Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The New Xbox is being unveiled on 21 May 2013

fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I thought I would post this here :) I got an email from Xbox Live today to inform me that the new Xbox will be unveiled on the 21 May :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/apr/24/xbox-720-next-gen-reveal-21-may

Are you guys excited? Which next-gen console are you getting?  I have an Xbox 360 and am leaning towards getting the new Xbox 720 (or whatever it is called) but I am curious to see how it compares to the PS4. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Comments

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

To be honest, I'll probably only stick to PS4 for a while, as I'm barely touching my 360 as is and boot up my PS3 a lot more. But I'm still very excited, if not for the only reason that it'll put an answer to all the non stop rumors of "always online" and "will block used games."

I doubt either of those will be true, but it'll put a silence to them =)

• ionxeelionxeel Member UncommonPosts: 318

Right now I'm leaning more towards PS 4, but I'd still like to see what the new Xbox has to offer to make up my mind. One of the reasons why I'm more interested in PS 4, is because it doesn't always require you to be connected to the internet in order to play. I know that we're in an age where internet is a must, but shit happens and I don't want to have a useless console if my connection goes down for a while. To put it simply, quoting XBox executive, I DON'T want to "deal with it".

I'd like to also add that I'm really excited about Bungie's new game, Destiny.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by ionxeel

Right now I'm leaning more towards PS 4, but I'd still like to see what the new Xbox has to offer to make up my mind. One of the reasons why I'm more interested in PS 4, is because it doesn't always require you to be connected to the internet in order to play. I know that we're in an age where internet is a must, but shit happens and I don't want to have a useless console if my connection goes down for a while. To put it simply, quoting XBox executive, I DON'T want to "deal with it".

I really hope this is not true. I think it hasn't been confirmed that the Xbox has an always online requirement. It's just a rumour. I am still undecided which exclusives I like more. 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by fivoroth

I really hope this is not true. I think it hasn't been confirmed that the Xbox has an always online requirement. It's just a rumour. I am still undecided which exclusives I like more. 

The fact Bungie has been such a major part of Xbox this past generation and now they have suddenly switched over to supporting the Playstation 4 with exclusive content has me feeling that some of these bad rumours may turn out to be true. Or it may just prove that Microsoft really does treat their developers like crap.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Looking foward to this for sure.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Microsoft might do a Sony and unveil their controler and a few ideas and concepts. My guess is that Sony and Microsoft would rather see what the competition is doing before commiting to a design. It might be a case of who blinks first. But the rumour that keeps comming up with the new x-box is that mobile phones will have a part to play. I'm not too excited to be honest, the only thing I seem to turn my x-box or PS3 on right now is to watch things like netflix or other streams.
  • CheestCheest Member Posts: 8
    I don't play xbox game but will looking forward for this on May :0 thanks!
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i personally will stick to PS4. I will not miss my 360 and ps3 so ill trade them at gamestop for a ps4. No matter how good the new xbox ends up being,  im not interested in paying MicroSoft to let me play online games using the same internet i already pay at home. Also the PS Plus is not mandatory and still offers a lot more than xbox live.

I am personally done with anything xbox related. For good. The PS4 already has one of the two things why i own a 360 (cross game voice chat). Wont be needing an xbox anymore.

That is just me.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Sony seems to have the more interesting exclusives, especially the stuff from Naughty Dog.  Microsoft has Halo and Gears of War, neither of which are particularly interesting.

You make me like charity

Originally posted by Shauneepeak

The fact Bungie has been such a major part of Xbox this past generation and now they have suddenly switched over to supporting the Playstation 4 with exclusive content has me feeling that some of these bad rumours may turn out to be true. Or it may just prove that Microsoft really does treat their developers like crap.

Isn't Bungie now developing for PS in addition to Xbox? Didn't they go multiplatform or did I miss something? Are they offering exlusive PS content which is not coming to the Xbox?

Originally posted by asmkm22
    Sony seems to have the more interesting exclusives, especially the stuff from Naughty Dog.  Microsoft has Halo and Gears of War, neither of which are particularly interesting.

My thoughts exactly. Off the top of my head, I can only think of three Xbox exclusives - Halo, GoW and Forza. Of these I only like Forza. I think Forza 4 is sooooooooooooooooooo much better than GT5 :D but I guess one exclusive might not be worth it.

Isn't Bungie now developing for PS in addition to Xbox? Didn't they go multiplatform or did I miss something? Are they offering exlusive PS content which is not coming to the Xbox?

Originally posted by asmkm22

My thoughts exactly. Off the top of my head, I can only think of three Xbox exclusives - Halo, GoW and Forza. Of these I only like Forza. I think Forza 4 is sooooooooooooooooooo much better than GT5 :D but I guess one exclusive might not be worth it.

Yes, during the Playstation 4 conference Bungie confirmed the Ps4 version of Destiny will be getting exclusive content.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    The next generation Xbox will basically be a slower version of the PlayStation 4.
  • XxGrimmxXXxGrimmxX Member UncommonPosts: 223
    Yeah they're calling it the Xbox Infinity. There I saved you a month.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Originally posted by Quizzical
    The next generation Xbox will basically be a slower version of the PlayStation 4.

Same thing they said about the Xbox 360 and look how that turned out.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I'm done with consoles.  Between thier poor manufacturing, high costs (for what they do), and inevitable loss of support, consoles are dead to me.  

In the last generation I went through 3 xbox 360s (luckily all covered under the warranty I bought), and 2 playstation 3s (also covered by warranties, but cost $70 to ship back and forth...really?).  Consoles have gone way down hill.  They may be more popular than back when I was playing on my NES or Atari 2600, but both of them still work fine...and I only ever had one of them.   If that doesn't show how good they make consoles these days, I dunno what will.  At least computers last ~10 years before usually the graphics card fries.

For the price of consoles, you can get a good mid range gaming computer that will do more than just play games and netflix, not to mention the keyboard/mouse is a much better set up that generally comes free with any computer...and you can always use your old keyboard and mouse...if you want to use a controller on a PC you can do so easily.  There are both drivers for xbox and ps3 controllers.  So I look at it you get all the peripherals you need to play for free.  Games for consoles also seem to lack content,  If you look at PC only games like MMOs, You'll get several hundred hours of playtime out of them for the same price.  On a console, I don't think I've gotten over 100 hours since Ocarina of Time for the N64.  Maybe Mariokart for the wii...

Eventually, even on PC, you lose support and people stop making games that will run on your system.  It just seems that with consoles it happens alot quicker.  Most PC games require you to at least have a Geforce 8800, which was released in 2006...which also happens to be the same year the PS3 launched, the xbox 360 was launched a year before.  Now even though they have launched all around the same time as the Geforce 8800.  Most people have a computer with a graphics card newer than that.  People tend to update or buy a new computer around every 4 years on average, at least that's what they tell you in Dell classes when you work for them hehe.  I know that consoles get "updated" with new versions every once in awhile too, but really the graphics quality doesn't change much between the versions, unlike computers.

Summary: Computers are just superior in everyway over consoles...

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Gravarg

I'm done with consoles.  Between thier poor manufacturing, high costs (for what they do), and inevitable loss of support, consoles are dead to me.  

In the last generation I went through 3 xbox 360s (luckily all covered under the warranty I bought), and 2 playstation 3s (also covered by warranties, but cost $70 to ship back and forth...really?).  Consoles have gone way down hill.  They may be more popular than back when I was playing on my NES or Atari 2600, but both of them still work fine...and I only ever had one of them.   If that doesn't show how good they make consoles these days, I dunno what will.  At least computers last ~10 years before usually the graphics card fries.

For the price of consoles, you can get a good mid range gaming computer that will do more than just play games and netflix, not to mention the keyboard/mouse is a much better set up that generally comes free with any computer...and you can always use your old keyboard and mouse...if you want to use a controller on a PC you can do so easily.  There are both drivers for xbox and ps3 controllers.  So I look at it you get all the peripherals you need to play for free.  Games for consoles also seem to lack content,  If you look at PC only games like MMOs, You'll get several hundred hours of playtime out of them for the same price.  On a console, I don't think I've gotten over 100 hours since Ocarina of Time for the N64.  Maybe Mariokart for the wii...

Eventually, even on PC, you lose support and people stop making games that will run on your system.  It just seems that with consoles it happens alot quicker.  Most PC games require you to at least have a Geforce 8800, which was released in 2006...which also happens to be the same year the PS3 launched, the xbox 360 was launched a year before.  Now even though they have launched all around the same time as the Geforce 8800.  Most people have a computer with a graphics card newer than that.  People tend to update or buy a new computer around every 4 years on average, at least that's what they tell you in Dell classes when you work for them hehe.  I know that consoles get "updated" with new versions every once in awhile too, but really the graphics quality doesn't change much between the versions, unlike computers.

I don't really agree with you. I have had far more problems with PCs breaking down for one reason than another in a whole year than I have with a lifetime of consoles. Drivers, crashes, compatability issues and hardware problems. Consoles I can just plug in and be pretty confident my game won't crash, have loading issues etc. etc. Using consoles doesn't require some expertise, they are user friendly and it's just the lack of keyboard and mouse games that actually hold it back.

However, I think the debate is getting more irrelevent as the two platforms are moving closer and closer toghether that in a few years time they will be practically indistinguishable.

Consoles are not so expensive as you make them out to be. For the price you spent on a console you will never get even a semi-decent computer. Also you are making the assumption that most people have PCs and use them for other things besides gaming. But a lot of people, including me, have laptops and we don't see the point of getting a desktop, except for gaming. In my case I will have to buy a PC solely for the purpose of gaming as I need laptop. Then again I game on my laptop BUT that can be extremely expensive and you will definitely not get a decent laptop which can run games well for the price of a console! Combine that with my need for mobility. I can't buy one of those crazy "gaming" laptops which are 17 inches lol.

In the last generation I went through 3 xbox 360s (luckily all covered under the warranty I bought), and 2 playstation 3s (also covered by warranties, but cost $70 to ship back and forth...really?).  Consoles have gone way down hill.  

I have only bought two Xboxs throughout the whole last generation. The first one was the very first one MS released and then the second one was the slim version. My first Xbox was working perfectly fine. I just sold it because I wanted a slim. My slim Xbox is still working without any hiccups!

They may be more popular than back when I was playing on my NES or Atari 2600, but both of them still work fine...and I only ever had one of them.   If that doesn't show how good they make consoles these days, I dunno what will.  At least computers last ~10 years before usually the graphics card fries. Your PC might be able to run after 10 years but it will be near worthless. A 10 yeard old PC will not be even able to play most of the videos that are out now, not even talking about HD quality here. You will not be able to play any games. So this point is moot.

No you don't! Mice and keyboards cost money. So do controllers. True a mouse and a keyboard might come with your PC but that is not always the case. Although they are dirt cheap unless you go for high-end stuff like Razer. However, you WILL have to buy a controller just like you have to buy one for your consoles. Although all consoles do come with a controller, albeit it's only 1. And there are quite a few games which you need controllers for on the PC. For example, racers need a controller. True you can play with the keyboard but it is a painful experience.

Eventually, even on PC, you lose support and people stop making games that will run on your system.  It just seems that with consoles it happens alot quicker. WRONG! So very wrong!

Most PC games require you to at least have a Geforce 8800, which was released in 2006...which also happens to be the same year the PS3 launched, the xbox 360 was launched a year before. Yet the Xbox and PS3 will provide you with better visual quality and most importantly - very smooth frame rates. So the XBox you bought in 2005/6 can play all the latest games in 2013! Now even though they have launched all around the same time as the Geforce 8800.  Most people have a computer with a graphics card newer than that.  People tend to update or buy a new computer around every 4 years on average, at least that's what they tell you in Dell classes when you work for them hehe.  I know that consoles get "updated" with new versions every once in awhile too, but really the graphics quality doesn't change much between the versions, unlike computers.

And you missed one of the most important thing about consoles. Exclusive games. There are so many games which never come to the PC and I can think of very few AAA high budget games which come to the PC but do not come to the consoles. But there are tons of those which are console exlusives. If you don't have an Xbox and/or PS3 you're missing on brilliant games like:

Any fighting game you can think of - Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter (although some of them are coming to the PC now), Tekken and a lot of others which I can't remember :D Injustice: Gods amongst us looks like a great new fighting game which is NOT coming to the PC.

Racing simulators like GT, Forza.

Red Dead Redemption, Halo, GoW, Uncharted, Kill Zone, God of War, Heavy Rain, LittleBigPlanet, Metal Gear Solid etc. Actually much easier to point you to the HUGE list of great games which are not on the PC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_exclusives_(seventh_generation)

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

After my 2nd Xbox 360 went kaput I bought a PS3 and have never looked back. I still have that same PS3 5 years later still going strong.

Needless to say when I do buy a new console it will be a PS4.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

The alway online thing isn't a rumor, someone said it on twitter, I want to say a dev or someone and said "Deal with it."

To be honest I don't know what's so bad about that can someone explain to me please either pm me or in this thread.

I'm getting both xbox and ps4. Also build my own desktop, I'm mainly getting it cause sport games and friends, exclusives, and just cause I digg consoles.

edited: I'm talking about the always online feature not the "Deal with it." part.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by RizelStar

The alway online thing isn't a rumor, someone said it on twitter, I want to say a dev or someone and said "Deal with it."

To be honest I don't know what's so bad about that can someone explain to me please either pm me or in this thread.

I'm getting both xbox and ps4. Also build my own desktop, I'm mainly getting it cause sport games and friends, exclusives, and just cause I digg consoles.

For a console to always have to be connected to the internet pretty much sucks. What if you move and its 2 weeks before the internet is hooked up, a bad storm takes down internet for the weekend, you lose you job and have to cut expenses and internet goes. I am sure there are plenty of other scenarios, but you should get the jist. Not being able to play your console and rendering it useless under the many circumstances where internet is not available is unacceptable.

I will personally deal with it and not purchase one that has this requirement. Be it PS4 or Xbox

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by jdnewell

For a console to always have to be connected to the internet pretty much sucks. What if you move and its 2 weeks before the internet is hooked up, a bad storm takes down internet for the weekend, you lose you job and have to cut expenses and internet goes. I am sure there are plenty of other scenarios, but you should get the jist. Not being able to play your console and rendering it useless under the many circumstances where internet is not available is unacceptable.

I will personally deal with it and not purchase one that has this requirement. Be it PS4 or Xbox

Damn, that does suck, for their sake they should change that lol.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

edited: I'm talking about the always online feature not the "Deal with it." part.

You have to remember despite what many people think the United States is not very modern as a whole I live in Maine and the Internet is beyond horrible up here. My family pays $35 a month for 7.5Mbps and we barely ever get over 2Mbps during the night it is usually around 1.2Mbps or below droping down to as low as 0.2Mbps and 20% of the time we don't have internet at all. This is also not just me internet plain sucks in Maine my colleges internet seems to be down 40% of the time back in High School we always had issues with the wifi. Time Warner is the best we have up here and I still here people constantly complain about not having internet even though they pay over $80 a month for it.

Just to do give you an idea of just how bad Maine is when it comes to crap like this go to any cell-phone providers website and look at the United States coverage map then go to Maine only around 15% of the state has coverage and none of it is over 3G sure like 40% of our state is government wildlife preserves and state parks but that still leaves the other 60% where people live.

Feel lucky I had a friend go through around 8 360s before he said screw it and got a PS3 said it was one of the best decisions he has made. Also I will agree a good gaming comp will almost always out perform a console the rare exception being the few games that truly used the PS3's cell processor to its full potential which we are now sadly losing.

Also many games say an 8800 will run it but won't that normally get you barely above low on most modern games which for nearly all would be worse than a console. I believe Crysis 2 on PS3 was equivalent to low settings but I'm not sure.

Usually the biggest reason people buy a console to begin with is because they can't afford to dishout $800 for a mid-range gaming comp, don't want to deal with the hassle of constantly updating windows and viruses, and/or don't want to dishout another $300 a few years down the road to upgrade the system they have already paid $800 for, also don't forget surprisingly many people are too stupid to install a game ridiculous IK.

also don't forget surprisingly many people are too stupid to install a game ridiculous IK.

I think that's a bit harsh. I don't think anyone who can use a PC will have any troubles installing a game. The installation for every game is something like > Boot CD > Install > Next > Next > Bam installed and you can now play it. The people who can't operate a PC at all most likely will not have a console either hehe.