Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game list rating.

ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
I think it's time the site stopped the rating of the game being influenced by pretty much anyone that opens an account. I don't particularly mind hyped meters but there are some games high up on the list, that frankly, don't deserve to be there. Just average out the scores from your reviewers.

Comments

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    I think it's time the site stopped the rating of the game being influenced by pretty much anyone that opens an account. I don't particularly mind hyped meters but there are some games high up on the list, that frankly, don't deserve to be there. Just average out the scores from your reviewers.

Well, it's better that viral marketters and drones waste their time playing the meters instead of constantly spamming the forums to promote their games. Don't get me wrong, they still do both and in quite annoying fashion, but the time spent creating accounts to upvote their game is just a bit less time spent promoting and it's all worth it.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

Well, it's better that viral marketters and drones waste their time playing the meters instead of constantly spamming the forums to promote their games. Don't get me wrong, they still do both and in quite annoying fashion, but the time spent creating accounts to upvote their game is just a bit less time spent promoting and it's all worth it.

Sure, and the more time a killer spends abusing his victim is less he spends killing him. Ok, that's a dross comparison, but it reflects poorly on the site that games like path of exile is up there alongside GW2 whilst the most famous MMO in the world (which I'm no fan of) is rated to be about as good as wizard 101.

• neobahamut20neobahamut20 Member Posts: 336
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

Sure, and the more time a killer spends abusing his victim is less he spends killing him. Ok, that's a dross comparison, but it reflects poorly on the site that games like path of exile is up there alongside GW2 whilst the most famous MMO in the world (which I'm no fan of) is rated to be about as good as wizard 101.

You got it all wrong, Mr. Herring. While the killer is abusing his victim he is not killing anyone else. I don't see how it reflects poorly on the site when the whole front page itself is far from a gem.

Boycotting EA. Why? They suck, even moreso since 2008.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

"I think it's time the site stopped the rating of the game being influenced by pretty much anyone that opens an account. I don't particularly mind hyped meters but there are some games high up on the list, that frankly, don't deserve to be there."

It's called democracy, everyone has a vote, and yes, sometimes you might not like the results. Apparently a lot of players other then you do think those bad games are worth that place on the list.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Muke

"I think it's time the site stopped the rating of the game being influenced by pretty much anyone that opens an account. I don't particularly mind hyped meters but there are some games high up on the list, that frankly, don't deserve to be there."

It's called democracy, everyone has a vote, and yes, sometimes you might not like the results. Apparently a lot of players other then you do think those bad games are worth that place on the list.

Yeah, sure. But Hitler was democratically elected too. But that's neither here nor there because what we have here is electoral fraud. That is people creating multiple accounts to push up the ratings of games.

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Before users can rate a game we require a ranking of 5/100.  While this is not that hard to get (a few logins or posts in the forums will do it after a 24 hour wait) - it does really cut back on a spammer making 500 accounts and using them to vote on games.

We do the best we can with IP limits on user registrations and the minimum rank requirement to vote.  In addition to this we do keep an eye on things that are suspicious - like a game that normally gets 1-3 votes per day all of the sudden seeing 50 votes in one day, etc.

If you see anything really suspicious please do report it to our Community Manager - [email protected]

Thanks!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    how about reset ratings & limit rating use to ppl with 100 posts? also ban spammers that are no doubt marketers trying to get 100 posts on many new accounts

hallo ~_~

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    And this is exactly why you should never trust any review ever...I never do.  There is only one person that can review a game and tell you if you're going to like it or not...that's you.
  • pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

I think all the ratings do is highlight certain titles for you to possibly check out.  It's not a shopping list by any stretch of the imagination.  "Look, game A has a high rating, maybe I should look into it?"  That's the only purpose of the ratings... if you see them as the Consumer Reports for games, you're sadly mistaken.

Ultimately it is up to you to make an informed decision about whether to try out a game or not.  If you choose to take the word of others as to the content of the game... or the developer for that matter, it's your choice.  Only you will decide if you like it and that only happens by actually trying it.

• piccio73piccio73 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Originally posted by Admin

Before users can rate a game we require a ranking of 5/100.  While this is not that hard to get (a few logins or posts in the forums will do it after a 24 hour wait) - it does really cut back on a spammer making 500 accounts and using them to vote on games.

We do the best we can with IP limits on user registrations and the minimum rank requirement to vote.  In addition to this we do keep an eye on things that are suspicious - like a game that normally gets 1-3 votes per day all of the sudden seeing 50 votes in one day, etc.

If you see anything really suspicious please do report it to our Community Manager - [email protected]

Thanks!

I'm a new registered user and I really appreciate the quality and the completeness of your reviews. Concerning the rating system, I agree with the previous messages, the obtained votes should be taken just as suggestions, but fighting against spamming is nevertheless essential to have a good service. Finally I would suggest to also add the numbers of votes in the row of the listed games. In fact more are the votes and more important is the rating, having 8 with 5000 votes is quite different with respect to having 8  with 100 votes. However, such information is already available once entering in the detailed rating page of each game. Thank you!

• WorrissWorriss Member Posts: 6
    The rating is a feature of the site that give us users  a freedom to vote, but for some it's an opportunity to hype their game, the admin already said their restrictions and requirement before an account votes for the game.  For me I am not basing the game on the rating but on the user reveiws