Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

memory question

eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
I am curious about what differences might be found with having dual 8GB memory modules instead of four 4GB memory modules for memory intesive applications.  Does anybody know if the memory controller would have any improvements either way?  It's an i5 system running on an Z77 chipset.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Four modules will put more stress on the memory controller than two, even with the same total memory capacity.  It will probably mean higher power consumption, and may mean that you can't overclock the memory as far.  Four modules means you fill all of the memory slots today, which leaves no room for future expansion without removing memory to free up slots.  All else equal, you'd rather have two modules than four to reach a given capacity.

But all else is not equal.  In particular, the price usually isn't equal.  8 GB modules often have a bit higher latency timings than 4 GB modules.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    ok. Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the latency timings and unless there is a substantial difference, I'll just go with the dual 8's.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.