Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

just bought the second tier VIP beta access thing

pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
who else here has bought VIP beta access packs? did anybody get the 90 dollar one with the badass black dragon? I would have liked to have had that thing available some other way, since I couldn't shell out 90 dollars for really any game. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

Comments

• deviltheorydeviltheory Member Posts: 33
    I was about to get the 40 dollar one, but in every video I've seen I couldn't find a sword and board tank which is the only type of character I like to play in fantasy games.  If anyone has any footage or a link that could prove otherwise I'd love to see it.  The 40 dollar one seems like a decent deal too if you play any other SOE games.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by deviltheory
    I was about to get the 40 dollar one, but in every video I've seen I couldn't find a sword and board tank which is the only type of character I like to play in fantasy games.  If anyone has any footage or a link that could prove otherwise I'd love to see it.  The 40 dollar one seems like a decent deal too if you play any other SOE games.

http://dragons-prophet-europe.wikia.com/wiki/Guardian

Guardians can use hammers, axes or swords to fight their enemies. They can also go with a sword and shield combination, which will give them higher survivability in combat. Guardians are the only known class for being able to use heavy armor, which makes them even more capable to sustain hits.

anyway i got the $40 one

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ThububThubub Member UncommonPosts: 62
    Originally posted by deviltheory

Check out the livelink post.  They show game footage and the warrior class is featured.  Also, I have been reading that you can buy multiple packages for an account.  So if you arent sure or want to wait on the 90 dollar one, you can add it later (or if you want both dragons).  There is a little overlap, but not much.  Also, Dragon's Prophet looks like it will have a lot of convenience features that can be bought with station cash.  So if you really get into the game, adding an extra pack might be a decent investment.

• deviltheorydeviltheory Member Posts: 33
    You sir have just completely made my day.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Setting aside a little cash for the $90 package myself.  But I'll be trying out the beta before dropping the cash (can never be too careful)

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• SwankdSwankd Member UncommonPosts: 243

The $20 VIP doesnt sound too bad

Haven't really seen enough to motivate me to dish out $40 or $90

The Black Dragon definitely looks pretty sweet though

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Heres the thing with founders packs and DCE ect.

The items you get are always average in the short term and useless in the long run.

That black dragon im sure will be eclipsed by another cash shop dragon if not immediately down the road a bit.

For this game i wait untill launch and then decide if im going to stick around, if i do ill make a small cash shop purchase (im not a deadbeat gamer)

Ive heard some rumors that the game is still far from being launch ready (if you can read between the lines there) not sure how true that is, and i expect it to be not ready for launch.  Still, given how ROM turned out and how years later there still existed the same glitches and issues/bugs in that game, im somewhat skeptical. 

I hope SOE controls the cash shop though, PS2 has a good cash shop thats not P2W and cheap, ROM was pay to win and expensive.  Im sure it will be expensive due to the middle man mark up though.

Anyway im not doing founder packs for any free game, ever, i just dont support that type of cash grab.  If the game is good it will stand on its own just fine and be worth the money spent.  Also i will not pay for beta for a free game.  If its a paid game and i preorder ill check beta out typically.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by BrownAle

Heres the thing with founders packs and DCE ect.

The items you get are always average in the short term and useless in the long run.

That black dragon im sure will be eclipsed by another cash shop dragon if not immediately down the road a bit.

For this game i wait untill launch and then decide if im going to stick around, if i do ill make a small cash shop purchase (im not a deadbeat gamer)

Ive heard some rumors that the game is still far from being launch ready (if you can read between the lines there) not sure how true that is, and i expect it to be not ready for launch.  Still, given how ROM turned out and how years later there still existed the same glitches and issues/bugs in that game, im somewhat skeptical. 

I hope SOE controls the cash shop though, PS2 has a good cash shop thats not P2W and cheap, ROM was pay to win and expensive.  Im sure it will be expensive due to the middle man mark up though.

Anyway im not doing founder packs for any free game, ever, i just dont support that type of cash grab.  If the game is good it will stand on its own just fine and be worth the money spent.  Also i will not pay for beta for a free game.  If its a paid game and i preorder ill check beta out typically.

i look at it this way for the $40 pack you get 4k Sony Cash.. 5k sony cash costs $45 bucks.. so pretty much paying for the SC that i could use on any of sonys other games if dragon prophet doesn't turn out the way i like... if i do like it i not only get into closed beta but also get some extras to go with it.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DalekThayDalekThay Member Posts: 52

This game has definitely piqued my interest, both as a lover of dragons (I have more dragon-related stuff than I care to admit) and of action combat MMOs. The player housing certainly doesn't hurt either.

Not sure if I'm willing to spend more than $20 just to see if the game is any good though...

• ThububThubub Member UncommonPosts: 62

You can still sign up for beta without spending anything.  VIPs get priority of course, but you can still get in the closed beta with no purchases.  That being said, I am in between games and this is comparable in price to GW2 for the tier 2 package so that is what I went with.  I played EQ2 and Vanguard and enjoyed those, so I don't have any sony "hate". 

I did the beta for darkfall earlier in the year and that was a mindnumbing frustrating grind.  I may just dabble in cb to get a feel for it, then wait for the open beta.   As for the dragons, it seems they are very flexible in terms of abilities.  You can even transfer one dragon's ability to another dragon through a training mechanic.  Also, they level up and grow as you level up.  You will have multiple dragons available to you, so I don't think the starter dragon wil be obsolete at any point.  Also, you get a starter house to play with.  That's a good enough value for me.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Being one of the RoM CB players there and watching how it immediately turned to a item shop game like Atlantica Online level (I know Atlantica launched years later, just saying) or worse, I stepped back from buying a founders package.

I'm waiting for answers to my questions about the housing system mechanics and would like to know if they will add dragons in the item shop.

If they start adding dragons, equips with stats and such items in the item shop then I'll definately won't play this game, nor will I ever recommend it to anyone.

As about Beta Access, I have applied a code and the bar has me still in the lowest status of consideration (end of the bar) out of 5 possibilities.

This alone shows that with a beta code you end up at the rear end, with spend money and depending on the amount you spent, you are between the 1st to the 4th "level" of consideration.

Even I understand that they are a business and need to make money to exist, such a approach makes the game less appealing and most of all raises the feeling that the game will be very item shop heavy.

I hope it won't cause it sounds quite interesting and I would really like to try it out and even play it (I love good housing and pet based systems), but I think we will have to wait and see how it turns out.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Originally posted by BrownAle Heres the thing with founders packs and DCE ect. The items you get are always average in the short term and useless in the long run. That black dragon im sure will be eclipsed by another cash shop dragon if not immediately down the road a bit. For this game i wait untill launch and then decide if im going to stick around, if i do ill make a small cash shop purchase (im not a deadbeat gamer) Ive heard some rumors that the game is still far from being launch ready (if you can read between the lines there) not sure how true that is, and i expect it to be not ready for launch.  Still, given how ROM turned out and how years later there still existed the same glitches and issues/bugs in that game, im somewhat skeptical.  I hope SOE controls the cash shop though, PS2 has a good cash shop thats not P2W and cheap, ROM was pay to win and expensive.  Im sure it will be expensive due to the middle man mark up though.   Anyway im not doing founder packs for any free game, ever, i just dont support that type of cash grab.  If the game is good it will stand on its own just fine and be worth the money spent.  Also i will not pay for beta for a free game.  If its a paid game and i preorder ill check beta out typically.  
    i look at it this way for the $40 pack you get 4k Sony Cash.. 5k sony cash costs $45 bucks.. so pretty much paying for the SC that i could use on any of sonys other games if dragon prophet doesn't turn out the way i like... if i do like it i not only get into closed beta but also get some extras to go with it.

I'm gonna get the $40 pack. It's a great deal.. house, dragon....and it will add to my SC stock pile. Muahahaha!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    I dunno, aside from the whole dragon taming thing, the game seems so generic.
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by birdycephon

That and quite a few of the dragon models look like they were ripped from Monster Hunter.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by birdycephon

That and quite a few of the dragon models look like they were ripped from Monster Hunter.

I understand the trepidation, it does seem pretty generic from afar. I'd say give it a try once it soft launches, personally im having more fun than I expected. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• BahamutKaiserBahamutKaiser Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Yeah, even in the developer preview 2 of the 4 dragons they shared were recolors of each other. I want this game to be good... But their steadily disappointing me more and more, feels like Aion all over again.

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, if they get angry, they'll be a mile away... and barefoot.

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    It's a shame on my part because I think the game sounds interesting, but I just will not play a f2p with a cast shop. I did get a beta invite last weekend without buying some pack so those of you out there that want to wait and try it out first it is possible to get a beta invite without buying a pack for now. I did not play the beta I don't remember when I applied but I guess I did at some point.