Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does "Desterrated" mean?

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

This word is used in the synopsis of the book, "Metro: 2034", which is related to the game, "Metro: Last Light". I can infer what this word means from how it's used, but I can't actually find a definition of the word through Google.

Hordes of MMORPG.com unite! What does this word mean and where did you find the definition?

Metro: Last Light Wikipedia Page

Book - Metro: 2034 Wikipedia Page

Used in a sentence: Meanwhile, a man who has been desterrated from the station he governed dies due to the long exposure to the radiation at the surface.

I'm assuming it means forcibly removed from a post or membership within an organization or country, but I can't actually confirm this.

Anyone?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

It means they took away his beer.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dester/125819/

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • KurushKurush Member Posts: 1,303

I don't think this is a word in English, not even as an uncommonly-used or archaic word.  I've never seen it used (either in print or in spoken form), I can't find it in any dictionary, and it returns only a handful of unique results in Google.

The Spanish words "desterrada" or "desterrado" roughly equate to banished/exiled.  Desterrar is the verb form.  This in turn seems to be derived from Latin (dis and terra).

Your word sounds like a rough Anglicization of the Spanish terms.

Perhaps our Russian author speaks both languages and assumed that, like many Latin-based words, this Spanish word existed in English in some form?  He may have simply reconjugated the verb with a more English-appropriate suffix.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Kurush
    I don't think this is a word in English, not even as an uncommonly-used or archaic word.  I've never seen it used (either in print or in spoken form), I can't find it in any dictionary, and it returns only a handful of unique results in Google.The Spanish words "desterrada" or "desterrado" roughly equate to banished/exiled.  Desterrar is the verb form.  This in turn seems to be derived from Latin (dis and terra).Your word sounds like a rough Anglicization of the Spanish terms.Perhaps our Russian author speaks both languages and assumed that, like many Latin-based words, this Spanish word existed in English in some form?  He may have simply reconjugated the verb with a more English-appropriate suffix.

Thanks, that actually sounds pretty plausible. I'm going to go with that and call it the answer. :-) That is certainly more plausible than the word being corrupted Atlantean.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Grunty
    It means they took away his beer.http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dester/125819/

That doesn't explain why the other post apocalyptic tribes killed him because his beer was taken, or why those groups were so mean to his daughter.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Grunty
    It means they took away his beer.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/dester/125819/

That doesn't explain why the other post apocalyptic tribes killed him because his beer was taken, or why those groups were so mean to his daughter.

Simple. Since he no longer had a beer supply, he ran out of beer that he was bribing them with. That gave them a hangover due to the lack of beer. They blamed him for their hangovers. They killed him.

They'll get their comeuppance. They'll die from being poisoned by the beer because the brewers used water from the same river that the pig farmers dumped their diseased dead pigs into.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Originally posted by Kurush
    I don't think this is a word in English, not even as an uncommonly-used or archaic word.  I've never seen it used (either in print or in spoken form), I can't find it in any dictionary, and it returns only a handful of unique results in Google.

The Spanish words "desterrada" or "desterrado" roughly equate to banished/exiled.  Desterrar is the verb form.  This in turn seems to be derived from Latin (dis and terra).

Your word sounds like a rough Anglicization of the Spanish terms.

Perhaps our Russian author speaks both languages and assumed that, like many Latin-based words, this Spanish word existed in English in some form?  He may have simply reconjugated the verb with a more English-appropriate suffix.

Interesting... Nice research =)

"Desterrated" really sounds like a good word to add to the language though... It would work well with "defenestrated", "desiderated", and "disinterred"