Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Mark Jacobs a Visionary? Is he asking for too much?

NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372

Prepositional phrase: ahead of one's time

1. (idiomatic) In advance of concurrent commonly accepted ideas; showing characteristics of changes yet to be; present in one's work before later advances in the field.

It is written that Columbus set out to prove that the world was round, and in the face of laughter from his peers, did set sail and ‘discovered’ new lands.

“Nikola Tesla was a visionary genius whose sometimes radical ideas established the basis for everything that now powers our world with energy and information. Without his inventions the widespread electrification that touched the majority of people on the planet would not have been possible”

Mark Jacobs much like Jules Verne and H.G. Wells looked into a window of the future and from those visions they crafted profound fictional worlds.

So is MJ a visionary?  I think he may be.  And as usual, the masses have a hard time believing that the world could be different from what they already know.

What do you think?

Nanulak

Comments

• augustgraceaugustgrace Member UncommonPosts: 628

1)  You're being ridiculous

2)  Columbus didn't set out to prove the world was round; it was already known.

• lolunaticlolunatic Member Posts: 108

...........................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Get back to me on May 2 at 11:57am and I'll let you know if Mark is a visionary or not.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472

The world isn't round.

Isn't math and physics taught anymore?

Sz

:o)

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by lolunatic

...........................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...................................../
    .............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,__......`,.................................
    ...................`=~-,,.,...............................
    ................................`:,,...........................`..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_..........._,-%.......`
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`

That is a fantastic piece of modern art. I wonder if a double facepalm version of this exists.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

There's two ways to look at this. He's a visionary for trying something new, a completely RvR based game. Then again he's going back to an old idea that was the basis of DAoC and just removing the PvE from it, then throwing in some BSC stuff and new names/races.

It's a hard one to pin down. I think it's a combination of them both. It's like he's taking the original idea behind DAoC and saying to us "This is how I would have done it if I knew then what I know now" or maybe it's "This was a great idea but look at what I can do with it second time around".

As to the question of if he's asking too much, well I think he knows he's asking a lot. He seems to be fully aware that the game isn't going to be a mainstream title and he's prepared to accept that fact. The fact that the KS has raised as much as it has so far is an indication that there is a market for the game, it just may be a bit smaller than he anticipated looking at the number of pledges.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    This is some next level trolling. I refuse to believe it's a real post.