Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon Age: Origins Worth Getting?

13»

Comments

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558
    Originally posted by GroovyFlower
    Originally posted by Kaijin2k3
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I think Dragon Age 2 was a very good game and I agree that they reused too many enviroments. I do think the combat was sub par and worse than the first one. Too artificially fast and reminded me of an arcade game.

Also, some  of the story could have been fleshed out better.

Biggest problem of DA2 wasn't the attempted changed, but that it was rushed. A lot of corners were cut, and things that really should have been better fleshed out, weren't.

Seems i remember this forum and bioware forums where to small of all the complaints about change from DAO to DA2, they where 2 totally different games.

I remember playing the demo and thought the fuke this is some cheap dumbdown console actioncrap game thats not DA as i know it was in DAO.

Yes and no. The forced hyper speed was undoubtedly lame, but the skills for each class were better refined along with a more in depth cross-class combo system. There were more unique builds in DA2 than in DAO, such as an elemental shield warrior as apposed to just shield = tank of DAO.

But they didn't use it to its potential. Too much of the combat was practically copy and paste from each other; the same number of melee units and ranged critters spawning in the same number of waves. Even the "Lieutenant" bosses fought exactly the same, using the same skills despite them being completely different races (ie Revenant vs. random thug boss).

Ill-fleshed out difficulty didn't help, with Normal being too mindlessly easy, and Hard not being much of a step up. Nightmare used cheap tactics to make it harder (such as rogue bosses stealing health potions), and friendly-fire was broken when you considered how they went about balancing player vs. mob health and damage values: that is, you only had 100 health, but would do 200, and the enemies had thousands of health but only did 20 damage. 

Add in game-breaking bugs (friendship bugs, health bugs, shield bugs, oh so many bugs) and you got a recipe for disaster :P Most of this would have easily been ironed out if they had wanted (or maybe allowed?) to take the time for it.

Felt the same way about party banter and companion interaction. Found it be far more frequent and more entertaining in 2, but much like the combat it really wasn't fully fleshed out.

tl;dr character skills, builds and cross-class combos were far better fleshed out if you looked past the hyperspeed, but the combat encounters were basically copy+pasted lameness with poorly thought out difficulty levels.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    Originally posted by akiira69
    Originally posted by Warmaker

Dragon Age: Origins is the last half-decent thing BioWare has done.  I have alot of gripes with its game world & exploration, but overall, it did provide a decent RPG experience.

But, I must warn you, in the name of all that is good in gaming, DO NOT get Dragon Age 2.  You have been warned...

DAO is not the Last Half Decent CRPG made by BioWare nor is it half way decent it is a Great Game and so is DA2. Do your self a favor and ignore this fool.

Sure thing, buddy image

I think BioWare has been utter shite for many years now, but DAO was pretty decent.  I did not jump onto that ME bandwagon either.  It's also been fun about reading how you guys get yanked back and forth by EAware, especially with the last title.

And DA2 trashed the combat system for quickness and was excessively trimmed down.  And the environments?  It's well known those hacks at BioWare took tremendous shortcuts and recycled few resources throughout the game to save time and shovel this steaming pile out for fools to lap up eagerly.  It was a blatant cash grab taking advantage the good name that Dragon Age Origins generated.

OP?  You want the real truth about DA2?  Read around the net and not just 1 or 2 sources.  And you will find ONE general concensus about DA2.

It's trash.

I liked DAO, despite it being a BioWare title.  When news came out how drastic the changes were going to be during previews, that set off alarm bells to be wary of DA2.  The news of the graphical shortcuts and laziness by BioWare discovered by people once it went live further cemented my lowly opinion of BioWare even more.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• LaeeshLaeesh Member UncommonPosts: 95
    yes it definitely is =) awesome game.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Becouse of this topic i desided to install origin again and awakening had stone prisoner and blooddragon DLC and some other DLC and saw unauthorized DLC so went over to bioware social netwrok about this problem and it seems many steam users had same problem.

I figure out uncheck DLC and restart game by reneter my game dvd disc and i could play game with DLC again.

• MetanolMetanol Member UncommonPosts: 248

I can warm heartedly suggest Dragon Age Origins, it's a solid singleplayer RPG, but like many others (older pc gamers), I advice you to avoid Dragon Age 2 like plague.

However, if you want a better RPG experience with party management and interaction, I would really suggest Neverwinter Nights 2. If you want solo goodness, then The Witcher 1 & 2.

Thank the Gods that I never had to pay for Dragon Age -series... I certainly don't consider it worth even five euros.

We?re all dead, just say it.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Definitely. My first playthrough was about 75 hours, didn't get bored one moment.

Second and third playthrough on the highest difficulty setting and with the DLC and expansion even timed around 90 hours.

Not a deal you can find for many games out there nowadays.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246
    It's an older game, too, so you should be able to pick it up for fairly cheap.  For what it is and the cost, hard to go wrong with DAO.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• slygamer1979slygamer1979 Member UncommonPosts: 101

I loved it myself it was like a rebirth in RPG games for me when i was losing interest i played dragon age origins and i was like OMFG!!! :-D 

and if you get it on pc you can get some fun mods  for free

• shassshass Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Kingdoms of Amalur is a gem. Very surprised it didn't sell shed loads. The combat is excellent. Great quests and interesting world.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245
    Becouse of this topic i reinstalled DAO/awakening/stoneprison/bloodarmor DLC collector's edition, again and enjoy it replaying it :)