Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat System

13»

Comments

• sinothsinoth Member Posts: 175

While we preach about FPS, that doesn't mean its all we want the option for. I'd like to see 3rd person as an option just as much as the next guy. What we mean when we say FPS combat is the ability to actually direct your attack with the cursor, much like an FPS game. This could be done in first person, but also in third person. I wouldn't worry... no official word on this, but it seems very likely they will add in an option for third person as well as first. I personally would use third for roleplay and first for fighting, so I hope they have both.

http://www.fallenearth.se - Your source for Fallen Earth information

• drycatdrycat Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by sinoth

While we preach about FPS, that doesn't mean its all we want the option for. I'd like to see 3rd person as an option just as much as the next guy. What we mean when we say FPS combat is the ability to actually direct your attack with the cursor, much like an FPS game. This could be done in first person, but also in third person. I wouldn't worry... no official word on this, but it seems very likely they will add in an option for third person as well as first. I personally would use third for roleplay and first for fighting, so I hope they have both.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

If they just use FPS type controls, the game will be fine.  If they try to mimic an FPS ala SWG NGE combat, this game will suck.   Since this game involves a lot of shooting...go FPS.    Iwon't even consider it if it doesn't use this form of combat.  I'm tired of messing with games that insist on using the old roll of dice method combat.

You can still make it an MMORPG though.  Let us pick and choose where to put our stats and those stats determine, our strength, speed, agility, constitution and such.  A weak character couldn't handle an M60 machine gun the way a stronger character could.  A smart character may have access to hiugher-tech, a stupid person would not.  A person with a high constitution might be less susceptable to disease and such.  Get the picture? 

It is time for a company to break the old school mold and do something completely different.  This game could be the one.   But as I said, if they don't have a true FPS combat...I won't even bother.

• RipperjackAURipperjackAU Member Posts: 124

Originally posted by Teala

But as I said, if they don't have a true FPS combat...I won't even bother.

** Looks at Teala's signature **

Yup, I can see where that comment came from.

Well, I think what you are mistaking is that it is a true player controlled combat experience. The 3rd person view will just be for people's preference. No roleplaying stats involved. And yes, this means that those attempting to fight in 3rd person will be more challenged by those that decide to fight in 1st person, or vice versa, depending on the situation.

From the comments I have read and the responses to my emails, I don't see any need for you to fear that the combat system will be anything but an option of either 1st or 3rd person as a personal veiwing preference, with actual player control being the only combat element involved. The 1st vs. 3rd person is just a preference, not a hybrid of 1st and 3rd person combat that will affect how combat is conducted or calculated.

You can still have a third person view without dice-rolling. If they did implement this game with only the option for a 1st person view, they may as well cut off one of their arms. Figuratively speaking of course. image

**Glances at Teala's sig**

Is that a squad assault weapon I see in your sig? Or are you just being friendly?image

• mogge666mogge666 Member Posts: 10

I beleive that it shouldn´t be a strict fps-system, that belongs to games such as CS, halflife etc. Allthough a combination that a few have suggested is great.
    I think skill-system is a must-have in a mmorpg. a solution is that the better the skill is, the better the aim will be in ranged combat.

fps-system will eliminate quite many from FE, and i beleive that Icarus do want as many as possible to play this game so i think they will do a compromise with said suggestion..:)

Originally posted by mogge666

I beleive that it shouldn´t be a strict fps-system, that belongs to games such as CS, halflife etc. Allthough a combination that a few have suggested is great.
    I think skill-system is a must-have in a mmorpg. a solution is that the better the skill is, the better the aim will be in ranged combat.
    fps-system will eliminate quite many from FE, and i beleive that Icarus do want as many as possible to play this game so i think they will do a compromise with said suggestion..:)

I agree that they cannot completely ignore some form of skill-based system, or it becomes meaningless to play an RPG, which is foremost the development of your characters skills/abilities etc.. To appease FPS and 3rd person alike, it sounds like it is indeed some kind of hybrid system.

If it were purely an FPS based combat system, there would be no need in calling it an MMPORG. May as well just rename it to "Halo-Earth". image 

At that point they may as well port it to the XBox and forget about charging monthly fees and let them play it over XBox Live.

• VenaliciusVenalicius Member Posts: 33

I'm really looking foreward to this game because im hooked on Mmofps but none can seem to hook me. In neocron the blatent one setup trumps all through me off in an otherwise perfect game. That game had my blood flowing every time i was in a pvp setup or was near death fighting a mob. I'm very hardcore about my gaming but the lack of a community you could talk to was nearly painful for me in Planetside. The whole game was based on finding that next kill. It was fun dont get me wrong, but it wasnt for me. I hope this game can meld my favorite aspects of games into this great idea and it seems like it plans to!::::28::

• sinothsinoth Member Posts: 175

The FPS/RPG element is really not a new idea. Those of you who are afraid it won't work, or don't know how it will work, should play the first Deus Ex. Damn that game was great.... anyway, it is a perfect example of FPS/RPG. Give it a shot if you can get a hold of it.

http://www.fallenearth.se - Your source for Fallen Earth information

The FPS/RPG element is really not a new idea. Those of you who are afraid it won't work, or don't know how it will work, should play the first Deus Ex. Damn that game was great.... anyway, it is a perfect example of FPS/RPG. Give it a shot if you can get a hold of it.

I know what you are talking about, but the only thing I don't like about those FPS/RPG's is they have no 3rd person veiw. But, I know that you like the 3rd person for role-playing, which is really all I am worried about image

I just can't get attached to a game that's all FPS. I never get to see my toon !

**edit**

Of course, all the concerns and such have been addressed in this topic or another one like it, so the points or concerns I bring up are moot! Sorry for the delay in adding that statement to my reply here.

• RabiatorRabiator Member Posts: 358

Originally posted by drycat
    I know what you are talking about, but the only thing I don't like about those FPS/RPG's is they have no 3rd person veiw. But, I know that you like the 3rd person for role-playing, which is really all I am worried about image
    I just can't get attached to a game that's all FPS. I never get to see my toon !

An optional 3rd person view should not be too hard to program. Hey, even Neocron has one ::::39::
    So I think we can be optimistic...
  • EdgthoEdgtho Member Posts: 40

As a gamer using a satellite connection (which pings around 1000), I have very obvious reasons for not wanting a twitch-based gaming experience. More importantly, though, I feel that it would detract from the overall quality of an RPG.

Deus Ex was a great game because of its storyline and its structure, not because of its combat or its limited RPG elements. Combat in Deus Ex is often considered its weakest area. I think a better example of an "FPSRPG" (an MMOFPSRPG to boot), would be Face of Mankind, the game I mentioned in the PvP thread. Combat is done in the first person (although there is a third person mode that is far less accurate). It's a bunny-hopping, target-leading affair, and not fun by the standards of very many action gamers. Perhaps FE's combat will be better if it does go the FPS route, perhaps not. I do not know of any MMO's that deliver perfect latency to all of their players, regardless of whether or not they're using broadband, and I do not see how FE would be the first. There is still a huge technical aspect of this that should be acknowledged.

Even putting aside the connection issues, there's still the simple fact that skill in an online shooter and skill in a real-world apocalyptic wasteland - which is what this game game is trying to immerse us in - likely will not reflect one another. It's a weakness in the armor and I do not think that the game should focus on it as heavily as many are suggesting. I think it should be present, but that players shouldn't be forced to rely on it.

Of course, there's also the FAQ's insinuation that the game will be playable on dialup to consider, which, assuming it is accurate, implies that the game cannot rely entirely on twitchy FPS gameplay, since there is really no competition between broadband twitch gamers and dialup twitch gamers.

-----------------------------------
    Go you must.
    No guest shall stay
    in one place for ever.
    Love will be lost
    if you sit too long
    at a friend's fire.

-- The Havamal