Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New KDF content isn't "new"

ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75

Just recycled Federation content....  I was hoping this wouldn't be the case, but it looks like Cryptic is staying true to form.  I have a feeling the "new" Romulan content will mostly be recycled Federation missions as well.  

LoR is exciting me less and less the more I read about it.

Comments

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    What do you expect from a low population game that makes it's living off a cash shop? 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Well, look on the bright side, players who never played Federation now have a chance to enjoy those missions too.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    What do you expect from a low population game that makes it's living off a cash shop? 

Cash shop yes but STO has a bigger population than you think.

As for recycled content its nothing new from them, this has been done once or twice already.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

^ It's not even that. Cryptic is just a lazy developer now. Their games are light on content and overall lack innovativation. They have become and are now a mediocre dev company. This is not the first time they are recycling material, it's just the latest incident.

Originally posted by Dragonantis

As for recycled content its nothing new from them, this has been done once or twice already.

I pop in the game every know and then and no it doesn' t have a large population. It's one server that rarely looks crowded and I doubt many of them are spending a dime. The game will get updates along with the recycled content from time to time but don't expect anything beyond that. 

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

You beat me to it.

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373

I pop in the game every know and then and no it doesn' t have a large population. It's one server that rarely looks crowded and I doubt many of them are spending a dime. The game will get updates along with the recycled content from time to time but don't expect anything beyond that. 

You beat me to it again. 

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

Stop spewing lies, the game has a very healthy population. While steam isn't the end all of stats, it has more active players than both lotro and dcu which are also doing well. We'll have to wait unti the actual content is released to make an assumption whether its recycled content or not, right now all cryptic is getting is blind hate, which quite frankly isn't fair.

Originally posted by Sciva

Stop spewing lies, the game has a very healthy population. While steam isn't the end all of stats, it has more active players than both lotro and dcu which are also doing well. We'll have to wait unti the actual content is released to make an assumption whether its recycled content or not, right now all cryptic is getting is blind hate, which quite frankly isn't fair.

Whatever dude. My response had nothing to do with hating Cryptic, it was based on my own observations. Obviously you and I have a very different definition of a healthy population and saying it's doing better than LOTRO and DCUO isn't much to brag about. 

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

KDF ?

Sounds like a German WWII simulation...

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

Whatever dude. My response had nothing to do with hating Cryptic, it was based on my own observations. Obviously you and I have a very different definition of a healthy population and saying it's doing better than LOTRO and DCUO isn't much to brag about. 

I on the other hand am hateing on cryptic, thier tactics are underhanded and cashgrabbing at best, yes i fill burned yes i dont like them and not i dont trust anything they do, i am not in the least bit suprised that STO is has followed champions in suit and i wont be suprised if thier new shiny dousnt follow suit. and if you dont agree i got a fridge i want to sell you

P.S. had to edit cause i got NCsoft and cryptic mixed up agian i keep doing that image

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• ValoreahValoreah Member Posts: 75

According to whom? Cryptic's graphs of "1 million Captains" doesn't mean much.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    I've played a few of the new missions on the test server.  They are NOT fed copies, some of them seem like it but its from their side of the story.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I agree that STO has decent pop and since I'm not on Tribble I can't say it for sure but as I heard klingon 1-20 won't be a Fed copy. So, this would've been an easy +1 post but... LotRO and DCUO? Seriously? :)

Ok, in DCUO's case it might be even possible (at least in the previous months), but update25 went live a few days ago so I checked back - the game seemed nicely packed with superheroes.

On the other hand, in LotRO's case you should check the login count graphs... :)

Edit: (just to clarify) I only tried to point out that it's irrelevant to measure player counts and playing e-peen between games since it doesn't mean anything to a game's health...

STO has a decent population usually, and during events it got boosted, like the last Anniversary where it was even a login queue, or at Q's wonderland where were 50+ zones at a time occasionally. Those facts should be enough on their own, imo :)

We'll have to wait unti the actual content is released to make an assumption whether its recycled content or not, right now all cryptic is getting is blind hate, which quite frankly isn't fair.

The posted screen caps in the linked thread are from the Tribble test server.  Those are recyled FED missions being tweeked to work for the KDF.  There's no question it's recycled content.

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Originally posted by Valoreah
    The posted screen caps in the linked thread are from the Tribble test server.  Those are recyled FED missions being tweeked to work for the KDF.  There's no question it's recycled content.

So does this mean that you won't play it?

My experience in STO was always that the dev-generated missions were, by and large, somewhat generic.  The best, lore-heavy missions always came out of the Foundry.... though from what I hear, the dev-written missions for the Romulan Republic have been really excellent.

My interest in Star Trek lore has been skewed toward the Romulans since Diane Duane wrote the Rihannsu novels.  If/when I return to STO, I will make a bee-line for the Foundry, because I know that my own best hope for truly engaging missions will come from there.

To each their own.  /shrug

Originally posted by GR3NDEL

I already have. It's recycled content. That's the point. ;)

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Cryptic has been doing this since the very start with CoH!

I mean.... how many actual different instance interiors were there at launch?

How many actual different kind of missions were there at launch?

• GR3NDELGR3NDEL Member UncommonPosts: 112

Dodging the question I see.  That's fine.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    [mod edit]

Or he could be lying.  Or he could just be claiming that he has already played it before because of the claim that it is recycled content.

Also, things go on the test server to get player feedback.  If they want changes, there is a good chance they will be made if enough people call for them.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    I've played on plenty of subscriber test servers , such as tribble. I've played on Tribble as well. Cryptic takes very little feedback from the player base and changes it. In fact they are notorious for changing nothing on test then releasing it live. I've seen massive thread with bugs and nothing changes , so you can put those fantasies away that Cryptic actually pays attention. Usually they change something if it's a really serious problem after the update goes live. I've played on 2 Cryptic test servers and it's extremely frustrating.

No, I didn't dodge your question.  The screen caps are from an existing Federation mission that I've already played which is getting a dialogue tweak to work for the KDF.  It's a recycled mission, no matter how you slice it.  No, I won't play through this one again.  Personally, I'm looking forward to the new (as in not recycled) content.

No, I didn't dodge your question.  The screen caps are from an existing Federation mission that I've already played which is getting a dialogue tweak to work for the KDF.  It's a recycled mission, no matter how you slice it.  No, I won't play through this one again.  Personally, I'm looking forward to the new (as in not recycled) content.

So, you know its recycled content from seeing a small amount of screencaps, and will not be willing to play through it to see if you are correct?

Riiiight, because knowing a mission is exactly the same as another mission with only dialogue being tweaked is totally dooable from seeing only a fraction of a fraction of the mission and not actually trying it.  

I'm also going to guess you think next to none of the content the expansion is new and that almost all of it is recycled, w

Originally posted by MadDemon64

So, you know its recycled content from seeing a small amount of screencaps, and will not be willing to play through it to see if you are correct?

No, I know it's recycled content because I've seen it for myself on the test server. Anyone who didn't have access to the closed BETA can cleary see what the mission in from the screen caps and by reading the linked post.

I'm also going to guess you think next to none of the content the expansion is new and that almost all of it is recycled, w

No, not at all actually. Quite the opposite. The new Romulan content is some of the best Cryptic has done so far and I am looking forward to it. I've said as much. My post was about the "new" content for the KDF. While that is true to a degree (eg. a new tutorial and some lower level missions), there is also a lot of recycled content. There are people out there who were under the impression that the KDF was also getting brand new level 1 to 50 content.

Originally posted by MadDemon64

No, I know it's recycled content because I've seen it for myself on the test server. Anyone who didn't have access to the closed BETA can cleary see what the mission in from the screen caps and by reading the linked post.

You do realize that sometimes stuff that is being tested is merely placeholder stuff, and that the final product might not be recycled at all, right?

Originally posted by Valoreah

No, not at all actually. Quite the opposite. The new Romulan content is some of the best Cryptic has done so far and I am looking forward to it. I've said as much. My post was about the "new" content for the KDF. While that is true to a degree (eg. a new tutorial and some lower level missions), there is also a lot of recycled content. There are people out there who were under the impression that the KDF was also getting brand new level 1 to 50 content.

Ah, well, ok then.