Thanks.

Btw, no need to speculate if "there may be a reveal in August" as you posted. There will be. There's some hard evidence in the link below.

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    There was also mentioning of if you have a webcam, you may be able to do hand motions to cast spells etc. SOEmote was kind of the beginning of testing this software.

Killing dragons is my shit

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by Ripostethis
    There was also mentioning of if you have a webcam, you may be able to do hand motions to cast spells etc. SOEmote was kind of the beginning of testing this software.

I'm for this if everything you're wearing IRL contributes to your character stats also when going the webcam route.

Because I want to see some guy at a public computer lab wearing a blue robe, pointy hat, and waving a wand around while sitting at the computer.

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob
    Originally posted by Ripostethis

I'm for this if everything you're wearing IRL contributes to your character stats also when going the webcam route.

Because I want to see some guy at a public computer lab wearing a blue robe, pointy hat, and waving a wand around while sitting at the computer.

Yeah that would be embarassing...Seriously, who wears their pointy hat in public!

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I'll tell you what's happening... they know they blew it with SWG, and now the market is ready for exactly that kind of game again.    Many of the things they are saying sound like the kind of hybrid game SWG was.  I'm looking forward to some solid information on this.

Truth be told, I'm a bit worried about the games coming down the road... I've got at least four games I'm salivating for coming in 2013 and 2014...   I'm pissing myself over the potential for this game, Star Citizen, The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Pathfinder Online and some others. 

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.