Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horizontal Progression + Soul looting + bounties

AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
some good ideas in the last two updates.. sounds like the plan is LOTS of abilities for progression instead of the standard vertical gear progression.. also some interesting ideas on a bounty and soul looting system as well:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• DanwarrDanwarr Member CommonPosts: 185
    I love the Soul-Nemesis system he just talked about. I'd love to see this idea fleshed out more. Definitely a bit BSC like Mark said, but in a good way.

Waiting: CU, WildStar, Destiny, Eternal Crusade
    Playing: ESO,DCUO
    Played: LotRO,RIFT,ToR,Warhammer, Runescape

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

The soul thing has tons of potential.  Being able to imbue items with the properties of your enemies souls allows for ENDLESS customization.  I really hope they flesh this idea out more. 

Any Wakfu fans here?  Reminds me of ShuShus.  Would be cool if said items could reflect the soul giver's name in some way on that item.  Cool cool stuff here.

• BenezettaBenezetta Member UncommonPosts: 94
    How many people can make something using a piece of my soul?  I tend to die a LOT and the idea of thousands of pieces of my soul floating around is a bit unsettling.
  • MellozMelloz Member Posts: 26

I like it.  The horizontal progression is necessary for this type of game.  Getting it right will be tough, but it's something only possible during development. Having a long testing -> alpha -> betas progression with many testers who have given money is probably the best shot at actually getting it right.  Oh I fear the crying that will happen during the process though.

The soul looting/bounty idea is a nice bit of fluff (in that it's not meaningful to the overall RvR battle) that could seriously add to the game.  I think it has to be designed with these things in mind though:

1. Losing a piece of the soul (I'll just call it soul from here on) shouldn't hurt the player much, if at all.  I don't think we want to horribly discourage learning players.  Given some time, they are already going to be facing players with many more skills and better items.  Best not to give them an even larger stat disadvantage.

2. There needs to be a limit to how many you can lose.  On how many you can gain, there at least a limit to how many you can have active for the effects of highlighting them.  Seeing half a zerg highlighted wouldn't be helpful and, I would imagine, add unnecessary strain to a server when you multiply the effect over every player.  I think it would be best to just limit it to only being able to hold 2 or so souls at a time.

3. There needs to be a time limit on them.  I like the idea that if, after x number of hours in the RvR area, the player has retained a person's soul, they get the option to get some kind of physical momento from that player that you can use in crafting.  I'd like it to be their head so I can put it on a spike outside my house, but that's just me.

Some of my rough thoughts I've been posting on the comments section:

1. What actually happens to you as a result of losing a piece of your soul?
    2. Say you kill a healer, get a "healer's soul". Imbue an item with X amount of healers souls, get a healing bonus. Etc.
    3. Or, say you imbue an item with a particular person's soul. The item could reflect that player's presence within it, like it reflects the crafter's name.  Or instead of just displaying their name or something, maybe if you kill a particularly high level tank you get some stat bonuses that would be good for tanks, less so for less worthy souls.
    4. The cool thing about having to collect a number of souls is that, if they're droppable, that adds some serious risk to dying in RvR. (edit: this was in regards to some ideas suggesting that items would need X amount of souls to be crafted, or imbued with certain benefits, etc)
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    my guess on the soul thing is it either won't have much or any effect on you personally OR they will add it into the death penalty part of the game

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

Those souls could be used in so many different ways. one of tehm would be them to serve the same way Realm points did in DAoC of course. i have thought of so many different things that we could do with them too !

But not here, not now...:)

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• tauraktaurak Member Posts: 174

I like the idea of being able to capture soulds from dead players, and then using that to imbue your weapons and/or armor.

One thing I loved about DAoC so much was the armor with procs. Say if you stole a healer's soul you could add a healing proc to your armor with those souls, or a caster you could add some spell effects, warrior maybe a damage reflect, lots of possibilities to this.

Maybe we could even add in things to do with souls into the building system.

So many souls into the castle will give it some kind of a magical defense system that helps to protect your castle while you're asleep.

Now THAT would be cool. All castles before usually have archers on the walls.

What if we could have walls imbued with magic, that give off a small damage over time effect to any enemies near (not too powerful), or something along those lines. Would certainly be interesting :)

Originally posted by taurak

I like the idea of being able to capture soulds from dead players, and then using that to imbue your weapons and/or armor.

One thing I loved about DAoC so much was the armor with procs. Say if you stole a healer's soul you could add a healing proc to your armor with those souls, or a caster you could add some spell effects, warrior maybe a damage reflect, lots of possibilities to this.

So many souls into the castle will give it some kind of a magical defense system that helps to protect your castle while you're asleep.

What if we could have walls imbued with magic, that give off a small damage over time effect to any enemies near (not too powerful), or something along those lines. Would certainly be interesting :)

I like your thoughts.

X amount of souls per ghastly guard.  Successful RvRers could even 'hire' (or would enslave be a better term?) defenders for their personal dwellings / buildings.

Originally posted by redcapp
    Originally posted by taurak

I like your thoughts.

X amount of souls per ghastly guard.  Successful RvRers could even 'hire' (or would enslave be a better term?) defenders for their personal dwellings / buildings.

that would be a pretty sweet idea:)

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

[*] What actually happens to you as a result of losing a piece of your soul? [*] Say you kill a healer, get a "healer's soul". Imbue an item with X amount of healers souls, get a healing bonus. Etc. Or, say you imbue an item with a particular person's soul. The item could reflect that player's presence within it, like it reflects the crafter's name.  Or instead of just displaying their name or something, maybe if you kill a particularly high level tank you get some stat bonuses that would be good for tanks, less so for less worthy souls.
    The cool thing about having to collect a number of souls is that, if they're droppable, that adds some serious risk to dying in RvR. (edit: this was in regards to some ideas suggesting that items would need X amount of souls to be crafted, or imbued with certain benefits, etc)

hrm you could potentially make soul looting a way in which you advance attributes or tune your character, collect so many warrior soul fragments and you can have the option levelup your str or HP...etc...of course there would have to be a detrimental effect to perhaps another stat because of horizontal progression.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    Originally posted by skyexile

[*] What actually happens to you as a result of losing a piece of your soul? [*] Say you kill a healer, get a "healer's soul". Imbue an item with X amount of healers souls, get a healing bonus. Etc. Or, say you imbue an item with a particular person's soul. The item could reflect that player's presence within it, like it reflects the crafter's name.  Or instead of just displaying their name or something, maybe if you kill a particularly high level tank you get some stat bonuses that would be good for tanks, less so for less worthy souls.
    The cool thing about having to collect a number of souls is that, if they're droppable, that adds some serious risk to dying in RvR. (edit: this was in regards to some ideas suggesting that items would need X amount of souls to be crafted, or imbued with certain benefits, etc)

hrm you could potentially make soul looting a way in which you advance attributes or tune your character, collect so many warrior soul fragments and you can have the option levelup your str or HP...etc...of course there would have to be a detrimental effect to perhaps another stat because of horizontal progression.

and so much more... :)

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

......sounds like the gem augment system from Diablo 2 &3

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

Originally posted by TheJoda
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

......sounds like the gem augment system from Diablo 2 &3

or even like path of exile.. could bind actual abilities to souls or enhance/change current abilities.. lots of things you could do with that type of system

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287
    Any link to this system? Tried Googling it and came up with nothing except this thread.
  • naezgulnaezgul Member Posts: 374

Regarding horizontal progression.....I would like to know...

@MJ If you have a maxxed character hypothetically given a rating of 100 What rating would someone starting day 1 rate? Given same gear. Also top gear forged in TD in the best materials...if rated 100...... What rating would starting gear have, what rating for the gear just under he TD gear?

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Originally posted by Kyelthis
    Any link to this system? Tried Googling it and came up with nothing except this thread.

Which, the Path of Exile system or the one for Camelot Unchained?

CU's is just in concept stage, relating to bounties for RvR deaths.  There was a bunch of brainstorming on the kickstarter comment page after Mark announced he likes bounties and was entertaining the idea of instead of getting loot or items from another player, you'd get a piece of their soul. So, no actual system yet.

Path of Exile, you should be able to find that somewhere. The game might still be in open beta, too. If so, you should be able to DL and get in the game free.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    To quote the lead Cenobite from Hellraiser......"We'll tear your soul apart!"

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot