Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game suprised me

ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
I haven't played the game yet but I am suprised by what I have learned about it so far. I had heard about it but wrote it off as another MMO using Dragons as it's only real hook. I'm glad I read a little more about it, seems there is alot more going for this game than what I had previously thought. Looking forward to trying it.

Comments

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I'm very much interested in the game. The dragon taming, action combat, and non-instanced housing all sound pretty damn nice. Runes of Magic was definitely one of the better WoW clones (loved the dual-class system) but Frogster (and now Gameforge) pretty much ruined it with a positively ridiculous cash shop.

Tempting as it is, I'm not going to throw any money at SOE for a founder's pack until I've played the game. Hopefully I'll get into the closed beta at some point.

• Hamger8Hamger8 Member Posts: 78
    I agree this game is something to look at it has no auto target or click and stand still you gotta dodge and move which is more action which I like. Im thinking of getting the $90 pack since it technically giving you free items for Dragon prohet and your technically buying 9000 SC and since I play planetside 2 that not a loss im really tempted to buy it. Think im wait it out more until I know how close is open beta so far they are at phase 2 which just started hopefully phase 3 is open beta since they said spring is when open beta will start.
  • jg768jg768 Member Posts: 3

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

Just don't forget that this game though published by Sony is actually developed by Runewaker which is best known for Runes of Magic, which was a pretty well known f2p game with good combat and ideas, but a TERRIBLE pay to win system, unheard of actually.

As much as this game will probably be fun to play and have good mechanics and combat, tread lightly guys cause in the end Runes of Magic was one of the worst pay to win games ever conceived and their support was less than awful, it was terible how they treated their gamers, most have abandoned it at this point and all I have to say is be careful cause they are very cunning and can drain your wallet before you realize it.

Sony is steeping into some heavy pay to win territory here and if you think it won't happen again cause Runewaker is under Sony's flag think again, just look at the price already JUST to join beta:https://www.dragonsprophetthegame.com/vip-access.vm

Also anyone that played Runes of Magc will notice the "bonus" items you get when you join the beta, there are alot of the same items that were in Runes of Magic like "home sweet home", "transport rune", "talent reset", etc...., so expect this game to be massive pay to win as you will need to pay to teleport to other zone, respec and tons more, they didn't even bother changing the name of the items lol.

Tread carefully.

• ThububThubub Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by Braindome

Just don't forget that this game though published by Sony is actually developed by Runewaker which is best known for Runes of Magic, which was a pretty well known f2p game with good combat and ideas, but a TERRIBLE pay to win system, unheard of actually.

As much as this game will probably be fun to play and have good mechanics and combat, tread lightly guys cause in the end Runes of Magic was one of the worst pay to win games ever conceived and their support was less than awful, it was terible how they treated their gamers, most have abandoned it at this point and all I have to say is be careful cause they are very cunning and can drain your wallet before you realize it.

Sony is steeping into some heavy pay to win territory here and if you think it won't happen again cause Runewaker is under Sony's flag think again, just look at the price already JUST to join beta:https://www.dragonsprophetthegame.com/vip-access.vm

Also anyone that played Runes of Magc will notice the "bonus" items you get when you join the beta, there are alot of the same items that were in Runes of Magic like "home sweet home", "transport rune", "talent reset", etc...., so expect this game to be massive pay to win as you will need to pay to teleport to other zone, respec and tons more, they didn't even bother changing the name of the items lol.

Tread carefully.

1. The game isn't pay to win.  Pay to win is a system where you pay for buffs or items that allow your character to have an advantage.  This advantage CAN'T be aquired by a free player (or requires some amount of time and effort to make it practically impossible) for a game to be considered "pay2win".  A lot of people on these forums create these over-dramatic and misleading "pay2Win" posts.  Probably every cash shop game that has a forum here has a thread devoted to it.  In most instances the posts are completely misleading.  Paying for cosmetic, flexibility, or convenience items isn't the same as pay2win. 

• You can't buy items in Dragon's Prophet that will make your character more powerful. 
    • Any item or buff involving stats that a paying customer has access to is also available to a person who pays nothing (either the identical item or an item of similiar worth in terms of gameplay). 
    • There is absolutely NOTHING in dragon's prophet that rationally leads to the conclusion that this is a pay2win model.  As a free player, you will be able to access all of the content, have access to all the items, and have all the skills that a paid player will have.   You may not have them as fast.  You may not have the same flexibility.  You may not be a special unique snowflake.  But it is not a pay2win system.

2.  You do not have to pay to get into beta.  Sony has already said it will make an effort to get those that apply and purchase nothing an opportunity to test the game.  Further, you aren't paying for beta.  You are paying for station cash and in-game items (depending on package) that you get at open beta. 

3.  This is not Runescape.  This is a different game.  SOE developers have made statements in interviews, on message boards, and in live broadcasts where they have repeatedly insisted that Dragon's Prophet is not and will not be a pay2win model.  From what I have seen, they are holding true to their word on that.  It's easy to come on a message board and be chicken little crying about how the "pay2win" sky is falling.  But those posts are never full of facts or rational conclusions based upon what is actually in the game.  Just some vague warning of "BEWARE THE PAY2WIN WILL GET YOU!" 

For those interested in the game but concerned that is a "pay2win" cash grab, the solution is simple.  Don't pay anything.  It's free.  When it releases try it out.  If you like it and want to shell out a little money for some station cash, go for it.  The thing about the cash shop model is that YOU DON"T HAVE TO PAY.  Which is why I don't understand the "pay2win" whiner posts anyway.  Did someone reach through the moniter and grab their wallet?

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    I bought into the title, look fleshed out enough for my tastes.  Some very neat features.  Can't wait to beta.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    SOE has had some problems in the past with their payment models, especially how they implement freemium, but I'd say they're one of the better companies about not dabbling in P2W.  DCUO, EQ2, and Vanguard are pretty good examples of games that offer convenience, perks, and cool extras while not making them more powerful than what you can get in-game by playing.
  • ThububThubub Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by jg768
    Originally posted by thubub

Don't know about pay2win, the CB2 got only 5 days, can't really go further  in this time frame.

But "Don't pay anything" sounds a good idea, see if the limited free slots is enough for you, and more importantly, if you love this game.

As I can recall, 2 free pet slots, 2 free dragon nest slots, like 24 or 32(?) free backpack and bank slots, maybe it works for you.

When I try unlock those slots it seems cheap at begining, the price goes up as you go further, its something like 40,80,120,160,200......, so maybe you want to use cash shop carefully .

When I realise how many points I've spent for unlock those slots, the next thought in my mind " $58 for one charactor ? I can buy a great game at this price, with whole content ! "

But again, I don't know if the price will stay the same when lunch.

For $39 you get a row of bag slots, a row of bank slots, and 4000 soe station cash points.  So that really isn't $58 for one character (see the vip pack).  Also, you are probably in violation of the NDA (ok, not probably - definitely).  Additionally, opening bank space on alts seems very unnecessary unless you are a hoarder.  I bought GW2 for 40ish, played it for two months then uninstalled it.  To me $20-40 on a game is a pretty good deal if you play it for more than 3 months.  But as I said, you can play it for free.  If you don't like it, dont pay.  If GW2 had that system in place I wouldn't have dropped the $40 on it.  For me, the $40 vip is a great value.  Plenty of station cash, lots of convenience items to start me off, a house, and a dragon in-game are all good for me.  If I had any doubts as to whether I would play it, I would just go the free route.  But like I said, its not "pay2win" and you don't have to pay anything if you aren't sure.  To me that's the best value you can get.  It lets you preview the game before you make a purchase.  It would be like going to the car lot and getting to drive a new car for a month free, then turning it back in because you don't like it.  People that complain about that type of model make me wonder.

Since the pricing are totally different between locations,
    Whatever I've saw here will be useless to you.
  • RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I got into beta today.. I'm still downloading it though and I didn't VIP anything.. Just signed up on beta registration site.
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Remember guys this may not be Sonys game, but the cash shop is SONY and run by sony they will not allow it to hurt the image of Sonys F2P Brand it will not be a p2w game as no other SOE game is and all of them are F2P now.
  • redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Well, got a key with the giveaway today so I figure I might as well try it out.  Did surprise me too.  I'm not too hyped up about it, but if it lives up to the promises it should be pretty cool.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Does this game have PvP? an Open World (theme park or sandbox-ish?). Anyone know?

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AzernoAzerno Member UncommonPosts: 23
    ANyone know if there are any plans for PvP in the game?
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

Originally posted by Tokken
    Does this game have PvP? an Open World (theme park or sandbox-ish?). Anyone know?

bump. How big is the game world? Is it pretty linear?

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

NDA, but thumbs UP on this one

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by ozmono
    I haven't played the game yet but I am suprised by what I have learned about it so far. I had heard about it but wrote it off as another MMO using Dragons as it's only real hook. I'm glad I read a little more about it, seems there is alot more going for this game than what I had previously thought. Looking forward to trying it.

haha from what i checked into ,it is ONLY Dragons.The whole design seems to be directly taken from the movie Avatar.

it does have a decent developer behind it,imo one of the better f2p developers.So imo it will be at least playable.

I do remember an older game Horizons that was predominantly Dragons and it did not go over too well and personally i was turned off by everyone playing dragons.

I have seen that gamers for some reason are fascinated by flight be it flying in Aion or on flying mounts.So give them the bad ass Dragons and i bet there will be a number of players.

I have no idea who was in control of the cash shop from ROM ,the developer or Frogster but if this game is as greedy as Rom was,then it will have a dead world.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314

This game looks like it has the same overly dragon centric theme just like Horizons. I love dragons, but their not very interesting when their's nothing for them to stand out against. All of your side kicks are dragons, dragons are now just sidekicks... and there aren't epic beasts beside dragons to really create a fantasy atmosphere or even thoughtful environment.

This kinda impacts me the same way sci fi aliens do in most cases, WTF why are all these aliens from across the universe bipedal, humanoid, and somehow even able to procreate with creatures from an entirely detached world... Dragon centric is not a great atmosphere for dragons...

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.